Allow OP to lock thread?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
SmileyFace

Allow OP to lock thread?

Post by SmileyFace »

I'm a newer addict to this site and noticed a trend. Someone posts a question - they get many answers to the question. They state they are "all set - got what I need" kind of response. People continue to post OT messages, and in some cases, continue to help the OP even though his problem has been solved. A couple of recent examples:
- Someone asking for help with a wireless router - fixing the problem - then several posters missing he had fixed the problem and still trying to help
- Someone asking about the value of a specific watch....even after the OP bought the watch and was all set he continued to get commentary about the value of watches in general
....many more.....

Why not allow the OP to lock-the-thread when he feels he has what he needs? Will avoid lots of extra traffic and avoid having the moderator having to come in and do so?
Last edited by SmileyFace on Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
placeholder

Re: Allow OP to lock thread?

Post by placeholder »

I don't think the thread starter "owns" the thread so if people are getting use out of it then why not have it continue?
Topic Author
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

placeholder wrote:I don't think the thread starter "owns" the thread so if people are getting use out of it then why not have it continue?
Good point placeholder - however they could start another thread on the new topic if desired. Oftentimes there is banter that just continues. For instance - someone asked for suggestions on Electric Shavers. The thread has now partially turned into a discussion on whether to use electric or not. If the OT closed the thread - someone could start a thread with the more relevant title "Electric Shaver or Blade?".

BTW - not pushing hard on this - just a thought/suggestion to help manage some of the threads from getting out of control as many end up having to get locked by a Moderator....(personally - I know when I've had enough with a thread and stop keeping up).
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

Locking threads should be reserved for gross violations of forum policy.
Even moderators try not to lock threads at times but to warn and to edit out "offending" material from them.
This is forum is rather heavily moderated as is (not that it is bad, it helps to stay on topics and prevents trolls from derailing the discussions), and we certainly do not need to increase the amount of moderation IMHO.

Btw, one thing that I am very happy about is that old threads are not auto-locked after pre-defined period of time, like on some other forums. Because it can be both useful and fun to resurectr an old thread for a good reason, like illustration a point made in the thread a year or two later.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I've gotten help from threads after the OP has received his/her answer.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ This. There are countless times when someone adds useful information to a thread.

As stated previously, there's no sense starting a new topic when an older existing one will do just fine. Otherwise, the information gets scattered and reduces the productivity of the discussion.

Also consider that threads are there to help the lurkers - viewers reading the threads and not logging in. Adding to the information helps them as well. For example, this thread has 5 posts (before this one) and 303 views. That's 299 = (303 - 4)* viewers who are reading this thread for information.

Threads are not locked unless Forum Policy has been violated, which is for the moderators to decide.

*DaftInvestor posted twice.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Although I appreciate the this site, it would be helpful if comments could be upvoted since a 100 post thread can have the best answer in post 37 and thus buried.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

HoosierJim wrote:Although I appreciate the this site, it would be helpful if comments could be upvoted since a 100 post thread can have the best answer in post 37 and thus buried.
That's been discussed before: Why not add a "like" button to Boglehead posts? (not going to happen) and the other perspective Banning +1 in Boglehead forums (thread locked, got out of hand).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Leif

Post by Leif »

One thing I would find useful is the ability to remove myself from the "View Your Posts" section. That is not removing my response to a thread. Instead it would mean not having a thread pop up in the list that you responded to years ago.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Leif wrote:One thing I would find useful is the ability to remove myself from the "View Your Posts" section. That is not removing my response to a thread. Instead it would mean not having a thread pop up in the list that you responded to years ago.
You can go to Advanced Search and search "First post of topics only" to find only those threads you have started. (I do this occasionally to look over my own posts, since I have posted on so many threads in my seven years.)
Wiki David Grabiner
Allan

Post by Allan »

I wish there was a Tag function where you could tag a post for future reference. I'm sure this has been asked for before and can only assume it is not an easy function to implement.

Allan
lululu

Post by lululu »

Allan wrote:I wish there was a Tag function where you could tag a post for future reference. I'm sure this has been asked for before and can only assume it is not an easy function to implement.

Allan
bookmark or copy.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Allan wrote:I wish there was a Tag function where you could tag a post for future reference. I'm sure this has been asked for before and can only assume it is not an easy function to implement.

Allan
At the top of each post is the thread title - that's a link to that specific post, which you can bookmark.
Allan

Post by Allan »

prudent wrote:

Allan
At the top of each post is the thread title - that's a link to that specific post, which you can bookmark.
Thanks, I understand bookmarking an entire thread. I have done that. But more precisely I would like to be able to tag specific posts rather than an entire thread. For example, I have read Taylor's thread about the Three-Fund Portfolio, but it is very long. I would like to be able to tag 3-4 posts in that thread.

Allan
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Allan wrote:
prudent wrote:

Allan
Thanks, I understand bookmarking an entire thread. I have done that. But more precisely I would like to be able to tag specific posts rather than an entire thread. For example, I have read Taylor's thread about the Three-Fund Portfolio, but it is very long. I would like to be able to tag 3-4 posts in that thread.

Allan
The title of each reply is a link that takes you directly to that reply. For example: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 7#p2229492 will take you to the post to which I am responding.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Allan
You might look into Evernote. There are a lot of alternatives within Evernote ranging from copying the entire thread, single posts, URL only.

I have been doing this and it was very helpful for maintaining miscellaneous travel info on a recent trip.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Leif

Post by Leif »

grabiner wrote:
Leif wrote:One thing I would find useful is the ability to remove myself from the "View Your Posts" section. That is not removing my response to a thread. Instead it would mean not having a thread pop up in the list that you responded to years ago.
You can go to Advanced Search and search "First post of topics only" to find only those threads you have started. (I do this occasionally to look over my own posts, since I have posted on so many threads in my seven years.)
Most of the time it is not posts I started. It is one I added a post and I'm not longer interested in tracking. This happened with the $5,000 watch post. Gratefully the moderator closed the old thread as having run its course.
celia

Post by celia »

OP, The thread is not just useful to the person who started it, but to other readers as well (some of whom aren't even registered on this site). Even if the person who started it has his answer or made his decision, there can be other useful info that the other readers may want to consider.

But we do like hearing from the original poster to see if our answers were useful.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.