Only seeing parts of some posts (Chrome + Windows 8)

Discussions about the forum and contents

Only seeing parts of some posts (Chrome + Windows 8)

Postby neurosphere » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:45 pm

When I view a thread, some of the posts are incomplete.

For example, I hit "quote" to reply a post, but the quoted text was MORE than what I was seeing in the original post.

For example in this post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=111693&newpost=1623773#p1623773

I only see up to the words "avoid them" in BruDude's text, but don't see the "neurosphere wrote" or anything below that.

But again, I only new the text was there when I hit the "quote" icon, and saw the hidden text.

Is this a known problem? I think it's reserved to Chrome, because the post looks ok when I use IE.

NS
Saving for retirement doesn't have to mean wearing rags and eating apples which fall from the neighbor's trees.
neurosphere

Re: Only seeing parts of some posts (Chrome + Windows 8)

Postby whaleknives » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:04 pm

You may have different zoom settings on the two browsers. Try <ctrl><-> and <+> or something like [Firefox]<View><Zoom><Out> and <In> from the menus to see if that helps.
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."
whaleknives

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:18 pm

I'm with whaleknives, check your browser.

Sometimes, you can fix a display problem by resizing the browser window. In the upper right corner, minimize then maximize the window to be sure it fits within the desktop area (or display area of whatever you are using).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby neurosphere » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:23 pm

LadyGeek wrote:I'm with whaleknives, check your browser.

Not a zoom problem, as I see the all appropriate information below that post. It's simply as if half of the post text is hidden in my browser. Although now when I go to the same post I DO see all the text. Hmm.
Saving for retirement doesn't have to mean wearing rags and eating apples which fall from the neighbor's trees.
neurosphere

Postby whaleknives » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:00 pm

The zoom can be different in different windows of the same browser, or in different frames (areas) in the same window. All I know about Chrome is that my iMac OS is too old to run it!
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."
whaleknives

Postby Mudpuppy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:41 pm

If you tell the browser to View Source on the page, do you see the second blockquote segment that you did not see originally? That will eliminate the slight possibility the whole post didn't download correctly.

I'm wondering if there's a phpBB skin/theme plugin at play here which is hiding multiple quotes within the same comment. It's something I could do on Firefox with Greasemonkey for example. Every comment has its own div tag, and within the comment there are multiple quotes done by a blockquote with an unlabeled div tag. That is something that can be detected in a plugin script and altered, since you could just alter any blockquote+div box beyond the first one to be "invisible".
Mudpuppy

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:16 pm

For the forum software (phpBB), we haven't touched anything for quite some time. I'd look at the browser perhaps trying with a cleaned out cache and new user profile. Are there any other websites which show a similar problem?

He said it was working now. If it stays "fixed" it probably can't be reproduced. This is not a big deal, just let us know if more help is needed (or not).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby Mudpuppy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:53 pm

LadyGeek wrote:For the forum software (phpBB), we haven't touched anything for quite some time. I'd look at the browser perhaps trying with a cleaned out cache and new user profile. Are there any other websites which show a similar problem?

I was referring to a browser-level plugin for phpBB skins/themes, not one at this website. It's a pretty common thing for Firefox with Greasemonkey. I could see it being installed for another site that uses phpBB, but accidentally interfering with here as well since the stock phpBB is used here.
Mudpuppy

Postby neurosphere » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:57 am

LadyGeek wrote:For the forum software (phpBB), we haven't touched anything for quite some time. I'd look at the browser perhaps trying with a cleaned out cache and new user profile. Are there any other websites which show a similar problem?

He said it was working now. If it stays "fixed" it probably can't be reproduced. This is not a big deal, just let us know if more help is needed (or not).

On the one post in which I initially noticed the problem, it has resolved. I'll have to open two browsers side by side and spot check some threads to see if I notice it again. Because otherwise, how can I know if I am not seeing the whole post, if I don't know where the post is supposed to end. :D

But now that you mention it, I do see something similar at slate.com when I use chrome. The articles truncate prematurely. For example, on IE the article may have 8 paragraphs, and then at the bottom display the "next page" button if there is more to read. But in Chrome, I only see 4 paragraphs, and then also no "next page" button. But I do see the other items that normally appear at the end of the article.
neurosphere

Return to Forum Issues and Administration