Changing User Name

Discussions about the forum and contents

Changing User Name

Postby gkaplan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:36 pm

How does a forum member change a user name? It doesn't appear that one can do this through the user profile in the user control panel, although one can change one's password there.

Thanks.
Gordon
gkaplan

Re: Changing User Name

Postby HueyLD » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:40 pm

PM a moderator.
HueyLD

Postby Boglenaut » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Despite your avatar/icon picture, every time I see your username, I think of Gabe Kaplan ("Welcome Back Kotter"):

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0438241/
The problem with being a Boglehead is the more time you spend on it, the worse you get. It makes for a lousy hobby.
Boglenaut

Postby Langkawi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:06 pm

Boglenaut wrote:Despite your avatar/icon picture, every time I see your username, I think of Gabe Kaplan ("Welcome Back Kotter")

The sad thing is that in real life, Gabe Kaplan is more attractive than Nicola Benedetti.
Langkawi

Postby gkaplan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:13 pm

Langkawi wrote:
Boglenaut wrote:Despite your avatar/icon picture, every time I see your username, I think of Gabe Kaplan ("Welcome Back Kotter")

The sad thing is that in real life, Gabe Kaplan is more attractive than Nicola Benedetti.

There's no accounting for taste.
Gordon
gkaplan

Postby Jerilynn » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:33 am

Langkawi wrote:

Who's Nicola Benedetti?
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
Jerilynn

Postby sscritic » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:36 am

Jerilynn wrote:
Langkawi wrote:

Who's Nicola Benedetti?

Google knows all. But I will give you a hint. She is really gkaplan; just look at his picture and you should see that.
sscritic

Postby NAVigator » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:58 am

Jerilynn wrote:Who's Nicola Benedetti?

Beats me, but I would recognize gkaplan anywhere.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
NAVigator

Postby bill1958 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:07 am

Boglenaut wrote:Despite your avatar/icon picture, every time I see your username, I think of Gabe Kaplan ("Welcome Back Kotter"):

I think of the Red Sox player...
bill1958

Postby bill1958 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:12 am

bill1958 wrote:
Boglenaut wrote:Despite your avatar/icon picture, every time I see your username, I think of Gabe Kaplan ("Welcome Back Kotter"):

I think of the Red Sox player...

Scratch that- Thinking of Gabe Kapler...
bill1958

Postby cinghiale » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:36 pm

Gordon...
I'm curious. Do you want to modify your user name (so that we still know that it's you), or do you want to change it altogether (and simply start over as a new person, so to speak)? If that latter, why? With almost 4000 posts under your belt, you are pretty well established around here. And, as the other respondents will attest to, so is your avatar.
-- Cinghiale | | "We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin
cinghiale

Postby VictoriaF » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:40 pm

cinghiale wrote:Gordon...
I'm curious. Do you want to modify your user name (so that we still know that it's you), or do you want to change it altogether (and simply start over as a new person, so to speak)? If that latter, why? With almost 4000 posts under your belt, you are pretty well established around here. And, as the other respondents will attest to, so is your avatar.

I am not Gordon, but occasionally I am playing with an idea of getting a new Boglehead persona, a male persona. But as you say, it's difficult to give up the 7,000-post legacy.

Victoria
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Postby cinghiale » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:51 pm

Victoria,
Yes, but... wouldn't it be easier to open a separate account attached to a separate e-mail with a new, dictinct user name? (Uh, oh... am I suggesting something that is strictly verboten here?) That way, you could indulge your alternative persona, and still maintain your solidly-established place on the forum.
-- Cinghiale | | "We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin
cinghiale

Postby VictoriaF » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:54 pm

cinghiale wrote:Victoria,
Yes, but... wouldn't it be easier to open a separate account attached to a separate e-mail with a new, dictinct user name? (Uh, oh... am I suggesting something that is strictly verboten here?) That way, you could indulge your alternative persona, and still maintain your solidly-established place on the forum.

Yes, that's what I meant. Different screen name, different email address, playing Victor and Victoria simultaneously, and keeping fingers crossed that Alex and LadyGeek won't notice :wink:.

Victoria
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Postby cinghiale » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Gordon,

On the other hand, if you don't want to be Gordon anymore...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trl499RByEo
cinghiale

Postby Boglenaut » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:19 pm

Ah, that's a violin she is holding:

http://imgartists.com/artist/nicola_benedetti

I never heard of her and did not recognize the picture. So no opinion positive or negative from me.
The problem with being a Boglehead is the more time you spend on it, the worse you get. It makes for a lousy hobby.
Boglenaut

Postby zaplunken » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:40 pm

Langkawi wrote:

:shock: :thumbsdown You can't be serious? If you are I suggest you get to an optometrist immediately!

I never knew who that avatar is so I assumed the guy's daughter. So i Googled the name. What a knock out!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nicola+Benedetti&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=jBE&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0FohUY-gGanJ0QHssIHgCw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1002&bih=733
zaplunken

Postby Jerilynn » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:51 am

zaplunken wrote:
Langkawi wrote:

:shock: :thumbsdown You can't be serious? If you are I suggest you get to an optometrist immediately!

I never knew who that avatar is so I assumed the guy's daughter. So i Googled the name. What a knock out!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nicola+Benedetti&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=jBE&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0FohUY-gGanJ0QHssIHgCw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1002&bih=733

And all this time I thought it was Kim Cattrall. [when she was younger]
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
Jerilynn

Postby LadyGeek » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:05 pm

gkaplan wrote:How does a forum member change a user name? It doesn't appear that one can do this through the user profile in the user control panel, although one can change one's password there.

Thanks.

PM a moderator or site admin (like me). The important point is that all of the posts will change to reflect the new name.

You can change your signature or avatar in the User Control Panel at any time.

We seemed to have strayed from the original question... this topic is locked.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Return to Forum Issues and Administration