How to log into BH.org automatically

Discussions about the forum and contents

How to log into BH.org automatically

Postby HueyLD » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:47 pm

In the past, there was a box near the bottom of the forum page where one could check the box to automatically log into BH site. That box appears to be missing from the current version. I checked the user control panel but couldn't find the answer.

So, how do I tell it to automatically log me in whenever I visit the BH site?
HueyLD

Re: How to log into BH.org automatically

Postby Nummerkins » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:16 pm

It's on the login screen: "Log me on automatically each visit"
Nummerkins

Postby HueyLD » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Thank you. I guess I couldn't find the obvious.
HueyLD

Postby gkaplan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:40 pm

What does it mean to automatically log on? Does it mean that as soon as you bring up the website, either through a bookmark or through entering the URL, you automatically are in the site without typing in your username and password in the username and password blocks?
Gordon
gkaplan

Postby HueyLD » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:42 pm

Yes, that's what I wanted to do.
HueyLD

Postby Default User BR » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:53 pm

gkaplan wrote:What does it mean to automatically log on? Does it mean that as soon as you bring up the website, either through a bookmark or through entering the URL, you automatically are in the site without typing in your username and password in the username and password blocks?

Right. If you only use computers or accounts that are exclusive, it's a nice feature. You also don't have to worry about logouts while posting.

Brian
Default User BR

Postby The Wizard » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:40 pm

I have auto-login enabled on all four computers/tablets/smartphones that I use. It's the only way to fly...
Attempted new signature...
The Wizard

Postby gwrvmd » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:59 pm

I have a new computer and have lost my auto-login. I eliminated and prevented all cookies. Is that the reason? Have I lost auto-login because I have prevented the phpBB software from planting a cookie. Hope some conputer guru will answer. I am only semi computer literate..Gordon
Disciple of John Neff
gwrvmd

Postby LadyGeek » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:35 pm

Let's take a step back. When you login, there's a "Log me on automatically each visit" checkbox under the password.

If you leave it blank, the software will force you to login everytime you leave the site and come back. For example, you're logged in and reading a thread. Then, you go away to do something else and return to post a comment. The forum software requests you to login again.

If you check the box, the forum software won't ask you to login again when you return. So, unless you explicitly logged out or clear your cookies, you will always be logged in.

I didn't write the software, that's how it works. Your status is controlled by the cookies stored in your browser's cache. If the cookies are cleared, you are not logged in.

Now, for those who want to login "automatically" without typing in your username and password, that's a different answer. It's not controlled by the forum software, but your web browser. In Firefox, that's the "Remember passwords for sites" option. Be sure to use a master password for security. Questions from that aspect can be discussed in Another reason why you should never reuse passwords....
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby TheGreyingDuke » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:45 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Now, for those who want to login "automatically" without typing in your username and password, that's a different answer. It's not controlled by the forum software, but your web browser. In Firefox, that's the "Remember passwords for sites" option. Be sure to use a master password for security. Questions from that aspect can be discussed in Another reason why you should never reuse passwords....

And you can use something like LastPass to do the work and security for you, some out there are wary of LastPass but I am (so far) a 98% satisfied user (infrequently it is a little boggy with my current connection.)
TheGreyingDuke

Postby earlyout » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:05 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Let's take a step back. When you login, there's a "Log me on automatically each visit" checkbox under the password.

If you leave it blank, the software will force you to login everytime you leave the site and come back. For example, you're logged in and reading a thread. Then, you go away to do something else and return to post a comment. The forum software requests you to login again.

If you check the box, the forum software won't ask you to login again when you return. So, unless you explicitly logged out or clear your cookies, you will always be logged in.

I didn't write the software, that's how it works. Your status is controlled by the cookies stored in your browser's cache. If the cookies are cleared, you are not logged in.

Now, for those who want to login "automatically" without typing in your username and password, that's a different answer. It's not controlled by the forum software, but your web browser. In Firefox, that's the "Remember passwords for sites" option. Be sure to use a master password for security. Questions from that aspect can be discussed in Another reason why you should never reuse passwords....

You do not need to enable the Firefox password facility to log in automatically. Set Firefox to accept cookies from sites and allow (white list) cookies from bogleheads.org, when you log in to bogleheads.org check the box to be logged in automatically. You can then close the bogleheads.org tab, close Firefox, shut off your computer, come back the next day, start your computer, start you browser, go to bogleheads.org and you will be logged in automatically. I've been doing this for several years. I also erase my browsing history and temporary cookies whenever I close Firefox.
earlyout

Postby LadyGeek » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:21 pm

I do that as well. However, I do not clear my saved passwords - that's separate from the browser cache and history. Try clearing your saved passwords on exit.

--> Don't do this if you don't have your passwords or profile backed up. You'll need to restore them. Hint: Create a new profile for this experiment.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby Sidney » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:11 pm

earlyout wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:Let's take a step back. When you login, there's a "Log me on automatically each visit" checkbox under the password.

You do not need to enable the Firefox password facility to log in automatically. Set Firefox to accept cookies from sites and allow (white list) cookies from bogleheads.org, when you log in to bogleheads.org check the box to be logged in automatically. You can then close the bogleheads.org tab, close Firefox, shut off your computer, come back the next day, start your computer, start you browser, go to bogleheads.org and you will be logged in automatically. I've been doing this for several years. I also erase my browsing history and temporary cookies whenever I close Firefox.

an additional precaution I take is that I have moved my profiles to a Truecrypt volume. FF won't load my profile if the volume isn't mounted. Same for T-Bird. I use a laptop so if it is stolen or otherwise compromised, the profiles are all locked down.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Sidney

Postby earlyout » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:28 pm

LadyGeek wrote:I do that as well. However, I do not clear my saved passwords - that's separate from the browser cache and history. Try clearing your saved passwords on exit.

--> Don't do this if you don't have your passwords or profile backed up. You'll need to restore them. Hint: Create a new profile for this experiment.

I use "Custom Settings" for history in Firefox, and under settings for clearing history when Firefox closes, clearing saved passwords is checked.
The box to clear cookies is not checked. If I do clear cookies, automatic login to bogleheads.org fails.

This behavior is not unique to bogleheads.org. I do the same thing with my junk email account at yahoo.com and my usual news url, my.yahoo.com

Whenever I check for saved passwords there are none. I don't have Firefox save passwords for anything.
earlyout

Postby gkaplan » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:36 pm

I'm just curious. Why would someone want always to be logged in? What difference does it make to log out each time when one leaves the site and log back in when one returns?
Gordon
gkaplan

Postby Default User BR » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:06 pm

gkaplan wrote:I'm just curious. Why would someone want always to be logged in? What difference does it make to log out each time when one leaves the site and log back in when one returns?

Why would you want to be logged out? I have the Bogleheads forum always open in a window at the forum index page. When I want to check, I hit Refresh and start reading. Why would I want to go through logging in?

Also, a number of folks have run into the frustration of composing a post and having auto log-out happen during that, losing the post.

Besides, there's nothing stopping you from hitting Logout when done if you choose. That isn't overridden by the other setting. It just prevents auto-logout.

Brian
Default User BR

Return to Forum Issues and Administration