"Identity escrow?"

Discussions about the forum and contents

"Identity escrow?"

Postby nisiprius » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:24 pm

[Added]Having read about Münchausen by Internet I now think this idea of mine is a bad idea. Never mind. See my post below.

------
I for one have been distressed by the unexplained disappearance of bob90245 and his valuable website, and now bobcat2 points out that Lbill seems to have stopped posting.

I would like to see some kind of forum feature which I will call "identity escrow." Perhaps implemented in some very humble manual way, such as a user account named "identity escrow" to which forum members could PM their contact information.

The purpose of identity escrow would be to provide an avenue for administrators to determine what's happened when members ask why regular posters have stopped posting without explanation.

There are security and privacy issues surrounding the idea, but I think they could be dealt with by proper wording of something that people would view before sending their information... policy on how the information will be used, a warning that you are trusting the administrators and that the forum doesn't undertake to provide witness-protection-quality secrecy....
Last edited by nisiprius on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: "Identity escrow?"

Postby Fallible » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:54 pm

nisiprius wrote:I for one have been distressed by the unexplained disappearance of bob90245 and his valuable website, and now bobcat2 points out that Lbill seems to have stopped posting.

I would like to see some kind of forum feature which I will call "identity escrow." Perhaps implemented in some very humble manual way, such as a user account named "identity escrow" to which forum members could PM their contact information.

The purpose of identity escrow would be to provide an avenue for administrators to determine what's happened when members ask why regular posters have stopped posting without explanation. ...

A good idea. In addition, I've often thought that we forum members could arrange on our own with family/friends/co-workers to contact the forum if we're no longer able to post. Administrators could even ask or suggest that members do this to ensure that enough do.
"Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing." -William James
Fallible

Postby grok87 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:08 am

Fallible wrote:, I've often thought that we forum members could arrange on our own with family/friends/co-workers to contact the forum if we're no longer able to post.

Good idea!
Last edited by grok87 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grok, CFA | Danon delenda est
grok87

Postby LadyGeek » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:27 am

Remember that this is just an internet forum. We don't hold private information above and beyond what's needed to use this site (an email address). An escrow is an entirely new can of worms, from both privacy and security perspectives.

When looking for lost members, the most that the administrators can / should do is attempt to contact the member via the registered email address. We have already done that for bob90245 and there was no response.

If someone has information about a member that they would like to pass to the forum, contact us via our email support address, bhadmin@bogleheads.org, supply enough information to verify who you are, and we'll take care of it.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby VictoriaF » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:43 am

If we include a small donation to the Forum in our wills, receiving of the donation would provide an irrefutable proof of our demise.

Cheers,

Victoria
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Postby nisiprius » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:44 am

Lady, my concept was that there could be some framework by which forum members could voluntarily provide more information to the forum administrators, together with directions such as "please contact XYZ if 1) I have not posted in six months, and 2) have not rescinded this request, and 3) a forum member has asked you to find out." There are gazillion issues with the idea, including trust issues and the workload it would make for someone, but maybe they are solvable. At the moment, we have bob90245, lbill, and munchkin man unaccounted for.
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby market timer » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:45 am

VictoriaF wrote:If we include a small donation to the Forum in our wills, receiving of the donation would provide an irrefutable proof of our demise.

Cheers,

Victoria

I like this idea.
"I fancy that over-confidence seldom does any great harm except when, as, and if, it beguiles its victims into debt." -Irving Fisher
market timer

Postby The Wizard » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:45 am

VictoriaF wrote:If we include a small donation to the Forum in our wills, receiving of the donation would provide an irrefutable proof of our demise.

Cheers,

Victoria

A really excellent idea, but if they receive $100 from the estate of "Samuel Jones", then what is the BH screen name for that person?
Last edited by The Wizard on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Attempted new signature...
The Wizard

Postby sscritic » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:46 am

I don't get it. You are not my pesonal friends. If I die, there are people I would like to be informed; you aren't among of them. If I decide I don't like you and don't want to post anymore, that's my business; I don't owe you anything. I once posted that I was going to stop, and while there were some nice "we will miss you"s, there were some posters who acted as if I owed them my time and efforts.

If you have made personal friends with others, say at one of the annual gatherings, then put them on your list of friends to be informed at your demise; you don't need the forum to do that for you.
sscritic

Postby nisiprius » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:03 pm

sscritic wrote:I don't get it... If I die, there are people I would like to be informed; you aren't among them.
Hence voluntary.

There is a spectrum of degrees of human connectedness, from "lifetime companion" at one extreme to "Facebook 'friend'" at the other. "I haven't heard from so-and-so in quite a while, gee, I wonder if he's OK?" is a shallow, but legitimate degree of connection. Of course nobody is obligated to satisfy that idle curiosity.
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Postby NAVigator » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:04 pm

Sscritic, I agree. This is an anonymous forum. I receive a lot from it. I give a little back. When we leave, others will join.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
NAVigator

Postby VictoriaF » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:16 pm

The Wizard wrote:

Cheers,

Victoria

A really excellent idea, but if they receive $100 from the estate of "Samuel Jones", then what is the BH screen name for that person?

As one goes through an effort of modifying the will, a short comment about the screen name is a minor add-on. For example, the will entry could state "$100 to the Bogleheads Forum (with a link to the Support this site page) in memory of the poster VictoriaF."

If this is a prank, and VictoriaF is still alive, she can refute the exaggerated rumor of her early demise. If she's dead, the Forum will receive the news and the money.

(The third person writing here is used pragmatically, and any resemblance to the Munchkin Man's style is purely coincidental.)

VictoriaF
VictoriaF

Postby livesoft » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:23 pm

This has to be a problem for many sites on the internet. So you have the opportunity to start a new service called http://www.TellThemIAmDead.com

One can easily envision how it would work: Clients register with a few contact methods and a few time points. One time point would be how often TellThemIAmDead will contact you and get a heartbeat from you ("Are you still alive? Yes!") so that they do not notify folks that you are unresponsive. Clients would also give the names of their forums and other contacts that they wish to have informed in case they are really unresponsive and also the length of time after you are unresponsive to do the reporting.

The site could also offer obituary services and hints on how to write you own. It could cover expenses by ads from gravestone markers, cremation services, funeral directors, the death industry, the Mayo Clinic, will writers, estate lawyers, and Fisher Investments.

As an added benefit, folks could let other registered users query the database ("Is livesoft@bogleheads.org still responsive?"). They might get a response from http://www.LeaveMeAlone.com or http://www.hell.com or http://www.heaven.com.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby nisiprius » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:01 pm

You call the site "Dead For Everyone Or Just Me?"
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Postby chaz » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:35 pm

sscritic wrote:I don't get it. You are not my pesonal friends. If I die, there are people I would like to be informed; you aren't among of them. If I decide I don't like you and don't want to post anymore, that's my business; I don't owe you anything. I once posted that I was going to stop, and while there were some nice "we will miss you"s, there were some posters who acted as if I owed them my time and efforts.

If you have made personal friends with others, say at one of the annual gatherings, then put them on your list of friends to be informed at your demise; you don't need the forum to do that for you.

I agree.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby Cherokee8215 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:46 pm

Who knows...maybe Google has already figured out some algorithm that "triangulates" stuff that people have posted on forums to figure out their true identities...wouldn't surprise me.
Cherokee8215

Postby NAVigator » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:20 pm

livesoft wrote:This has to be a problem for many sites on the internet. So you have the opportunity to start a new service called http://www.TellThemIAmDead.com

Alternatively, you could do the opposite. There could be a service that responds to every thread on the forum with a nondescript post such as "I agree", once or twice a day. In this way , you could be immortal, living on forever (or until your pre-paid subscription runs out). I suspect this service already exists. :wink:

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
NAVigator

Postby gkaplan » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:23 pm

This is all pretty morbid.
Gordon
gkaplan

Postby Epsilon Delta » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:30 pm

nisiprius wrote:There is a spectrum of degrees of human connectedness, from "lifetime companion" at one extreme to "Facebook 'friend'" at the other.

An interesting continuum. Notice where "People I don't know exist" fit vis. a vis. "Facebook 'friends'".
Epsilon Delta

Postby chaz » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:27 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
nisiprius wrote:There is a spectrum of degrees of human connectedness, from "lifetime companion" at one extreme to "Facebook 'friend'" at the other.

An interesting continuum. Notice where "People I don't know exist" fit vis. a vis. "Facebook 'friends'".

I don't go on Facebook, so I can't be a "friend".
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby Mudpuppy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:28 pm

livesoft wrote:This has to be a problem for many sites on the internet. So you have the opportunity to start a new service called http://www.TellThemIAmDead.com

Already been done, several times:
http://www.deadmansswitch.net/
http://www.thedigitalbeyond.com/online-services-list/
Mudpuppy

Postby nisiprius » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:51 am

Second thoughts. I stumbled across the phrase Münchausen by Internet, and on reading about it I guess I'm just chalking up my idea "identity escrow" or anything like it as just another bad idea. It's a very unpleasant phenomenon. It says that "The LiveJournal forum reported in 2007 that of the deaths reported to them about 10% were real," and refers to the disturbing phenomenon of people pretending to have died or to have serious diseases in order to garner sympathy. Given that, I guess any attempt for a forum to do anything specific beyond letting social phenomena take their natural course could open up a can of worms. Never mind.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Postby VictoriaF » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:44 am

nisiprius wrote:Second thoughts. I stumbled across the phrase Münchausen by Internet, and on reading about it I guess I'm just chalking up my idea "identity escrow" or anything like it as just another bad idea. It's a very unpleasant phenomenon. It says that "The LiveJournal forum reported in 2007 that of the deaths reported to them about 10% were real," and refers to the disturbing phenomenon of people pretending to have died or to have serious diseases in order to garner sympathy. Given that, I guess any attempt for a forum to do anything specific beyond letting social phenomena take their natural course could open up a can of worms. Never mind.

The accuracy of betting markets is predicated on people betting their money. One may lie to a pollster, but one does not lie when placing cash on a bet.

Thus, naming Bogleheads in one's will would produce more accurate results than mere solicitation of sympathy. And even a serial death (of a single individual) would not be that bad if each instance manifested itself by a donation to the Forum.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby The Wizard » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:26 pm

I have a dormant FB account because I found it to be largely a childish waste of time, for me anyway.
But I will give them credit for using people's REAL NAMES, not fictitious ones.
This would be a simple solution to this problem, especially on this forum, where personal attacks are discouraged...
The Wizard

Postby Default User BR » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:01 pm

The Wizard wrote:I have a dormant FB account because I found it to be largely a childish waste of time, for me anyway.

What gives you that idea? I created a Facebook account with a fake name. It's not like they make you send in ID or something.

Brian
Default User BR

Postby Honobob » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Default User BR wrote:
The Wizard wrote:I have a dormant FB account because I found it to be largely a childish waste of time, for me anyway.

What gives you that idea? I created a Facebook account with a fake name. It's not like they make you send in ID or something.

Brian

Fake name AND my dog's pic for mine!
It's slowly dawned on me that we won the real estate lottery!
Honobob

Postby Epsilon Delta » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:17 pm

Honobob wrote:

You sly dog.
Epsilon Delta

Postby The Wizard » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Honobob wrote:
Default User BR wrote:

Brian

I didn't mean to imply it was impossible, but I'd guess over half of FB users use their real name on their account.
Compare that to here on Bogleheads where only 1% or so use real names or put it in their sig (like Mike Piper).
The Wizard

Postby VictoriaF » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:11 pm

The Wizard wrote:I didn't mean to imply it was impossible, but I'd guess over half of FB users use their real name on their account.
Compare that to here on Bogleheads where only 1% or so use real names or put it in their sig (like Mike Piper).

I use my real name in my signature.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby chaz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:17 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
The Wizard wrote:I didn't mean to imply it was impossible, but I'd guess over half of FB users use their real name on their account.

Victoria

How do we know?
chaz

Postby nisiprius » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:18 pm

VictoriaF wrote:I use my real name in my signature.
Are you related to the Mr. and Mrs. F in William Pene du Bois' book, The Twenty-One Balloons?

(Twenty families live on the volcanic island of Krakatoa, emigrants to the island and part-owners of the fabulous secret diamond mine there. They are all Americans by origin but have originated their own systematic system of identities and their own internal island "restaurant economy." Their surnames are the letters of the alphabet, from A through T. They have each adopted the architecture and cuisine of a nation corresponding to their letter, their calendar has twenty days to the month, and on A day everyone eats at Mr. and Mrs. A's Armenian restaurant, on B day everyone eats at Mr. and Mrs. B's British restaurant, and so forth. The F family lives in a replica of the Petit Trianon and serves fine French cuisine.)
Last edited by nisiprius on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Postby VictoriaF » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:19 pm

chaz wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

How do we know?

I would not put anyone else's name next to Albert's. ;-)

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby graveday » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:15 am

So once someone has pretended to die, they are now de facto pretending to live?
graveday

Postby VictoriaF » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:28 am

VictoriaF wrote:
chaz wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

How do we know?

I would not put anyone else's name next to Albert's. ;-)

Victoria

NOTE: This is an old thread. At that time my name was next to Albert's.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Return to Forum Issues and Administration