*this* close to quitting

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
DonDraper

Re: *this* close to quitting

Post by DonDraper »

I had a friend quit an accounting job due to do stress about 2 months ago. He still hasn't found a job and is now trying to land a temp job. I would definitely make every effort to stick it out or search for a new job while employed.
Topic Author
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

CaliJim wrote:Looks like we lost the OP for the time being. 48 replies to his first post, and no follow up. I'm sure linuxuser needs to chill a bit. Let's give it a rest.
No, you all haven't "lost" me.

I have spent the entire day reading over the posts.
The general consensus is to stick it out which I am going to try to do.

I have two job interviews coming up - one for an entry-level job in a slightly different field and one in my current field. Fingers crossed.

I feel extremely stressed out by the job situation not to mention the 2+ hour commute every day.
I know it is affecting my health, and I don't want it to continue for much longer.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPrSVkTRb24

I felt like a few times myself.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

2+ hour commute? No wonder you're stressed out, the commute is indeed affecting your health. That's a valid reason to go elsewhere - you just can't keep this up.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

Never ever, ever quit a job unless you have another waiting.
Did I say never ?
Good.
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

I think all the people advising strongly against quitting don't realize how bad some jobs are.

OP, if you are pissed off at home, if you dread going to work in the morning, in short if work is affecting your time outside of work, then it's time to quit. Something else will come along, it's not worth sacrificing time you will never get back to stay in a hateful environment.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

linuxuser wrote:
CaliJim wrote:Looks like we lost the OP for the time being. 48 replies to his first post, and no follow up. I'm sure linuxuser needs to chill a bit. Let's give it a rest.
No, you all haven't "lost" me.

I have spent the entire day reading over the posts.
The general consensus is to stick it out which I am going to try to do.

I have two job interviews coming up - one for an entry-level job in a slightly different field and one in my current field. Fingers crossed.

I feel extremely stressed out by the job situation not to mention the 2+ hour commute every day. I know it is affecting my health, and I don't want it to continue for much longer.
Good luck with the interviews. Meantime, is there anyway you can move in order to cut down on the commute time?
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Or couch surf a couple days a week?
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
BHCadet

Post by BHCadet »

If you can, take couple days off to relief your stress.
July 4th next week is on Wednesday this year.
I would take either Monday and Tuesday or Thursday and Friday of next week off if possible.
Topic Author
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

Fallible wrote:Good luck with the interviews. Meantime, is there anyway you can move in order to cut down on the commute time?
Thank you.

No, I just purchased this house last year.

The idea about taking some time off is a good one. I plan on taking at least one day off a month.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

trico wrote:Start your own business. I started me own business out of my home and ran it there for 20 years. Now retired. I did what I wanted to do with the business and made enough to retire. I just closed it down when I decided to quit my own business.
This just isn't that great of a solution for most people. You have to have a certain entrepreneurial mindset. Remember that this wouldn't be a sideline, but replacing a full-time job.

For many it ends up being a way to drain savings and go in bankruptcy.

Brian
mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz »

I think all the people advising strongly against quitting don't realize how bad some jobs are.

OP, if you are pissed off at home, if you dread going to work in the morning, in short if work is affecting your time outside of work, then it's time to quit. Something else will come along, it's not worth sacrificing time you will never get back to stay in a hateful environment.
I'd do 2 things immediately.

1) Aggressively look for other jobs, which it appears you are doing.

2) Stop getting stressed out about work. Phone it in and stop caring. I'm not saying sleep at your desk or surf the internet all day but stop caring if you miss a deadline or piss your boss off. In most huge organizations, it takes months of documentation to fire someone or lay you off. Doing this rather than quitting enables you to possibly collect unemployment benefits.

Aggressively do #1 and if it doesn't plan out do #2 as a fall back option. Your health is more important than your job.
hAvAAck

Post by hAvAAck »

I'll echo what everyone else is saying. I think I know what you're going through as I'm going through a similar thing. Take vacation. "Phone it in" if you can (I can't). If you have people you can talk to at work, try to break up your day by doing something else once in a while. Take a walk around the building every couple of hours - it will get you exercise and it will let you give your mind and eyes a rest; plus the sunlight will do you good. Keep on keeping on while you interview and look forward to the day that you can give 2 weeks notice. And give 2 weeks notice. If you have to take the first thing that comes along, then take it. It's not like you have to stop looking.
joppy

Post by joppy »

hAvAAck wrote:Take a walk around the building every couple of hours - it will get you exercise and it will let you give your mind and eyes a rest; plus the sunlight will do you good.
This is an extremely helpful technique to get perspective, and just to get refreshed. Even if you love your job, you will be more effective if you follow this advice.

Cheers,
Joppy
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

jpkuva wrote:A older and wiser colleague once told me "It's much easier to get a job when you have a job". I have always stuck by this advice.
+100 This is exactly what I was going to write but pkuva beat me to it.

Don't quit and look for a job, look for a job and THEN quit, you'll have a much better chance of getting exactly what you want. Some more advice, don't let down while you are looking and don't burn any bridges, your career may take an unexpected turn and you may need a reference or may find yourself working with the same folks some time in the future.

gatorman
SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill »

jpkuva wrote:A older and wiser colleague once told me "It's much easier to get a job when you have a job". I have always stuck by this advice.

Same applies to loans. Banks are eager to loan you money when you already have money and not eager to loan you money when you don't have any.

Personally, I'd look for a job before I quit but that's because I have a lot at stake now. Years ago I quit on my 7th anniversary with my company because that was the day I qualified for a third week of vacation which they paid out. No plans, no obligations at the time. Found a new job in 6 weeks after a head hunter called.

-B
Topic Author
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

I wanted to post an update.

I received a verbal job offer today and will receive the job offer letter tomorrow by FedEx.
Everything is contingent on passing the drug test and a background check.
Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

Best of luck to you and best of health too!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Congratulations! I wouldn't give notice until you pass your "contingency" tests in writing. It's probably only a few days more to wait.

If there's anything that you want to take with you from work (legally), do it now. Do it over the course of a few days so it's not obvious. It will help you mentally prepare for the transition - yes, I really did this!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

Thanks!

I will wait to hear from their HR department that I passed before giving my notice, and
I told my new employer that this was my plan. And they understood.
Apparently a previous applicant had some issues with the background check. Yikes!
SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill »

linuxuser wrote:Thanks!

I will wait to hear from their HR department that I passed before giving my notice, and
Apparently a previous applicant had some issues with the background check. Yikes!
A company I used to work for rejected a candidate that didn't disclose they had recently taken prescribed back pain medication. It showed up in the screen which probably would have been okay with upfront admission, but because he had not mentioned it they rejected him. So, sit tight until you get the all clear.

-B
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

Nice to hear some good news. All the best. :happy
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
FNK

Post by FNK »

Crucial trick:

Quit after September begins (which pretty much means give them notice now). That will secure most of your benefits (health insurance most importantly) through the end of the month. Take that month off. Catch your breath.
Topic Author
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

I wish I could take the whole month off, but when they want you, they want you *now*.
Initially they wanted me on Sept 4 the Tuesday after Labor Day, but I wouldn't be able to give the standard 2-weeks notice
given that I have to wait for the results of the background check and drug screen which won't be back until Monday at the earliest.
In addition, as you mentioned, my health insurance ends at the end of the month, so I would be uninsured for 3 days.
So, I am tentatively set to start 9/10.
Last edited by linuxuser on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Good for you! I'm so glad this is working out!

:sharebeer
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
Balance

Post by Balance »

Congratulations! Nothing is more important than your health and the health of your loved ones. Letting go of a stressful situation will hopefully help out a ton. Good luck moving forward :)
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

linuxuser wrote:I wanted to post an update.

I received a verbal job offer today and will receive the job offer letter tomorrow by FedEx.
Everything is contingent on passing the drug test and a background check.
Congratulations and good luck on the new job! :beer
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Topic Author
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

Another update.

Turns out the HR manager's estimate of 72 hours (3 business days) for the background check was wrong.

It turned out to be 7 business days.

Anyway, starting Sept. 10, but it was a close call.
paulsiu

Post by paulsiu »

Don't quit until you find another job! This will avoid gaps in employee history, you'll have health insurance, and some employers now refuse to hire someone without a job.

Paul
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

I just read this thread and was pleased to see your update. I just wanted to wish you well. Enjoying your occupation is worth a lot. Congratulations on your new position. Go have fun.

Best wishes,
Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
renter

Post by renter »

I was in a similar situation once. Hated my job. Pressure cooker environment, dealing with time zones around the world, long work hours, crappy boss. It gave me so much immediate gratification when I said "I quit" but the feeling wore off after a couple of weeks. I had assumed when I quit that landing the next job would be a piece of cake. Right after I quit a recruiter (who I now believe was trully trying to help me at the time) told me "You need to find a new job immediately. If you wait, you're screwed. Don't try to be too selective. The economy is lousy." Despite this advice I took my time, lived off of savings, and didn't begin searching in earnest for a few months. I got around 10 interviews with top employers in my field but couldn't get a single offer. I couldn't overcome the suggestion that I had been fired from my last position. Weeks of fruitless searching became months. When the 12 month anniversary of being unemployed was upon me, I swallowed my pride and convinced my former employer to take me back, first part-time then full-time. But once I was back, I contacted another company I had interviewed with 6 months prior and whom I liked the most, asking for another meeting, which I got. Since I was re-employed by my former employer I was able to overcome the suggestion that I had been fired and could focus the interview more convincingly on my strengthes. About 6 months after returning to my former employer, I left to join the company I really wanted to join. The lesson I learmed from my experience: never, ever, ever quit a job until the new one has been secured. For me, the stress of not being employed for 12 months was much worse than the stress of working in a job I hated. I hope my experience is helpful in some way.

linuxuser wrote:I really hate to just quit my job because of the stigma when trying to find another job, but my current job is absolutely making me miserable.

I have enough money to get by for at least a year not to mention that my capital gain distributions from 2011 would be enough to pay most of my property taxes.
So, financially I can swing but should I do it?
I have never done anything this rash before.
Topic Author
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

Hi, renter.

My current job is actually the reverse of yours.
My stress came from trying to occupy my time at work to "look busy" while actually having nothing to do all day.
My manager is a very poor delegator.

I am glad that I didn't quit. Only did that once and it was my very first job out of college.

Looking forward to the new job.
Last edited by linuxuser on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

More information would be helpful, particularly information relating to how easily you think it would be to get a new job in your area of expertise, and how the "hate" for the present job is affecting your functioning. I suspect that you may get minor relief from having made the decision you are leaving. As you probably know, anxiety is related to uncertainty. The uncertainty of feeling that the negatives will never end if you remain in your present job have been replaced by the uncertainty of how long will it take to get a new one. The second situation is unpleaseant but does have an ending to it, so you are not helpless. Even better is that you have significant financial assets. Finding a new job while still employed is always best, as many have posted. If additional support is needed while looking for employment, there are groups in many cities that meet and aid people in job searches, some of which are quite specific such as groups for those who either have or have exited positions paying 100K or more. Family support is important. If you do not have a spouse or significant other, then you may be more isolated. If you think you are experiencing clinical anxiety or depression, you can find numerous questionnaires on line. A therapist or medication evaluation could be helpful if you are experiencing significant difficulty in doing your job or meeting everyday responsibilities.

Without being overly psychological, authors list stages of change which roughly include: 1. Pre-Contemplation (Problem exists but has not reached awareness), 2. Contemplation (Thinking about a possible problem), 3. Planning (There is a problem, and I am organizing a plan to deal with it), 4. Action (Putting the plan into action), 5. Maintainence (Doing what is necessary to make the actions effective), 6. Termination (Some include this as the ending and letting go of the issue when resolved). You sould like you are focusing on Planning when you ask for opinions. That is a much better approach than prematurely moving into the Action phase. Good luck, though developing a solid plan before acting may mean that no luck is required at all!

Tim
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Oh, wow! Congratulations. Mea culpa. Did not read the last few posts and apologize for what is outdated now. Action plan worked for you! Maintenance means there will be adjustment to a new job while still recuperating from the stress of an old one. Definitely, a preferable stage!

Tim
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Congrats on the new job. Hope you feel less stressed out and start feeling better. I was in a job I hated once and when I started the new one it was like the stress just melted away. :D
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson