Mint Vs Ibank Vs Quicken for mac

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.

Mint Vs Ibank Vs Quicken

Mint
44%
Ibank
9%
Quicken
24%
Fullview (Fidelity)
2%
money dance
6%
Other (Please specify in comments)
15%

Total votes: 88

Topic Author
femtoace

Mint Vs Ibank Vs Quicken for mac

Post by femtoace »

I've been a user of mint for a long time but the only thing I can reliably use it for is to track my spending. I don't seem to be able to track any investments reliably. I've recently switched to a mac and was considering a finance software and did a forum search: If I would only use it to track my investments (Indv- Vanguard, employer sponsored: Fidelity, Nationwide), would ibank be the best option? Any pitfalls I need to know? I don't mind putting in the cost basis but I would want the software to be able to track the investments price and things like that and tell me the % of each fund in my portfolio and other such info. If it can also track all my spending in 1 place, that's a bonus. I also use the specific id method and TLH significant losses and was wondering if anything supported this.
Thank you for your input.
Last edited by femtoace on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
stan1

Re: Mint Vs Ibank Vs Quicken

Post by stan1 »

I use Quicken for banking, tax planning, tracking cost basis, and day-to-day monitoring (daily).
I use the T. Rowe Price free registration website to look at the Morningstar style box analysis for my portfolio (about once per quarter).
I use a spreadsheet to set my asset allocation and determine how to rebalance, or where I need to add more money to maintain my asset allocation (about ever 1-2 months).

I have not found a single tool that does everything the way I want it done.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
Toons

Re: Mint Vs Ibank Vs Quicken for mac

Post by Toons »

Quicken :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
ScaledWheel

Post by ScaledWheel »

Has Quicken for Mac improved? I remember it being awful not too long ago.
KYBOSH

Post by KYBOSH »

chasely wrote:Has Quicken for Mac improved? I remember it being awful not too long ago.

You remember right my friend. Quiken for mac was garbage. And each reiteration the program would devolve to the point i couldnt take it anymore. Made the switch to ibank and its more than fits the bill for both my personal and business needs.

Learning curve wasnt that big of a deal.

Only issuei had was importing all my old data.
Ended up starting from scratch and creating accounts with the current balances.
I thought i would be crippled without my years of transactions but to be honest i have never had the need to dig them up.
And if ever the need arise i can just fireup the quicken program (which i havent done since i stopped using it).

I have to commend ibank for one thing... Its reporting, forecasting and graphs are second to none.
Much more functional than Mint's and lightyears ahead of quickens.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Bump.

Any new / more feedback on Mac money management sw?

I thinking of switching from a desktop pc to a a macbook. Thinking about iBank.....

:?:
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
Jake46

Post by Jake46 »

I used Quicken for about ten years but switched to iBank three years ago. I had no problem converting Quicken data. I've been pleased with iBank & most impressed with the responsiveness of support the few times I required help.
SLH

Post by SLH »

I am using portfolio-hub.com to track my investments (e.g., balance trends and performance). It has worked well for me so far.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

I use quicken for mac but it is really lame. Have not found a better alternative yet, although I tried several. Had a Mint account but deleted it, not info that I wanted in another place on the cloud.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

.obsolete post.
Last edited by TimeRunner on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Quicken on a PC (real or virtual) for spending, cost basis, and net worth.
Spreadsheet for asset allocation.
Mint OS X app for near real time monitoring of credit card transaction postings.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Long time Mac user. Since 2006 or so, been using:
* Yodlee 9.x to track spending, net worth, quick one-stop access to account balances
* Google Spreadsheet for asset allocation - see when I've hit rebalancing bands

Yodlee has had a newer version out for a few years that has more graphics in an effort to compete with Mint, but it is so unpopular that they've kept version 9.x available via a "Time Machine" account setting. Seriously, it's not just me - if you Google this, you'll find many people recommending the OLD version of Yodlee. The new version really is that bad. (The main problem is long waits for the pages to refresh, but also a busy and crowded widget-intensive interface.)

I've found Yodlee 9.x is just what I need, however. I've considered switching to iBank, etc, but Yodlee 9.x really does the job for me - All the numbers easily read in one place and loads quickly. I have 40 or so accounts linked, and even get a (debatable) estimate of my house value and equity via link to Zillow.
ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 »

Another Mac user here. Tried Quicken for Mac and agree it is garbage. I now use YNAB (You Need A Budget). Works across all platforms.
Kitkat76

Post by Kitkat76 »

Im a mac user as well. I use ynab (you need a budget) and personal capital. Very happy with both.
jkgreathouse

Post by jkgreathouse »

TimeRunner wrote:I've tried iBank a few times, but it's still quite cumbersome. For example, Quicken (Windows version) can memorize a split transaction as percentage between multiple budget categories, e.g. 50%/50%. Data entry is much quicker in Quicken.

So... on my Mac, I use Quicken along with VMWare fusion to provide a small, clean Windows 7 OS virtual machine that's just there to run Quicken and ESPlanner. Everything else is done in OS/X Mac.
This is what I've been using for several months and I'm very happy with it. I just recently switched to a Mac and looked at Quicken for Mac but was very disappointed with what I saw. Running the PC version (since I already had it) on VM Ware works very well.
Eric

Post by Eric »

For those who are unhappy with the latest iteration of Quicken for Mac, try "Lion compatible Quicken 2007 for Mac." Although technically superseded, Intuit still sells this software for those who are unhappy with its replacement. It's not as visually appealing as newer Mac software but it gets the job done.

http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-fina ... x-lion.jsp
mwattson

Post by mwattson »

I am a long-time Quicken PC user and have finally cleaned up all the bugs in my investment downloading and reporting. I have used a MacBook Pro for 3 years and want to consolidate files and bookmarks to one OS and sync easily, so I'm planning to go all Mac soon. Can anyone report on VMWare fusion vs Parallels for keeping Quicken for Windows 7 on a Mac? My brother is an avid Quicken expert and finally conceded that his daughter should abandon Quicken and use iBank on her Mac. I appreciate all the input here. Just wish there were a better choice for those of us who want to combine the best of PC and Mac.
GordonFl

Post by GordonFl »

TimeRunner wrote:I've tried iBank a few times, but it's still quite cumbersome. For example, Quicken (Windows version) can memorize a split transaction as percentage between multiple budget categories, e.g. 50%/50%. Data entry is much quicker in Quicken.

So... on my Mac, I use Quicken along with VMWare fusion to provide a small, clean Windows 7 OS virtual machine that's just there to run Quicken and ESPlanner. Everything else is done in OS/X Mac.
Ironically I switched to Mac largely because I was fed up with Quicken for Windows and wanted to try iBank. But as it turned out I am still running Quicken in a VMware virtual machine on my MacBook Pro. I do not yet have the time to maintain data in both Quicken and iBank while deciding if iBank will suit me or not!
boyler99

Post by boyler99 »

I am a long-time Mac user, and I had been running Quicken since 1999 or so. Upgraded regularly through Quicken 2006 and then I finally switched to iBank about a month ago. So far I like it. It took a little getting used to, but so far, so good. The reports have been awesome. Stability seems very good. I do agree with the comment that data entry is a little slower in iBank than Quicken. Otherwise, no complaints so far. I'll report back after several more months of usage.
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

boyler99 wrote:I am a long-time Mac user, and I had been running Quicken since 1999 or so. Upgraded regularly through Quicken 2006 and then I finally switched to iBank about a month ago. So far I like it. It took a little getting used to, but so far, so good. The reports have been awesome. Stability seems very good. I do agree with the comment that data entry is a little slower in iBank than Quicken. Otherwise, no complaints so far. I'll report back after several more months of usage.
Hows it lookin?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)
mapleosb

Post by mapleosb »

mwattson wrote:I am a long-time Quicken PC user and have finally cleaned up all the bugs in my investment downloading and reporting. I have used a MacBook Pro for 3 years and want to consolidate files and bookmarks to one OS and sync easily, so I'm planning to go all Mac soon. Can anyone report on VMWare fusion vs Parallels for keeping Quicken for Windows 7 on a Mac? My brother is an avid Quicken expert and finally conceded that his daughter should abandon Quicken and use iBank on her Mac. I appreciate all the input here. Just wish there were a better choice for those of us who want to combine the best of PC and Mac.
I have been using Quicken Windows on both VMWare, Virtual Box (free, all platforms) and Parallels for about 8 years when I switched to all Mac. They all worked with Win 7 (XP also back when). I am much happier with the Parallels overall for the speed and consistency, so now it is the only one I have.

One item not mentioned very often for Mac is a product called SEE Financial (http://scimonocesoftware.com/seefinance/). After trying all the Mac finance programs, this was the closest to Quicken in features that I could find for my use and it imports the quicken data (QIF, QFX to come) fairly accurately. I really did not care for the others like iBank and Moneydance. That being said, it is still hard to come up with something that is equal one for one to Q Windows, and so I continue using it. I have been beta testing Inuit products for both PC and Mac for many years and they could never really duplicate the features for a Mac Quicken version up to today IMO.

Good luck in your choices.
Last edited by mapleosb on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snapper

Post by Snapper »

Mac people here. Satisfied ibank user. No problem converting Quicken files. A little cumbersome but does the job. Also use Mint to track daily activity and Vanguard website for asset allocation.
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

Quicken PC 2013 in Parallels (Virtual Windows environment) on my mac.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Quicken for Lion aka 2007 for Mac. It works for me. I tried SEE Finance and found it better than the other alternatives, but when I had a chance to go back to a Quicken that ran on Intel machines without Rosetta, I went for it.

Official title: Quicken Mac 2007 OS X Lion compatible
https://quicken.intuit.com/personal-fin ... x-lion.jsp
mapleosb

Post by mapleosb »

Maybe there is hope finally for Mac. I was just notified about a new product going into beta testing soon called "Quicken Mac 2015"

https://qlc.intuit.com/questions/826428 ... ken-marcus
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

mapleosb wrote:Maybe there is hope finally for Mac. I was just notified about a new product going into beta testing soon called "Quicken Mac 2015"

Thanks for your update. Now we have to see how long it takes Intuit to come out with this new Quicken for Mac.
nash031

Post by nash031 »

I've been bouncing between Mint and Personal Capital. I like both: Mint's better for budgeting; PC is much better for investments. If they could mash Mint's budget stuff into PC, it'd be fine. I worry about having logins on those websites, and would prefer to use something that stands alone on my machine. Sadly, it doesn't seem that there's anything that meets the need for budgeting, tracking spending, and usefulness for AA and investment tracking. Maybe I'm wrong - I checked into iBank, Quicken, etc. Eventually, I'd like to get away from the web-based apps and have a one-stop shop...
AdamP

Post by AdamP »

I use Mint and Personal Capital (please make it a survey option).

Quicken 2007 was the last "real" version for the Mac. It worked well, but was 'dead" for sometime. I did run Quicken for Windows inside a virtual machine; however, when Parallels charged for an upgrade to work with Lion -IIRC-, I dropped the vm (and I think Boot Camp is just a waste of limited laptop harddrive space).

The problem with all of the finance apps for Mac (and I've tried them all: Quicken Essentials, MoneyDance, iBank, SEE Finance, Money Well, iFinance...) including the online ones (Mac and Personal Capital) is that NONE have the investment reporting power of Quicken for Windows (and Quicken 2007 for Mac). Yes, the more vocal and conservative bogleheads preach "set it and (except for occasional re-balancing and AA changes) forget it". However, I like to see my overall rate of return on each of my investments, accounts, and asset types. Therefore, I've had to roll my own. I now have a complete Excel workbook for tracking my networth, investments (IRR, and AA), savings, income, and taxes. One thing that my workbook allowed me realize is that I don't care about knowing what I've spent on food each of the past 36 months. Mint is nice to track my budget on a day to day basis. However, I find that the historical data is just useless hoarding of information (even when I was using Quicken). Instead, I track my savings rate (the real goal).

For privacy reason, I would like to move away from using Mint. But until someone creates (or I get fed up, and program it myself) a financial app for the Mac where investments aren't an afterthought/token effort, or are designed for day traders without any tracking of overall finances, I'll continue using my 3 part solution. Mint and Personal Capital for getting snapshots when I want, and Excel for tracking the historical information I care about.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

AdamP wrote:I use Mint and Personal Capital (please make it a survey option).

Quicken 2007 was the last "real" version for the Mac. It worked well, but was 'dead" for sometime.
NONE have the investment reporting power of Quicken for Windows (and Quicken 2007 for Mac)
Was $14.99 too much to pay for Quicken 2007 for Lion? Or is it among the dead?
mapleosb

Post by mapleosb »

sscritic wrote:
mapleosb wrote:Maybe there is hope finally for Mac. I was just notified about a new product going into beta testing soon called "Quicken Mac 2015"

Thanks for your update. Now we have to see how long it takes Intuit to come out with this new Quicken for Mac.
IF they follow their standard timetable, I would guess around August-Sept of 2014 since it is called QM 2015, but, again just a guess.
Meg77

Post by Meg77 »

I've been a Mint user forever but only for spending; I never even look at the investments tab. I discovered SigFig recently and have really been loving it though. It was recommended by Money Magazine (or somewhere) as the best new investment app/website so I registered. It's super easy and streamlined for tracking investments but also has surprisingly detailed information on Asset Allocation, geographic diversification, fees, etc. Only downside is it's sort of addicting to check it daily.

As an aside though I'm getting married and am looking for a comprehensive software system/website/app for my future husband and I to use to consolidate and track our investments and spending once we get married. So I'm interested to see the responses. I'm kind of tired of dealing with Mint but I suppose creating a new account and merging all our stuff on there might be the best option (plus SigFig for investments).
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

I'm also curious about other options. As I stated several posts above, I've been satisfied using Yodlee 9.x for many years, but worry they may drop it at some point and offer just the newer version. (Which I do not enjoy using.)

A lot of folks here are recommending You Need a Budget. Just for clarity - YNAB tracks just bank accounts and credit card spending, correct? No investments or net worth? If that's the case, I don't think I need You Need a Budget.

Meg77, you say you use Mint similarly just for tracking spending. I've never used Mint, but always thought it was just a more graphic-oriented software that does what Yodlee does. Is it lacking ability to track investment websites? Or is there just something you don't like about their implementation of tracking investment websites? And the SigFig you mention for investments, is that free? (It's hard to tell on their website - they're either not free or have some option that's not free.)
AdamP

Post by AdamP »

sscritic wrote:Was $14.99 too much to pay for Quicken 2007 for Lion? Or is it among the dead?
For those who might not know (not saying that sscritic doesn't): Quicken 2007 came out around when 10.5 Leopard was out, and then was broken with 10.7 (Oct 2010) since Lion did not include Rosetta (the PowerPC-Intel translator). And Quicken didn't release a patch until Mar 2012 - so it was broken for quite a while.

The reason why I didn't pick up a copy of Quicken 2007 for Lion, and part of the reason why I didn't pay for the Parallels upgrade to get PC Quicken Deluxe working, was because Quicken disables the automatic transaction download support after a couple years. I understand that they have continued bills to pay, but forcing users to upgrade by having time-limited features on a full product - instead of releasing must-have feature updates - is a bad business practice in my book. Yes, I can log into each and every one of my accounts and download the csv or quicken file for each (and I did it for a time), but I consider it a waste of my time, as a human, to be doing work that computers were designed to do.

Several of the Mac offerings will connect directly to the financial institutions of choice (eliminating the middle man that can cut off support). However, again, I'm more interested in the investments/income/taxes data, and NONE of the current offerings can hold a candle to Quicken on Windows.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

AdamP wrote: Quicken 2007 came out around when 10.5 Leopard was out, and then was broken with 10.7 (Oct 2010) since Lion did not include Rosetta (the PowerPC-Intel translator). And Quicken didn't release a patch until Mar 2012 - so it was broken for quite a while.

The reason why I didn't pick up a copy of Quicken 2007 for Lion, and part of the reason why I didn't pay for the Parallels upgrade to get PC Quicken Deluxe working, was because Quicken disables the automatic transaction download support after a couple years. I understand that they have continued bills to pay, but forcing users to upgrade by having time-limited features on a full product - instead of releasing must-have feature updates - is a bad business practice in my book. Yes, I can log into each and every one of my accounts and download the csv or quicken file for each (and I did it for a time), but I consider it a waste of my time, as a human, to be doing work that computers were designed to do.
Quicken for Lion supports automatic downloads from Vanguard and some banks and credit cards, but not all. Also, with web connect, many banks say it won't work unless you have Quicken 2011 or newer, but that's a crock (although it may be true for Windows).

P.S. I kept an old machine running 10.4.11 so I could use Quicken until Quicken for Lion came out, when I spent the $14.99 to upgrade.
travellight

Post by travellight »

I like Mint to track my net worth weekly, and I like the annual spending report on all my credit cards, AND it alerts me if I got a late fee anywhere.
TF Hutch

Post by TF Hutch »

I use Quicken 2007 for Mac on a Lion machine. Thinking about upgrading to "Maverick" Operating system. Will Quicken 2007 still work with Maverick?
I have Quicken Data back to 1994.
Hutch | A fool and his funds are soon parted! - Thomas Tusser (English Farmer and Writer. 1524-1580)
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

TF Hutch wrote:I use Quicken 2007 for Mac on a Lion machine. Thinking about upgrading to "Maverick" Operating system. Will Quicken 2007 still work with Maverick?
Yes, I run Quicken 2007 for Lion on my iMac running OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks with an s.
Mavericks marks the beginning of a change in the naming scheme of OS X, departing from the use of big cats and moving to names based on places in California. Following the new naming scheme, the current version of the operating system is named Mavericks, after the surfing location in California.
Mavericks is a surfing location in Northern California, USA. It is located approximately 2 miles (3.2 km) from shore outside Pillar Point Harbor, just north of the town of Half Moon Bay at the village of Princeton-by-the-Sea. After a strong winter storm in the northern Pacific Ocean, waves can routinely crest at over 25 feet (7.6 m) and top out at over 80 feet (24 m). The break is caused by an unusually shaped underwater rock formation.

Mavericks is a winter destination for some of the world's best big wave surfers. Very few riders become big wave surfers; and of those, only a select few are willing to risk the hazardous, sometimes deadly, conditions at Mavericks. An invitation-only contest is held there most winters, when the waves come.
AdamP

Post by AdamP »

sscritic wrote:Quicken for Lion supports automatic downloads from Vanguard and some banks and credit cards, but not all.
Thanks for the info. Maybe it's because I haven't been using it in so long, but I remember having to manually download from several institution that had to go through Quicken's servers for the auto. Even as cheap as Quicken for Lion is, for now, I think I'll wait until I see what the next "real" Quicken for Mac looks like. It basically comes down to, if all of the data isn't pulled automatically (like Mint / Personal Capital), the time just isn't worth it for me to login, download, import, and then categorize everything for each account - especially knowing that 99.9% of my spending I will not care one wit about 2 months later, let along having decades of transactions saved. Now, investment transactions are another matter. And considering that I make very few of those now, it's only the tracking that must work properly.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

AdamP wrote:
sscritic wrote:Quicken for Lion supports automatic downloads from Vanguard and some banks and credit cards, but not all.
Thanks for the info. Maybe it's because I haven't been using it in so long, but I remember having to manually download from several institution that had to go through Quicken's servers for the auto.
Maybe we are using the term auto differently. I have One Step set to check Vanguard and other institutions that allow direct connect without a fee (If I were willing to pay fees, I could connect with more institutions). When One Step starts, I have to enter my One Step password. Quicken then connects to both Quicken and Vanguard to download the data. After the data is downloaded, I have to click on Download to accept (or modify, record, then accept) the entries. Not exactly automatic, but I don't have to go to the Vanguard website.

Now if I use web connect and download a qfx file, I can't use it without an internet connection that verifies with Quicken that someone somewhere has paid the required fee. Everything always goes through the Quicken's servers. From wikipedia:
Intuit's Quicken software will only import QFX files where the providing institution has paid the fee and in some cases passed quality tests, otherwise giving the error message "Quicken is currently unable to verify the financial institution information for this download". The same error message is given for Quicken users attempting to import previously downloaded QFX files with non-supported versions of Quicken.
Meg77

Post by Meg77 »

Ice-9 wrote:I'm also curious about other options. As I stated several posts above, I've been satisfied using Yodlee 9.x for many years, but worry they may drop it at some point and offer just the newer version. (Which I do not enjoy using.)

A lot of folks here are recommending You Need a Budget. Just for clarity - YNAB tracks just bank accounts and credit card spending, correct? No investments or net worth? If that's the case, I don't think I need You Need a Budget.

Meg77, you say you use Mint similarly just for tracking spending. I've never used Mint, but always thought it was just a more graphic-oriented software that does what Yodlee does. Is it lacking ability to track investment websites? Or is there just something you don't like about their implementation of tracking investment websites? And the SigFig you mention for investments, is that free? (It's hard to tell on their website - they're either not free or have some option that's not free.)
I've never used Yodlee, but my understanding is that Mint was based off that software and similarly uses graphics and charts to show spending and budgeting. It excels there, and it does have the ability to link to investment sites as well. However I've never found their investment data (other than balances and transactions) to be very useful or even accurate. For instance when I look at my portfolio's alleged performance on the investment charts, it doesn't seem right. SigFig is much better at pulling out actual returns for each holding. It also shows asset allocation and a few more advanced things that Mint doesn't even try to report.

Mint is pretty good for tracking net worth if you don't have too many complications; it will link to most any account (more than most other sites I believe), and it also pulls real estate value Zestimates if you put in your address(es). However I have some private loans and other accounts that don't hook up to Mint so the net worth function isn't that useful to me.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
Taggerung

Post by Taggerung »

Which is best for IRR or CAGR of a portfolio pulled together from various accounts? Most folks seem to use excel for such things, but a) I don't have excel, and b) it seems as thought there should be software sophisticated enought to tell my YTD returns on my portfolio. I want to be able to easily figure out how well I'm doing against my benchmark.
boyler99

Post by boyler99 »

I am still running iBank on Mac (v4.7.5). It has worked just fine for me over the last year, but data entry is slow. I am thinking about upgrading to iBank 5. Does anyone here have any positive/negative reviews of iBank 5 vs. iBank 4? Worth the upgrade? I also see some new Mac versions of Quicken are available, but I don't know that I am ready to switch back to Intuit. Thoughts?