How much do you spend on groceries?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Go Blue 99

Re: How much do you spend on groceries?

Post by Go Blue 99 »

For two of us- $250 a month. It's low because we mostly eat small vegetarian meals at home.
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

Our total for all "grocery" bills for retired couple is $900/ month. We eat well and rather than buy cheaper, tougher, cuts of beef, my wife uses beef tenderloin for beef stew, stir fry and similar dishes.
My weight shows it.

LarryG
HelenaJustina

Post by HelenaJustina »

Family of 6 in the midwest

$500/month at Costco (including vitamins, paper goods and diapers)
$300/month at Aldi (mainly bread, produce, dairy and snacks)
$200/month on fill-in items from local grocer down the street
$100/month family takeaway/breakfast out
$100/month on work lunches
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

I've budgeted $400 for groceries items for two-person family. Some months are larger than others, but on average we spent about $350 per months. This includes food and the usual households stuffs (e.g. toillette paper, cleaning supplies, shampoo, etc), but not including eating out. We have separate budget, $100 / month, for eating out and we usually eat out 2-3 times a month.
I'd consider we eat pretty well (wife is a great cook) and healthy since we barely buy processed food, make our own bread, etc. We have CSA for most of our veggies, we buy organic / grass-fed meat but we don't eat a lot of meat, and other organic food only when recommended (there's a list of things when you "should/shouldn't buy organic"). We also buy food that we wouldn't necessarily buy when we were both still students and under tighter budget constraints such as nuts (almond, pecan, etc), the more 'expensive' veggies (think asparagus, brussel sprouts, etc).
Polaris

Post by Polaris »

Family of four, includes all groceries, toiletries, cleaning products, etc:

2008 $510/month
2009 $449/month
2010 $510/month
2011 $589/month
2012 $604/month (though Q1)

I've noticed constant food price inflation since I've been tracking our grocery spending data and I shop sales and coupon pretty aggressively. The number of recession-driven deals and promotions in 2009 made a very big difference in our spending, although that trend sputtered in 2010 and pretty much disappeared in 2011. I've seen the prices of just about everything increase during that time (dairy products, meat, produce, grains, etc.), which has coincided with the loss of the ongoing batch of cheap/free stuff that I had been getting on a regular basis for years. That being said, I still spend less than I did nearly a decade ago before I changed my grocery shopping strategy.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

No idea. Years ago, I used to break out all costs, but it just became another accounting exercise.

Today, just keep track of cash flow on a monthly basis (after tax income less expenses). If I really want to do a little more analysis with respect to my savings rate, I could use various moving average time frames to "smooth" out the bigger ticket items that pop up from time to time.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

About $800 a month...

We hit Wal-mart and Sam's Club once a week, and spend about $200 a week. But that includes everything from Wal-mart like trash-bags, paper-towels, laundry detergent, etc.

Family of 4 (Dad, Mom, 9-year old, 19 year-old)
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

555 wrote:I have absolutely no idea.
Yeah, be smart about the house and the car, and you don't have to sweat the small stuff.

We don't have a budget, and I frequently put things in the grocery cart just because "yum, that sounds good"
irwinmfletcher

Post by irwinmfletcher »

I can't believe some of the estimates in this thread. Here's ours (family of 3):

Groceries: about $1000
Lunches out: $200-$300
Dinners out: $400

That doesn't include target, costco, etc. We try to eat all organic (grass fed beef, organic milk, free range chicken, no farm raised fish), and most of the groceries are bought at Whole Foods.

Of course I eat more than any human I know, which contributes to the cost. I could save a lot by eating at McD's more often. Even my usual order of 3 double quarter pounders with cheese, large fry, a chocalate shake and a diet coke costs less than my typical meal.
Topic Author
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

rrosenkoetter wrote: Yeah, be smart about the house and the car, and you don't have to sweat the small stuff.
We don't have a budget, and I frequently put things in the grocery cart just because "yum, that sounds good"
$100 * 12 months * <# years, you've owned the oldest car in your household> = "I bet it is enough to buy a brand new compact car".

Small stuff matters... It is especially important if you are planning an early retirement, since (based on 3% withdrawal rate) $1,000 / monthly expenses require you to have 12*33,333.33 vs. for $1,100 / month your portfolio should be 10% higher @ 12*36,666.66.
Last edited by hsv_climber on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThinkingRunner

Post by ThinkingRunner »

Our average "grocery" bill is about $315/month (3 year average) for two adults. This includes toiletries and other miscellania.

Some detailed analysis reproduced from my previous posting on another thread: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 2&start=50
ThinkingRunner said:

I track my expenses pretty closely, so I can share actual data. This is for a family of two lacto-ovo-vegetarian adults (spouse and me).

In the 3-year period between 01/01/2009 and 12/31/2011, our "Groceries" expense category is at $11,364.31. This includes *all* spending at grocery stores (e.g. cleaning supplies, toiletries, etc.), not just food purchases. But I'll use this number to get a conservative estimate.

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner equate to 6 meals a day, or 365 x 3 x 6 = 6,570 meals over 3 years. We rarely eat out, once in 2 weeks is on the high side. So that's 26 x 3 x 2 = 156 meals over 3 years as an upper bound. Factor 3 weeks of vacation per year away from home (again on the high side), that's 21 x 3 x 6 = 378 meals. So, a very conservative lower bound on the number of meals we've eaten at home in these 3 years is 6,570 - 156 - 378 = 6,036 meals.

Dividing $11,364.31 by 6,036 meals gives an average of $1.88 per meal over this 3 year period. And this is a very loose upper bound, I'm sure our actual costs were at least 10-15% lower.

P.S. We eat very healthy (lots of fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grain, no pre-packaged/frozen foods, no "extreme couponing", everything prepared from scratch). We're both salaried, so I don't value the time I spend cooking in dollars. Plus cooking together is a great way to spend quality time with your spouse/family after a tough day at work.

Post by 555 »

rrosenkoetter wrote:
Yeah, be smart about the house and the car, and you don't have to sweat the small stuff.

Exactly. We live on 40% of income without having a budget, just being naturally frugal, but not worrying too much about it.

We could probably live on 30% of income with a strict budget but why bother.

If we some time find we're spending too much, we'll investigate and plug the leak, otherwise, no worries.
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Here was poll I did a few months back compared to what the USDA says we need to live on. It did spur some intresting topics!

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=89063

Edit: Link update
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

rrosenkoetter wrote:

I have this problem, well maybe not a problem but I need to walk more miles per day from all that "yum, that sounds good" in cart :wink:
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
papito23

Post by papito23 »

$175/mo during 2009 for 2 Midwestern adults w/ a big garden and an Aldi nearby. You can eat cheap and healthy but have to put in time for food prep (grains, beans, veggies, fruit). Also, we remember that we have to "pay your farmer or pay your doctor".

Added a baby for 2012. Not enough data yet, but maybe $230-290/mo now. Breastfeeding means our only food costs are via mom (have bought exactly 1 can of formula for our 8-month old).

2010-2011 lived overseas (Bolivia). A typical trip to the market yielded all of the following for US $8.50. The quinoa alone would cost nearly that in the U.S.:
2 bags of homemade jam (orange & pineapple), 1 doz. bananas, 2 lbs carrot, 1 lb quinoa, 2 apples, 1 avocado, 3 lb potatoes, 1 block of homemade cheese, 1 pepper, 1 lb tomato, 10 eggs, 3 lb yucca, 2 lb sweet potato
A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise. -Aldo Leopold's Golden Rule of Ecology
mud

Post by mud »

My wife and I are currently at $595 YEAR TO DATE for our groceries, so about $150/month. Eating out (1-2 times a month at inexpensive restaurants) comes out of our entertainment budget. The $150/month only includes food eaten in the home. Other household purchases (toilet paper, light bulbs, etc) is tracked in a different part of our budget. We live in a small city with a relatively low cost of living, so we are lucky in that regard.

We do it by growing a lot and preserving a lot of produce each year, buying non-perishables in bulk (25lb bags of oatmeal, 50 lb bags of flour, etc), baking (haven't bought bread in at least 3 years) and cooking just about everything from scratch (with plenty of leftovers for lunches and dinners), shopping almost exclusively at the "bargain" grocery stores, and always taking lunch to work. We both feel like we have plenty of high-quality food (lots of inexpensive, but quality, produce), adequate junk food (tortilla chips and pretzels, usually), and we never go hungry. We did buy an 1/8 of a cow last fall, and occasionally will buy small amounts of meat from a local butcher shop.

The one thing that I'm always amazed at is how much food we can get for $20 at one of our local bargain grocery stores--when oranges are 5 for a dollar, grapefruit 3 for a dollar, $2 for 2 heads of lettuce, .79 avocadoes, etc, you can take quite a haul of fresh produce for easily half of what it would cost at a normal store. And this stuff isn't bruised or overripe, either, although we sometimes have to be careful to pick through some produce that is past its prime.

Luckily, we both enjoy this type of shopping (finding bargains!), so it's not a chore for us at all.
Polaris

Post by Polaris »

rrosenkoetter wrote:

Interesting how we all have different perspectives of what the small stuff is. For me, the $9600 per year that you spend on groceries definitely doesn't fall into that category. :)
Clearly_Irrational

Post by Clearly_Irrational »

Polaris wrote:Interesting how we all have different perspectives of what the small stuff is. For me, the $9600 per year that you spend on groceries definitely doesn't fall into that category. :)
I agree, but I'm guessing it depends on what percentage of your income that is. If you're a radiologist making $500k a year that's probably pocket money, a manager making 180k a year would feel pretty frugal, while an IT Worker making $80k a year would feel like it's a hefty chunk of change and a social worker making $30k a year would be stressing out big time.
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

Between US$500 - 600 a month just for me. Sadly we don't produce any food out here so everything is imported.

Post by 555 »

Polaris wrote:
rrosenkoetter wrote:
Interesting how we all have different perspectives of what the small stuff is. For me, the $9600 per year that you spend on groceries definitely doesn't fall into that category. :)
You were referring to rrosenkoetter's spending. And although I have absolutely no idea what our spending is, I think there's no way it could be that much, because I'd notice.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

I spend around $1200 for a family of three. We've tried to control our grocery spending for a few years. It hasn't worked. This doesn't hurt us financially. We've come to the conclusion that we can't fix the problem. I guess most of our money goes to meat purchased at Whole Foods. We aren't bogleheads when it comes to grocery spending, but we try to make up for it with other savings habits.
grap0013

Post by grap0013 »

irwinmfletcher wrote:I can't believe some of the estimates in this thread. Here's ours (family of 3):

That doesn't include target, costco, etc. We try to eat all organic (grass fed beef, organic milk, free range chicken, no farm raised fish), and most of the groceries are bought at Whole Foods.

Of course I eat more than any human I know, which contributes to the cost. I could save a lot by eating at McD's more often. Even my usual order of 3 double quarter pounders with cheese, large fry, a chocalate shake and a diet coke costs less than my typical meal.
How much is that heart attack gonna cost ya? :wink: I hope McD's isn't too often with that order!

Organic and McD's are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Some binging and purging going here?!
There are no guarantees, only probabilities.
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

We spend about $10 dollars per day per person on things from the grocery store.
Regards, | | Guy
MNDMDL

Post by MNDMDL »

I purchased a quarter cow and half a pig last year for about $750. Still have a quarter of them left. I get a huge organic veggie box delivered 2x/month @ 54ea. Then we use the envelope system of $200 per pay period for staples and dining out. I purchase bread, rice, pasta, some chicken and some fish, toiletries, paper products, dog food, etc. When the money runs out we eat what's in the house but we've never really ran out unless we splurged dining out. My family consists of two food loving adults, a 9y.o. and a beagle.

I track our spending using my Ipad with an app called "Expenses Under Control". Turns out that food is our biggest monthly expense right after housing. I just got it a month ago and may take our food budget down $50 bucks and put it into our Sharebuilder account. I'm new here and trying to tighten up the ship.

So I'd say we spend $62.50/mo. on meat, $108/mo. on veggies and $400/mo. on stapes.....so $570.50/mo. & $6846/yr. Wow. I didn't know that!
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

irwinmfletcher wrote:I can't believe some of the estimates in this thread. Here's ours (family of 3):

Gotta ask...why the diet coke?!
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

I would say about $200-$225 per month which includes nonfood items such as toiletries and the rare dinner out (about once a month on average). One person only (me).
Polaris

Post by Polaris »

555 wrote:
Polaris wrote:
rrosenkoetter wrote:
You were referring to rrosenkoetter's spending. And although I have absolutely no idea what our spending is, I think there's no way it could be that much, because I'd notice.
Agreed, that's why I quoted rrosenkoetter's post.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

supersharpie wrote:Of course I eat more than any human I know, which contributes to the cost. I could save a lot by eating at McD's more often. Even my usual order of 3 double quarter pounders with cheese, large fry, a chocalate shake and a diet coke costs less than my typical meal.
Gotta ask...why the diet coke?![/quote]
Why not?

Brian
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

Default User BR wrote:Why not?

Brian
Most people who drink diet soda do so because they are trying to limit their caloric intake. When you are already injecting 3000+ calories at a shot, what's another 200-300?

I realize that some people prefer the flavor of diet to regular so I guess that could be it.
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

Groceries, somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k/yr. Restaurants (that I have to pay for) maybe 3-4 dinners per month - it used to be fewer but I've started having more of a social life lately. 4-person household with teenagers. I work from home and don't usually eat out for lunch.

Yes, we spend too much, but we do eat wonderfully well and that makes me happy. There are worse things to blow money on. Groceries probably amount to about 40% of my regular monthly expenses other than rent and legal obligations and are the single biggest category after them (the next largest is my gas & electric bill).

-janet
Tortoise Banker

Post by Tortoise Banker »

rr2 wrote:About $500 for two per month which includes household cleaning products, paper goods etc. We live in a high cost state (Hawaii), for eg., Milk is $5-6/gallon, eggs are $5/dozen etc. Food costs can be 50% higher than the mainland ==> Paradise tax ;)
+1 Hawaii is brutal with produce too. My fiancee and I are targeting $600 for groceries, household products and eating out here in Maui.
The winning strategy is simple, but not easy...

Post by 555 »

Polaris wrote:`Agreed, that's why I quoted rrosenkoetter's post.'
I know. I was just clarifying for other readers who didn't follow who said what.
expat

Post by expat »

$1,500 per month for a family of 5.
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

charlesmorgan wrote:
rr2 wrote:About $500 for two per month which includes household cleaning products, paper goods etc. We live in a high cost state (Hawaii), for eg., Milk is $5-6/gallon, eggs are $5/dozen etc. Food costs can be 50% higher than the mainland ==> Paradise tax ;)
+1 Hawaii is brutal with produce too. My fiancee and I are targeting $600 for groceries, household products and eating out here in Maui.
Same here. Eggs are $7/half doz, milk is $12/gallon. Tax haven tax :happy

Post by 555 »

HongKonger wrote:
charlesmorgan wrote:
Same here. Eggs are $7/half doz, milk is $12/gallon. Tax haven tax :happy
Yikes! How much do truffles and caviar cost?
chaz

Post by chaz »

It varies too much.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
ragabnh

Post by ragabnh »

Family of 3, live overseas currently, spend $1200 on groceries and $1000 on dining and lunch, all what I can say we eat first class, probably could cut that easily by 1/2 as food prices are slightly less than the US.
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

555 wrote:Yikes! How much do truffles and caviar cost?
If my food budget was broken out, there'd be a line item in there for truffle butter.

I mean, it's actually pretty affordable considering how little you need to use but even more importantly...it *freezes*, and well, so you don't find yourself in the (admittedly, somewhat enviable) position of *having* to go through a whole truffle in a short time frame.

Speaking of indulgences, these folks have truly fantastic deals on top quality saffron and vanilla bean:

http://www.saffron.com

No affiliation, just very satisfied. Now if I could only find terva snapsi and a real raw brie in the USA...

-janet
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

We are 3 adults and an 8 year old, our grocery bill is $1100 per month for food, paper, cleaning supplies and toiletry from Walmart. Prior to it we went to the local grocery chain Hannaford in upstate NY which was $280/ month more expensive for exactly the same brand names and their own store brands. Additionally we spend $250 extra for take-out food per month. I did comparisons on trips to grocery stores the last years, buying same brands and store specifics over a month each, listed those in Excel spreadsheet and made my decisions based on that. The Walmart advantage was simply too big to ignore. I also noticed that the Hannaford store was increasing all prices by 10% over a year prior to my switch last year.
crinkles

Post by crinkles »

Hi Guys

From an Australian Viewpoint:
Family of five, includes all groceries, toiletries, cleaning products, etc. excluding dog food:

A$1300 per month
US$ 1350 approx.

Cost of living is very high in Australia.
milestogo

Post by milestogo »

2 adults - $500 not including cleaning supplies but including toiletries and paper towels/etc.
We are almost vegan now and this change has really reduced our grocery budget from last year by more than half.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

+1
I have never budgeted in all my 64 years, never saw a need to even though our income has been modest. Was always taught to buy what you need, save the rest. Food is an item we have never skimped on, I have a large garden and we buy mostly items with only one or to ingredients, avoiding processed food saves $$
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Topic Author
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

To All the people who posted "No idea" / "Never budgeted" - I was in your camp a few months ago.
And then I've discovered a magic. Magic has a name - Mint.com.
Sign up, provide your accounts info and ... that is it. You won't need to make "no idea" posts anymore, since it would take you less than 30sec. to look at Mint statement to know exactly how much you spend on groceries / month. Of course, it would be up to you either you'd want to increase / decrease / do nothing on your grocery spending after that. But that is not important.
The important thing is that you won't need to make "No Idea" posts anymore and be defensive about it.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I don't have a budget, but I do know what I spend on groceries, since I track my expenditures in an Excel spreadsheet.
Gordon
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

hsv_climber wrote:To All the people who posted "No idea" / "Never budgeted" - I was in your camp a few months ago.
And then I've discovered a magic. Magic has a name - Mint.com.
Tried it, it botched bond valuations making it useless. This has been a problem with them for years and the fact that they have not rectified it puzzles me. And then there is the well discussed issue of allowing them access to your information and the fact that you may be violating your agreements with your bank, brokerage, etc by downloading directly to mint.
hsv_climber wrote:You won't need to make "no idea" posts anymore, since it would take you less than 30sec. to look at Mint statement to know exactly how much you spend on groceries / month. Of course, it would be up to you either you'd want to increase / decrease / do nothing on your grocery spending after that. But that is not important.
The important thing is that you won't need to make "No Idea" posts anymore and be defensive about it.
I understand that some can benefit from budgeting, it just isn't a need I have ever had. If I came across defensive, apologies to all offended.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Topic Author
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Tried it, it botched bond valuations making it useless. This has been a problem with them for years and the fact that they have not rectified it puzzles me. And then there is the well discussed issue of allowing them access to your information and the fact that you may be violating your agreements with your bank, brokerage, etc by downloading directly to mint.

No, I would not recommend to link your brokerage/investment accounts to Mint. Mint is not really good for portfolio management. There are better tools for Portfolio management, like MorningStar, Vanguard, etc.
Mint is good for tracking expenses.
TheGreyingDuke wrote:I understand that some can benefit from budgeting, it just isn't a need I have ever had. If I came across defensive, apologies to all offended.
Like gkaplan wrote, knowing how much you spend is not the same as budgeting. There is nothing about budgeting in this thread.
Budgeting is establishing a planned level of expenditures.
Tracking is identifying posteriori the level of expenditures. With the modern tools, tracking can be fully automated.
tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting »

Average $240/month for one adult for plant-based unprocessed diet. Includes minimal paper products and lots of good coffee! 8-)
It's Good To Be A Boglehead
Cloud

Post by Cloud »

We have no budget. 2 of us and we eat out a lot. Don't use coupons and consume a lot of more expensive locally grown and raised food.

Quicken says for the last 12 months:

Groceries = 330/month
Dinning out = 670/month
Total = 1,000/month

I look at these number and think it's a lot compared to what most of you posted but then I remember that Americans spend a lower percentage of their income on food then almost any other country in the world. I don't have a problem buying good food.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

hsv_climber wrote:
Like gkaplan wrote, knowing how much you spend is not the same as budgeting. There is nothing about budgeting in this thread.
Budgeting is establishing a planned level of expenditures.
Tracking is identifying posteriori the level of expenditures. With the modern tools, tracking can be fully automated.
Point worth taking, now if I can get Quicken to behave I will have a go at it!
G-Force

Post by G-Force »

About $400-450/month for just myself. I eat a lot of fresh meat which raises my expenses significantly.