Car Insurance (with tickets)?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
BigMike

Car Insurance (with tickets)?

Post by BigMike »

Got my insurance renewal today from Travelers. Because my wife and I each got a ticket last year, our annual premium has increased by nearly $700! Anyone have suggestions for other reliable companies that might be less expensive, even with a couple of tickets?
ilmartello

Re: Car Insurance (with tickets)?

Post by ilmartello »

It varies by state, I am told that the insurance regulator from your state, the Insurance Commissioner generally publishes a survey of insurers for different premiums . That is a good place to start. If you are over 55, you can get a mature discount. If you have home insurance, these days a cheaper rate if you bundle that with car insurance.
Default User BR

Re: Car Insurance (with tickets)?

Post by Default User BR »

BigMike wrote:Got my insurance renewal today from Travelers. Because my wife and I each got a ticket last year, our annual premium has increased by nearly $700! Anyone have suggestions for other reliable companies that might be less expensive, even with a couple of tickets?
For the future, try not to get stuck with points. Many jurisdictions allow taking traffic school instead (at higher out-of-pocket cost). You can also hire an attorney who will try to get it converted to a non-moving violation (even more out of pocket). Some have reported success in approaching the prosecutor and making their own plea bargain.

Brian