At what age did you start feeling old?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
SamB

Re: At what age did you start feeling old?

Post by SamB »

62 - Focal dystonia showed up playing a musical instrument and dry eye started soon afterward. As far physical stamina not much has changed, but the two age related conditions changed what I can and cannot do. I can't ride a bicycle century in 90 degree temperatures anymore and my band and orchestra days are unfortunately over. However, if I had been a professional musician my dystonia probably would have showed up 30 years ago. The dry eye is just age, but a real annoyance. Reading is tough now and I used to do a lot of that.
mhc

Post by mhc »

Late 30's. I realized I was older than most professional athletes.

I'm in my mid 40's and still get asked for ID at stores. I guess I look better than I feel.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

mhc wrote:Late 30's. I realized I was older than most professional athletes.

I'm in my mid 40's and still get asked for ID at stores. I guess I look better than I feel.

Safeway asks me for ID every time I buy adult beverages! - (new law in CA :cry: )
Dale_G

Post by Dale_G »

74+ and starting to think I may become a "grown up" pretty soon.

That said, the ravages of time are doing their thing. Someday I may give in to "feeling old", I just can't imagine when.

Dale
Volatility is my friend
greenspam

Post by greenspam »

not yet,
but,
i think that if i ever need a 'little blue pill' to have a romantic night with the wife,
then i will feel old.

(ut-oh; just jinxed myself).
:peace :peace :peace :peace :peace :peace :peace :peace :peace :peace
as always, | peace, | greenie.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

One marker was the moment when I was aware of the existence of people I thought of as adults--not young adults, just adults--that were enough younger than I as to have a somewhat different perspective on technology, historic events, etc. I remember the specific moment. I was talking to a fellow grad student:

Colleague: "My major professor told me to borrow the capacitance meter from the electronics shop, but the technician says it's out for repairs. It needs a new 'magic eye tube,' whatever that is."

Me: "Oh, you know. One of those tubes that shows a green ring with a shadow."

Colleague: "Huh?"

Me: "You know. Like on radio tuning indicators."

Me: "Oh, you know. The shadow expands and contracts. Like the level indicators on cheap tape recorders that don't have VU meters."

And it gradually sinks in on me that this guy is just not going to get it because he has never seen a magic eye tube, not even one, not once in his entire life.

You know. Like one of these.

Then there was the time I began to notice that people didn't understand my joking references to "To the best of my recollection at this point in time," "Twisting slowly, slowly in the wind," "Sinister force," "Modified limited hang out," "That statement is no longer operative," etc.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Patchy Groundfog

Post by Patchy Groundfog »

Sometime in my early fifties I realized that I was becoming invisible. When you reach a certain age, people start to look through you or around you, but never at you. It's kind of liberating, really. As long as I don't look crazy, nobody's going to notice what I'm wearing or whether I need a haircut.
The best things in life aren't things.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Patchy Groundfog wrote:Sometime in my early fifties I realized that I was becoming invisible. When you reach a certain age, people start to look through you or around you, but never at you. It's kind of liberating, really. As long as I don't look crazy, nobody's going to notice what I'm wearing or whether I need a haircut.
Actually this is interesting. I have the opposite problem, well not really a problem. Young women seek me out in crowds. Really. Happens all the time.

I am just standing there. They pick me out of the crowd walk over and say things like: "I'm lost. I don't know where the bus picks up. Can you tell me where to go?" If ever I was a young dashing, slightly rogue-ish and dangerous figure that attracted women that is long gone. Now I'm the completely safe but competent looking father figure. :) I was out in Boulder Co, early fall or late summer, warm afternoon with time to go for a run. I decide to run up Bear Mountain, a modest climb of about 3000 ft west of town. There was a map at the trail head and I stopped to make sure I knew where to go. I struck up a conversation about the map with three very healthy young women, maybe students from the University of CO. They had great looking gear for a jaunt in local hills. They noticed I did not have a water bottle and got very concerned about the kindly old guy and talked to me about being careful and not working too hard, etc. Very sweet of them to look after me with sincere concern. I told them I would be careful, but was tempted to tell them I have been doing this for far longer than they have been alive and I had a pretty good idea of what I was doing. :)
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
wander

Post by wander »

mhc wrote:Late 30's. I realized I was older than most professional athletes.
I went to a restaurant with a co-worker who retired (in his 70s). He ordered a beer and waitress asked to show his ID. I asked why and she told me that was the policy. It turned out that few weeks before, the restaurant mistakenly sold beer to a teenager who look like an adult with gray hair.
graveday

Post by graveday »

The saying is 'forty ain't old if you're a tree', but that was 28 years ago. I don't feel old, but rigor mortis sets in if I stay still too long because my body thinks I died.
jaytheman

Post by jaytheman »

rec7 wrote:I would say for me it was in my 40's.
When I was 63 and I hurt my back badly and could not recover physically. But here is my favorite quote about age from Satchel Page: "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?

I think this is the way to live your life but with some small adjustments re. 100mi bike rides. I have met people in their 40's that act much older than those in their 80's.

Jay
beardsworth

Post by beardsworth »

jaytheman wrote: . . . my favorite quote about age from Satchel Page: "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?" . . .
Which reminds me of jazz great Eubie Blake, who reached 96: "If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself." :)
BenBritt

Post by BenBritt »

At age 64 when I came out of the field after working my Brittany.
btenny

Post by btenny »

When I got diagnosed with cancer in 2000 at 53 was the first major blow.. Thankfully it all worked out OK but it sure was a shock.. That same year I also worked/skied a lot with some young guys who were 20-30. Some days they invited me to tag along ( :D :D ) with them after skiing. They would dance and live it up at the night clubs and bars until midnight or 1AM knowing that work/skiing started again at 8AM. Unfortunitely I would just run out of energy at 8-10PM. Then I really knew I was getting old. :(

Bill
Ted Kan

Post by Ted Kan »

My mother just turned 100. She said she didn't feel old until in her 90s when we moved her from her home to live with us. She's now in asisted living.
steadyeddy

Post by steadyeddy »

I look like I'm in middle school, but my knees hurt after an afternoon on the soccer field. Tough break.
VictoriaF

Discussing age is unproductive

Post by VictoriaF »

"Feeling old" or "feeling young" or "feeling one's age" is a useless concept. Discussing it is never productive. Jokes about age are usually dull, even if self-effacing.

I focus on issues and try to fix them if I can. If I can't, I move on.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Rajsx

Post by Rajsx »

I would say just after age 50 I started feeling old, Motorcycle was a birthday present for myself and was sure I (was) ??am good at it as I used to ride while in College, had a simple fall, tibial fracture, then complicated healing, staph infections & multiple knee replacements, plastic surgery of the knee with bone, muscle & skin grafting. I was old by the time I got around to walking again. So yes, at around 50 due to the unfortunate accident and delayed healing.
Skiffy

Post by Skiffy »

45-my hair went rapidly gray. That makes you look old, then people start asking about the grandkids. Whoops, kids are still teenagers.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Old??? Are you kidding? :confused I'm only 71. I'll let you know when it happens.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
graveday

Re: Discussing age is unproductive

Post by graveday »

VictoriaF wrote:"Feeling old" or "feeling young" or "feeling one's age" is a useless concept. Discussing it is never productive. Jokes about age are usually dull, even if self-effacing.

Victoria
So you're old, eh?
gnosis

Post by gnosis »

Definitely the big THREE-OH.
newbie001

Post by newbie001 »

graveday wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:"Feeling old" or "feeling young" or "feeling one's age" is a useless concept. Discussing it is never productive. Jokes about age are usually dull, even if self-effacing.

Victoria
So you're old, eh?

:D
DoWahDaddy

Post by DoWahDaddy »

nisiprius wrote:One marker was the moment when I was aware of the existence of people I thought of as adults--not young adults, just adults--that were enough younger than I as to have a somewhat different perspective on technology, historic events, etc. I remember the specific moment. I was talking to a fellow grad student:

Colleague: "My major professor told me to borrow the capacitance meter from the electronics shop, but the technician says it's out for repairs. It needs a new 'magic eye tube,' whatever that is."

Me: "Oh, you know. One of those tubes that shows a green ring with a shadow."

Me: "You know. Like on radio tuning indicators."

Me: "Oh, you know. The shadow expands and contracts. Like the level indicators on cheap tape recorders that don't have VU meters."

And it gradually sinks in on me that this guy is just not going to get it because he has never seen a magic eye tube, not even one, not once in his entire life.

You know. Like one of these.

Then there was the time I began to notice that people didn't understand my joking references to "To the best of my recollection at this point in time," "Twisting slowly, slowly in the wind," "Sinister force," "Modified limited hang out," "That statement is no longer operative," etc.
Huh?
"I've worked in the private sector. They expect results." - Dr. Raymond Stantz
DoWahDaddy

Post by DoWahDaddy »

But seriously folks... Kind of surprised no one else felt old for the first time at 27.

Four syllables, man.
"I've worked in the private sector. They expect results." - Dr. Raymond Stantz
BenBritt

Post by BenBritt »

Victoria F, try to lighten up a bit. Not everthing is serious.
graveday

Post by graveday »

BenBritt wrote:Victoria F, try to lighten up a bit. Not everthing is serious.
Actually, she has fully intact sense of humor, judging from many of her posts.
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I started feeling old in my 20's, but it was just because I was depressed and unhappy. Now I'm 62 and I don't feel old today, because I got a good nights sleep last night and it's pretty out and I feel happy.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
scouter

Post by scouter »

I still feel like I'm in my 30s, (I'm 55), but I sure have noticed how young all the star athletes and singers look now. They looked older years ago.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I am still OK with 72, do not feel old, though hearing is not perfect. I just survived successfully walking through traffic across Manhattan to an appointment and back to the railroad station. But I really will feel great again when Spring starts and I can work in my yard and garden for hours. Perhaps we should have a poll about nominating the inventors of Lipitor and Vi***a for the Nobel price, those really improve life.
Imperabo

Post by Imperabo »

I don't feel old yet. In fact, I feel younger than I have in long time because I just read Nisiprius's post and don't have the faintest idea what he's talking about. :D
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

We played a coed indoor soccer game tonight. I skipped the bar in favor of a shower and a sandwich....my back is killing me. I'm 29 and today I feel old.
tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting »

Not old, exactly, but at some point (long ago, now) I had the unpleasant realization that all the cops and doctors were now younger than me--way younger-- instead of older like it had always been before. :shock: Now some of them are starting to look like they're about 12 years old. And I'm only 62.

All you can do is make up your mind to be the absolutely best version you can, of whatever age it is you happen to be. As they say it beats the alternative.
It's Good To Be A Boglehead
norookie

Post by norookie »

Victoria
I'm always self deprecating, lighting up francis! :lol IIRC many big statured individuals have been self-depricating. RMNixon, GWBush, are the only 2 that come to mind at the moment. Sorry for straying OTOP :lol
Sure wish there was a sarcasm font...
icon, you should visit the http://www.thewatchsite.com, another hobby of mine, icons that could be used to a OPs, OP, as as an entire response!Like that movie "FIRE" NO words! just grunts and expressions.
Last edited by norookie on Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

I'm going to hit 40 in a matter of weeks and no ways do I feel old. I still get bemused when people ask me if I have kids.
LH

Post by LH »

42ish

My near vision is going, and I can feel my body start to deteriorate. Need to start exercising and such, 20s 30s does not matter so much, now.... Its the beginning of use it or lose it.

I need sleep now, before I could get by on 4 hours for a 2-3 days. etc. etc.

I did not feel old in my 30s, or when I turned 40.

Only thing happened when I turned 40 was a guy had a heart attack that was 42, and I was like FORTY TWO?!!?!?! Whereas, when I was 39, a 42 year old heart attack did not effect me, was not personal to me, because he was in his 40s, and I my 30s, just how the human mind works subconsciously, no way around it. Kinda interesting to catch myself at it.

Course all relative, if I make it to 60, this will be part of my youth : )
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

DoWahDaddy wrote:But seriously folks... Kind of surprised no one else felt old for the first time at 27.

Four syllables, man.
I did not so much as feel old at 28, but was for some reason really struck by my 28th birthday because it struck me that I probably would never climb as hard going forward as I was climbing then.

Largely true as it turns out, partly because I started having less time and partly due to aging. But I found the slope very gentle and I did some of my best long distance running more than 10 years after that.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Unfortunately, I have noticed a steady degradation in a number of variables starting around age 40.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

In my 40s. I never thought about age but somewhere in my early 40s I became very aware of my age. Part of this was having a 17 year old in the house with her friends. She has friends ranging from her age to 21 and they look like young adults and they way they treat me makes me feel old. I feel so out of touch when I talk to them.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
beardsworth

Post by beardsworth »

deleted
Last edited by beardsworth on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midpack

Post by Midpack »

graveday wrote:
You only live once...
Mr Grumpy

Post by Mr Grumpy »

Hard to say. To some degree its situational. I was 22 when most in my rifle squad were 19-20, so I was the old man. In my mid 40's I needed reading glasses and that was the first time I realized I was on a life path that will have an end - but still didn't feel old. I'm retired now, but on occasion in my last year of work, some days I wanted a nap after lunch, but this year I don't.
I don't think of myself as old, but older. I was talking to an insurance agent a few weeks ago and she asked me about myself. Knowing we would never meet in person, I said I was just like Cary Grant, "but without the charm or good looks." And yup...she asked me who Cary Grant was. So you never know.
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

26 or 27. Body's OK but I feel like my brain's about 30 years older than it actually is.
Trev H

Post by Trev H »

50 years old now and would say I started feeling old around 46-48.

To me feeling old = the aches and pains that come on and just don't go away and make life a bit less enjoyable.

It's definately worse in the winter months, better in summer. Perhaps I need to do like the birds and move south for the winter.

Trev H
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Midpack wrote:
graveday wrote:
I love it when people discuss me; it's my favorite subject. :-) As for my initial comment, I would have liked to have a "contrarian" smiley.

To restate my point, humans largely are what they say or think they are. When a person forces himself to smile this muscular effort cheers him up. When a person says, "I am stupid," he neurologically becomes more stupid. And by the same token, someone lamenting about his age ages.

In one experiment, some students had to solve puzzles that had words like retirement, Alzheimer's, arthritis, and alike. The control group of students were solving puzzles of similar difficulty and neutral meaning. After the puzzles were solved, the students had to walk along a long corridor. Those who have just worked on the retirement puzzles walked significantly slower than the control group. They were feeling old!

In another experiment, a group of older people was placed in an artificial environment of their youth. People were asked to dress in the fashion of that period, they were watching films and listening to the music of that epoch, their food, discussions and other aspects of life were replicating the times of their youth as closely as it was possible. After reliving their youth for several weeks, the participants' vital signs such as blood pressure have improved dramatically. They were almost literally young!

And so my point is that lamenting about one's age is not harmless; it provides no advantages and possibly causes harm.

Victoria

P.S. I did not bother looking for the references to the two experiments I mentioned. I think the first one was described in Dan Ariely's book.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

I thought I would have a hard time when I hit 40. I didn't. But when I hit 41! Now that's old. :D It was a little after this time that I really didn't "get" younger folks or their music, and I didn't care to.
clevername

Post by clevername »

Anyone under the age of about 20 doesn't know why we hit this image to save our work:

Or why digital cameras all make this sound effect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlOtQj0htkM

Or why digital phone ringers sound like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAsXKpjsCDI#t=0m39s

For further consideration:

-kids born after 9/11 are old enough to have conversations about 9/11
-kids born after OJ was found not guilty are driving now
-kids born after the first Gulf War are drinking age now
-18yo kids getting ready to vote in November were born well after Clinton was first elected

and for my grand finale: the day the Berlin Wall fell was closer to the first moon landing than the present day. (20 years and change vs 22 years and change.)

Just sayin'
graveday

Post by graveday »

VictoriaF wrote:
Midpack wrote: I love it when people discuss me; it's my favorite subject. :-)
I met a guy who likes to say, 'Well, that's enough of me talking about me. What do you think about me?'
Rich0123

Post by Rich0123 »

No matter my age, ten years older than me always seems old.
runner26

Post by runner26 »

Right about now. Almost 62.