At what age did you start feeling old?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
TenS2XS

Re: At what age did you start feeling old?

Post by TenS2XS »

I felt older when our child announced his engagement, but not old.

I felt older when a parent passed away, but not old.

I felt older at the milestone of 30 years with my employer, but not old.

I think I will feel old when I can no longer do something independently that I more or less take for granted today...driving, walking, eating, remembering what I did yesterday. I can only hope that by then I'll feel that I lived my life fully and that I can find enjoyment and meaning by focusing on what I can still do.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

graveday wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Midpack wrote: I love it when people discuss me; it's my favorite subject. :-)
I met a guy who likes to say, 'Well, that's enough of me talking about me. What do you think about me?'
Unless Midpack is that guy, he may not be pleased that you attributed my statement to him.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

investor wrote:last year when I turned 70. I figure there are 10 more good years before I start falling apart.

investor
oldest child just turned 49; my 73rd birthday this Sunday (the 19th); kidney surgery in '09; pacemaker a year ago January; anticipating cataract surgery this spring; lungs not as functional anymore;

yeah, the bumps and aches are slower to heal, BUT, I work out daily, bike, swim, play tennis, quit work last May so I added some nap time to my schedule, and all in all feel I am pretty lucky to be where I am. every once in awhile I catch myself in the mirror looking just like my dad. yep, feeling old and loving it...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
raisin mountaineer

Post by raisin mountaineer »

At age 53, I'm always surprised when I look in the mirror and see my mother's face. I'm surprised when I see a photo and note that I really should have touched up those grays earlier. And I'm really surprised when I go out for a hike or run and my feet start hurting during the first mile.

In my head, I am not old. I am eternally about 30 (the height of my strength and beauty, such as either were). I am still waiting to see who/what I will be when I grow up. I am still hoping to make something of myself. I still think that I might take up some new hobby, or improve my skills in one of my current ones. I still wonder if people like me, and I self-analyze to see if there's anything I can do to make that happen. There are days (ok, I admit it: weeks) when I am still as confused and geeky as I was as a teenager.

On the other hand, I know exactly how many months I have left until I can retire, and I know exactly how much more I need to stash away to get there. I don't waste time on mean people. (alternately, sometimes I am peevish myself.) So--- maybe I don't feel old, but perhaps I feel like that impending adulthood might arrive sometime, oh, in the next twenty years or so...
bru

Post by bru »

Try being the father of a preschooler when other people your age can easily be grandparents. Like David Letterman said, when I go to my son's school they say "Grandpa?".
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

bru wrote:Try being the father of a preschooler when other people your age can easily be grandparents. Like David Letterman said, when I go to my son's school they say "Grandpa?".
I had the opposite problem at my daughter's 12th birthday - two of her friends I hadn't met before referred to me as her big sister. I guess I should consider it a compliment, but eesh! My mother in-law was there and I was calling *her* "mom", and the children call her "mamá", so I guess I can see their train of thought.

Having had children so young, I felt without a peer group for much of the time my children were small. Their friends' parents were all in their mid '30s or '40s, and I wasn't.

-janet
graveday

Post by graveday »

VictoriaF wrote:
graveday wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Midpack wrote: I love it when people discuss me; it's my favorite subject. :-)
I met a guy who likes to say, 'Well, that's enough of me talking about me. What do you think about me?'
Unless Midpack is that guy, he may not be pleased that you attributed my statement to him.

Victoria
I hate it when I do that, but at least I have company.
kontango

Post by kontango »

48 now and I don't feel remotely old.
pchela

Post by pchela »

[post from banned spammer deleted by admin alex]
Quasimodo

Post by Quasimodo »

Within the last year my hips have started to ache when I go for even a short walk, so I'd say that has made me feel old. I'm 73 and never imagined I would live this long given my poor lifestyle choices as a young man.

I feel grateful.

John
Many wealthy people are little more than janitors of their possessions. | | Frank Lloyd Wright, architect (1867-1959)
Malcolm2012

Post by Malcolm2012 »

0700 today. But it will pass (I hope). :)

Read an interesting article about the different way we see ourselves in the mirror, compared to how others see us. Also I have noticed that it has much more to do with mental attitudes than physical.

I plan to not to let an old person inside my skin on a permanent basis.

M