Net10 phone - Access Internet through WiFi?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Net10 phone - Access Internet through WiFi?

Postby Bitzer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:01 am

Sorry if this post is in the wrong category, but the consumer forum was locked.

I have an LG800g phone with a Net10 lan. I don't use a lot of data, but occasionally like to check email and stock quotes, etc. I find that, when I do this, I use a lot of my Net10 minutes as I fumble around to find the information that I need.

Is it possible to access the Internet with my phone at free WiFi hotspots (such as those found at coffee shops), thereby not using my Net10 minutes?

Thanks!
Bitzer

Re: Net10 phone - Access Internet through WiFi?

Postby The Wizard » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:24 pm

The user's guide says nothing about WiFi capability for this phone.
http://www.net10.com/Common/English/Dig ... /15595.pdf
That really sad; this must be an older version of what's out there now.

So the simple answer to your question is "no".
The extended answer to your question is that this is not acceptable and that you should start shopping around for a suitable upgrade. I recommend an Android smartphone of some sort...
Attempted new signature...
The Wizard

Postby sscritic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:32 pm

Bitzer wrote:Sorry if this post is in the wrong category, but the consumer forum was locked.

And what made you then think a consumer question was appropriate on this board?

Take your question to a forum dedicated to consumer issues; this isn't it (at least for now).
sscritic

Postby HueyLD » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Bitzer wrote:I have an LG800g phone with a Net10 lan. I don't use a lot of data, but occasionally like to check email and stock quotes, etc. I find that, when I do this, I use a lot of my Net10 minutes as I fumble around to find the information that I need.

Is it possible to access the Internet with my phone at free WiFi hotspots (such as those found at coffee shops), thereby not using my Net10 minutes?

No. You will use up minutes even for making toll-free phone calls.

Do you have a small netbook or something similar that you can use at free WiFi spots?
HueyLD

Postby Bitzer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:59 pm

@ The Wizard - Thanks, I didn't realize that net10 posts instruction manuals for their phones online. I will look to see if their LG Optimus phone (an Android phone) offers Wifi capability.

@ sscritic - The consumer forum was locked when I tried to post on it. I saw a similar cellphone question posted on this forum, so I assumed (perhaps mistakenly) that I could post my cellphone question here as well. Plus, I would think that cellphones, since they involve a monetary expenditure, are at least somewhat related to personal finance. If I committed a transgression or otherwise offended you by posting in this forum, please accept my apologies.
Bitzer

Postby Default User BR » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:22 pm

sscritic wrote:Take your question to a forum dedicated to consumer issues; this isn't it (at least for now).

I would say that since you are not a moderator, it's not really your call. If you think the post is inappropriate, I would recommend you report it and let the mods decide.

Brian
Default User BR

Postby The Wizard » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Default User BR wrote:
sscritic wrote:Take your question to a forum dedicated to consumer issues; this isn't it (at least for now).

I would say that since you are not a moderator, it's not really your call. If you think the post is inappropriate, I would recommend you report it and let the mods decide.
Brian

Cell phones do involve a financial expenditure and the wise boglehead will pick a phone that has suitable functionality for a price that makes sense. So I agree with Brian on this one. This is a lot better than some of those polls about Which Bath Soap do you prefer...
Attempted new signature...
The Wizard

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)