AARP Membership.. is it worth?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
bulldog51

Post by bulldog51 »

I have had AARP Hartford home, auto and umbrella insurance for about eight years with no claims and an attractive rate -- this year I had a major, easily verified claim after a storm and it took almost two months to get the claim resolved -- and it still isn't fully resolved. Most of my neighbors had their claims resolved in a matter of days through other insurance companies.

I will be changing my insurance once this claim is fully resolved and I see no benefit from belonging to AARP anymore. They seem to have become a selling organization in recent years.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Just a guess since I've never bought anything from AARP, but I had the impression that it isn't so much that their co-branded stuff is bad, it's just that it's generic.

There probably isn't an organization out there that doesn't offer an affinity credit card, or a card that gets you exactly the same 10% discount off hotel rates as everybody else's card, or free death-and-dismemberment insurance with every Happy Meal.

I remember some old comedy sketch in which someone is explaining to the FBI that "I only joined the Revolutionary Assassination Movement in order to take advantage of their great charter flight deals."

You join the AARP hoping they are basically good guys, who are on your side and looking out for you. That AARP co-branding is a gold-standard seal of approval. That they would never put their name on something sketchy or "meh." That hope seems to be illusory.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hexdump

Ditto

Post by Hexdump »

BigFoot48 wrote:After 12 years, I did not renew my membership this year, for all the reasons stated in the previous posts, including the deleted ones. :wink:
+1,

I also would be interested in AMAC as an alternative.

hex
KarlJ

Post by KarlJ »

After being a member of AARP for over a decade, I am not renewing the membership this year. Discounts are redundant if one has AAA.
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I will not join because, although they pretend to be lobbying for retired people, they are actually lobbying for the insurance industry. I don't want to give them a penny to do that with.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

I quit a couple of years ago for the same reasons as many others gave.

Everything they offered or said they did just frustrated me.

BTW, I asked for a refund and they sent it so...
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
joyce.alvarez

Post by joyce.alvarez »

banned spammer
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

I don't like the constant stream of mail, so I searched for a way to opt out. When I didn't find such an option on the website, I contacted them. I got a reply within 24 hours stating that they will remove me from such direct ads. Since it requires them to contact their partners, it may take 4-6 weeks.

So, rather than quit, you can simply contact them by phone or email to get this done. Sometimes there is too much angst over a problem that is easily resolved.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

Munir wrote:I wonder how many of the negative remarks about AARP are because of their political views.
I agree with AARP politically. When I hit Medicare age I investigated their medicrap policy and was totally unimpressed. (Fortunately, my employer allows old goats to stay on the co. policy which I did.) I have no use for car insurance or life insurance or anything else they try to sell me. So, I've stopped renewing.

Where's St. Maggie Kuhn when you need her?

Vic
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

LadyGeek wrote:it's interesting what you can find if you look around. For example, the NRA (National Rifle Association) offers discounts not only on insurance and prescription drugs, but also on hearing aids and a wine club (under products & specials). :P
A reason to go teetotal? Hearing impaired drunks with guns? Oh joy!

Vic
callahan00

Post by callahan00 »

Used to like AARP, but it is now a political arm, so I canceled. AAA is better for discounts IMHO....NRA good also...
david99

Post by david99 »

I don't think AARP membership is worth it unless you get a discount at a gym or other place where it pays for itself. Their monthly magazine is good though but not worth the membership.
Nowizard

No:

Post by Nowizard »

I have not been a member for several years, receive the mail others have mentioned. Though I have no issue with their political positions, there has been no practical benefit that I can discern.

Tim
chaz

Post by chaz »

I never saw a need for AARP - I am in AAA.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I have had AARP Hartford home, auto and umbrella insurance for about eight years with no claims and an attractive rate -- this year I had a major, easily verified claim after a storm and it took almost two months to get the claim resolved -- and it still isn't fully resolved. Most of my neighbors had their claims resolved in a matter of days through other insurance companies.
I had a terrible experience with Hartford a few years ago. I have gone into the details elsewhere. They seemed extremely dishonest. The dispute was eventually resolved when I contacted the state insurance commissioner. I would never deal with them again.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
Toons

Post by Toons »

No :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
LonePrairie

Post by LonePrairie »

I expected AARP membership would get me a break on hotel reservations, but usually the hotels have a rate for 'Senior' or 'Over 50' or something similar, not limited to members of AARP.

I'm not going to renew my AARP membership when it expires in a couple of years. Not because of their political position (which seems conservative to me) but because I get nothing from them that I want. There's never an article in the magazine that tells me anything new, so I've started tossing it without reading. (The last issue hit the recycling bin in about 5 seconds. ;-) )
djmbob

AARP Keep On Truckin'

Post by djmbob »

Funny how moderators screen or dont screen posts for so many political comments to be allowed on thsi thread.

You am pretty sure you can go to the AARP website and manage your subscriptions to turn off certain offers.

I don't seem to get any more junque insurance program mail etc than I do from other fine organizations like Reserve Officers Assn, my credit unions and other affinity groups I belong to. Much less than the credit card offers I get from frequent flyer programs!

I have used many AARP discounts (travel, Golds Gym, Restaurant.com, etc) that makes the small annual dues very much worth it.

When I used to get their monthly magazines (which I stopped the hard copy and switched to online only), I used to take them to the doctor's office fro people who have to sit in the lobby. Surprisingly, the Receptionist said people would take them home - good for them - means someone found something worthwhile in there at least.

Cheers,
Ray
deerhunter

Post by deerhunter »

I joined them, got the insurance then "Political comment deleted" dropped membership but still have the insurance.
Living off the land is a family tradition.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

several years back I went for their bonus offer that expires in 2013. they will take your insurance business whether you are a member or not. I have yet to show my card - which I no longer carry - to get an AARP discount. there was a time when it bothered me to not be challenged when asking for a senior discount. then I realized to most youngsters at hotel desks and box offices, we all look pretty old...

no, I will not continue membership
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
BillRogers

AARP Membership

Post by BillRogers »

I use the AARP membership to get a $25 discount on my annual eye examination. Thus the multi-year membership is less than this one discount.

I ignore their political rhetoric which is the same shallow analysis that I can get on any news channel.

Best wishes,
Bill Rogers
soaring

Post by soaring »

They send out insurance advertising weekly to the point that they are more insurance than advocate and a real nuisance.
If you call, maybe several times, they will stop ALL correspondence to your address. I have been a member since 2002 and have NEVER received any mail from AARP or those that sell thru them.

I specifically joined for two reasons...which has worked for me. First without hassle we get 10-15% off hotel rooms. Sometimes the online reservation rates are the same but many times the online rates restrict cancellation but AARP rates do not. Of course that is specific to the chain we frequent.

Second we rented a Penske truck to move across the country and with AARP received either 10 or 15% off...don't remember.

In 2007 when we moved back to FL our 30 yr home owners policy ( State Farm) no longer insured homes in FL. At the time Hartford THRU AARP would insure us here in FL...we are still with them. However local Hartford did not insure.

So we remained with AARP to keep Hartford home owners and auto ins.

Still we receive no mail or phone calls from anyone...ever.

Is it worth it to be a member? It depends on your circumstances and what you might use the card for but for us it works.
Desiderata
bartbill

Post by bartbill »

Well, I changed to Hartford this year specifically for the price. I price insurance yearly. Carried Farmers for years in Colorado and Oklahoma. Dropped Farmers this year after about 20 years. I will recheck next fall and change based on price - I have no loyalty to Farmers or anyone else. I took a screwing from Farmers contractors on the big ice storm in Oklahoma in 1977.

I worried a bit about service of a local agent like Farmers vs Hartford, but after visiting with local agents after I returned to Colorado ,I dont think I will make much difference.

Note that right now I only carry vehicle insurance with Harford. May change my mind once I buy a residence and price some umbrella policies.

Bill
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

Like others, I view AARP as having a political agenda and am not interested in promoting that agenda.
Munir

Post by Munir »

I have AARP Medigap and Medicare Part D which are the least expensive for me, and have been very happy with them. Hartford car and home insurance are not good deals for me. I like their advocacy for seniors.
sailor234

Post by sailor234 »

I joined AARP when I got to 55. Seemed OK, never bought their insurance. But AARP got involved with the politics of the Medicare Drug option and I did not renew. More recently, they have become a marketing company focused on seniors.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. George Bernard Shaw