How to Stop Chase Home Finance from Calling me?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
filmtheory

How to Stop Chase Home Finance from Calling me?

Post by filmtheory »

For a few weeks we are getting daily calls from a number that turns out to be Chase Home Finance, with which we have no accounts or business. They usually hang up when I answer; sometimes ask for a name I can barely understand. I can't get through to customer service because you need an account number to get past the automated menu. AT&T's only solution was to sell me a call blocker for a monthly fee. Has anyone had a similar problem and can it be solved?
UrbanMedic

Re: How to Stop Chase Home Finance from Calling me?

Post by UrbanMedic »

filmtheory wrote:For a few weeks we are getting daily calls from a number that turns out to be Chase Home Finance, with which we have no accounts or business. They usually hang up when I answer; sometimes ask for a name I can barely understand. I can't get through to customer service because you need an account number to get past the automated menu. AT&T's only solution was to sell me a call blocker for a monthly fee. Has anyone had a similar problem and can it be solved?
Yes, you call the police to report a nuisance call, which this is. Then if you get a person from Chase you tell them that you never ever want to be called again and that they should remove you from their lists. If they continue to call, it is against the law in most states. So you again call the police as you are hopefully keeping a log of this. If it continues, there may be some civil recourse possible, but that will take an attorney.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

UrbanMedic wrote: Yes, you call the police to report a nuisance call, which this is.
It sounds like a wrong number to me. Someone owes Chase money and gave them the OP's phone number. Maybe he should find the person who gave Chase his number and sue them or have him arrested. [joking people; chill a little]

Someone used a variation of an email address I have at gmail to open an account at verizon. Gmail as a service corrects the variation and sends the email from verizon addressed to him to me. Whom do I sue, Verizon or the person using a variation of my email address or google for providing a "helpful" service?
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

UrbanMedic wrote:
filmtheory wrote:For a few weeks we are getting daily calls from a number that turns out to be Chase Home Finance, with which we have no accounts or business. They usually hang up when I answer; sometimes ask for a name I can barely understand. I can't get through to customer service because you need an account number to get past the automated menu. AT&T's only solution was to sell me a call blocker for a monthly fee. Has anyone had a similar problem and can it be solved?
Yes, you call the police to report a nuisance call, which this is. Then if you get a person from Chase you tell them that you never ever want to be called again and that they should remove you from their lists. If they continue to call, it is against the law in most states. So you again call the police as you are hopefully keeping a log of this. If it continues, there may be some civil recourse possible, but that will take an attorney.
Easy - tell them the person has moved, their new number is...and give them the telephone number of Chase Investor Relations, let them handle it. :lol:
mikep

Post by mikep »

Tell them they will be fined $11,000 for each call and then report them to www.donotcall.gov, assuming your number is on the list.
azap

how to get a human operator

Post by azap »

Gethuman.com gives instructions which may let you talk to a human being. The instructions vary with the number which is calling you.
LynnC

Post by LynnC »

Have you tried on line? http://mortgage.chase.com/pages/shared/gateway.jsp

I found "contact us" and speak to a loan officer now" along with "customer service". I would tell them (whoever you reach) to take your number off their list or you will report them. Take it to a higher power at Chase if you have to.

I had that happen to me from a Toyota dealership years ago. I finally told them I was going to contact their corporate office and report them for harrassment. The calls stopped.

LynnC
Topic Author
filmtheory

Post by filmtheory »

Thanks for responses - These are not solicitations but apparently they are trying to reach a specific person but they are calling the wrong number. They have called since I posted this topic today. Wife asked to speak with the caller's supervisor. Answer: "No, Ma'am." (!!!) I called the Chase privacy dept and even they were not even able to contact the mortgage dept. (??) I'll look into some of these suggestions but this doesn't look good!
LynnC

Post by LynnC »

While you're working on this, use ATT's caller ID and screen them. Just quit answering their calls. Now that we have U-verse, the caller even appears on my TV screen if I have it on, plus I can block anyone I like. Very cool.

LynnC
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Here is a way to deal with a telemarketer (or equivalent):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmLMcQ09BHc
pjstack

Post by pjstack »

Buy an answering machine for about $20, let the machine answer all your calls, only pick up when you recognize the caller or if they leave a message.

Then, relax and get on with your life!
pjstack
Judsen

Post by Judsen »

If you have the call forwarding feature forward your calls to Chase for a while. The loop will get their attention.
Be the change you want to see in the world
madsinger

Post by madsinger »

Capital One was calling our house 2 or 3 times a day about some "delinquent credit card payment". (I've never had a Capital One account). When I would tell them they had the wrong number, they would just hang up and try again. I finally went to my police department. They called them when I was standing there, asked them why they kept calling me, and asked them to stop.

It worked.

(I imagine when their Caller ID popped up with [town] Police Department, it made them take notice).

I still feel that this was a waste of my police department's time, since the police didn't say anything different than I did.

-Brad.
FCM

Post by FCM »

Caller ID is a wonderful service! If I see a telephone number I don't recognize or it is designated "Name Unknown," I just don't answer the telephone.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

I stopped answering the phone when I was 16 and had a job where others would call in "sick" on the weekend resulting in me getting a call to pleeeease come in to cover.

A cheap answering machine took care of the problem.

Flash forward 25 years - I still don't answer the phone unless I recognize the caller's number and want to talk to that person. Caller ID and voice mail make life very simple and enjoyable. The ex-wife always goes straight to voice mail.

As a general rule - people don't call to do something nice FOR you; they want something FROM you.

Call them back if you choose to on your own terms. :D
UrbanMedic

Post by UrbanMedic »

sscritic wrote:
UrbanMedic wrote: Yes, you call the police to report a nuisance call, which this is.
It sounds like a wrong number to me. Someone owes Chase money and gave them the OP's phone number. Maybe he should find the person who gave Chase his number and sue them or have him arrested. [joking people; chill a little]

Whom do I sue, Verizon or the person using a variation of my email address or google for providing a "helpful" service?
It's not very funny when these people call at all hours of the day. Unless you have been the subject of debt collectors who refuse to stop calling despite your insistence they are wasting their time by calling the wrong number, like I have been, you have no idea. So, it's not a joke, and there's nothing to "chill" about. If you're going to kick a pig, you have to get a little dirty.
Topic Author
filmtheory

Post by filmtheory »

UrbanMedic wrote: It's not very funny when these people call at all hours of the day. Unless you have been the subject of debt collectors who refuse to stop calling despite your insistence they are wasting their time by calling the wrong number, like I have been, you have no idea. So, it's not a joke, and there's nothing to "chill" about.
Yes, thank you - Not many people call our house because they know about our children - toddler awakened by the phone, mom of newborn awakened when taking a nap after being up all night. Turning off ringer isn't something I should have to do because of a rogue corporation - I need to get these harassing calls stopped.
neverknow

Post by neverknow »

Last edited by neverknow on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Here is a link to the Clark Howard drop dead letter to send to credit collection agencies.

http://clarkhoward.com/liveweb/shownote ... 3/358/399/

The next time they call ask for a reference number regarding their call then send this letter by certified mail.

Google “Fair Debt Collection Practices Act” to find out your rights regarding this.

Even mentioning the “Fair Debt Collection Practices Act” on the phone and instructing them to not call you might be enough to get them to stop calling, but sent the letter anyway.

By law they must identify themselves and give you their address.

Greg
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Watty wrote: Google “Fair Debt Collection Practices Act” to find out your rights regarding this.
I know people are trying to be helpful, but getting the facts correct might help even more.

The OP is getting wrong number calls from Chase Home Finance, which I think is the original issuer of credit. The "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act" applies to third-party debt collectors and is, as far as I can tell, totally irrelevant to the actual case (if Chase Home Finance is indeed the originator of the unpaid credit).
the FDCPA generally only applies to third party debt collectors--not internal collectors for an "original creditor"
I would also think that laws related to tele-marketing would also be irrelevant, since he is not receiving tele-marketing calls. Even laws on first party debt-collection may not be relevant since he is not the debtor. Laws on wrong numbers would be relevant.

Can anyone answer these questions:
Is there a law against persistent wrong number calls from any party?
Does the law on first-party debt collection calls apply to wrong numbers or only to calls made to the actual debtor?
spefactor

Post by spefactor »

Yes, there is a law that states that you cannot call someone after they have instructed you not to call them. It's called the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991.

There's a PDF on the Internet which I can't link to because I'm new. Google "How to sue telemarketers". It describes the federal regulations and how to sue people in court and win. Easy money if you have the time.

However, in the OP's case, it sounds kind of strange... maybe the caller is not Chase Home Finance? Anyway, if you do believe it is them (and not someone claiming to be them), you may want to give a shot at suing them.

Edit: Maybe this actually doesn't apply as it's not a "solicitation". I guess other options include your local police department or FCC complaint.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

spefactor wrote:Yes, there is a law that states that you cannot call someone after they have instructed you not to call them. It's called the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991.

Edit: Maybe this actually doesn't apply as it's not a "solicitation". I guess other options include your local police department or FCC complaint.
From wikipedia:
The TCPA is the primary law in the United States governing the conduct of telephone solicitations, i.e., telemarketing. The TCPA restricts the use of automatic dialing systems, artificial or prerecorded voice messages, SMS text messages received by cell phones, and the use of fax machines to send unsolicited advertisements. It also specifies several technical requirements for fax machines, autodialers, and voice messaging systems -- principally with provisions requiring identification and contact information of the entity using the device to be contained in the message.
That reads like restrictions on telemarketers, not on "original creditors."
Buster

Post by Buster »

dm200 wrote:Here is a way to deal with a telemarketer (or equivalent):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmLMcQ09BHc
That made my day!!!!!
SamGamgee

Post by SamGamgee »

Atilla wrote:I stopped answering the phone when I was 16 and had a job where others would call in "sick" on the weekend resulting in me getting a call to pleeeease come in to cover.

A cheap answering machine took care of the problem.

Flash forward 25 years - I still don't answer the phone unless I recognize the caller's number and want to talk to that person. Caller ID and voice mail make life very simple and enjoyable. The ex-wife always goes straight to voice mail.

As a general rule - people don't call to do something nice FOR you; they want something FROM you.

Call them back if you choose to on your own terms. :D
This is the only way to live!
Buster

Post by Buster »

SamGamgee wrote:
Atilla wrote:I stopped answering the phone when I was 16 and had a job where others would call in "sick" on the weekend resulting in me getting a call to pleeeease come in to cover.

:D
This is the only way to live!
Ahhh yes, brings back old memories, say....1970 and Steak 'N Ale restaurant in Austin, Texas.

Not about the OP but learned one other thing: If the person wanting off offers an extra $5 to work for him/her, get the cash first, otherwise you may get a F-Y. Happened to me.