Recommendations for Online Savings Bank

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
newkidontheblock

Recommendations for Online Savings Bank

Post by newkidontheblock »

Hi:

I have been a customer of ING for a long time. I want to open one more account at an online savings back that offers good savings rate, reliable and secure web site.

Thanks
rokid

Post by rokid »

I've been satisfied with Emigrant Direct. Their rate is 1.1%.-----Jim
merr14

Post by merr14 »

I have an ING account as well but leave just a few dollars there to keep the account open. The bank where I have my checking, and a money market, is everbank.com They currently pay 2.25% for 3 months on new MM customers and 1.51% thereafter. The checking pays 1.46%. Have been with them for years and no compalaints.
modal

Post by modal »

I use Allybank.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Just switched to Ally because they offered a 5-year CD at 3.15% APY which I'm using for my car fund. I moved my other cash in there too since I like the simplicity of having all my savings at one bank.
MWCA

Post by MWCA »

Im using Ally. It works and no problems. If someone offered me enough to move I would.
Otherwise Im using it.
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.
knowmad

Re: Recommendations for Online Savings Bank

Post by knowmad »

Ally Bank. I like that when you renew a CD you get a rate bump for being a loyal customer. I also have online savings at 1.3%.
LifeIsGood

Alliant Credit Union

Post by LifeIsGood »

I'm using Alliant Credit Union and have been getting 2% on savings.
JustDucky

Post by JustDucky »

I've been happy with FNBO DIRECT. Competitive rate, free ATM card for withdrawals, good website experience, 24 hr non-outsourced service folks.
CMMCC

Post by CMMCC »

capital one.
Just getting started
ndchamp

Post by ndchamp »

Discover Bank.
1.59% on my online Premium Savings Account.
tomander

EverBank

Post by tomander »

I have been using Everbank for about 3 years and have been very satisfied with their service. But I beleive their current MM rate is 1.25%.
Tyrobi

Post by Tyrobi »

I also have been using Ally bank. Although I use the local high-yield account as my main saving, I still maintain Ally as my online saving account mainly to ACH push/pull money from one account to the other.
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle
smathew005

Post by smathew005 »

I've been using Everbank for 2 years now and have been happy with their rates and service.
jharri71

Post by jharri71 »

Instead of putting money in these on-line banks, I am increasing my mortgage payment every month. I did open an Alliant Credit union account to at least get 2%, but only for any new money i decide to go into emergency savings.
avalpert

Post by avalpert »

I use ING and Presidential Bank - which while online is also a physical bank that happens to be in DC where I live.

The rates between the two toggle as to which is better - both are convenient and easy to use. Presidential's ATM card has no fees and no charge for international use (which matters to me).
GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint »

I use Ally and am happy with it.
sommerfeld

Post by sommerfeld »

Just switched from Capital One to Alliant Credit Union for online savings.
davegod75

Re: Alliant Credit Union

Post by davegod75 »

LifeIsGood wrote:I'm using Alliant Credit Union and have been getting 2% on savings.
Topic Author
newkidontheblock

Thanks

I did check out Alliant Credit Union and I did not qualify to become their member.

I checked out Everbank and Ally. Everbank does have higher rate but I went to Ally Bank. I found other friends who were already using Ally bank and seeming happy with it.

Many thanks for your feedback.
Penguin

Re: Thanks

Post by Penguin »

newkidontheblock wrote:I did check out Alliant Credit Union and I did not qualify to become their member.

I checked out Everbank and Ally. Everbank does have higher rate but I went to Ally Bank. I found other friends who were already using Ally bank and seeming happy with it.

Usually you can qualify if you are willing to join any PTA in any school or state. You don't have to have a child in school.
Jon
cubedbee

Post by cubedbee »

Penguin wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote:I did check out Alliant Credit Union and I did not qualify to become their member.

Usually you can qualify if you are willing to join any PTA in any school or state. You don't have to have a child in school.
Or alternatively, join the Orphan Foundation of America by making a $10 donation. They're a very highly rated charity on Charity Navigator, and a much more worthy organization to give money to, IMO.

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/membe ... ility/ofa/
Birdie Num Nums

Post by Birdie Num Nums »

One benefit of an Everbank account is that you can get foreign currency CDs. In fact, I have accounts at both Ally and Everbank.
Topic Author
newkidontheblock

Alliant Credit Union

Ally bank's frequency of compounding is daily
Can anyone tell me the frequency of compounding in Alliant Credit Union?
Can you also explain how frequency of compounding makes a difference?

If Alliant bank is paying much higher interest I will probably cancel the account I just opened at Ally bank and open an ccount in Alliant Credit Union.

Thanks
indexer

Post by indexer »

I just opened an account at Alliant Credit Union this morning. The current rates are 2% for Savings and 1.75% for high interest checking.
The only requisite to open an account was a $5 donation to the Orphan foundation of America.
Let's see how long the rates stay...
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

http://www.bankrate.com/

Look under the "Checking & Savings" tab.
Topic Author
newkidontheblock

Quicken and Alliant Credit Union

Has anyone been able to download transactions from Alliant bank into quicken via One step update.
RabbMD

Post by RabbMD »

I download both my Alliant savings and hsa daily into quicken using on step update. They are changing their online system sometime this year, so hopefully that will continue. The only thing I can not get quicken to download daily is my 401k through employee fiduciary, and that too awesome to pass up schwab 2% back, no foreign fees visa. The visa Incan only get monthly.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

I was using Everbank, but they kept dropping their rates (now around 1.25%). I have had an online RedNeck Bank Mega account, that pays 2% on balances up to 35K.