Structural Engineering Fees -- negotiable?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
leftcoaster

Structural Engineering Fees -- negotiable?

Post by leftcoaster »

We are working with an architectural firm on a major residential remodel and need to engage a structural engineer. We've gotten two bids with about $1K difference between them. The bids are to prepare "at least" 4 24x36 sheets of structural drawings to submit for a building permit.

Has anyone on the board had experience negotiating with these engineering firms on price? Any advice you can share would be appreciated.
surveyor

Post by surveyor »

My firm tilts more to the transportation and site design of the civil engineering spectrum. We typically won't negotiate a fee once it is presented to the client.

Look at it this way...You asked them to give you their best price in a competitive manner and evidently they did. Has something changed with your project scope?

If you have cost concerns, a direct conversation with the engineer (leave the architect out - they have a way of complicating the uncomplicated) to see if the scope can be narrowed. If your goal is adequate information to acquire a building permit and construct the project, make sure that is all that is being provided. Four sheets seems like a lot of information for a residential remodel, but I'm not aware of the extent of your project or local guidelines. Cantilevering a two story garage off the side of a hill is a lot different than spec'ing LVL's and footers.
tat2ng

Post by tat2ng »

I'm a structural engineer, but we don't get into residential. I agree, though, that (4) 24x36 sheets seems like alot for a residential job.

My father built houses for 25 years, and he always told me that the lumber yard is typically able to size almost ALL of the framing members necessary for most houses. If he was over the square footage requirements that made a PE stamp necessary, it was almost always a flat fee of about $500, and was basically a cursory review of the drawings, and maybe sizing a steel beam for the basement, or a steel post and spread footing. This is Michigan, though, and your state requirements could be vastly different.

Again that is for typical framing - if you have strange conditions, as surveyor hinted at, then I could see the need for more fee and more drawings.

tat2ng
Topic Author
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

tat2ng wrote:Again that is for typical framing - if you have strange conditions, as surveyor hinted at, then I could see the need for more fee and more drawings.

tat2ng
At the risk of pushing my luck, here's what we're doing (not sure if it counts as strange):

raise and rotate existing home
construct new foundation and floor below
construct addition in the rear.
surveyor

Post by surveyor »

I wouldn't call it strange, but unusual comes to mind. Unusual=$$$.

I can't offer too much on the cost since its an issue of local requirements, but if you're uncomfortable you might ask the architect to get a few more bids. They should already have a scope developed since they've previously requested quotes.

Good luck and read the contracts and subcontracts...We tend to do everything possible to try to limit our liability.
Allan

Post by Allan »

All of my homes are engineered and I typically pay $4k-$6k per house. As to fees being negotiable, certainly these days any and everything can probably be negotiated but if your job is a one shot deal as oppossed to repeat business, maybe not.

Allan
danderson

Post by danderson »

Who among you here has an experienced about engineering services? If someone is interested please PM me.
[banned sig spammer]