Retirement Research Conference in DC in August (free)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
bobcat2

Retirement Research Conference in DC in August (free)

Post by bobcat2 »

The 2015 Retirement Research Consortium Meeting will be held this coming Thursday & Friday on August 6-7, 2015 at the National Press Club in Washington, DC. The event is free of charge, but registration is required.

The luncheon speaker (lunch is provided free) on Thursday will be Jason Furman, Chairman of the President’s Council of Economic Advisors. On Friday the luncheon speaker will be Joseph F. Coughlin, the Director of the MIT AgeLab. The AgeLab research examines how the disruptive demographics of an aging society, social trends and technology will shape future innovations in business and government.

Here is a link to the agenda - https://www.nber.org/programs/ag/rrc/Agenda2015.pdf

Registration is free, but they prefer you register online at the following link. It's also possible that if you simply show up at the door Thursday or Friday there will be no space. That is possible, but past experience indicates it is unlikely. However, Furman's talk will undoubtedly bring out more members of the press, making Thursday a possible full registration day.
Registration link - http://conference.nber.org/confer/reply/rrc15.html

In addition to the luncheon talks by Furman & Coughlin here are some of the topics that interest me at this year's meeting.

What Determines End-of-Life Assets?
James Poterba (MIT)

Do Tax Incentives Increase 401(k) Retirement Saving?
Matthew Rutledge (Boston College) & April Wu (Mathematica Policy Research)

The Effect of the Affordable Care Act on the Labor Supply, Savings, and Social Security of Older Americans
Eric French (University College of London)

Mortality-Income Gradients in the United States:
Raj Chetty (Harvard University)
This is the results of a study looking at the relationship between mortality and income in the US. Chetty is a top researcher on this topic. Chetty is an excellent presenter and, while only about 40 years old, is considered a favorite to win the Nobel Prize in Economics sometime down the road.

The Great Recession, the Social Safety Net, and Economic Security for 50+ Americans
Richard Johnson and Karen Smith (The Urban Institute)

How Would Social Security Changes Affect Medicare Costs and Seniors’ Out-of-Pocket Spending?
Melissa Favreault (Urban Institute)

The Effect of Health Reform on Retirement
Helen Levy (University of Michigan)

Do Households Increase Their Savings When the Kids Leave Home?
Irena Dushi (Social Security Administration) & Alicia Munnell, Geoffrey Sanzenbacher, and Anthony Webb (Boston College)
According to the life-cycle hypothesis of optimal household saving behavior they should, but do they? :)

Who is Easier to Nudge?
John Beshears (Harvard), James Choi (Yale), and David Laibson & Brigitte Madrian (Harvard), and Sean Wang (NBER)
Leading behavioral economists weigh in with a study on who is nudgeable. This presentation should be right up Victoria's alley. :D

For Bogleheads not in the Washington DC area this year's conference will be streamed live, here are the links to register for streaming the conference.

Link for streaming Thursday session - https://www.webcaster4.com/Webcast/Page/219/9756
Link for streaming Friday session - https://www.webcaster4.com/Webcast/Page/219/9757

In recent years there have usually been several DC Bogleheads at the conference. If you plan on going let people know on this thread and we can try to sit together.

BobK

PS - A few of the nation's leading financial planners will be attending this year's conference. This is an excellent venue to ask them a question or two about financial planning in general, or particular questions you have about your own financial plans.
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
Taylor Larimore

Re: Retirement Research Conference in DC in August (free)

Post by Taylor Larimore »

BobK:

I am impressed with the quality of the academic speakers. Should be well worth watching.

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Thank you, Bob,

I would have liked to attend, but I am flying out to Germany on the 6th. The Retirement Research Conference usually conflicts with my annual European event, but this year I could have left two days later if I knew the RRC dates. Do you know how far in advance the RRC announces its dates?

Enjoy the conference. Perhaps you can review it at out September meeting?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
SGM

Post by SGM »

Thanks Bob,

I have always enjoyed and learned a few things at these Retirement Research conferences and will attend August 6. Does The VictoriaF Fan Club count as an affiliation for registration purposes?
Topic Author
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Background information on the Retirement Research Consortium (RRC) 17th Annual Meeting to be held on Thursday & Friday (Aug 6-7) of this week. To the best of my knowledge, the RRC Annual Meetings are always held either on the first or second Thursday and Friday of August at the National Press Club in Washington, DC.
The Retirement Research Consortium (RRC) consists of three multidisciplinary centers housed in three separate institutions (Boston College, the University of Michigan, and the National Bureau of Economic Research [NBER]) and is funded through cooperative agreements with the Social Security Administration. The current five-year cooperative agreements run from FY2014 through FY2018.

The RRC has three main goals:

Research and evaluate a wide array of topics related to Social Security and retirement policy.
Disseminate information on Social Security and retirement issues relevant to policymakers, researchers, and the general public.
Train scholars and practitioners in research areas relevant to Social Security and retirement issues.

- Read more about he RRC's evolution and research contributions in a series of articles in the Social Security Bulletin.

To meet these goals, the centers perform many activities. They conduct research, prepare policy briefs and working papers, hold an annual meeting, and provide research and training support for young scholars.
The above quote is taken from the RRC web page at the Social Security website.
Link to RRC page - http://www.ssa.gov/policy/rrc/

The three multidisciplinary centers, the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College, the University of Michigan Retirement Research Center, and the NBER Retirement Research Center, take turns hosting the annual meeting. This year's annual meeting is hosted by NBER.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
Topic Author
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

SGM wrote:Thanks Bob,

I have always enjoyed and learned a few things at these Retirement Research conferences and will attend August 6.
Does The VictoriaF Fan Club count as an affiliation for registration purposes?

Indubitably it counts. :wink:

BobK
Topic Author
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

VictoriaF wrote:Thank you, Bob,

I would have liked to attend, but I am flying out to Germany on the 6th. ...

Enjoy the conference. Perhaps you can review it at out September meeting?

Victoria
Sam & I can present brief reviews. Paula Hogan will be attending the conference. She usually reviews the conference highlights on her website.

Enjoy Deutschland!

Bob
Topic Author
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Final heads up. Conference starts tomorrow, and online preregistration is now closed. However, particularly for those living in the Washington-Baltimore Metro area you can register in-person at the door on either Thursday or Friday. Both the conference and the lunches are free, you simply have to register at the conference.

BobK