CFA Exam Results

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
rmelvey

CFA Exam Results

Post by rmelvey »

CFA exam results came out yesterday. Did anyone on this forum participate? I just passed level 2 and am excited to take level 3!

I think the program material is wonderful and it is a nice alternative to a very expensive MBA. The books are quite well written and generally support the the Boglehead's philosophy. The greatest irony is that the more I learn the more I love the elegance of the 3 fund portfolio. Sometimes simplicity is the highest form of sophistication.
livesoft

Re: CFA Exam Results

Post by livesoft »

A big Congrats! for accomplishing this. Good luck on the next exam, too.

And no, I do not do exams anymore. I only give them. :twisted:
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
swaption

Post by swaption »

Nicely done, and agree 100% with your comments. Having completed a high level MBA program and worked in banking for more than a decade, I was really impressed with the comprehensive nature of the curriculum. For what it's worth, I thought Level III was by far the hardest.
Taylor Larimore

"Sometimes simplicity is the highest form of sophistication"

Post by Taylor Larimore »

rmelvey wrote:CFA exam results came out yesterday. Did anyone on this forum participate? I just passed level 2 and am excited to take level 3!

I think the program material is wonderful and it is a nice alternative to a very expensive MBA. The books are quite well written and generally support the the Boglehead's philosophy.
rmelvey:

Congratulations. It is my understanding that CFA designation is the most difficult of all adviser designations.
The more I learn the more I love the elegance of the 3 fund portfolio. Sometimes simplicity is the highest form of sophistication.
I could not have said it better, myself.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
cfs

Post by cfs »

Sometimes simplicity is the highest form of sophistication.
Awesome, shipmate rmelvey you should send this to Vanguard to be used in their Index Funds ads.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

I always feel like I'm in the Navy in any thread where cfs comments. Bulkheads, decks, the head and all.

At any rate, congratulations. The low pass rate makes this a test to be proud of passing.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
NOVACPA

Post by NOVACPA »

Congrats!

Having been licensed as a CPA lat last year, I will be begin my Level I class for the CFA tonight.

If you see my friends and family... Tell them I'm still alive and not buried under these books.
music_man

Post by music_man »

Congrats, rmelvey!

I was actually inspired by another post here from exactly a year ago. I sat for Level 1 back in 2009, failed, and never tried again. Someone else here posted a year ago about their CFA result, and that got me thinking about attempting again. Am happy to report I sat for Level 1 this past June and just found out I passed as well.
Beliavsky

Post by Beliavsky »

rmelvey wrote:CFA exam results came out yesterday. Did anyone on this forum participate? I just passed level 2 and am excited to take level 3!

I think the program material is wonderful and it is a nice alternative to a very expensive MBA. The books are quite well written and generally support the the Boglehead's philosophy. The greatest irony is that the more I learn the more I love the elegance of the 3 fund portfolio. Sometimes simplicity is the highest form of sophistication.
Congratulations!

I passed the CFA exams some time ago. The CFA curriculum is for professional investors and covers many topics that people who do not invest in individual stocks do not need, for example the details of financial accounting, including the different ways to account for mergers, or how to use interest rate swaps to change the duration of a bond portfolio. For individual investors, maybe the curriculum for the Chartered Financial Planner designation is more relevant and approachable.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (financial planner).

Congrats!

The wiki has some background info: Financial planner

We've recently added a background checks section for planners holding CFA charterholder and / or CFP® certifications.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Congrats! Its quite an accomplishment.

I had started out working on level 1, but my career took a turn away from finance so I never sat for the tests. That said, the material was definitely a challenge and I've heard from some people that Level 2 is hardest so you've past the stumbling block
saver007

Post by saver007 »

Congrats!

I am waiting for Level 3 result..2 more weeks to go... not very optimistic about it. IMHO L3 is harder because of morning exam format (essays).
grok87

Post by grok87 »

congratulations and good luck on level 3.
RIP Mr. Bogle.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

saver007 wrote:Congrats!

I am waiting for Level 3 result..2 more weeks to go... not very optimistic about it. IMHO L3 is harder because of morning exam format (essays).
good luck!
RIP Mr. Bogle.
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

rmelvey wrote:I just passed level 2 and am excited to take level 3!
Nice:

Wife failed level 2:
She'd lost her job and thought she'd have time to study.
Quickly found a new job and is working 14 hour days (again).

I personally wish she'd just have taken a break so she'd have more energy for quality human time with her most loved one (which presumably is me but sometimes I have doubts .... that she loves her child more hahaha). Well, maybe that's what friends are for....
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Hi rmelvey,

Congrats on passing level 2 of the exam. I understand it is a challenge!

With the Three Fund Portfolio, you are on a wise path to financial freedom.

Stay the course and keep investing simple!

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Grateful1

Post by Grateful1 »

CONGRATULATIONS on passing part 2 of the Chartered Financial Analyst exam.

I can understand as yesterday my son too was notified that he had passed part 2 of the CFA exam. Happy and a huge relief.

These series of 3 tests are a high bar and those who get through all successfully have demonstrated knowledge of a very wide range of financial information.

Good for you on passing part 2.

Now onto studying for part 3. I'd say best of luck, but more importantly ... prepare well. Sign up for part 3 in a few weeks, get the study materials and get back to work. "Prior Preparation Prevents Poor Performance."

Let us know how part 3 turns out for you next June. And, yes, best of luck too. :happy
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Congrats!
Last edited by Caduceus on Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

Beliavsky wrote:...The CFA curriculum is for professional investors and covers many topics that people who do not invest in individual stocks do not need, for example the details of financial accounting, including the different ways to account for mergers, or how to use interest rate swaps to change the duration of a bond portfolio. For individual investors, maybe the curriculum for the Chartered Financial Planner designation is more relevant and approachable.
It's easy to get the credentials confused, but I think your term Chartered Financial Planner is conflating at least two professional designations: CFP, which is the Certified Financial Planner, and the ChFC, which is the insurance oriented Chartered Financial Consultant credential. I'd definitely agree that for most the CFP designation is adequate and perhaps even preferable in many cases when it comes to general financial planning, with the CFA being much more technically and analytically oriented, as you point out.

Congrat's to the successful CFA candidates.
patrick013

Post by patrick013 »

Beliavsky wrote:The CFA curriculum is for professional investors...
Well the CFA certainly is the "hardest" if that's the right word, going
into many technical areas not often used except by banks, large
funds, and for-profit traders and investors.

CFP seems more basic for everyday investing. Their famous pie-charts
for asset allocation, not as much economic or technical response as the
CFP, very little if any derivatives, and even includes trusts for the CFP.

I see where the CFM is no longer tested. More managerial finance for that
one. A corporate holding company ?

My bank brokerage is run by a Series 7 and Series 10 holder. No certifications
claimed. Have their share of funds to sell, as usual, no doubt. And the
usual bank trust services.

So get your feathers, pass another CFA part. There's a full moon and the
tide's rising.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle