Geico Auto Insurance

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
JonnyDVM

Re: Geico Auto Insurance

Post by JonnyDVM »

Funny you should post this. I just started shopping around for auto insurance as well when Progressive raised our rates yet again. Geico quote was literally half of what we are currently paying ($665 for six months instead of$1280). When I told the Geico rep I had to shop around some more before I pulled the trigger she became somewhat angry. It was a bit of a turn off. Made me wonder how a claims rep would act if I ever needed them. The Geico umbrella was almost exactly the same cost. Now I'm currently in a back and fourth with State Farm as their auto is about $600 more than Geico annually. Umbrella is about $300 less and the home owners quote was substantially less annually ($900) but with 100k less dwelling coverage. The State Farm quote is from a local agency and I will say they are much more personable. I'm finding it hard to compare apples to apples especially since I have no idea how much homeowners I really need.
Last edited by JonnyDVM on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

GEICO is awesome. I had two car accidents and one broken window. The first car accident happened when the car was parked in the street, so I had no one to go after. GEICO walked me through everything. Got my $1,000 deductible in record time. The second one was no fault a guy cut in front of me, again outstanding service, both body shops were GEICO approved and they treated me like royalty. The glass shop was also first class and the work was great. I really can't say enough good things about GEICO.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

stemikger wrote:GEICO is awesome. I had two car accidents and one broken window. The first car accident happened when the car was parked in the street, so I had no one to go after. GEICO walked me through everything. Got my $1,000 deductible in record time. The second one was no fault a guy cut in front of me, again outstanding service, both body shops were GEICO approved and they treated me like royalty. The glass shop was also first class and the work was great. I really can't say enough good things about GEICO.
Did you save 15% on your auto insurance in 15 minutes?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe »

JonnyDVM wrote:Funny you should post this. I just started shopping around for auto insurance as well when Progressive raised our rates yet again. Geico quote was literally half of what we are currently paying ($665 for six months instead of$1280). When I told the Geico rep I had to shop around some more before I pulled the trigger she became somewhat angry. It was a bit of a turn off. Made me wonder how a claims rep would act if I event needed them. The Geico umbrella was almost exactly the same cost. Now I'm currently in a back and fourth with State Farm getting as their auto is about $600 more than Geico annually. Umbrella is about $300 less and the home owners quote was substantially less annually ($900) but with 100k less dwelling coverage. The State Farm quote is from a local agency and I will say they are much more personable. I'm finding it hard to compare apples to apples especially since I have no idea how much homeowners I really need.
I am starting to think that all of these insurance agencies are garbage. I would be more than annoyed if my premiums increased for no reason at all. I have not seen that with American Family, probably because my premiums are already super high. Ha ha. I kind of wish that I never opened this can of worms. On one hand, I feel sickened that I have been paying so much for auto insurance for so long (I actually used to have three vehicles insured instead of 2). On the other hand, I feel like I have heard of so many negative experiences with other agencies (rate increases for no reason, trouble with claims, etc.) that I have no idea who to go with.
Last edited by Lindrobe on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet »

We recently switched from Metlife which cost $800 for one car to GEICO which is $900 for two cars. Amazing.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Had my car for 7 years....have been in 8 accidents...none of which were my fault fortunately. I had/have geico throughout each accident...never had any issues getting my car repaired.

And yes..my car is cursed.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Amica halved our premiums when we were with GEICO for auto.
I was previously very satisfied with GEICO claims handling, including two not at fault accidents and an uninsured motorist damage claim. But I can't ignore 50% savings.
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

To date, we've been with GEICO for 42 years. We have had none of the negative experiences some have shared in this thread. We pay $628 annually for our policy. Covers one car, which is new. But, that is so high ONLY because in retirement we moved to a southern state well known for high car insurance premiums. Back north the GEICO annual premium was considerably less.
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
frisbee

Post by frisbee »

The light-bulb went on for me when I realized the insurance companies were raising my rate *every* year, even though my car had depreciated from New-->Old. I'm concluded if you haven't shopped for insurance in the last 3 years, you are paying to much, no matter who you current use.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

FabLab wrote:To date, we've been with GEICO for 42 years. We have had none of the negative experiences some have shared in this thread. We pay $628 annually for our policy. Covers one car, which is new. But, that is so high ONLY because in retirement we moved to a southern state well known for high car insurance premiums. Back north the GEICO annual premium was considerably less.
That is still a good deal on a new car.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
furwut

Post by furwut »

Lindrobe wrote: I am starting to think that all of these insurance agencies are garbage. I would be more than annoyed if my premiums increased for no reason at all. ... On one hand, I feel sickened that I have been paying so much for auto insurance for so long ...
Companies do make errors in their underwriting models that can lead them to raise rates. I recommend consumers re-quote their auto every year or 2 at the most. Its really a regulated commodity product so there is little reason not to go with the lowest quote.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

abuss368 wrote:
stemikger wrote:GEICO is awesome. I had two car accidents and one broken window. The first car accident happened when the car was parked in the street, so I had no one to go after. GEICO walked me through everything. Got my $1,000 deductible in record time. The second one was no fault a guy cut in front of me, again outstanding service, both body shops were GEICO approved and they treated me like royalty. The glass shop was also first class and the work was great. I really can't say enough good things about GEICO.
Did you save 15% on your auto insurance in 15 minutes?
I don't remember Tony, I have been with GEICO for so long. I do remember leaving State Farm because they were HORRIBLE. Back then State Farm had the worst customer service I ever encountered and they were a lot more money. I do believe I saved quite a bit making that move and dealing with GEICO is a pleasure all the way around.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

GEICO has one goal; to repair your car to "un-crashed" condition, that's it. They will do it as quickly and cheaply as humanly possible. Many top tier body shops in my area refuse to take a GEICO claim because they just won't to pay for a proper repair. Repair time is cut, paint work time is cut, only the cheapest aftermarket Chinese knock-off parts are used. GEICO keeps their customer satisfaction high because they do respond and pay quickly, they just don't pay the shop enough to do it right. Body shops don't repair cars, insurance companies do. GEICO is the worst I've seen in 30 years in this business.
What the bold print givith, the fine print taketh away. | -meowcat
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

I have gotten estimates from Geico several times in the last 10 or12 years and their premiums have always been much higher than most of my other quotes.Costco has a good program as does AARP.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.