I tipped 15% and got a dirty look

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
SailorJerry

I tipped 15% and got a dirty look

Post by SailorJerry »

I ate out with my family tonight at one of our local pizza joints. The meal was fine and the service was pretty standard. The bill was $66 and I tipped $10 - which I thought was a nice/standard 15% tip. On my way out of the restaurant, I ran to the bathroom and on the way out, I passed the waitress and she gave me a really bad vibe and look like I had shorted her a tip and she was angry about it. Prior to paying the bill, she was friendly and there were no issues.

Is a 15% tip now considered a bad tip? Has the standard changed to 20 or 25% and am behind the times? Please advise so I can change my tipping behavior or just decide not to go out to eat anymore.
William4u

Re: I tipped 15% and got a dirty look

Post by William4u »

I'm afraid that 15% is now considered a bad tip. 20% is considered the proper tip for decent service.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

I usually tip 18% for service that meets my expectations. When the service is poor, I leave less and always include an explanation. If the service was exceptional, or if I made requests that added work for the server, I'll tip 20-25%. Waiters do not receive minimum wage, so they depend on tips. When I go to Canada, where I know they receive minimum wage, I tip less.

I really wish this country would give waiters minimum wage and then let them earn their tips via providing good service rather than guilting customers into tipping enough to ensure they get the wage rate that workers in any other industry are legally entitled to.
island

Post by island »

Minimum tip for us is 20% on entire bill including tax, but I'd caution not to read too much into the waitresses demeanor as you passed on your way out. May have had nothing to do with you.
JDDS

Post by JDDS »

In quite a bit of the country 20% seems to be expected. In the Midwest I've recently tipped from 15%-30%. I usually tip 20% or so. I often frequent establishments where I am known, idk, but maybe that's part of the higher rate.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

island wrote:I'd caution not to read too much into the waitresses demeanor as you passed on your way out. May have had nothing to do with you.
I totally agree. There are a ton of things that could make waitstaff upset. If I had to guess, it was unrelated to your tip.
Topic Author
SailorJerry

Post by SailorJerry »

Thanks for this. I think my tipping guidelines may be out of line. I was under the assumption that 15% was the standard amount. Exceptional service was 20% and poor service was 10% or under. I guess I will have to modify my math when going out in order to not get stink eye'd on the way out of a restaurant.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

20% is considered norm.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
southbay

Post by southbay »

I normally tip 20% of the subtotal, more if great service. I dont tip on tax.
russelljohnson

Post by russelljohnson »

15% for acceptable service
0%-15% for bad service
15% - 20% for exceptional service

90% of the time, I receive acceptable service.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

I was facing the same stares and decided to always tip 20%. Also, I realized, at some places, people are tipping 10% for take out's. Especially at small restaurants which use an ipad and a tip menu comes up with three big circles of 10%, 15% and 20%.

My wife and I recently decided to reduce our eating out because of this. 20% tip plus 10% tax; combine that with HCOL area prices, its too much!
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
corner559

Post by corner559 »

In the States I always tip 20% unless the service was terrible. As for tipping, it's time that restaurants pay their wait staff a living wage and do away with tipping entirely. As for the argument about worse/better service, I've found that in cultures where tipping is not the norm the service is usually no better or worse than what I get in an American restaurant so that argument doesn't fly.
jidina80

Post by jidina80 »

Thanks for starting this thread so I know how much to tip when I visit the U.S. Tipping has gotten far from its original intention of rewarding excellence. It now seems almost mandatory. Personally, I don't like being presenting one price on a menu but being charged another out the door after tax and tip are added.

In Fiji, there is normally no tipping (except some 'Christmas Fund' jars at tourist bars). The price on the menu or taxi meter is exactly what you pay when leaving. Value added (sales) tax is already baked into the posted prices. Many are insulted if you try to pay them extra for the kindness they tried to give. Hard to describe, but giving usually feels better than taking, and tipping deprives people of giving. They'd rather be valued for being kind without that being taken away with a payoff. It's changing in the highly touristed areas, though.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

I'm always amazed by American tipping. Maybe I should become a waiter. Sounds lucrative to me. If you do a good job that is.
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

corner559 wrote:In the States I always tip 20% unless the service was terrible. As for tipping, it's time that restaurants pay their wait staff a living wage and do away with tipping entirely. As for the argument about worse/better service, I've found that in cultures where tipping is not the norm the service is usually no better or worse than what I get in an American restaurant so that argument doesn't fly.
I found that service is much worse in cultures with no tipping... guess its personal experience. I love that in the USA when I get bad service I can do something about it.
jidina80

Post by jidina80 »

Goal-33xSpending wrote:
corner559 wrote:I found that service is much worse in cultures with no tipping... guess its personal experience. I love that in the USA when I get bad service I can do something about it.
Valid point, but probably more due to factors others than tipping. Personal service is strongest where there is repeat business. Also, other cultures have different values on what 'good service' means.

In many cultures, relationships are built over time. In the U.S., more often, restaurant servers and patrons view their relationship as a one-time occurrence. 'Settle one's debt immediately' instead of the value of a longer term relationship.
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

I'm glad I don't have to deal with that culture of tipping. I tip as I feel fit. But I don't at all like that in your face service of "hi, my name is xyz and i'll be your server tonight"..gah.

And yes, I have worked as waitstaff in countries where they 'don't tip' and never had any problem making more than double my salary in tips.
Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty »

HongKonger wrote:I'm glad I don't have to deal with that culture of tipping. I tip as I feel fit. But I don't at all like that in your face service of "hi, my name is xyz and i'll be your server tonight"..gah.

And yes, I have worked as waitstaff in countries where they 'don't tip' and never had any problem making more than double my salary in tips.
Double one's salary in tips still isn't a living wage in the U.S. since servers get way less than the minimum wage in salary.
I don't know anything.
cricket49

Post by cricket49 »

I don't care if I get a dirty look or not.

I tip 20 for exceptional service and 15 for average service. We leave less than 10% if the service is lousy since some people are not meant to be waiters or waitresses. I am not responsible to carry those who have no clue why they don't make money.

Pet Peeve: Asking someone in the service industry how they are doing. They answer "Can't wait until I get off work". :oops: Why can't people take pride in their job? Many of us had to work our way up the ladder just like them.
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

ray.james wrote:Also, I realized, at some places, people are tipping 10% for take out's.
Really? I always thought that the rule is "no tipping for take-out."
John3754

Post by John3754 »

I've noticed that many places have started printing suggested tips on the receipts that are 15%, 20%, and 25% of the after tax total. I find this to be very irritating.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

russelljohnson wrote:15% for acceptable service
0%-15% for bad service

+1
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

20% is my standard for tips and can go higher for exceptional service. If service is really poor, I may only tip 15%, but I do this rarely. My wife likes to express appreciation to management when we get exceptional service. This seems to be well appreciated and also helps if you are a regular customer.
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

I still give 15% for acceptable service and sometimes wonder where this "20%" came from. When I think back to when I was a kid in the early 1950s, 10% for acceptable service was the norm-----what will it be next, 25% for decent service? If the waiter/waitress doesn't like it----well----it is their problem, not mine.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
michaelsieg

Post by michaelsieg »

I am from Switzerland, where they got rid of the tipping system and implemented a service charge included in the food/drink price when I was a kid. So from that time on, waiters would get their share no matter how bad the service was.
The argument at the time was," why should an attractive young waitress make much more for the same work as someone who is not young/attractive?"

My parents complained many times how bad the service in restaurants has become after that change and even today, the quality of service is lightyears better in the US than in most European countries.

I am happy to tip well for friendly service that makes you feel welcome, and people should know that the costumer service in the US likely would get much worse, if there were a minimal wage for waiters.
nolesrule

Post by nolesrule »

Interesting discussion, but based on the original post, it's just circumstantial to come to the conclusion that it was low tip that caused the look. Could have been any number of reasons.

I generally tip between 15% and 20%. The exact amount is rounded, either to bring the total to a whole dollar amount or to bring the tip amount to a whole dollar. Bad service comes with a tip below 10% and a talking to the manager.
midareff

Post by midareff »

0%-15% for bad service

We feel the same way.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

I never leave less than 20%... I think the waiter/waitress would have to be blatantly and intentionally terrible for me to ever leave less than that. If they're good or do something extra for me I go to 25%. Where I am a regular I generally leave 30-33%.

With take-out I usually leae 10%... but I kinda hate doing it. The line on the receipt generally guilts me into it.

I used to only tip delivery people a couple bucks - then a friend of mine said he always tipped them 20%+. He said if your willing to tip 20% for someone to bring food to your table you should be willing to do the same when they bring food to your house.
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Just another reason why we eat at home more often than not.
It's tedious.

I really despise putting up with this nonsense.

I don't tip on tax, however if it's BOGO or discount night, I'll definitely tip based on including the full price of the reduced or 'free' meal.
If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

I tip a minimum of 20% for standard service, more if it is better. Almost never do I tip less than this. Being a waitress is not an easy job; if I can't afford the tip, I don't eat out at a particular establishment. But if I can afford the meal, I can afford/factor in the cost of a 20%+ tip - this isn't an area where I'm willing to be cheap.

I go to a very affordable place to get my hair cut and often use coupons (so the haircut is cheap), but always tip on the full (not discounted) amount and tip at least 25%, often 33%. It's worth it, since I am a repeat customer.
amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice »

I would argue that 15% is quite acceptable. There is no standard across the board for service, but it seems like 18% has become a minimum gratuity at places if there is a minimum of 6 or more guests. Certain restaurants may dictate more, such as upscale, but a local pizza joint shouldn't demand 20% for decent service. If it's exceptional, meaning at least 3 refills without having to ask, prebussing empty plates, timely entrees, etc., I usually do right at 18-20% and occasionally slightly more. I've had bad experiences recently at a couple places with surly servers and usually do 10-15% depending on the food and overall experience.

10-15% poor service
15-18% regular service
18-20% most of the time
>20% rare, special occasions, exceptional service
Raryn

Post by Raryn »

Eating in, I tip 15% rounded up generally to bring the bill to a somewhat even amount, ends up being c. 17-18% for most bills. I'll round down for poor service (the most annoying in my opinion is my having an empty water glass for >half the meal, since unlike the food that is COMPLETELY within the power of the server) and go to the low 20s percentagewise for stellar service. Of course, if they automatically deduct an 18% service charge, I never tip extra.

I tip zero for takeout. Maybe $2-3 if it is very conveniently packaged, actually done on time, and I'm feeling in a generous mood. Usually though, I'll just zero out the line and repeat the total.

I tip 15% for delivery, with a minimum of probably $4-5 for that one.

It doesn't make any sense to me why the expected percentage tip would go up over time. One could say "inflation", the the actual food price is being inflated over time, so the share going to the waitstaff would go up even if the percentage stayed the same!
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

I tip 15% for good service.
I tip 18% for nice service.
I tip 20% for exceptional service (including refilling my glass without me prompting, delivering the food to the table in an expeditious manner, and being nice to the customers).

I tip zero for take-out, I tip zero at places like bakeries that have a jar at the counter - labeled "tip jar". :oops: I mean, give me a break, all you are doing is taking the bread from the shelve, placing it a bag and handing it to me. That is not "tip" worthy. Same thing at the pizza joint.

However, there was one time where I was dining with a colleague - the service was beyond pitiful and the waiter copped an attitude. My colleague had been a waitstaff during college and wouldn't put up with the nonsense. He handled the tip: the tip was one thin flat dime left on top of the check which we paid in cash for. I will admit, I was embarrassed and tried to give 10%, but my colleague was adamant that the only way to send a real message was to give a "token" amount. Mind you, this was in NYC where cost of living is high to say the least.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Zecht

Post by Zecht »

If they are giving you dirty looks for leaving a tip, they must not want one next time.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:I tip 15% for good service.
I tip 20% for exceptional service (including refilling my glass without me prompting, delivering the food to the table in an expeditious manner, and being nice to the customers).

I tip zero for take-out, I tip zero at places like bakeries that have a jar at the counter - labeled "tip jar". :oops: I mean, give me a break, all you are doing is taking the bread from the shelve, placing it a bag and handing it to me. That is not "tip" worthy. Same thing at the pizza joint.

However, there was one time where I was dining with a colleague - the service was beyond pitiful and the waiter copped an attitude. My colleague had been a waitstaff during college and wouldn't put up with the nonsense. He handled the tip: the tip was one thin flat dime left on top of the check which we paid in cash for. I will admit, I was embarrassed and tried to give 10%, but my colleague was adamant that the only way to send a real message was to give a "token" amount. Mind you, this was in NYC where cost of living is high to say the least.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
investnoob

Post by investnoob »

sawhorse wrote: When I go to Canada, where I know they receive minimum wage, I tip less.
This is not true in all provinces. In Ontario, servers in an establishment that has a liquor license make about 15% less than minimum wage.
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:He handled the tip: the tip was one thin flat dime left on top of the check which we paid in cash for. I will admit, I was embarrassed and tried to give 10%, but my colleague was adamant that the only way to send a real message was to give a "token" amount. Mind you, this was in NYC where cost of living is high to say the least.
For horrible service I've left a penny just to be sure that they knew that I didn't just forget the tip, the tip wasn't stolen - that was the tip. A tip is earned and then granted, not an entitlement. This was on advise from a friend that was a former waitress.

I never tip takeout. I don't order delivery.
I tip 15% for good service. To get 20% the waitstaff would have to really go out of their way.

Restaurants will add the "18% gratuity" to large groups. If they feel that acceptable rate for the extra work needed to care for a large group then why would I give more than that for a small group?
investnoob

Post by investnoob »

investnoob wrote:
sawhorse wrote: When I go to Canada, where I know they receive minimum wage, I tip less.
This is not true in all provinces. In Ontario, servers in an establishment that has a liquor license make about 15% less than minimum wage.
edit: another example is quebec. server's generally pay income taxes on 8% of tippable sales. So if you tip less than 8% in quebec you will definitely hear about it! ;)
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I don't know - $10 / 15% - it's not like you stiffed her. Sound more like her issue than yours in my opinion.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I tip 20% as a standard. My understanding is that 20% is the new 15%. I tip lower if the service is bad - higher if the service is exceptional. However - I also account for the level of effort of the server. If I spend 3 hours sitting at an airport bar and I'm not drinking alcohol - Just sipping club soda refills with a burger - I will tip what might amount to 100-200% - the amount of the tip the server would have gotten if I hadn't spent only a measly $15.
fishingmn

Post by fishingmn »

I pretty much always do 20% but don't tip on tax. My grandfather always told me to not tip on tax growing up so it stuck with me.

No tip on takeout.
scouter

Post by scouter »

0%-15% for bad service

+1
scouter

Post by scouter »

For dirty looks, I tip 0%.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

William4u wrote:I'm afraid that 15% is now considered a bad tip. 20% is considered the proper tip for decent service.
This is true, but it really wouldn't amount to much more. I always tip 20% unless I get bad manners. I could deal with mistakes of all kind, but I can't deal with rudeness. Unfortunately most of the time, I am with my wife who doesn't let me short change them even if they were rude. She's too nice. She will always give them the benefit of the doubt and say maybe they had a bad day. So, 20% is my standard and if we get someone who is really sweet, we give more.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

I consider myself to be a generous tipper. I usually tip ~20% if the service is good. If something isn't right or not 100% perfect it drops to ~15%. If service is horrible I am not afraid to tip nothing. But I often tip ~25% or more if the server has gone out of his/her way to make the meal better; and most good servers at nice restaurants will go this extra mile in some way.
LateStarter1975

Post by LateStarter1975 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:I tip 15% for good service.

+1
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful
Abe

Post by Abe »

Why should the customer have to worry about how much to pay a restaurants employees?
Slow and steady wins the race.
Confused

Post by Confused »

I don't tip. I mean, we're broke enough that we go to restaurants exactly annually. In one specific month to one specific restaurant. If they want more money, put a higher price on the menu. If the server isn't receiving at least minimum wage, the employer is legally obligated to make up the difference.

But I'm confused by "good service" versus "bad service." The job of the server is to put the food on the table. Is the food on the table? Okay, then everything's good. I've never had a time where the food wasn't put on the table. I never see any variation in "service level."
mholdi1540

Post by mholdi1540 »

If you can afford it there is nothing wrong with sharing the wealth a little bit. My son worked as a "...Bus Boy" last summer at the WW2 Museum in New Orleans. He would get part of the tip but at the end of the pay period he did not make a living wage. After that experience I always tip 20% of the total bill (tax included) even if the service is so-so. It' can be a tough job dealing with the public and after my son's experience I have more sympathy toward the people who work in this industry.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Confused wrote:I don't tip. I mean, we're broke enough that we go to restaurants exactly annually. In one specific month to one specific restaurant. If they want more money, put a higher price on the menu. If the server isn't receiving at least minimum wage, the employer is legally obligated to make up the difference.

But I'm confused by "good service" versus "bad service." The job of the server is to put the food on the table. Is the food on the table? Okay, then everything's good. I've never had a time where the food wasn't put on the table. I never see any variation in "service level."
You should let the server know up front that you won't be tipping so they can put the food on the table and do no more. :beer