DC-based Estate Attorney Mike Collins' Seminars

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
BlackStrat

DC-based Estate Attorney Mike Collins' Seminars

Post by BlackStrat »

I hear ads for this guys firm all the time on the radio (he also has a Saturday morning call-in radio program).

I'm not sure I'm in the right paygrade for looking at a trust but would like to learn more about it and I enjoy the way this guys explains things.

Just wondering if anyone has attended one of his "wills, estates, trusts" type seminars? What did you think?
mbres60

Re: DC-based Estate Attorney Mike Collins' Seminars

Post by mbres60 »

We did. He was a good speaker. We did sign up to meet with an attorney. Depends on where you live as to who they assign to you. Didn't care too much for the attorney we had. He was not particularly personable. There were some things he mentioned that we knew nothing about so we waited. Because we didn't know any other estate attorneys we went with him. Before signing papers we went back in but spoke with a different attorney (original one wasn't there that day) who was MUCH better and explained things better. We did sign however ultimately it turns out that the only thing in our trust is our house. Banks want to put your accounts into their own versions and not yours. All our mutual funds, etc have beneficiaries and contingent ones too.

I would go and listen to him. If your assets are mostly with banks, mutual funds and pensions (where they allow beneficiaries and contingent beneficiaries) then I would do research to determine if you really need a trust. That could even be something you ask the lawyer (it is a free consultation). We did not know it at the time that little would end up in the trust. Also if you have enough money (don't know what is considered "enough") research AB trusts before you go in so you can get questions answered.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

If you go to the free dinner seminar, and you're the one who buys the annuity, the living trust, the timeshare, or the bridge, not only did you pay for your free dinner, but you paid for the free dinners for everyone else in the room.
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

From one who listens with knowledge of estate planning matters (and as a disinterested party) I think Mike Collins and his firm are savvy and reliable pros. They have a wide ranging and subtle understanding of estate issues for DC, MD and VA.

Don't be put-off because he sponsors seminars. They are not "plate-licker" presentations. It's a very competitive market and his seminars give an edge.
Topic Author
BlackStrat

Post by BlackStrat »

skepticalobserver wrote:From one who listens with knowledge of estate planning matters (and as a disinterested party) I think Mike Collins and his firm are savvy and reliable pros. They have a wide ranging and subtle understanding of estate issues for DC, MD and VA.

Don't be put-off because he sponsors seminars. They are not "plate-licker" presentations. It's a very competitive market and his seminars give an edge.
I got this impression too - he seems on the up and up.

A 2-hour free seminar...what could go wrong?!?!

(I wish dinner was included!)
FCM

Post by FCM »

My wife and I attended one of his seminars back in 2008 and decided to go with his firm to develop a living trust. Since I had been the trustee for my late father's trust, I was somewhat familiar with trusts and knew what we wanted to do for ourselves. Thus, my wife and I weren't totally dependent upon the Collins firm attorney in terms of structuring the terms of the trust. The initial attorney we worked with drafted all the necessary documents, and after a few minor revisions, we got everything executed. They gave us a good final package and even re-titled our home in the name of the trust without any additional cost. All in all, it was a satisfactory experience and wasn't too expensive. However, make sure you retitle all your non-IRA assets in the name of the trust and designate a successor trustee (go "two-deep"). Otherwise, the trust will do you no good.
perries

Post by perries »

We went to one of the seminars a couple of months ago. We found it very informative. We signed up afterward for a consultation but haven't scheduled one yet.

As to annuities, time shares and bridges, or indeed MLM pitches, it was not like that and we have had basis for comparison.
He described the reasons why they offer their trust products and the rationale for the advice they give, described the products, gave a ballpark estimate - sounds like they make an assessment of the complexity and offer a flat fee arrangement for the stated work, and also patiently took everyone's questions.

By contrast, a few years ago we attended a different seminar from another group that has a different program on that same station. Now those folks were selling annuities and appeared to be doing handsomely for themselves too.

Now that we have experienced probate, it is attractive to think we might spare the next generation that experience.
Topic Author
BlackStrat

Post by BlackStrat »

thanks for all the responses - I think I'll try a seminar.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

BlackStrat wrote:thanks for all the responses - I think I'll try a seminar.
I don't know the person involved in the seminars, so my comments aren't directed at him. However, you might instead ask around for referrals, and then check the bios and the websites of the persons whose names you get.
BlackStrat wrote:... A 2-hour free seminar...what could go wrong? ...
If I had to guess, I would guess a subtle pitch for living trusts, even for those who don't have a particular reason to create one.[/quote]