What are the Pro's and Con's of Retiring in Amarillo, TX

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
rec7

What are the Pro's and Con's of Retiring in Amarillo, TX

Post by rec7 »

What are the Pro's and Con's of Retiring in Amarillo, TX I wanted a place not as humid as St. Louis but not super dry either. I also am looking for low cost of living. I am looking for a place that is has no state income tax.
Last edited by rec7 on Tue May 05, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
femur

Re: What are the Pro's and Con's of Retiring in Amarillo, TX

Post by femur »

PRO: Texas has no state income tax.

CON: You will have to drive much further to attend Cardinals games at Busch Stadium
traveler90

Post by traveler90 »

Maybe provide a little more info. Why are you asking this?
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

You get free steak dinners at The Big Texan, provided you're really hungry...
Attempted new signature...
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Amarillo was the topic of another retirement thread:
https://bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=164136

Pros: None.

Cons: Lots.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
lhl12

Post by lhl12 »

You get to go hiking in and around the Palo Duro Canyon.

Also, you're only about a 1:45 drive from Lubbock so you can go watch Texas Tech games.

And, you're about a 4:00 drive from Santa Fe, which is a wonderful place to visit.
Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 »

You may be surprised to learn how windy it is in Amarillo. This is a flat, dry part of Texas with few trees. I have only driven through a few times but the aroma from the Hereford cattle operations was a wake up call on each passage.

You need to visit a few times to get a feel for this part of the country before making a commitment. I enjoyed 10 years in Texas but would have no interest in Amarillo.
rightdecisions

Post by rightdecisions »

I use Armadillo as a restroom break on the way to NM/CO. Would never consider living there.
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

Pros: Large meat packing plant.
Nuclear weapon assembly facility
Also, most of the world's supply of Helium is near Amarillo. So there's that.
Last edited by tludwig23 on Tue May 05, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

rightdecisions wrote:I use Armadillo as a restroom break on the way to NM/CO. Would never consider living there.
Armadillo and Amarillo are two different sorts of things...
rightdecisions

Post by rightdecisions »

The Wizard wrote:
rightdecisions wrote:I use Armadillo as a restroom break on the way to NM/CO. Would never consider living there.
Yep, I think we all know that. But when speaking about Amarillo....they are the same.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

It is also the 1/2 way point for us when driving between Central TX and Colorado so we've stayed the night there on occasion.

I can't think of a single reason why anyone not from Amarillo would want to retire there out of the blue. Perhaps if it is where you are from and are surrounded by extended family and such then maybe...but then you wouldn't be here asking. But generally speaking, Amarillo is the sort of place one escapes from rather than moves to on purpose when other options are available.

If you want to be in the panhandle then Lubbock is a more vibrant city and at least has the university there to provide entertainment and culture.

If you want to be in Texas then there are many many other small and large cities that will have comparable costs of living to Amarillo but won't smell like a stockyard and will have a lot more to offer in terms of things to see and do and enjoy.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

rightdecisions wrote:
The Wizard wrote:
Yep, I think we all know that. But when speaking about Amarillo....they are the same.
All righty then.
Along those lines, I suppose we could say that if the DustBowl returns due to continued lack of rain, living in Armadillo will afford the occupant a front row seat to the festivities...
AndrewS

Post by AndrewS »

I spend time in Amarillo for work.

Pros: Housing is cheap as dirt. Tyler's BBQ is pretty tasty. Like most places the people are friendly.
Cons: 10/12 months the weather is terrible. Very hot and windy in the summer. Very cold and windy in the winter. Not much to do if you like the outdoors or high culture.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Cons: (1) It's in Amarillo, and (2) Amarillo is in the Texas Panhandle. I've driven through and spent the night a few times and I'm good.

Pros: I think there's a place where you can get a free 72 oz. steak if you can eat the whole thing. Not sure I'd retire there just for that though...
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
whatusername?

Post by whatusername? »

Pro: All the sky you can handle! Plus I've never met anyone from Amarillo that I didn't like.
Con: To get anywhere will take you awhile. Car trips are measured in hours, not miles (like a lot of places in TX). Not exactly a cosmopolitan destination.

Have you thought maybe about Wichita Falls instead? It's a lot like Amarillo just closer to larger areas like Dallas and OKC.
Browser

Post by Browser »

On the plus side, I think the Texas Panhandle is a step up from the Oklahoma Panhandle. But that's just me. I am positive there are lots of fine folks who live in and love both these areas. When you live in a place and have some roots it's amazing how attractive it becomes. And I'll bet I'd like most of the people living there a heck of a lot more than some other places I can think of, and have lived in.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Unless you have family there, or are otherwise connected to the area, I would continue looking.

My wife has relatives there, and I love them dearly, but when they suggest that we move to Amarillo - "Oh, you'll have no trouble getting jobs here!" - we murmur agreeable things and change the subject :P

At least George Strait has a great song about the place: "Amarillo By Morning" - YouTube
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Bump I added more info about what I am looking for.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

rec7 wrote:What are the Pro's and Con's of Retiring in Amarillo, TX I wanted a place not as humid as St. Louis but not super dry either. I also am looking for low cost of living. I am looking for a place that is has no state income state.
You probably mean no state income tax...
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Right
Browser

Post by Browser »

To the OP. If you're looking for a low tax/cost of living location to retire, it's not just state income tax that's important. It's the combined tax load including sales tax, property tax, vehicle registration fees, etc. For example, I'm in Arizona and the income tax and property tax rates aren't bad. But they nail you on sales tax, vehicle registration fees, etc. so you end up with a higher overall tax and fee rate than lots of other places with higher income and property tax rates. You can find reviews that compare locations based on the various tax loads and see which ones would be the lowest for your situation. I'm not a purveyor of comprehensive information, but I am aware that South Carolina, for example, has some pretty low overall tax rates and cost of living, and the western areas of SC that are nearer to the mountains are not as hot and humid as coastal SC. I'm sure there are many choices that are going to be much more geographically attractive than Amarillo, even though you might not be able to get a free 72 oz. steak when you haven't eaten anything for a few days.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Two words: No Ocean.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

The free 72 oz steak is CLEARLY the big elephant in the room...
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Wow it is that bad compared to St Louis?
Watty

Post by Watty »

I am looking for a place that is has no state income tax.
Lots of places don't have state income taxes.

Just FYI, it does not show up in some of the online lists but here in Georgia there is a retirement income exclusion so that there is no state income taxes of almost all types of retirement income on the first $65K in income($130K for a couple) once you are 65. That is in addition to not taxing social security income. Many of the smaller cities and rural areas have inexpensive house and even in some nice areas of Atlanta you can get a nice modest house for $200K or less. The humidity in the North Georgia mountains is not that bad and there are several retirement areas there..

It varies a lot by most by county but most counties don't have real high property taxes either.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Here's one place to start looking at retiree taxes. Not a complete picture, however, because it overlooks sales taxes, car registration fees, and the like. For example, if you move to Arizona and register your 10-year old clunker you will have to pay a sizeable fee because it is based on a percentage of the original new-car MSRP, even though the clunker is probably worth a small fraction of that value now. You gotta read the fine print. In my case, I have a vehicle that is 13 years old that is worth less than the registration fee.

http://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retiremen ... PROD-LINKS
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Texas is a big state, so there are plenty of decent places in Texas to live. Do you want small, medium, large, humongous town? Do you want red dust or grassy prairie or lush forest or swamp or ocean?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

livesoft wrote:Texas is a big state, so there are plenty of decent places in Texas to live. Do you want small, medium, large, humongous town? Do you want red dust or grassy prairie or lush forest or swamp or ocean?
See also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JREkqCvLzSo
mhc

Post by mhc »

Amarillo is Spanish for yellow. Have you ever wondered why it is called Amarillo? I have a guess. I've been there several times when the water was undrinkable due to the sulfur. Maybe they have fixed it now.

As others have said, the weather is really bad there.

The hill country near Austin would be a lot nicer. East Texas is more lush and has great pine forests.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
tacster

Post by tacster »

takeshi wrote:
livesoft wrote:Texas is a big state, so there are plenty of decent places in Texas to live. Do you want small, medium, large, humongous town? Do you want red dust or grassy prairie or lush forest or swamp or ocean?
See also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JREkqCvLzSo
:D
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
Browser

Post by Browser »

" I left out the Panhandle, and a lot of people do." ~ Bernie. These poor Panhandle-ites just can't catch a break.... People keep forgetting about that free 72- oz. steak in Amarilla.
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

People are crazy about Santa Fe, NM and it is not that far away.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Seven states have no state income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming. Two others, New Hampshire and Tennessee, tax only dividend and interest income.

I would believe, it that is your one criteria, unless family is involved, that there are other options.

Now you put steak on my mind Ol' 96'er

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Browser

Post by Browser »

Old 96er? MineGott, that is a 96 oz. steak - the daddy of the free 72 ouncer in Amarilla! My nephew actually ate the whole thing and then upchucked it in the parking lot afterwards -- but it was free so no harm no foul.
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

I don't know how to say this gracefully, so I'll just say it. West Texas, including Amarillo, is a horrible place to live, visit, or otherwise spend any meaningful portion of your life.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Is this the way to Amarillo
Every night I've been hugging my pillow
Dreaming dreams of Amarillo
And sweet Marie who waits for me

People are writing songs about it. The place must have some things going for it. :D
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

AZAttorney11 wrote:I don't know how to say this gracefully, so I'll just say it. West Texas, including Amarillo, is a horrible place to live, visit, or otherwise spend any meaningful portion of your life.
Perhaps, though I had fun in Pecos a couple years ago.
Guadalupe Mountains are fun if you're a hiker.
And next March, I'll be in Big Bend NP for close to a week...
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

Spent a few days in Armarillo. Good bbq. That's about it.

Check out east Tennessee. No income tax but we have the Hall Tax on interest/dividends $2500 exemption, MFJ. 6% on everything above that. Oh.. and a 10% sales tax.
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

Pros: Your retired.

Cons: Your in Texas.
Browser

Post by Browser »

You folks have obviously not checked TripAdvisor for the top things you can do in Amarillo. Here are a few:

1) Traveland RV Museum
2) Cadillac Ranch: dozens of old caddys half buried vertically in the ground with their fins sticking up
3) American Quarter Horse Heritage Center & Museum
4) Historic Harrington House
5) Don Harrington Discover Center
6) Amarillo Botanical Gardens
7) Globe-News Center for the Performing Arts
8) Texas Air & Space Museum
9) Route 66 Historic District
10) Amarillo Zoo
11) Amarill Museum of Art
12) John Stiff Memorial Dog Park
13) Helium Monument
14) Wildcat Bluff Nature Center
15) Kwahadi Museum of the American Indian
16) Amarillo Opera
17) Midnight Rodeo
18) Amarillo Railroad Museum
19) Whiskers Bar
20) Lil' Dadz Lounge

and we haven't even mentioned the Big Texan Steak Ranch - home of the free 72 oz steak.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions- ... Texas.html

And you elitists thought it was just a pee and gas stop...
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

Dutch wrote:
People are writing songs about it. The place must have some things going for it. :D
Buck Owens, Merle Haggard (and the Rolling Stones) wrote about Bakersfield, and it's still got nothing going for it.
Austintatious

Post by Austintatious »

Make NO commitment of consequence until you actually spend some time in and around Amarillo. Very important.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Austintatious wrote:Make NO commitment of consequence until you actually spend some time in and around Amarillo. Very important.
And always remember "wherever you go, there you'll be". In my case that always spoils everything. My surroundings may be the least important consideration...
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Thanks everyone. I am laughing a little bit it sounds like one of the most dreaded town in the US.
Austintatious

Post by Austintatious »

rec7 wrote:Thanks everyone. I am laughing a little bit it sounds like one of the most dreaded town in the US.
You can expect blazing hot summers, frigid winters, wind nearly always and blowing dust often, a flat landscape in any and all directions and farther than you can imagine, and a long trek to cities of size. Of course, the speed limits are high and the roads are good. Truth is, Texas has a lot to offer in the "livable communities" department but, no offense to the many good people of Amarillo and the Texas Panhandle, I simply cannot imagine living there. It's the landscape, which I find distinctly depressing. I like trees, lots of them. That said, nearby Palo Duro Canyon is a place of remarkable natural wonder and worth visiting, which we have.
Browser

Post by Browser »

You guys are just not accustomed to the "big sky" country where you can gaze out on endless landscapes. There's a beauty to it that goes unappreciated until you spend some time there. And I really like places without big crowds.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

I love how distances get shrunk in the west because there's nothing else in between.

Upstream someone mentioned proximity to Santa Fe as a plus. In point of fact, the distance to Santa Fe from Amarillo is about 280 miles which is about 65 miles farther than the distance between Boston and New York. In fact, someone driving south out of Boston would land in the NJ suburbs north of Philly when they had driven the same distance as between Amarillo and Santa Fe.
bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster »

I can't see many pro's...
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

Con: You're in Amarillo, TX.

I had a short work assignment there one time for 3 weeks. That was 21 days too many.