Trip to [Zihuatanejo] Mexico

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
brak

Trip to [Zihuatanejo] Mexico

Post by brak »

We are heading off for a brief vacation to Zihuatanejo, Mexico at the end of the month. I already have a no foreign funds transaction fee credit card. We will be arriving on a Saturday afternoon so banks will be closed. How do people deal with the need for some loose change to pay for little knickknacks and such that are needed? Do they convert some dollars to pesos in the States before they leave, or what? The last time I travelled I used travelers checks but they are a thing of the past. Also, if anyone has traveled to the Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa area, suggestions on things to do (we will be bringing three teenagers), places to eat? Thanks.
3504PIR

Re: Trip to Mexico

Post by 3504PIR »

Bring some Pesos would be my recommendation, but I personally would not be going as I take enough chances with work to consider taking chances on vacation. A couple of links:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passpor ... rning.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/doliaesteve ... -guerrero/

From the State Department link specific to the location/state you are visiting:

Guerrero: Acapulco, Ixtapa, Taxco and Zihuatanejo are major cities/travel destinations in Guerrero - Defer non-essential travel to all parts of the state, except for the cities of Acapulco, Ixtapa, and Zihuatanejo . Travel to Acapulco and Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo only by air or cruise ship, exercise caution, and remain in tourist areas. Travel in and out of Acapulco by air and cruise ship is permitted for U.S. government personnel. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling within Guerrero state by land, including via the 95D toll road (“cuota”) to/from Mexico City and Acapulco, as well as highway 200 between Acapulco and Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo. In Acapulco, defer non-essential travel to areas further than two blocks inland of the Costera Miguel Aleman Boulevard, which parallels the popular beach areas. Lodging for U.S. government personnel is limited to the hotel zone (“zona hotelera”) of Acapulco, beginning from the Krystal Beach Acapulco hotel in the north and going south through Puerto Marquez, including the Playa Diamante area and ending at The Resort at Mundo Imperial hotel. In general, the popular tourist area of Diamante, just south of the city, has been less affected by violence. Any activity outside the hotel zone for U.S. government personnel is limited to the coastal area from La Quebrada to the beginning of the hotel zone and only during daylight hours. The state of Guerrero was the most violent state in Mexico in 2013, with 2,087 homicides and 207 reported cases of kidnapping, according to the Mexican Secretariado Ejecutivo Nacional de Seguridad Publica. Self-defense groups operate independently of the government in many areas of Guerrero. Armed members of these groups frequently maintain roadblocks and, although not considered hostile to foreigners or tourists, are suspicious of outsiders and should be considered volatile and unpredictable.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Go to a local ATM when you arrive. Make sure your bank doesn't charge ridiculous fees for using a foreign ATM. My credit union charges a flat $1 fee for use of any ATM anywhere in the world, whereas some of the larger banks like Wells Fargo will charge a flat $5 fee plus 3% of your withdrawal.

I travel internationally regularly and have never exchanged any foreign currency prior to the trip.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

In any major Mexican tourist destination you'll find your US dollars are happily accepted. Often prices are posted in US dollars, not pesos. Know what the exchange rate is so you don't get ripped off, but round up.
Last edited by stan1 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
NorthDakota

Post by NorthDakota »

climber2020 wrote:Go to a local ATM when you arrive. Make sure your bank doesn't charge ridiculous fees for using a foreign ATM. My credit union charges a flat $1 fee for use of any ATM anywhere in the world, whereas some of the larger banks like Wells Fargo will charge a flat $5 fee plus 3% of your withdrawal.

I travel internationally regularly and have never exchanged any foreign currency prior to the trip.
I just returned from Cabo San Lucas two weeks ago and I used the ATM when I arrived as well. Other than that I used a non-foreign transaction fee credit card. Three of the four people on our trip got food poisoning so make sure to drink only bottled water and try to avoid ice. Sounds lame but we learned the hard way.
goingup

Post by goingup »

Hi-
You'll really love Zihuatanejo. We stayed for a week over Christmas 2013. It felt very safe and walkable.

We got $200 worth of pesos at the airport ATM right away for cab fare etc. Our favorite restaurant was this one: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... Coast.html

Tamales y Atoles Any restaurant (which we nicknamed Tamales Annie) had a bank ATM right across the street.

Have fun!

goinup
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

stan1 wrote:In any major Mexican tourist destination you'll find your US dollars are happily accepted. Often prices are posted in US dollars, not pesos. Know what the exchange rate is so you don't get ripped off, but round up.
I've found it's cheaper to pay in pesos. Get a couple hundred dollars worth from the ATM at the airport when you arrive. Err on the side of too much rather than too little so you don't have to go to the ATM again. If you still have too much left at the end of the trip, pay for part of the hotel room in cash to get rid of it.

-Steph
bap

Post by bap »

I usually get local currency from the ATM at the airport, then I look for a fast food store and break a large bill. After we landed in Lima a few years ago, each family member took turns purchasing an ice cream cone at the airport McD until we amassed a sufficient quantity of small bills and change. Many other vendors are not willing to make change, but McD does it with a smile.
Sbashore

Post by Sbashore »

3504PIR wrote:Bring some Pesos would be my recommendation, but I personally would not be going as I take enough chances with work to consider taking chances on vacation. A couple of links:

Guerrero: Acapulco, Ixtapa, Taxco and Zihuatanejo are major cities/travel destinations in Guerrero - Defer non-essential travel to all parts of the state, except for the cities of Acapulco, Ixtapa, and Zihuatanejo . Travel to Acapulco and Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo only by air or cruise ship, exercise caution, and remain in tourist areas. Travel in and out of Acapulco by air and cruise ship is permitted for U.S. government personnel. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling within Guerrero state by land, including via the 95D toll road (“cuota”) to/from Mexico City and Acapulco, as well as highway 200 between Acapulco and Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo. In Acapulco, defer non-essential travel to areas further than two blocks inland of the Costera Miguel Aleman Boulevard, which parallels the popular beach areas. Lodging for U.S. government personnel is limited to the hotel zone (“zona hotelera”) of Acapulco, beginning from the Krystal Beach Acapulco hotel in the north and going south through Puerto Marquez, including the Playa Diamante area and ending at The Resort at Mundo Imperial hotel. In general, the popular tourist area of Diamante, just south of the city, has been less affected by violence. Any activity outside the hotel zone for U.S. government personnel is limited to the coastal area from La Quebrada to the beginning of the hotel zone and only during daylight hours. The state of Guerrero was the most violent state in Mexico in 2013, with 2,087 homicides and 207 reported cases of kidnapping, according to the Mexican Secretariado Ejecutivo Nacional de Seguridad Publica. Self-defense groups operate independently of the government in many areas of Guerrero. Armed members of these groups frequently maintain roadblocks and, although not considered hostile to foreigners or tourists, are suspicious of outsiders and should be considered volatile and unpredictable.
+1. I avoid Mexico. Too many other safer, enjoyable places to go.
Steve | Semper Fi
praxis

Post by praxis »

I agree with the tips so far about currency.
Most everyone will accept dollars if you're temporarily out of pesos.
I always carry smaller US bills for this purpose.
If you want a better price on a souvenir, try offering dollars.
They know exactly what they can get for them on the street.

For quick street and market transactions in a country with an odd coversion rate,
I jot down the equivalents of US$1,5,10 and 20 on a slip of paper and carry it
(US$5 = 78 MX pesos)
until I am confident I can do it fast in my head while shopping or taxiing or eating out.

Taxis often are not carrying much change, even for pesos. Small bills/coins are handy
The airport ATMs offer a decent exchange rate, no need to buy pesos stateside.
Most restaurants accept credit cards, just use one with no foreign transaction fee.
I've noticed Mexican retailers are moving to chip cards but not as common as Europe.

Call your credit card companies before you go. Your bank debit card too if that's your go-to ATM card.
Tell them to expect abnormal (overseas) charges and the dates you'll be gone.
Schwab debit cards reimburse any FT fee or ATM fee on your account.
I would not travel overland by car or bus outside of Z.

Consider an early visit to a Mexican supermarket with the kids. It's facinating and
you can stash munchies, drinks, cheese, fruit (try a variety of those you don't know)
crackers, cookies in your room. If they're like ours, teenagers are always hungry
and a hotel gift shop is pricey.

Have a fun trip!
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

I wonder what the Venn diagram for "terrified of Mexico" and "terrified of AirBnB" looks like.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
cottonseed1

Post by cottonseed1 »

I have lived in Playa del Carmen for the last 3-4 years. Going to the ATM is certainly the best bet. I get very good x-rates out of an ATM and have a card with no ATM fees.

Always try to pay in pesos if possible, especially with the dollar being high right now. It is very common for most businesses here to give a 10:1 or 12:1 USD to Peso conversion, which means you will be getting drilled if you pay in USD. If you are using a credit card I would recommend trying to pay in pesos as well for the previous reasons mentioned.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

On my 3 trips to Cancun, I found that people loved dollars instead of peso's especially for tips and anything out of the corporate shops.
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

I was slightly north in Ixtapa. Go to Ixtapa island to relax. Snorkling tours. Jet skis.

We used US dollars. It was easier for us to judge whether we wanted to buy something. Using Pesos, you have to convert...then decide. Too much math for me on vacation. :happy
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

roymeo wrote:I wonder what the Venn diagram for "terrified of Mexico" and "terrified of AirBnB" looks like.
I have no doubt that the odds are in his favor to return home with his family in one piece, but I am continuously astounded at the level of naiveté we Americans display in some of our decisions particularly when they include their families. The question is why, knowing what is happening there, take the chance? But hey, then we get to see them on TV asking "why did this happen to me?" I live abroad and work on security issues, so I have numerous firsthand experiences with my fellow citizens who ended up on the wrong side of luck or a decision they made. No doubt you with your vast experience know better than I do.
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

nm...
Last edited by supersharpie on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

roymeo wrote:I wonder what the Venn diagram for "terrified of Mexico" and "terrified of AirBnB" looks like.
+1
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

Sbashore wrote:
3504PIR wrote:Bring some Pesos would be my recommendation, but I personally would not be going as I take enough chances with work to consider taking chances on vacation. A couple of links:

+1. I avoid Mexico. Too many other safer, enjoyable places to go.
Why do you right off an entire country based on violence levels in a few regions? That is like advising a person the avoid the US altogether due to the crime rates in Detroit and St. Louis.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

supersharpie wrote: Why do you right off an entire country based on violence levels in a few regions? That is like advising a person the avoid the US altogether due to the crime rates in Detroit and St. Louis.
Yes I avoid war zones even if portions of the country are potentially safe. Sad state of affairs but I consider Brazil, Mexico, much of Latin America too dangerous to visit right now. Ditto for much of Africa and of course the mid east, and worst of all some Caribbean islands. Hey, there is always Europe and developed Asia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Drug_War

Detroit politicians are not paying commandos to kill and bury dozens of bodies in the woods outside of town.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

brak wrote:We are heading off for a brief vacation to Zihuatanejo, Mexico at the end of the month. I already have a no foreign funds transaction fee credit card. We will be arriving on a Saturday afternoon so banks will be closed. How do people deal with the need for some loose change to pay for little knickknacks and such that are needed? Do they convert some dollars to pesos in the States before they leave, or what? The last time I travelled I used travelers checks but they are a thing of the past. Also, if anyone has traveled to the Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa area, suggestions on things to do (we will be bringing three teenagers), places to eat? Thanks.
I was in Cozumel and Costa Maya in December and had no problems using USD.
Watty

Post by Watty »

climber2020 wrote:Go to a local ATM when you arrive. Make sure your bank doesn't charge ridiculous fees for using a foreign ATM. My credit union charges a flat $1 fee for use of any ATM anywhere in the world, whereas some of the larger banks like Wells Fargo will charge a flat $5 fee plus 3% of your withdrawal.

+1

I also carry a couple of hundred dollars in cash in $20 bills or smaller for backup.

Do call your ATM and credit card companies to let them know your travel plans.

When you get your cash from the ATM ask for an odd amount. The problem is that if you ask for 2000 pesos then you might get four 500 pesos bill that you might have a hard time getting change for.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

/////
Last edited by Lynette on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
logos

Post by logos »

We drove in so we needed pesos for the toll road and immigration. I went to my wells fargo and they had them within a few days at the correct exchange rate. My experience has been to avoid the airport currency exchanges as the rates are bad. Most places where we went (San Carlos) take dollars and credit cards.
HorseRancher

Post by HorseRancher »

I travel to Mexico monthly, including Cancun, Cabo, Los Mochis, Zihuatenejo/Ixtapa, Monterrey, San Luis Potosi, and Mexico City. The violence landscape is continually in flux in Mexico. Rely only on current information from the past four weeks or so. The earlier posts are great advice, but I give you two additional pieces of advice: (1) Use an ATM inside of the security zone at the airport where you will be less likely to be observed. Avoid at all costs the use of an ATM along a public street, in a public market, or anywhere visible to general bystanders; (2) Remove all identifying tags from your baggage and boxes. The "new" scam in Mexico is called "virtual kidnapping", where your bag tag info will be sold by your taxi driver to a gang who will then call your hotel, claiming to know you, your home address, your room number in the hotel, and such.....then will demand that you meet them elsewhere for further instructions in order to avoid that their American cousins burglarize your home, kidnap other family members, or what have you. Remember -- the culprits know how to use Google to determine personal info about you, info that will scare the beejeezus out of you when they repeat it over the phone. (For example: "My cousins are outside your Grandma's home in Des Moines. Meet me outside with $500 or Grandma will be kidnapped.")

Google Virtual Kidnapping Mexico for more information from Forbes, the FBI, and they NY Times.
Topic Author
brak

Post by brak »

Thank you all for your help. I have one further question. I have an AT&T cellphone. Can/should I use that in Mexico or are there better options?
Thanks again.
kolea

Post by kolea »

Lynette wrote: So boring to live a sheltered life. Recently I've been to Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Mexico (several times), Guatemala and other states in Central America. As a former South African, I go there all the time - yes, I keep my eyes open and I'm careful. Oh and by the way, just got back from Cuba. I'm going to Mexico again in December.
+1
Kolea (pron. ko-lay-uh). Golden plover.
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

3504PIR wrote:
I have no doubt that the odds are in his favor to return home with his family in one piece, but I am continuously astounded at the level of naiveté we Americans display in some of our decisions particularly when they include their families. The question is why, knowing what is happening there, take the chance? But hey, then we get to see them on TV asking "why did this happen to me?" I live abroad and work on security issues, so I have numerous firsthand experiences with my fellow citizens who ended up on the wrong side of luck or a decision they made. No doubt you with your vast experience know better than I do.
Pissing contest was called off due to a lack of interest.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

My wife and have been traveling to Mexico on a yearly basis for over 30 years. Just use common sense and you'll be okay. Get some pesos at the airport. There are plenty of ATMs in large banks in town. The dollar is very strong now.

I have noticed that while some Americans are terrified to go to Mexico, the place is crawling with Canadians, who obviously do not share the same fears.

My sister takes a yearly cruise on the Mexican "Riviera," gets off the ship for an hour or so in Cabo, listens to a mariachi band, and thinks she's been to Mexico. That is NOT Mexico, sorry Sis.

My observation has always been that Mexico is a wonderful country with generous and hard-working people. Just avoid the condo salespeople and beach vendors, who can be annoying.

We have been to Zihuatanejo two dozen times and have made friends with a family there, with whom we keep in touch. We have traveled in Mexico by car, bus, and train.

The only time I've ever been concerned for my safety was in Quito. The only time I've ever been mugged was in Barcelona. The only time I've ever been involved in an armed holdup was in suburban Maryland. The only time my car was broken into was in San Francisco. But in Mexico? One time I got short-changed, but called them on it and demanded the true change, which I got.

Enjoy Zihuatanejo and Mexico!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Stirlingsean2

Post by Stirlingsean2 »

My favorite is Amuleto. Try and let me know about your experience.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

Lynette wrote:
z3r0c00l wrote:
supersharpie wrote: Why do you right off an entire country based on violence levels in a few regions? That is like advising a person the avoid the US altogether due to the crime rates in Detroit and St. Louis.
Yes I avoid war zones even if portions of the country are potentially safe. Sad state of affairs but I consider Brazil, Mexico, much of Latin America too dangerous to visit right now. Ditto for much of Africa and of course the mid east, and worst of all some Caribbean islands. Hey, there is always Europe and developed Asia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Drug_War

Detroit politicians are not paying commandos to kill and bury dozens of bodies in the woods outside of town.
So boring to live a sheltered life. Recently I've been to Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Mexico (several times), Guatemala and other states in Central America. As a former South African, I go there all the time - yes, I keep my eyes open and I'm careful. Oh and by the way, just got back from Cuba. I'm going to Mexico again in December.
Limiting myself to "only" visiting Europe, Asia, Pacific Islands, and North America is neither boring nor sheltered. I have missed out on some great countries from your list that unfortunately have little to no law and order and a justice system that is a joke. Sure one "only" has 20 times more risk of getting murdered in these countries than at home in the US. But if I can reduce my risk of murder by 20 times, I will do so. Cuba is quite safe. South Africa, the rape capital of the world? Not so much.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

The only travel-related financial problems I have had were credit card issues in Central America. Peru was fine, but in Guatemala (just south of Mexico!), I was not able to use my Chase CC for a large purchase ($600). I had to use my backup debit card. The credit card company sent one of those "are you trying to purchase something in ____________?" texts and emails, and becuase the internet service was spotty, the communications back and forth were not good enough to get the OK on using the card. Although Chase says you don't have to call them before traveling, I would still do it to avoid the kinds of problems I encountered. We were in guatemala on a medical missions trip, so there were no credit card charges for hotels or meals for most of the week- perhaps the trail of purchases didn't make sense to the Chase fraud department.
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

SRenaeP wrote:I've found it's cheaper to pay in pesos. Get a couple hundred dollars worth from the ATM at the airport when you arrive. Err on the side of too much rather than too little so you don't have to go to the ATM again. If you still have too much left at the end of the trip, pay for part of the hotel room in cash to get rid of it.-Steph
This is what I did.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

HorseRancher wrote:I travel to Mexico monthly, including Cancun, Cabo, Los Mochis, Zihuatenejo/Ixtapa, Monterrey, San Luis Potosi, and Mexico City. The violence landscape is continually in flux in Mexico. Rely only on current information from the past four weeks or so. The earlier posts are great advice, but I give you two additional pieces of advice: (1) Use an ATM inside of the security zone at the airport where you will be less likely to be observed. Avoid at all costs the use of an ATM along a public street, in a public market, or anywhere visible to general bystanders; (2) Remove all identifying tags from your baggage and boxes. The "new" scam in Mexico is called "virtual kidnapping", where your bag tag info will be sold by your taxi driver to a gang who will then call your hotel, claiming to know you, your home address, your room number in the hotel, and such.....then will demand that you meet them elsewhere for further instructions in order to avoid that their American cousins burglarize your home, kidnap other family members, or what have you. Remember -- the culprits know how to use Google to determine personal info about you, info that will scare the beejeezus out of you when they repeat it over the phone. (For example: "My cousins are outside your Grandma's home in Des Moines. Meet me outside with $500 or Grandma will be kidnapped.")

Google Virtual Kidnapping Mexico for more information from Forbes, the FBI, and they NY Times.
This could be a good reason not to pick up on unknown incoming phone calls, I would think...
Attempted new signature...
robert88

Post by robert88 »

Although I've probably led a "sheltered life", I would avoid countries where
1) a mayor orchestrates a mass execution of 40+ college students.
2) federal police officers tried to assassinate a US diplomat.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (travel).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Re: Trip to [Zihuatanejo] Mexico

Post by Alex Frakt »

Restarted thread. Please check posting dates. It's likely any advice now is too late for the OP.