When would you retire money no object?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.

When would you retire if money is not a problem

35-39
51%
45-50
16%
51-55
9%
56-60
19%
61-65
4%
66-70
2%

Total votes: 57

Topic Author
Rexindex

When would you retire money no object?

Post by Rexindex »

When would you retire (age) if money were not an issue (you could achieve your goal at that specific age). For those already retired, when would you have retired?
Last edited by Rexindex on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity.” | — Simone Weil
Dutch

Re: When would you retire money no object?

Post by Dutch »

Today
Purelife304

Post by Purelife304 »

I voted for 41-50 even though my actual response is yesterday, or possibly the day before.
hoppy08520

Post by hoppy08520 »

Dutch wrote:Today
Well, that didn't take long -- one minute after the starting post.

I'll second Dutch with another vote for "today".
WolfpackFan

Post by WolfpackFan »

Yup, I second the "today" sentiment.

I'm 33 so I don't fit in this particular poll. Unsure why you didn't include 20's and 30's in the poll options.
JLJL

Post by JLJL »

Purelife304 wrote:I voted for 41-50 even though my actual response is yesterday, or possibly the day before.
This wasn't even an option.

If money were no object how come I have to slog away in the rat race for another 10 years just to answer this poll?

BTW retiring and doing something productive are not mutually exclusive.
WolfpackFan

Post by WolfpackFan »

I would sit my lazy a$$ on the couch and watch so much Netflix.......
swaption

Post by swaption »

Have to cross that bridge when I come to it, but the answer for me might be never.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Yesterday!!!

My goal is 55, however since I am a small business owner this will probably equate to letting someone else manage my business for awhile unless I get really froggy and sell.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Jpg

Post by Jpg »

I am 53 and will be retiring from the Fire Dept. in Sept. I could work 3 more years, but 30 Winters fighting fires in Northern Ohio is enough. I will be living in Fla or Arizona next winter.
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

Pure subjective preference for immediately after last kid graduated college; 51-55. Luckily, we'll probably only miss by two years or so....
Our personal blog (no ads) of why we saved/invested: https://www.lisajtravels.com/
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Either you are working for the satisficaton of it (in which case how much money you have doesn't matter. Warren Buffet isn't showing up at work because he hasn't made his number) or your working for the money (you would retire tomorrow).
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

When the last kid is out of the house at age 60.

I teach at the same school that they attend and would want to stay engaged in the school and their lives at least until the last one is graduated.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

Well there is no sub 45 options, but I would do it tomorrow.

I can only imagine the beauty of waking up each morning, and having the full day to myself. I can choose to lay in bed all day, take a road trip, or crack open a 6 pack. No cutting vacations short because I need to be at work on Monday, no driving 90mph on the highway or driving all night because time is limited, not worrying about what the next email may bring.

I'm 20+ years from retirement, so its all a pipe dream :) Some day hopefully
Purelife304

Post by Purelife304 »

JLJL wrote:
Purelife304 wrote:I voted for 41-50 even though my actual response is yesterday, or possibly the day before.
This wasn't even an option.

If money were no object how come I have to slog away in the rat race for another 10 years just to answer this poll?

BTW retiring and doing something productive are not mutually exclusive.
Oh well then I must have meant the next closest option, 45-50. Thank you for the notice.
jstrazzere

Post by jstrazzere »

Yesterday
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

ASAP!
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
Garco

Post by Garco »

In my type of career, the product of my work is attributed to me (it's not given to a corporation or otherwise made anonymous). Also, I enjoy my work, and get a lot of satisfaction out of it. It's not something that I do only or mainly to make money. So as long as I could keep working productively, and maintained my health, I would continue to work, probably into my 60's if not longer. But if there comes a time when the motivation, creativity, and energy (or good health) seriously lag, it would be time to retire -- if I could afford it.

Then again, retirement isn't simply an egoistic decision for me. I have a family -- wife and children. They would be part of any decision to retire.
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

Age 55, 10 months from now.
bluelight

Post by bluelight »

I voted 56 - 60, but only because that is my age range now. Yesterday or any day within the past 2 years is really my response.
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

I said 10 months from now because I want to enjoy the count down!
Beth*

Post by Beth* »

randomguy wrote:Either you are working for the satisficaton of it (in which case how much money you have doesn't matter. Warren Buffet isn't showing up at work because he hasn't made his number) or your working for the money (you would retire tomorrow).
Some of us are conflicted and it depends upon which day you ask us!
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

I couldn't answer the poll as set up.

If you had asked me that question in my 50's (when I was already financially able to retire) I would have said 65 - 70. I enjoyed my job and was in it for the long term.

Then my company's attitude toward their employees changed for the worse (we became expendable parts that they would change out at any time if someone cheaper was available) and I retired happily at 60.

Talking to employees that are still there, I'm glad I got out when I did, even though I missed a substantial financial gain in doing so.
ShiftF5

Post by ShiftF5 »

Even though Today sounds good, I still enjoy the work,the interaction and getting paid is nice.
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

I remember my first job as a young buck, I was so thrilled that all I kept saying was "...and they pay me too!". Needless to say it didn't take long for the shine to wear off that pig. I just thank the stars my last employer was kind enough to lay me off, otherwise I might not have had the cajones to leave on my own.
DonCamillo

Post by DonCamillo »

After I found a better reason than my present job to get out of bed in the morning. Perhaps I could trade my challenging, interesting, very well paid, part time job with full benefits for an unpaid volunteer job to give me something to do and some social interaction?

Could not answer the poll, as it is already too late to retire before 70.
Les vieillards aiment à donner de bons préceptes, pour se consoler de n'être plus en état de donner de mauvais exemples. | (François, duc de La Rochefoucauld, maxim 93)
sambb

Post by sambb »

I like my work overall. I can't imagine not doing it - it is interesting and satisfying. I don't see any huge advantage to retiring.

I suppose there are professional athletes and entertainers who have more than enough money, but love their work also, so they keep on playing or working. (tom brady for example). Same goes for actors and lots of other fields.

There are probably plenty of other fields also like that.
burt

Post by burt »

hoppy08520 wrote:
Well, that didn't take long -- one minute after the starting post.

I'll second Dutch with another vote for "today".
Here's another "today". :beer

burt
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

I'd put in my two weeks notice today (and I'm late 30s).

-Steph
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

That would have happened right after graduating from high school.

Decades of work kept me from enjoying and truly living a long part of my life.

Now that I'm retired, I realize what I've been missing all those years.

I started with nothing. After all these years, I have most of it left. :wink:
If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants.
epitomist

Post by epitomist »

JDCarpenter wrote:Pure subjective preference for immediately after last kid graduated college; 51-55. Luckily, we'll probably only miss by two years or so....
I'm curious why you picked that preference - "after last kid graduated college". Mostly curious to see if I'm missing something.

Our last kid will graduate college in 16 years when I'm about 58. I can't imagine myself working full time that long. Is it just paying for college that would keep you working that long? I would think by the time most Bogleheads kids have started college that they would already have saved enough to pay for all of it.
Sibelius

Post by Sibelius »

College costs are outrageously high so I completely understand waiting to retire until the last child graduates. In my own case, I just turned sixty and our youngest child is a college sophomore. I would feel weird encouraging him to study hard at something useful while I was retired. But then, I enjoy my work even though there is often too much of it. I voted for age 61-65, which gives me a few more years to accomplish some work goals and still leave me in good health to enjoy some free time.
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

15, but might have come out of retirement someday.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

I dunno, today, but then I would start a business of some kind so not really truly retirement. But imcoulnt fear failure. My kids would still see me work hard and not think I retired, which I woukdnt want them to see at a younger age.
Xpe

Post by Xpe »

Tomorrow (28), maybe even today (28).

In reality, I would probably just quit my corporate job and start working as a rafting or climbing guide or something along those lines. I would consider this retirement, though some may argue differently.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

IRL, we have enough money for my wife to retire. But, she keeps working and it is something she wants to do. I became a SAHD a decade ago, but would have continued working if I didn't feel that, on balance, the family was better off with me at home. When I become an empty nester in a couple of years, I will do volunteer work.

It usually gets flames, so maybe I should shut up, but I find it sad that so many young people want to quit working asap.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

TomatoTomahto wrote:It usually gets flames, so maybe I should shut up, but I find it sad that so many young people want to quit working asap.
Why do you think it's sad? My dad (age 71) feels the same way but I don't get it. No one I've talked to that aspires to extreme early retirement wants/plans to sit around and be lazy all day. It's more about having the freedom to choose what to do with your time. There are plenty of ways to be productive and even useful to society without a traditional job.

-Steph
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

:thumbsup yeah, always said it would be instantaneous. Sadly, my hunting & gathering was a super slow motion process. Which gave me a greater appreciation of now doing what I want, when I want...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

If money was no object I never would have retired because I never would have gone to work in the first place. I would have been one of those spoiled brats living it up off my parents fortune. Fortunately my parents weren't rich, and I had to go to work to support myself. Now with some years under my belt I hate to think what I might have become otherwise.

But I still retired as soon as I could afford it, age 56.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

Today, but would start something else that may bring is some cash, paint a fence or two etc. That's my idea of retirement.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Sibelius wrote:College costs are outrageously high so I completely understand waiting to retire until the last child graduates. In my own case, I just turned sixty and our youngest child is a college sophomore. I would feel weird encouraging him to study hard at something useful while I was retired. But then, I enjoy my work even though there is often too much of it. I voted for age 61-65, which gives me a few more years to accomplish some work goals and still leave me in good health to enjoy some free time.
Yeah but money is no object so why is the cost of college driving your choice. When you have 100 million if Harvard goes from 60k to 200k, it doesn't chage your lifestyle. You are choosing to work because you like it (or feel it sets some example. Personally I think retiring early shows that hard work pays off:)).
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Beth* wrote:
randomguy wrote:Either you are working for the satisficaton of it (in which case how much money you have doesn't matter. Warren Buffet isn't showing up at work because he hasn't made his number) or your working for the money (you would retire tomorrow).
Some of us are conflicted and it depends upon which day you ask us!
Yep:) And there is also the whole group that likes their job but they want to do it 24 hours/week not 60. Even then though I am guessing the jobs that people find rewarding are the minority and they tend to be the higher end ones of the food chain. The architect gets to take a lot of pride in the building. I am guessing the guy that pours the concrete doesn't take quite as much. The real estate mogul enjoys his job a heck of a lot more than the property manager doing the dirty work and so on. Now there are still some intrinsic rewards (anyone feel good after clearing a driveway of snow) for menial work but they tend not to be enough to motivate people to spend 40 hours/week doing something.
midareff

Post by midareff »

If money was no object why would you work?
Xpe

Post by Xpe »

TomatoTomahto wrote: It usually gets flames, so maybe I should shut up, but I find it sad that so many young people want to quit working asap.
I wouldn't flame you, but I don't see the rationale. There are a million things I would rather do than work, so given the opportunity I would spend my time doing those instead of working. Do you find it sad that young people have so many things they would rather do than work? Or that they would choose to do the things they would prefer to do, given the opportunity.

If it is the former, I would say it is sad you don't have things you would rather do than work. If the latter, I would say it seems like a fairly logical decision to do what you want to do when you can, no point in being a martyr.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Another vote for today. Early today.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

I worked hard to get where I am and I am only 34. I would not quit tomorrow. I would cut back to working two or three days a week to feel like I had some purpose in life. Probably retire completely after a decade or so of that. I imagine golfing and sitting on a beach every day would get boring after a while.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Xpe wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote: It usually gets flames, so maybe I should shut up, but I find it sad that so many young people want to quit working asap.
I wouldn't flame you, but I don't see the rationale. There are a million things I would rather do than work, so given the opportunity I would spend my time doing those instead of working. Do you find it sad that young people have so many things they would rather do than work? Or that they would choose to do the things they would prefer to do, given the opportunity.

If it is the former, I would say it is sad you don't have things you would rather do than work. If the latter, I would say it seems like a fairly logical decision to do what you want to do when you can, no point in being a martyr.
Well, of the two choices, I'd have to say the former. After I became a SAHD, I enjoyed starting and running a business, writing a book, being a more involved parent, etc. Maybe I enjoyed them more than work, except that I guess they are a form of work. I still missed work (ie, where someone gives me a paycheck), which included being on large teams collaborating to create a product better than any of us could have done alone.

It is difficult for me to explain why I find it sad. For the record, I'm far from a martyr -- even in the first-world :D
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

I'm dismayed at all the people answering "today." I would give notice today, but I'd expect to stick around for two weeks to finish what I'm working on.
Clearly_Irrational

Post by Clearly_Irrational »

Pretty much immediately. Depending on how much money I had and the chance of ever needing to go back to work I might give two weeks notice or just walk out the door.

The first six months I'd like to do nothing and lots of it. Sleep, read, video games, lounge around and watch TV, maximize my sloth. After that I'd probably want to travel for a year or two, then I'd probably need to figure out what I'm going to do with the rest of my life.
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

Today. Currently in the 35-39 age group, so I selected that. Okay, maybe I would give my two weeks' notice, but I'll still be in that age group.
Retirement investing is a marathon.