Voya 401k down

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
beyou

Voya 401k down

Post by beyou »

Have not been able to login to my Voya 401k
account for a few days. My employer was aware
and notified employees that Voya is working on a problem
that prevents login. Just wondering if this affects
other Voya Financial 401k users from other employers ?

Before I get comments about why this matters,
I don't check daily. Just trying to record latest transactions
into Quicken. Not urgent, just wondering how widespread ?
8foot7

Re: Voya 401k down

Post by 8foot7 »

are you checking to see how much orange money you have? :D
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

Probably employer specific. I have Voya as well so I just checked if I have any problem seeing my account. I don't.
JW
Retired at Last
Topic Author
beyou

Post by beyou »

8foot7 wrote:are you checking to see how much orange money you have? :D
Not talking about ING Direct savings account.
This is my 401k.

As an IT person, I can't think of any reason this should go on for days.
Total incompetence on the part of Voya.
Not that I have a choice to change to another 401k, but NO CHANCE I would
buy any other financial product from them. Would close my account
if I did still have an old ING Direct account. I have never seen anyone
other than the US Gov (Treasury Direct) so completely botch their website
and online access to financial accounts.
Last edited by beyou on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mistike

Post by mistike »

Mine works this morning.
Hug401k

Post by Hug401k »

I've heard of this if the record keeper is switching to a new record keeping system. But even then, I think they usually give you a read only view.
tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat »

I've had ING and now Voya for years. Every now and then they do some maintenance but I'm not day trading in my 401k so I haven't ever noticed if it has been down for a while.

Just checked and mine is working.
MayQueen

Post by MayQueen »

Long time lurker but I just registered for an account to be able to reply and say THANK YOU for posting this thread. I have been very concerned since last night when I tried to log into my Voya 401k account and received a "Login failed!" message even though I knew I was using the correct login credentials. I feared someone had hacked my account but was able to reset it. I was going to call Voya on Tuesday to ask if they had any record of someone changing my username/password in the last few weeks, but it sounds like it may just have been their own technical incompetence.

Out of all the financial institutions I have accounts with, Voya's website is undoubtedly the worst. Terrible security policies, terrible website, and after successfully resetting my account login I was even more concerned because I did not receive a single email confirming that my information had been reset. I don't see any security alert email options in the user preferences. When I leave my current employer I will be so glad to roll my 401k over away from Voya.
mistike

Post by mistike »

MayQueen wrote:Long time lurker but I just registered for an account to be able to reply and say THANK YOU for posting this thread. I have been very concerned since last night when I tried to log into my Voya 401k account and received a "Login failed!" message even though I knew I was using the correct login credentials. I feared someone had hacked my account but was able to reset it. I was going to call Voya on Tuesday to ask if they had any record of someone changing my username/password in the last few weeks, but it sounds like it may just have been their own technical incompetence.

Out of all the financial institutions I have accounts with, Voya's website is undoubtedly the worst. Terrible security policies, terrible website, and after successfully resetting my account login I was even more concerned because I did not receive a single email confirming that my information had been reset. I don't see any security alert email options in the user preferences. When I leave my current employer I will be so glad to roll my 401k over away from Voya.
Are you using the website, or the app ? I know some people who have problems login in with the iOS app but can log in without problems on the website.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

Yes, I had the same issue on Friday. Got home after more than a few beers so was at first afraid that I was losing my mind. The next morning I presumed that I had been locked out due to failed drunk login passwords. Then I called to make sure the money was still there, it is...

Funny how giant corporations could have such a limited website... Voya and my smaller group, CIRS, has always had an opaque and difficult to use website.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
Topic Author
beyou

Post by beyou »

tainted-meat wrote:I've had ING and now Voya for years. Every now and then they do some maintenance but I'm not day trading in my 401k so I haven't ever noticed if it has been down for a while.

Just checked and mine is working.
Any firm worth it's salt would put up a maintenance schedule of planned outages well ahead of time,
on the site and by email to users.

This was an unplanned outage, and my employer notified us that Voya acknowledged same,
and had no ETA to fix the problem. Inspires real confidence that my retirement savings
are in good hands.

Monday morning and still not working, at least 3 days since I became aware of the problem.
Guess their IT does not work weekends. Anyone in IT out there that would not work over the
weekend when all your customers are locked out from your website ?

Beware of Voya...there is something very wrong with this firm.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

blevine wrote: Any firm worth it's salt would put up a maintenance schedule of planned outages well ahead of time,
on the site and by email to users.

This was an unplanned outage, and my employer notified us that Voya acknowledged same,
and had no ETA to fix the problem. Inspires real confidence that my retirement savings
are in good hands.

Monday morning and still not working, at least 3 days since I became aware of the problem.
Guess their IT does not work weekends. Anyone in IT out there that would not work over the
weekend when all your customers are locked out from your website ?

Beware of Voya...there is something very wrong with this firm.
You made me check my Voya 401k again this morning. All is still normal in my account. Maybe this problem is limited to just your employer? Have you called Voya and inquired?
JW
Retired at Last
Topic Author
beyou

Post by beyou »

On this thread, others reported having the same problem.
My employer is not so large I would bet they are working for my firm.
My employer already told us Voya is aware of the problem and has no ETA to fix.
Considered calling them but seems pointless if they already communicated this status.
Pizzasteve510

Post by Pizzasteve510 »

Removed personal information
Last edited by Pizzasteve510 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

Still not working, has anyone been able to get back in after having this problem?
Topic Author
beyou

Post by beyou »

My employer was notified by Voya of a fix, and it seems to have worked.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

Was not working this morning for me, called the 1-800 number and was able to speak to a person, he admitted that there was a problem (after trying to get me to talk to a financial adviser!) but had no reply to my query about putting a notification up on the website. "Unfortunately that is the only website we have." Anyway, he said try later today and as of now, it is working again.

Not horrible, but could have been better. 5 days downtime is pretty long for a major company website.