Free TaxAct software

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
tc101

Free TaxAct software

Post by tc101 »

There is a free downloadable version of TaxAct at Amazon. Link is below. People complain that they make you pay for filing a state return, but in Georgia because of my age I don't have to file a state return. Is there any other catch?

http://www.amazon.com/TaxACT%C2%AE-2014 ... axAct+2015
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Free TaxAct software

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (taxes).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JD

Post by JD »

TaxAct is a fine software; but I don't understand why you want to get it through Amazon. You will probably do better just doing your taxes online:
http://www.taxact.com
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I didn't know about the online site. Thanks for the info. I guess I need to use the Deluxe version for $12.99 to import my data from last year, and I assume it will import data from Turbo Tax. Is that correct?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
xyz12

Post by xyz12 »

tc101 wrote:I didn't know about the online site. Thanks for the info. I guess I need to use the Deluxe version for $12.99 to import my data from last year, and I assume it will import data from Turbo Tax. Is that correct?
Yes -- I just switched to TaxAct and and everything imported perfectly from my 2013 TurboTax return.
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

Great. I'm going with TaxAct then.
trasmuss

Post by trasmuss »

Just go to www.taxact.com . I've used it for several years and have been happy.

I pay since I like the feature of automatically importing previous year's information and I do a state return. The prices are very reasonable. E filing for federal is included for their bundle but you have to pay extra to e-file the state.
stinkycat

Post by stinkycat »

I have used taxact for a few years. The only annoyance are the constant popups asking you to upgrade, but other than that it is hard to beat free.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Probably the same software you would get at their website :happy

"Low-cost state return available"-14.99

http://www.taxact.com/taxes-online/free-online-tax.asp
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

It is time consuming to type in all the 1099-div and 1099-b info from Vanguard. Turbo tax imports this automatically. Tax Act makes you type it in yourself. I am half way through so I will stick with Tax Act but I will probably go back to Turbo Tax next year.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

Next year, Tax Act will bring forward all of this year's info. So for the 1099s, you'll only have to enter the dollar amount.
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

Next year, Tax Act will bring forward all of this year's info. So for the 1099s, you'll only have to enter the dollar amount.
Good to know.
batpot

Post by batpot »

Ultimate is still $12...includes state
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=157656

I'd be weary of the online site...they could be hacked like turbotax.
Last edited by batpot on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This is my 2nd year of TaxACT and can confirm the information was carried over. All of the values were set to zero, I just needed to enter the right amounts.

I really like the clean user interface. Forms view saves me time when I need to copy-n-paste info across 1099 forms.

BTW, I forgot I needed Schedule D this year. No problem, it's included. No muss, no fuss.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I paid the $12 so I can check out all the features.
When I click "Forms and topics" it gives me a list of forms, but it won't let me see all the forms at once.
When I click on schedule B or D it just takes me back to the questions but won't show me the form.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I have the desktop version. In the Forms Explorer, I see a left side "folder" view and right-side form. There is a drop-down list where you can pick whether it was a form received (1099, etc.) or all forms. Maybe you're missing this selection?

- Use Form entry method
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

Made the switch from TT this year to TaxAct, was paying $40/year for TT and dropped $20 for The Ultimate Bundle this year. I would have just used the Free Version, but since I was gonna have to pay for State anyways, went with the bundled price. I switched for two reasons: I hated that I had to E-File last year on TT in order to get the Direct Deposit for my state, and I do not like to frequent businesses who decide to raise prices for features when alternatives are available for the same lower prices they previously offered.

What I expected:

All the reviews stated that TaxAct was recommended for its price being "Cheap", and that the interface is not as user-friendly as competitors. So I expected the "JV" version of TT. That's fine, my taxes are fairly simply with itemized deductions for my mortgage and a few other deductions here and there.

The interview process would not be as user-friendly, as the screenshots really only led me to believe that the tabs for federal and state are what you get, and within each you only get sub-categories for which you basically select yourself and do all the work. In other words, where TT allowed you to select and choose OR interview, TaxAct only allowed you to select topics from a list without any interview guidance.

The customer service would be non-existent, as this is what many reviews had said about it in comparison to TT

What I found using TaxAct:

If someone had just handed me this program and said it was TT, I would not have really known the difference. Again, fairly simply return, but I also easily found the areas I have used TT for in the past like ETF buy/sell sections, Sale of Collectibles sections, and Savings Bond redemption. Had I needed to document these this year, I would have been able to with ease.

I had one issue where I had to manually input mortgage points. I e-mailed customer service and was given the correct process the same day via e-mail.

Unless TaxAct raises prices substantially, or they decide to change some elements of its usage, I will be using it in the future. In fact, I referred it to a friend who used it to do his taxes this year as well.
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

LadyGeek wrote:I have the desktop version. In the Forms Explorer, I see a left side "folder" view and right-side form. There is a drop-down list where you can pick whether it was a form received (1099, etc.) or all forms. Maybe you're missing this selection?
I'm using the online version and it is different. Thanks for trying to help.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I also used the downloadable version of taxact (free).
I filed online a bit over a week ago and my modest refund hit my checking account yesterday.

My return is reasonably simple nowadays with the exception of having seven 1099-Rs to deal with. I initially just entered the two relevant numbers from each of them (gross taxable amount and amount withheld). 1099s are NOT sent in with your paper form so taxact seemed happy with this shortcut and computed the remainder of my 1040, no problem.

But then at the end, I selected free online filing of my 1040 and taxact made me go back and fill in all the blank fields on the seven 1099s (payer's name, tax ID, address, etc).
Grumble, grumble.

Next year, I'll pay the $12 and see if it can import those forms painlessly...
Attempted new signature...
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

tc101 wrote:I paid the $12 so I can check out all the features.
When I click "Forms and topics" it gives me a list of forms, but it won't let me see all the forms at once.
When I click on schedule B or D it just takes me back to the questions but won't show me the form.
To see schedules/individual forms, on the right side you should see "Help" "Forms" "Images" "Tools" next to one another. If you click "Forms", it will give you the complete list of forms.
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

To see schedules/individual forms, on the right side you should see "Help" "Forms" "Images" "Tools" next to one another. If you click "Forms", it will give you the complete list of forms.
Thanks. Now it works fine. Last night when I clicked "Forms" and then view, it was taking me back to the questions. Maybe it was because I hadn't saved it, or maybe they fixed a bug over night. Anyway, now all is well.