Filed your 2014 Federal Taxes yet?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
crg11

Filed your 2014 Federal Taxes yet?

Post by crg11 »

Just a few minutes ago I filed my tax return for 2014. I had all of the needed forms, so I said why not? January 31st is the earliest I've ever been able to do it. A nice motivation this time was a decent refund (overestimated my withholding last year).

When will you do yours?
Sidney

Re: Filed your 2014 Federal Taxes yet?

Post by Sidney »

Normally I start mine in mid-September.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

No.

Direct import forms not yet available and won't be until mid-February for most of my providers. While I have hard copy of the necessary forms, I'm too lazy to do a lot of typing. Additionally, the import eliminates any possibility of missing/mis-keying input.

- Ron
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I usually wait until the end of summer. By then the chance of corrected statements and significant software updates is low. My trigger is usually when the guys come to close our pool.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Toons

Post by Toons »

April :happy
I owe money
Tn.Taxes 6% of investment income over 2500 MFJ. :shock:
Last edited by Toons on Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
mistike

Post by mistike »

I did last week, and got my returns in the bank yesterday. I didn't have anything else for 2014 than my W2, HSA through my employer, and a couple of savings accounts, so it's pretty straightforward and I didn't have to wait for forms to come in.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

I wish. I still have two W-2s (for me) that need correction and DH's W-2 for the work he did last Janauary hasn't arrived. :x
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I owe, so there is no point in filing before the end of March. I also have no reason to delay until the fall.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

No. i won't receive my last form needed to file until around March 15 (a charitable pooled income fund). Other than that, it is ready to go.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Got my W-2 in the mail yesterday, so will finish up today, usings free TaxAct software for first time.
I'm close to an AGI income limit on something, so am more eager than usual to get this done...
Attempted new signature...
sambb

Post by sambb »

when are 1099 miscs all mailed out? i usually start after receiving all those
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Still missing some needed information from VBS specifically on ETFs. Got started on Turbo-tax and saved. Usually submit taxes in mid to late February.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

For anyone with a taxable brokerage account, I'd wait until at least the end of March. They are getting better, but are notorious for amended Forms 1099.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

My wife is a partner in an S-Corp and its taxes have to be done before we can do ours. We usually file close to April 15.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Got mine done a couple days ago. Mine is not very complex, I have all the tax forms, and TT agrees with my Excel numbers. So I'm not worried.

My problem is in doing my MIL's taxes. Hers is even simpler than mine but she is a champion procrastinator, and I have to nag her for months to give me the statements. Her income is so low she never owes anything, which is a good thing because we often miss the due dates.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Leesbro63,
Does that include taxable Vanguard mutual funds? This is the first year that I have invested excess cash in three Vanguard taxable funds and I already have my Form 1099-B for the sale of one and 1099-DIV for the dividends and capital gain distribution on the others. I have done my return on the TaxWise software program and have a $10 federal refund coming back and owe $35 on the Tennessee Hall Tax. With those amounts I am not in any rush to file.
Tom D.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I know I will end up owing money at the end, so no. No reason to rush for me. Daddy's little $1,000 tax credits are growing up...
TIAX

Post by TIAX »

Don't forget to sell your used Turbotax CDs on ebay (noting how many returns were filed with it).
avenger

Post by avenger »

1099 I received from a company I consult for was wrong. Would also result in overcontribution to my solo401k. Waiting to get a new form. Otherwise ready to click submit.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
Novine

Post by Novine »

I see that Free Fillable Forms is now open for business which means I can get started on them.
bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz »

still waiting on Vanguard brokerage which is mid Febuary.
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

Still waiting on Vanguard 1099-R. Will not be out til sometime in February. A little annoying since that is all I need to file.

I got my Fidelity 1099R in Mid January.

Come on Vanguard get with it.

Dan999
Dan999
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

Dan999 wrote:Still waiting on Vanguard 1099-R. Will not be out til sometime in February. A little annoying since that is all I need to file.

I got my Fidelity 1099R in Mid January.

Come on Vanguard get with it.

Dan999
got mine a week ago , they're also online - filed yesterday, Fed. & State , Turbo , might be a record for me .
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Still waiting on 1099-misc. I got one and thought it was wrong, but they were right.
Two more to go.

The earlier you file the safer you are from tax ID theft...just sayin...
midareff

Post by midareff »

Waiting on the Foreign Tax paid for VSS. It will be mid to late February. VG doers not do a good job with this one.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

midareff wrote:Waiting on the Foreign Tax paid for VSS. It will be mid to late February. VG doers not do a good job with this one.
Doesn't this come on the brokerage statement? Most broker statements don't go out until the end of Feb. VG isn't any different from others I've seen.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

My apologies to Vanguard.
I did a direct transfer to Fidelity and assumed I would get a 1099r for this.
The Vanguard rep just told me that if it goes directly, then I will not receive a 1099r.
Just keep learning everyday.
Dan 999
Dan999
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

Still missing a K-1 and other forms, so can't file yet. Also missing form from OPM--come on US Govt for pension distribution, get it together! Have to complete a workbook and take it in to our CPA once I get all the forms that are missing. We have the CPA do the returns, as it's one headache neither H nor I enjoy and prefer delegating.
Blues

Post by Blues »

E-filed last Saturday, the 24th. The state was paid with the e-file and the federal refund was received yesterday after (only) 6 days.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I'm still waiting on my 1099 for my FERS annuity. It may be on the OPM website, but I am not sure. Otherwise, I am good to go.

I'm curious about the 1098 I received for the mortgage on the condo I purchased last year. It doesn't look like a form like my W-2 or a 1099, which is what I had expected.
Gordon
mapleosb

Post by mapleosb »

Blues wrote:E-filed last Saturday, the 24th. The state was paid with the e-file and the federal refund was received yesterday after (only) 6 days.
That is really funny, I e-filed mine on the 24th and had the refund deposited on the 29th. After listening to the IRS Commissioner's comments about delays, I figured we wouldn't see it for a few months. Nice surprise anyway.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

HIinvestor,
I thought I heard something a while back that some federal agencies were not mailing documents and they had to retrieved online. This is only a gut feeling I have right now and am trying to confirm it somewhere. Maybe someone else will provide thoughts.
Tom D.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Ron wrote:No.

Direct import forms not yet available and won't be until mid-February for most of my providers. While I have hard copy of the necessary forms, I'm too lazy to do a lot of typing. Additionally, the import eliminates any possibility of missing/mis-keying input.

- Ron
Why is that so? I tried to import my W-2, but every time I clicked on "import" in TurboTax, it brought up a blank form for me to fill in. I'm not sure if I can import my W-2 anyway, because I retired early last year from the federal agency for which I worked and that issued the W-2, and I think I no longer have access rights.

I have a 1098 to import and several 1099s, as well, but I may just fill in the forms.

(Can the 1099-Gs be imported?)
Gordon
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

tomd37 wrote:HIinvestor,
I thought I heard something a while back that some federal agencies were not mailing documents and they had to retrieved online. This is only a gut feeling I have right now and am trying to confirm it somewhere. Maybe someone else will provide thoughts.
The TSP mailed me a 1099 for the RMD I took last November. The SSA issued me a 1099 for the benefits it paid me. I still have not received a 1099 for my FERS annuity payments.
Gordon
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Still waiting for my final (ever) W2 from my employer. I've always thought it strange that this highest of high tech megacorps does not provide W2s that are downloadable into tax software. Guess I'll also need to wait for paperwork from new Vanguard Brokerage acct, too, but I already know what will be on it. I have gotten all my paperwork in order and will be ready to get started as soon as the W2 shows up.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

TIAX wrote:Don't forget to sell your used Turbotax CDs on ebay (noting how many returns were filed with it).
I think installing on a different computer resets the counter (though Intuit may wish it didn't) since it generates a new UUID.
Topic Author
crg11

Post by crg11 »

mapleosb wrote:
Blues wrote:E-filed last Saturday, the 24th. The state was paid with the e-file and the federal refund was received yesterday after (only) 6 days.
That is really funny, I e-filed mine on the 24th and had the refund deposited on the 29th. After listening to the IRS Commissioner's comments about delays, I figured we wouldn't see it for a few months. Nice surprise anyway.
Great, I hope mine arrives that quick.
john94549

Post by john94549 »

Hm, the second week of October? I so love extensions.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

I usually fill out my tax forms in February, but unless I have a large refund, I'll wait in case I receive a late correction. (I have had errors on some of my Vanguard brokerage tax statements.) And I set up my withholding to avoid large refunds; the only large refund I have received recently was the result of making a large charitable contribution in December when there was no time to adjust my withholding.
Wiki David Grabiner
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I have gotten a corrected W2 as late as August.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Starting tonight. Mine are really simple.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
travellight

Post by travellight »

Likely in August to be a safe procrastinator.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Finished and filed today!
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

gkaplan wrote:
tomd37 wrote:HIinvestor,
The TSP mailed me a 1099 for the RMD I took last November. The SSA issued me a 1099 for the benefits it paid me. I still have not received a 1099 for my FERS annuity payments.
1099 for FERS annuity - pulled up a soft copy on line the 23rd, hard copy arrived by mail the 28th. May be agency specific though.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I am going to check online.
Gordon
BostonBoy

Post by BostonBoy »

I got the last needed papers today. Taxes are e-filed using TurboTax. Earliest I've ever got them done!
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

I'm surprised to see so many Bogleheads to be in such a rush to file. After all, I know you didn't give Uncle Sam an interest free loan. I always try to owe a little bit each year, then I can wait to the end of March to even think about filing.
dewey

Post by dewey »

I wait until the end of February when I know I have all my papers. I used to be in a hurry--then had to make changes after filing once. So now--just as with watching what the market does--I'm patient.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

All done :beer
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

tomd37 wrote:Leesbro63,
Does that include taxable Vanguard mutual funds? This is the first year that I have invested excess cash in three Vanguard taxable funds and I already have my Form 1099-B for the sale of one and 1099-DIV for the dividends and capital gain distribution on the others. I have done my return on the TaxWise software program and have a $10 federal refund coming back and owe $35 on the Tennessee Hall Tax. With those amounts I am not in any rush to file.
I've had Vanguard mutual funds for years and I do not ever remember a corrected Form 1099... So you're probably good. That being said, if you own the Vanguard REIT fund, they generally don't issue the 1099-Div for that until sometime in February....later than the rest of their funds.