Thinking of switching from Turbo-Tax

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Thinking of switching from Turbo-Tax

Post by tennisplyr »

Have been using TT for the last 3 or 4 years but am tired of their high costs. Has anyone switched from them? Am curious who you are now using....was it easy to make the transition? I use TT premier, I like that they pull in all of my investment info from Fidelity and VG. I'm 65, wife and I are both retired. PS, I'm not afraid to spend for service but wonder if I am being wasteful. Thanks.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
flyingbison

Re: Thinking of switching from Turbo-Tax

Post by flyingbison »

I've used TaxAct a couple of times in the past, but clicking through all the questions drive me nuts, so most years I just use Free Fillable Forms.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Is TaxAct pretty similar to TurboTax? I really like TurboTax but am wondering if it's worth the extra ~$80 for me.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

I switched from TT to H&R Block this year and so far it looks very good at about half the cost but check back in April for a final report.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
Sbashore

Post by Sbashore »

I've been using Turbo Tax for many years. I'm switching to Tax Act this year.
Steve | Semper Fi
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

I've only every used TaxAct for personal and client returns, so I can't compare it to others. Yes, the interviews are always a little annoying, but I assume that's standard in every similar software package? But I usually fill the information directly into the forms first, and that gets me 95% there. There are some pieces of information which can only be properly entered through the interview process (i.e. in the past, backdoor Roth's were one such example).

But if you've already entered the information from received documents and worked through the forms as if you were doing them "by hand", then the interview process goes quickly. I also find that the interviews serve as a good "double-check" of my work. Occasionally I'll have missed entering some item, or sometimes the interview ends up changing my initial results, which causes me to re-evaluate my approach and figure out who is right, me or them. Remember, there are indeed errors in tax software, so don't always assume it is you who is wrong. :D
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
investor1

Post by investor1 »

The closest thing you'll find is H&R Block. TT is the best at simplifying the process. H&R Block isn't far off. TaxAct is good for people that are looking for less of the simplified wizard like experience and want to have the freedom to mess with more line items on the tax form.

In the past, I've used both TT and TaxAct to do my taxes just to double check everything. I go with whatever is cheaper from there. Given TT's cost hike, I think I'll switch to H&R Block.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

This might also be a reason to switch but I wouldn't assume the other companies don't do this too.
Intuit (INTU), the company that makes TurboTax, maintains a database containing users’ Social Security numbers, names and other personal data — even for customers using the desktop version of the software who save their files on their own hard drives.
http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/201 ... r-secrets/
mrspremise

Post by mrspremise »

I opened a State Farm checking account (min balance is $25) for the TurboTax discounts. Premiere is $20 for me.
sfnerd

Post by sfnerd »

I've used TaxAct every year, except last year, when I used TurboTax. This year I switched back to TaxAct.

TaxAct is much simpler, and way cheaper. Even when I had my own business, investments, etc., TaxAct always did everything I needed it to.

The only thing TaxAct is problematic with is MLPs. These get a bit tricky. Now that I understand them, though, it's back to TaxAct. 20 bucks for their most full-featured version with support.
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

sfnerd wrote:I've used TaxAct every year, except last year, when I used TurboTax. This year I switched back to TaxAct.

TaxAct is much simpler, and way cheaper. Even when I had my own business, investments, etc., TaxAct always did everything I needed it to.

The only thing TaxAct is problematic with is MLPs. These get a bit tricky. Now that I understand them, though, it's back to TaxAct. 20 bucks for their most full-featured version with support.
Does Taxact allow you to directly import income from Fidelity, Vanguard, etc?
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

We'll see how things go this year, but we switched to H&R Block Deluxe + State. We have things that would necessitate schedules B and D (so Turbotax would now require Premier), and will probably have Schedule C as well (for small jobs with no real deductible things- no guidance needed, really) and so would need Home and Business. Meanwhile, H&R Block Deluxe is supposed to still do those things, and Newegg had a 50% off deal earlier this month. Will comment or make a new post once I've actually gotten all of our forms and filed.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I got TaxAct free download. Then I got TurboTax free download. Price is the same. I guess until TurboTax raises their prices, I will continue to use them.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
harryw

Post by harryw »

tennisplyr wrote: Does Taxact allow you to directly import income from Fidelity, Vanguard, etc?
No, only from Betterment, Form8949, GainsKeeper, Raymond James, ShareBuilder and TD Ameritrade. For all others you have to download a CVS file and then import that into TaxACT.
Blues

Post by Blues »

I switched from TT to TaxAct years ago. I rarely if ever use the "interview" process and opt to directly input data to the applicable forms instead. ("Quick Entry" to forms is available on both the desktop and online versions.)

I have never had any reason to regret my decision to make the switch.
Toons

Post by Toons »

I have been a TaxAct convert for years ,switching from Turbo-Tax.
Having been on this board for several years now,I can say with certainty that I have seen more
"I'm switching to TaxAct or HRblock " posts this year than EVER before. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Quotia

Post by Quotia »

I switched to TaxAct last year. Last year I actually ran my taxes with both TT and TaxAct to compare, and the results were the same, so I filed with TaxAct. I don't import - I like to enter everything myself - to that functionality was not a consideration for me.

This year, I'm sticking with TaxAct.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

BigFoot48 wrote:This might also be a reason to switch but I wouldn't assume the other companies don't do this too.
Intuit (INTU), the company that makes TurboTax, maintains a database containing users’ Social Security numbers, names and other personal data — even for customers using the desktop version of the software who save their files on their own hard drives.
http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/201 ... r-secrets/
Virtually all tax preparers/e-filers (HRB, TT, Tax Act, etc are required by IRS regulations to retain this data until the end of the calendar year. If you filed online and wanted to amend your return, would you want to input the data all over again?

Good info on the regulations at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1345.pdf

You' be surprised at the number of people who request copies of previous year returns
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

Blues wrote:I switched from TT to TaxAct years ago. I rarely if ever use the "interview" process and opt to directly input data to the applicable forms instead. ("Quick Entry" to forms is available on both the desktop and online versions.)
Just curious - what's the advantage of doing it that way, instead of just using Free Fillable Forms?
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Its a misnomer to think you can key directly on the forms using tax software like TT or Tax Act - you usually cannot. For example go to Form 1040 and try to key on Line 7 - Wages. It will only let you key there if you're overriding a value and do not want to efile. What it wants is for you to fill out a worksheet/form for each W2 and it will calculate the total and put on Line 7. I've never used fillable forms but I'm guessing you actually key on the form itself. That means you've added up all your W2 forms and put in the total. That's how math errors happen. Of course you can miskey a number on any form/worksheet but the software program prevents a lot of math errors and transposition errors when moving a number from one form to another.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

For those of you who use Tax Act, do any of you volunteer in the TCE or VITA programs which use the TaxWise program? If so, how does Tax Act compare with the TaxWise program? I have used the TaxWise program for the past eleven years and find it a very good program and easy to use in all the situations that are in-scope for TCE and VITA.
Tom D.
harryw

Post by harryw »

flyingbison wrote:
Blues wrote:I switched from TT to TaxAct years ago. I rarely if ever use the "interview" process and opt to directly input data to the applicable forms instead. ("Quick Entry" to forms is available on both the desktop and online versions.)
Just curious - what's the advantage of doing it that way, instead of just using Free Fillable Forms?
- Instantaneous recalculation,
- warning if you are about to overwrite a value that comes from another form
- info on where a field value comes from
- ability to flag a value as an estimate
- attaching additional supporting information to a field value
- easier navigation between forms
- error checking
Blues

Post by Blues »

flyingbison wrote:
Not sure if I understand your question (since I'm not familiar with the free fillable forms) but I'll try to explain my process.

I first import relevant data and forms from the prior year's return.

Once I receive my 1099's and any other required forms, I input the necessary info into the same "documents received" on the app.
(This usually consists of just a few line items and answers. The payer, EIN, and all other background info is automatically imported into the document if it is one which I filed the prior year for that entity.)

The data I input into the form is sent to all other applicable federal forms and schedules as well as my state return which is prepared at the same time (for the most part).

Once I'm done with the federal documents I add some required state info regarding exemptions and credits as necessary, run the "audit" for errors or omissions (for both federal and state) and e-file.

If there's an easier and more expedient way I haven't found it yet. And the price is right. YMMV, of course.
coop

Post by coop »

I own an older MacBook, circa 2007, as my only computer. For many years I had been a loyal TurboTax customer. A couple of years ago TurboTax, without any warning or notification, changed their software so that it would no longer run on the Mac operating system that I have. I didn't want to do my taxes online and have all my personal information captured by TurboTax. I cannot upgrade to another Mac OS. So I was faced with having to buy a new computer in order to retain my privilege of buying TurboTax's product.

As a result, two years ago I discovered IRS's fillable forms. That, combined with the fact that I have taken the time to learn the basics of individual taxes, and have downloaded and read the appropriate IRS publications, combined with the fact that I have a fairly simple tax situation each year that doesn't change much, and I find that I have no need for tax software. In fact, it is much, much easier just using IRS fillable forms than going through TurboTax's cumbersome interview process, along with their plethora of up-sell ads.

It helps that I live in Texas, which has no state income taxes. Yes, one can make math errors, but I compensate by using Excel to enter some of the data, which I save as backup. For example, in years that I itemize deductions, I simply do an Excel sheet that lists all of my charitable contributions for which I have receipts. I try also to manage my withholding throughout the year to pretty close to a zero-pay or zero-refund situation. I also don't mind printing 3-4 pages of forms and dropping it in the mail. In summary, it's not that difficult to do without tax software.

My tax situation has not always been this simple, so I respect and understand the need for tax software for those who have a somewhat complicated situation. But with simple wage income and itemized deductions that consist of property taxes, mortgage interest, and charitable contributions, it's just not that hard to use the fillable IRS forms. Had TurboTax not done all they could to fire me as a customer, I'd still be taking twice as long and spending an extra $50 or so on their product. Happily, I found a much better alternative at a much better price.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

Looks like TT has seen the error of their ways. Having used H&R a bit more I think I can safely say "I won't be going back to TT".
Amid a continuing uproar, the maker of TurboTax tax-preparation software said Thursday it would reverse changes in its products that forced some customers to pay more to prepare 2014 tax returns.

Intuit plans to reverse the changes next year, and also said it would shield some customers from or compensate them for additional costs incurred this year.

The company’s response is its latest step toward appeasing infuriated customers using TurboTax desktop software, many of whom have used the products for decades.
http://blogs.wsj.com/totalreturn/2015/0 ... _yourmoney
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

BigFoot48 wrote:Having used H&R a bit more I think I can safely say "I won't be going back to TT".
Same here. I used TurboTax Deluxe for more than a decade, and rejected their demand I upgrade to Premier to continue. This year's return is going quite well in H&R Block Deluxe—at one third the price.

-Marylander1
SGM

Post by SGM »

I have used H&R Block Premium with Business for many years. I switched when Turbo Tax required too much personal information one year. The price was less and it seemed to have similar results. I never E-file. Recently I have had free copies of Turbo Tax but still prefer paying for H&R Block software.