Yet another online banking thread

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
bogleviewer

Yet another online banking thread

Post by bogleviewer »

I've narrowed down my search to Capital One 360 and Ally.

Ally has better rates and seemingly better customer service. The only down side I see right now is that they only store 13 months worth of transactions and statements online. They also don't include check images on statements for you to download.

I'm not sure if Capital One 360 has more of a repository OR if check images are on statements, but if they do it may be worth the slightly lower rate than what Ally offers.

Anyone comment on the interface, whether check images are on statements, etc with Capital One 360 and Ally?

Anything SPECIFIC you enjoy about one or the other?
Anything SPECIFIC you would like to see improved upon about one or the other?

:) :)
MarginalCost

Re: Yet another online banking thread

Post by MarginalCost »

I use Ally and have never had a bad experience with them. Everything works great.

One specific point to clear up though is that Ally does make images of checks you write available for download after processing. If your friends says they don't, have them, click on the blue check image in their account summary to see.
Topic Author
bogleviewer

Post by bogleviewer »

MarginalCost wrote:I use Ally and have never had a bad experience with them. Everything works great.

One specific point to clear up though is that Ally does make images of checks you write available for download after processing. If your friends says they don't, have them, click on the blue check image in their account summary to see.
What about on monthly statements that you download for your record?
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I have accounts with both. I've been with Ally for a decade and think they are fantastic. Their rates are great and customer service is available 24/7 (and is usually pretty good at getting issues resolved should they arise). Their website is designed simply and it is easy to find information. The daily limit on how much you can transfer in/out of the account is high and processing times on transactions are very good as well. We use Ally mainly for our savings but have found it useful to be able to write checks from this account from time to time.

We have 4 Capital One accounts (individual checking and savings accounts for both wife and me). We opened these for a Black Friday bonus offer a couple of months ago. We had to deposit a small amount into each account for the bonus. It was an easy $400 ($100 per account). Capital One is fine so far but I don't see any advantage over Ally, especially since they have a slightly lower rate. I also transferred $50k from wife's Roth IRA and $50k from my Roth IRA to Capital One and collected another $600 from them recently ($300 in each Roth account). They offer great bonuses and that has been effective in getting them our business. However, we will likely close the accounts with Capital One eventually as we have not been persuaded to keep our accounts with them.
hmw

Post by hmw »

You can download check images on ally.
harryw

Post by harryw »

In case you weren't aware of it - Capital One is one of the few banks that don't charge foreign transaction fees, which was the biggest reason for me to get an account with them. If you do a lot of international travel you definitely should keep that in mind.
BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan »

harryw wrote:In case you weren't aware of it - Capital One is one of the few banks that don't charge foreign transaction fees, which was the biggest reason for me to get an account with them. If you do a lot of international travel you definitely should keep that in mind.
I have a Capital One Visa Card and am currently using it in the Bahamas. No foreign transaction fees! - But Ally is my bank of choice for Savings Accounts.
Krischi

Post by Krischi »

One negative about Capital One is that they still don't offer two factor authentication. For me that is a deal breaker. Ally has it.
jmg229

Post by jmg229 »

I have had my checking/savings at Capital One (formerly ING) and CDs at Ally. I like Capital One's interface better, though that may just be my being used to it. I found that customer service was easier to reach and very quickly got me to a human being who treated me like a human being at Capital One. I also like the multiple savings accounts at Capital One (since I kind of envelope system non-regular expenses and I like having lots of little things to manage).
terran

Post by terran »

I have both as well. I use Ally as the primary. You can download check images as mentioned. They also reimburse all US ATM fees which makes it much more convenient than going to the limited non-bank free ATMs offered by capital one (at places like CVS and 7-eleven). Capital one, as mentioned, doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee, so we use it when traveling.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

I like money.

If I have to spend a few minutes a year on record keeping to get more of it, I view the choice as a no-brainer.

PJW
DoubleClick

Post by DoubleClick »

Ally doesn't have OFX download the last time I checked, though that might be out of date. Apart from that one thing, I've had an /excellent/ experience with them for several years now.