Bonus how much do you spend vs save?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
longterm100

Bonus how much do you spend vs save?

Post by longterm100 »

After finding this site a year ago I've started saving over 40% of my base salary and 100% of my bonuses. I have a 6 m EF, maxing out 401K, HSA, IRA and have set up Vanguard accounts to put the extra $ in.

I work in business development and have had an amazing year. My last Q bonus after tax in the very low 6 figures. I've put some in index funds and I'm debating what to do with the rest. Part of me thinks , save, save , save and continue to increase investments. The other part of me thinks I've worked dam hard this year and sacrificed a lot I should have some fun money to spend (I'm not short of things that I want to buy).

For those who get large bonuses how do you manage them? Do you put a side a % for yourself to splurge on and if so how much?
livesoft

Re: Bonus how much do you spend vs save?

Post by livesoft »

Another option is charitable giving. My spouse found that her bonus got taxed a lot, so almost nothing was left, but if she gave it away it really didn't hit her pocketbook very much at all.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Wagnerjb

Post by Wagnerjb »

My bonus is targeted at around 60% of my salary. Typically, we live on a little over my salary (although part of my salary is saved in the 401k plan). So I would say that I save well over half of my bonus, plus the 10-15% of salary that I save in the 401k plan (plus the company matching as well).

Be careful not to be overly influenced by other posters here. Many are exceedingly thrifty. If that isn't what you feel is appropriate, don't worry about it. It is important to have balance in your life. Enjoy the rewards of your hard work, your sacrifice, your dedication. Save an appropriate amount of your income, and spend the rest.

Best wishes.
Andy
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

All of it - save that is. Save the gravy, spend everything after 1/2 salary including your taxes. Of course, that is dependent upon how much one's bonus is compared to salary. Since your bonus is 6 figures - save at least half of it after-tax and treat yourself to an ice cream cone in Tahiti. :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
AviN

Post by AviN »

By default, any income that exceeds my expenses and charitable giving goes into my long term investment portfolio. It doesn't matter whether it's a bonus.

Avi
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

Of course in many fields the "bonus" is really an expected part of an overall compensation package...

But my husband has a team of people who work with him in a laboratory setting. When he gets a bonus (usually around $1,000), he gives half of it away to his employees as cash. The senior people get more, the hourly temporary people get something, but it is an acknowledgment that he couldn't do what he does without them.
jackholloway

Post by jackholloway »

Salary sticks better than bonus, so we try to make day to day expenses come solely from salary. I put the same percentage of bonus aside for investment as I do of regular salary.

I put the remainder of the bonus in a short term bond fund, then top off accounts at the end of the year for out of band spending where I do not want to live on salary. For example, I expect I will end up either getting a nicer car or going on a nicer vacation this year as a result of a better than usual bonus. I also gave an additional thousand dollars to charity this year out of last years bonus. These are optional expenses, and chosen with care, running roughly 10% of the bonus.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

longterm100 wrote: I have a 6 m EF, maxing out 401K, HSA, IRA and have set up Vanguard accounts to put the extra $ in.
Oh my! When I first read that, I thought 6 Million EF?!?!? Then I read 6 Thousand EF?!?!? Oh, 6 months -- that's good :D

There was a time where my wife's variable comp was a large multiple of her salary. That made for a lot of complications, but thankfully her megacorp (at the assistance of regulators) has adjusted the ratio now such that her bonus is no more than 2x salary. So, this is what we do:

- Bonus arrives Feb/March, including amounts from previously deferred bonuses
- Tax withheld is usually the statutory 20%, which is insufficient, so we do some rough estimate of how much to put aside
- Some amount we know will not be needed during the year, so it gets invested in taxable, back door Roth, I-bonds, etc
- The rest goes into MM and/or intermediate tax free bond fund to fund tuitions, taxes, car purchase, vacation during the year, sums that can't be paid out of a single paycheck (our "non-emergency emergency fund")
- At some point, we figure that we have more than enough in cash and near-cash, and invest the surplus according to AA

This assumes that you can live, or almost live, on your salary. If the ratio is more like 1:5 (salary:bonus) as it once was for us, that means more planning and less loosey-goosey.

We never got into the habit of gifting ourselves something when the bonus arrived. That's a slippery slope.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
TRC

Post by TRC »

longterm100 wrote:After finding this site a year ago I've started saving over 40% of my base salary and 100% of my bonuses. I have a 6 m EF, maxing out 401K, HSA, IRA and have set up Vanguard accounts to put the extra $ in.

I work in business development and have had an amazing year. My last Q bonus after tax in the very low 6 figures. I've put some in index funds and I'm debating what to do with the rest. Part of me thinks , save, save , save and continue to increase investments. The other part of me thinks I've worked dam hard this year and sacrificed a lot I should have some fun money to spend (I'm not short of things that I want to buy).

For those who get large bonuses how do you manage them? Do you put a side a % for yourself to splurge on and if so how much?
Congrats! Do you have any debt? If so, pay that off. If not, invest most of it (unless you have some savings goals?) and spend some on yourself.

FYI - my wife and I are in a similar boat and are expecting a large chunk of change in Jan. We booked a nice vacation in April with the kids, bought some new ski equipment, but the rest (90%) is going right into: Maxing out 401K, Maxing out Roths, Contributing 5K to each kids 529 and the rest goes right into Vanguard. Nice way to start Jan!
Laura

Post by Laura »

I would certainly give yourself a treat after having such a great year. However, I also found this chart motivated me to keep my savings rate very high. You can retire a few years early.

Laura
The views presented are my own and not necessarily those of the Department of State or the U.S. Government.
RobInCT

Post by RobInCT »

Meh. I saved 100% of my bonus until I'd met my savings goals (which for me were no debt, 12 month EF, maxed out 401ks and Roth). Having met those goals, I now spend probably half. Could be more or less depending on whether there's anything I really want or not.

This is a really personal question. A lot of people around here have early retirement as one of their savings goals, which is a much more significant savings goal that may take longer to attain. That's not one of my goals, so I don't see the point in saving as though it were.

Basically, my advice to you is to evaluate your current financial situation. If it's not where you want to be, allocate money first to fixing that. If you're alright for the present, ask yourself what your future goals are. Make sure your bonus spending is in line with meeting future goals. Whether those future goals are early retirement, saving for a six month sabbatical to move to Italy and learn Italian, or buying a grill to master the art of outdoor cooking is really up to you.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Laura wrote:I would certainly give yourself a treat after having such a great year.
How about a treat every paycheck, for having such a great fortnight? I'm just kidding, sort of, but I am troubled by the "I will treat myself differently because I have extra money" mindset. We treat ourselves quite well, tbh, but I separate it from the bumps in income. Just my $0.02. Whatever works to keep you motivated.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I get my annual bonus in October. As it turns out that's very fortuitous timing because airfare to Europe during the winter season goes on sale usually towards the end of September. After taxes are taken out I have enough bonus left to pay for two round trip discounted business class seats from California to Europe (about $2500-3000 each). I saved over 40% of my gross income this year so enjoying a few nice things in life can be accommodated in anyone's plan!

In reality I don't separate out regular salary from bonus; its all income. I spend what I want, when I want, and save the rest. I think anyone who has the discipline to save 30+% of their income can operate this way.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Here is a riddle for you: Even after spending 100% of my bonus, I save 100% of it as well.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

an_asker wrote:Here is a riddle for you: Even after spending 100% of my bonus, I save 100% of it as well.
Harh! Hahahahah! Sure, you spent $100K on a 6 month certificate of deposit or on a new Vanguard Short-Term Investment Grade fund, not only did you spend big, but you saved all of it as well. :P
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Gill

Post by Gill »

Naismith wrote:When he gets a bonus (usually around $1,000), he gives half of it away to his employees as cash.
I assume they report it on their tax returns nevertheless. :happy
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
an_asker wrote:Here is a riddle for you: Even after spending 100% of my bonus, I save 100% of it as well.
Harh! Hahahahah! Sure, you spent $100K on a 6 month certificate of deposit or on a new Vanguard Short-Term Investment Grade fund, not only did you spend big, but you saved all of it as well. :P
Nope. My typical bonus is $0. :oops:
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I usually put 20% of my bonus in my 401(k).
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

Minimal bonuses here, just straight, boring salary. But we try to save 25-30% of our wages.

The Mrs. And I are both fortunate in having industry pensions that have a defined benefit component AND a defined contribution. Plus we can access a 401(k) plan. (Lucky us.)
stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe »

For years I've taken $100 from the bonus to use to take my wife for diner and invested the rest. Works for us.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I have never got any bonus. My wife sometimes gets a small bonus. We do not count it separately and just add it to our regular income. It most likely goes to the investment account.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

You are saving like a madman - in a good way. You have to spend some time to enjoy the journey. I always took some of my bonus for a nice family vacation. You never get those years back. Life balance is very important to me. Try it you will like it.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

My compensation is highly variable depending on commissions and bonuses. So every year I set some goals, attempt to hit them, and blow the rest of the $ on whatever will bring me joy.
HopeToGolf

Post by HopeToGolf »

It depends on your long-term goals. If you plan to work until your are 65, your job is secure and your savings are on track, then who cares, spend it all.

We take a small amount of our after tax bonuses and I save mine (cash and index funds) for some future frivolous expenditure (sports tickets, golf clubs, poker game, etc.) while the wife spends hers on "stuff." The rest is saved for a rainy day (earlier retirement, needy parent, kitchen remodel, new car, etc.)
Alchemist

Post by Alchemist »

I think splurging every now and then is fairly safe when you already have such a large savings rate. I myself keep my recurring lifestyle costs very low, but occasionally spend on things I really want. Like a vacation, or this Omega watch I'm wearing ....watches are a vice for me, but with a 50% savings rate I don't feel too bad about it. Those of us who are natural savers sometimes have to fight ourselves to enjoy some of the money in the present. All things being equal, its a good 'problem' to have.
sambb

Post by sambb »

i spend 2-3% of my bonus, save the rest (and taxes)
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

longterm100 wrote:After finding this site a year ago I've started saving over 40% of my base salary and 100% of my bonuses. I have a 6 m EF, maxing out 401K, HSA, IRA and have set up Vanguard accounts to put the extra $ in.

http://whitecoatinvestor.com/enough-is-enough/

At a certain point, you need to remember what you're saving for. I don't save to save. I save to spend. If I'm saving more than I'll need to spend later, perhaps it would be better spent now instead of saved. 40% of base plus 6 figures? Seems like plenty to me. Where are you at in relationship to your goals?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Bonus has typically been high 5 figures net of taxes and a few 6 figures. 100% has gone to savings. March I expect more than $150K. It will all go to savings.

Retire by 50 is a big goal.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

I hear Bora Bora is nice this time of year.

I spend most of my bonus on vacations after the usual 401k contribution, but that's because I save such a high percentage of my regular paycheck (and my bonus is only 10-15% of my base).
SJCX

Post by SJCX »

We save 50-60% of our annual salaries. We're debt free and before we do anything we max out all out investment options and also invest in a taxable account. We still find time to take a yearly vacation and eat out a few times monthly, we're not too tight considering the massive % we save.

We're in the empire business!
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I always saved 100% of my bonuses as well as a portion of salary. Having them squirreled away bought me the freedom to retire early and on my own terms. Looking back, being able to do that was immensely more important to me than anything I could have purchased at the time. Your circumstances and priorities may be different of course.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

I save whatever amount is necessary to hit 20% of my total (salary+bonus) income for the year. This year some of that went into my e-fund instead of retirement accounts, and some was set aside for the hope of having a child. If there were enough left over to knock out a significant portion of debt, I would have done that with some of whatever was left. The rest is spent on stuff we want. This year it will be new floors in our house.
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
longterm100 wrote: I have a 6 m EF, maxing out 401K, HSA, IRA and have set up Vanguard accounts to put the extra $ in.
Oh my! When I first read that, I thought 6 Million EF?!?!? Then I read 6 Thousand EF?!?!? Oh, 6 months -- that's good :D
2 mny non-standard abbrevs used hr.

The one that always takes me aback is LBYM. In context it seems to be used by most people here to mean "living below your means," but I always take it to mean "iving beyond your means" which is an equally common term (according to Google). Kind of like having the same color traffic light to mean "go" and "stop."

We aren't carving notes in rock -- a few more keystrokes WKU.
Annie1317

Post by Annie1317 »

I used all of my bonus to pay down my debt. I recently increased my savings to 18% of my base salary, will try to make it 20% in 2015.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

I'm a little late to the party, but I didn't see this addressed:
livesoft wrote:Another option is charitable giving. My spouse found that her bonus got taxed a lot, so almost nothing was left, but if she gave it away it really didn't hit her pocketbook very much at all.
Are you sure you don't mean it had more withheld, not necessarily taxed? Bonuses typically withhold higher than a normal paycheck (due to how withholding is calculated), but you end up getting the difference from that back when you file the return. Some savvy others who get bonuses earlier in the year even adjust future withholdings to make up for it.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

Clever_Username wrote:I'm a little late to the party, but I didn't see this addressed:
livesoft wrote:Another option is charitable giving. My spouse found that her bonus got taxed a lot, so almost nothing was left, but if she gave it away it really didn't hit her pocketbook very much at all.
Are you sure you don't mean it had more withheld, not necessarily taxed? Bonuses typically withhold higher than a normal paycheck (due to how withholding is calculated), but you end up getting the difference from that back when you file the return. Some savvy others who get bonuses earlier in the year even adjust future withholdings to make up for it.
All the same in the end. Withholding is higher for bonuses than regular paychecks because paychecks withhold at the average rate whereas bonuses withhold at the margin. If the accountants are doing their job right your refund isn't affected.
Steven439

Post by Steven439 »

I use my bonus to max my 401k and allocate the rest to my mega backdoor Roth contribution. Our bonus is paid in January, and our company will match the 401k contribution immediately, so this lets me lock in the full match at the beginning of the year and take advantage of more time in the market.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

My bonus varies from 40% to 80% of my total compensation. For years, I saved 100% of it. But I've started to spend some as I've hit most of my savings goals.

I spent about 5% this year. Baby steps....
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
Clever_Username

Aptenodytes wrote:
Clever_Username wrote:I'm a little late to the party, but I didn't see this addressed:
All the same in the end. Withholding is higher for bonuses than regular paychecks because paychecks withhold at the average rate whereas bonuses withhold at the margin. If the accountants are doing their job right your refund isn't affected.

This makes sense, thanks.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
LowER

Post by LowER »

Save 100%.
obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 »

I spend money on what I need, and then save the rest. I don't really splurge on anything.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell
choices

Post by choices »

We saved it all , or rather what was left after taxesšŸ˜Š
vveat

Post by vveat »

I only started getting sizable bonuses (50-70k after taxes) last couple of years, and we haven't figured out a strategy yet. Our savings are already pretty high, so we could afford to splurge, but regretfully we can't come up with a big splurge idea either :oops:

This year we'll throw it all at the mortgage, in preparation to pay it off sometime in 2015. Last year we gave half to a niece to buy an apartment abroad, saved the other half. The year before that we saved most and used a bit to start an "escrow" saving account for a pricey private preschool. Maybe next year we'll go somewhere warm for the holidays and call it a splurge :beer
TradingPlaces

Post by TradingPlaces »

This just does not make sense. Unless tax is 100% or close to 100%, there is no way this is true.

- Top federal tax rate: 39.6%, let's call it 40%. At that point, you are not paying Social Security any more,
- medicare: 1.45 + 1% surcharge,
- state (plus local): let's call it 10%.

So you are paying 52.5% TOPS.

Would you rather keep 47% of your income or zero?

You keep zero if you donate your entire bonus.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

TradingPlaces wrote:
This just does not make sense. Unless tax is 100% or close to 100%, there is no way this is true.

- Top federal tax rate: 39.6%, let's call it 40%. At that point, you are not paying Social Security any more,
- medicare: 1.45 + 1% surcharge,
- state (plus local): let's call it 10%.

So you are paying 52.5% TOPS.

Would you rather keep 47% of your income or zero?

You keep zero if you donate your entire bonus.
There are some additional factors:
- Some taxes are imposed above certain income levels.
- Some exemptions and deductions are phased out above certain income levels.
- Parents of college students are expected to contribute a percent of their salary towards tuition and expenses. While it's not a tax, it is a reduction of net income.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
TradingPlaces

Post by TradingPlaces »

Ok, Victoria, I see the point.

FAFSA issues aside, I still don't see the additional gross income not providing after-tax income.
lawlord

Post by lawlord »

I expect to a get a high 5-figure (perhaps low 6-figure) bonus this year. My plan is to save it all by maxing out my retirement contributions in one go: $18K in Roth 401K and up to approximately $35K in my 401 after-tax account (depending on how much is left after taxes).

Once this bonus goes through, I will mega-backdoor the (approximately) $35K to my Roth IRA and will be done contributing to the Roth 401K plan for the year. This means that less will be deducted from my paychecks each period.

Although this strategy does not take advantage of dollar-cost-averaging, I generally presume that the market will end up higher at the end of the year than at the beginning. And I recognize that I have no ability to time the market.
Clever_Username

lawlord wrote:Although this strategy does not take advantage of dollar-cost-averaging, I generally presume that the market will end up higher at the end of the year than at the beginning. And I recognize that I have no ability to time the market.
And if you did want to DCA it, you could still put it all in the account right away, just mostly into a money market account (or equivalent) and periodically move it out of that and into the fund(s) you're using within it.

(I'm not necessarily suggesting this; I'm just saying if you want to DCA, your 401(k) probably has a cash equivalent in there somewhere)
MariaT

Post by MariaT »

My husband and I seldom get bonuses but if we do they go directly to our portfolio, after taxes.
On the other hand, any raises are 100% invested -the full gross amount through direct deposit.

Of course we treat ourselves to a nice dinner, vacation, etc but we can do that any time. It's all about balance. You can't take it with you

Warm regards,
-Maria
JGoneRiding

Post by JGoneRiding »

My bonuses don't come any where near that (shoot my salary doesn't quite reach that!) But I do get them semi-annually So what I generally do is split the difference. Usually into 1/3s I get to buy one "thing" the last one was my tablet-surface. 1/3 goes to my SL debt repayment 1/3 to savings/brokerage acct.

I agree with wagnerjb. There are people here that are EXTREMELY thrifty they have plans to FIRE if that isn't something you want or you are already well set to do so, then I think it is very important to enjoy the bonuses to at least some extent. Some times I get as much fun out of planning what it is I REALLY want to buy as I do actually doing so. They say a LOT of the enjoyment in travel/relaxation comes in the planning---studies testing long term benefit.