Vanguard and Turbo Tax

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
coffeehubcap

Vanguard and Turbo Tax

Post by coffeehubcap »

I sign in through Vanguard. I sign in with Turbo Tax and select Deluxe Turbo Tax which should be free to flagship clients only to be told it will cost me $29. If I select that will I be billed? Anyone else have trouble getting TT?
rakornacki1

Re: Vanguard and Turbo Tax

Post by rakornacki1 »

My experience in past years with VG is that TT (federal filing) is indeed free, however, TT (state filing) is not. Still a good deal, IMO. Good luck.
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

The past week, I've signed into Vanguard then TurboTax, selected Premier, and tried to start my taxes. It does show the discount from $49.99 to $34.99, but it won't let me get far enough to purchase it. I've done this 3 or 4 times, with the same result:

Once I select Premier and push the button to get started, I get stopped at the message "TurboTax Online is currently unavailable. Sorry about this! Our engineers have been alerted and are hard at work fixing the issue. Please try again at a later time."

My thought is the site is not yet active for 2014 taxes. (Just guessing)
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
Topic Author
coffeehubcap

Post by coffeehubcap »

According to Vanguard TT is active. Both federal and state TT is free for flagship clients. I've had trouble in the past trying to take advantage of TT from Vanguard. I've yet to get it to work for me.
CABob

Post by CABob »

I have not used the VG/TT links this year, but, in prior years IIRC the full price showed until you reached the final screen when the discount was incorporated.
Bob
Urechis

Post by Urechis »

After connecting to TurboTax through Vanguard I tried to order the download of TT Premier today. I could not get past a screen that required me to enroll in an annual subscription program called TurboTax Advantage. The program quoted the full price of $89.99. I imagined getting charged this every year in perpetuity. Has anyone else had this problem?
Last edited by Urechis on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

rakornacki1 wrote:My experience in past years with VG is that TT (federal filing) is indeed free, however, TT (state filing) is not. Still a good deal, IMO. Good luck.
My experience was both federal and state were free for TT Deluxe for Flagship clients but efile was free for federal, state was only free using snail mail.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Topic Author
coffeehubcap

Post by coffeehubcap »

Vanguard might be wrong about TT being active. We still have the senate to vote on extending some taxes such as QCD qualified charity deductions. That's probably the reason I can't get any further into TT since they're waiting for the revisions they have to make before releasing it to the public.
Gill

Post by Gill »

TurboTax is active and I've already downloaded the Premier version which costs $9.99 for Flagship clients. You're missing something on the Website.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
plannerman

Post by plannerman »

For the desktop version
Login to your Vanguard account.
Click on the "TurboTax" link
Do not sign in to your TurboTax account.
Scroll down and click on the "Download" link
The correct price will come up
runner26

Post by runner26 »

What plannerman said above. However, that may not be the end of your problems. I downloaded Deluxe for free and did a preliminary walk through. I have a schedule D and figured out how to use deluxe with a printout ok. But my printer died, and I will be moving soon, so decided to not buy a new one and just e-file, so I decided to upgrade to Premier. I went to the upgrade tab, but it wanted to charge me $39 for the upgrade, so I went back to Vanguard and bought Premier for 9.99. When it downloaded it uninstalled Deluxe and then installed Premier. I went to see my state amount, and it went through the install process, it said I had the latest version, but nothing shows. (Oddly, when it uninstalled 2014 deluxe, it also removed my state forms from my TT 2013. I was able to get those back. People have been able to get 2014 California state. The problem seems to be when you go from deluxe to premier, so I and others have reported. Some have been able to contact customer support for a "special push version" of premier to correct the problem. It is not so easy to get a phone number for help. Anyway, I got an e-mail from customer support based on my blog posting that others reported the problem and a link to get on a list to receive an e-mail when a resolution is found.
CABob

Post by CABob »

As I said in an earlier conversation, "TaxAct here I come." :o
Bob
Lorenz

Post by Lorenz »

Seems the trick is to initiate the download via vanguard before logging into the intuit turbo Tax site. When logging into the intuit TT site after vanguard I could not progress to check out and download without agreeing to the annual automatic purchase commitment (I think it was called Turbo Tax Advantage).

The option to login to turbotax also appears at checkout. I purchased Premier for $9.99
Topic Author
coffeehubcap

Post by coffeehubcap »

I'm still having trouble. I click on TT and a page comes up with "Our Apologies". I'm totally disappointed in Vanguard and how this connection to TT has been set up. It's horrible.

I followed the advice from other people who posted on this subject but nothing is working for me.
Wild Willie

Post by Wild Willie »

TurboTax is active and I've already downloaded the Premier version which costs $9.99 for Flagship clients. You're missing something on the Website.
Gill

I thought the VG website indicated that Flagship customers get the desktop downloaded version at no cost? It indicates that the online version costs $9.99.

Which is correct?
partner

Post by partner »

Wild Willie wrote:TurboTax is active and I've already downloaded the Premier version which costs $9.99 for Flagship clients. You're missing something on the Website.
Gill

I thought the VG website indicated that Flagship customers get the desktop downloaded version at no cost? It indicates that the online version costs $9.99.

Which is correct?
Premier is now at no Cost also. Changed recently. See the link below for the problem I was having. I have since downloaded the premier version after it became free also.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=153467
Topic Author
coffeehubcap

Post by coffeehubcap »

Here's what worked for me.

My IE browser didn't work at all even when I removed my security protections. This morning I used Goggle's Chrome browser and didn't have any trouble at all. It could mean that Chrome isn't as secure as IE but Chrome worked for me. I've had other websites that reacted in the same way while using IE.
Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice »

I was looking to download turbotax and saw all the reviews for turboxtax deluxe. Be careful as it sounds like turbotax pulled a lot of the schedule forms that have come with the deluxe version for ages. People are all downloading the deluxe to find out they need to upgrade for a steep price. :oops: It might be time to switch to another software this year.

http://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Deluxe-S ... Descending

More info here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphilli ... -a-change/
TX_TURTLE

Post by TX_TURTLE »

If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can get TT Premier for 54.99 + taxes. In addition, this Amazon version comes with a 'refund bonus offer'. If you receive your refund (or part of it) as an Amazon gift card, they give you an additional 10% (on the gift card). So you may be able to get it for free, or even make a few bucks out it.
hms

Post by hms »

For 2013, I used TT Deluxe online and filed sch D and 8949. There was a nag to upgrade (there is every year) when doing so, but I ran into no problems. I did not need a Q&A to complete the forms as I downloaded the sch D info from Vanguard. Strangely, info that I read says that 2014 online has not changed re sch D because that change was made in 2013. But apparently something did change for 2014 Deluxe online re sch D from what I read.

To be on the safe side, suppose I must use Premier.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

coffeehubcap wrote:According to Vanguard TT is active. Both federal and state TT is free for flagship clients. I've had trouble in the past trying to take advantage of TT from Vanguard. I've yet to get it to work for me.
I've never had any issues with the Turbo Tax through Vanguard.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
bru

Post by bru »

Can't get this to work.

I click on "Save now on TurboTax" and I get a webpage error using both IE and Chrome. Anyone had success lately?
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

bru wrote:Can't get this to work.

I click on "Save now on TurboTax" and I get a webpage error using both IE and Chrome. Anyone had success lately?
FWIW, the exact same thing is happening to me this morning----I was able to access it from the Vanguard website for awhile this past Saturday, however.

What seems confusing/difficult is that having to access TT "directly from the Vanguard website each time" is THE issue----otherwise, if I go to the TT website directly, I am able to access my previously established TT account and log-in.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
bru

Post by bru »

Sconie wrote: FWIW, the exact same thing is happening to me this morning----I was able to access it from the Vanguard website for awhile this past Saturday, however.

What seems confusing/difficult is that having to access TT "directly from the Vanguard website each time" is THE issue----otherwise, if I go to the TT website directly, I am able to access my previously established TT account and log-in.
Glad it isn't just me...but still would rather have it working. I sent a message to my rep. Hopefully he'll alert IT or whoever is responsible to get it fixed. I want to download a desktop version.
WorkToLive

Post by WorkToLive »

I tried multiple times yesterday and today to click the link "Save now on TurboTax" on the Vanguard TurboTax webpage. I received an error saying something like "There was an unexpected error. Please try again later." I kept trying and finally got through. Once I did, I clicked Desktop Products and was able to buy and download TT Premier for $0.00 (I am Flagship).

HTH!
bru

Post by bru »

WorkToLive wrote:I tried multiple times yesterday and today to click the link "Save now on TurboTax" on the Vanguard TurboTax webpage. I received an error saying something like "There was an unexpected error. Please try again later." I kept trying and finally got through. Once I did, I clicked Desktop Products and was able to buy and download TT Premier for $0.00 (I am Flagship).

HTH!
It seems to be working now. Hopefully I'll figure it out. Want to do the same as you.

edit: I had to reset my Intuit password but after that I think I DL'd what I wanted. Never used tax software before (got it free last year from a deal site but never used it) but figured for free I'd give it a try.
John151

Post by John151 »

Trying to access TurboTax through Vanguard can be frustrating, and TurboTax's murky pricing policy doesn't exactly inspire trust. I hope Vanguard will reconsider its partnership with TurboTax and move to a different company next year.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

if you download premier from vanguard are you getting the same thing as if you buy the cd version of premier? (except, of course, the physical disk)?
WorkToLive

Post by WorkToLive »

Help! I initially "purchased" then downloaded TT Deluxe. When I realized I needed Premier, I went back through Vanguard, "purchased" then downloaded Premier. I uninstalled TT Deluxe from my desktop and installed TT Premier. I was able to open my return, but when I try to go to my state, it prompts me to download the state, then says it's up-to-date, but won't let me run the state program to see my return.

Anyone else having this trouble?
amdcanada

Post by amdcanada »

I'm a Flagship Client. Just finished my taxes. I downloaded Premiere, and it seems to be free. But, the state version is charging me $19.99. I don't know why. It's annoying. But, I don't want to go through the hassle of talking to Vanguard, and then getting bounced to Turbotax.

Not a smooth experience.
harryw

Post by harryw »

That has nothing to do with Vanguard. Intuit has always charged $19.99 for e-filing; it isn't free for anybody. Your only option is to send a paper state return.
sbowline

Post by sbowline »

WorkToLive wrote:Help! I initially "purchased" then downloaded TT Deluxe. When I realized I needed Premier, I went back through Vanguard, "purchased" then downloaded Premier. I uninstalled TT Deluxe from my desktop and installed TT Premier. I was able to open my return, but when I try to go to my state, it prompts me to download the state, then says it's up-to-date, but won't let me run the state program to see my return.

Anyone else having this trouble?
Same thing happened to me. TT left my state return in Deluxe and did not transfer it to Premier. I moved it manually with windows explorer and deleted the Deluxe folder.
John151

Post by John151 »

TurboTax's discounts for Vanguard clients can be confusing. If you're a Flagship client, TurboTax Deluxe (desktop download version) and TurboTax Premier (desktop download version) will charge you $19.99 to efile a state return. But if you use TurboTax Deluxe (online version), state efiling is free, and if you use TurboTax Premier (online version), the total charge (including state efiling), is $9.99.

And then there's a separate set of charges for non-Flagship clients, with different charges for the various desktop and online versions.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insigh ... i/turbotax
tc101

Post by tc101 »

If I have a 1099-div from stock dividends, and 1099-int from banks and other sources, but did not sell any stock so do not have a 1099-B, do I still need the premier edition, or will the delux edition do?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
Topic Author
coffeehubcap

Post by coffeehubcap »

I have the same documents and I used the Deluxe TT.
larryc

Post by larryc »

TurboTax is in the middle of trying to raise prices in lots of inventive ways. I'm in Flagship, and downloading Premier from Vanguard cost me $9.99 extra this year. Also, when I initially worked on my home office there was no problem, but the second time I worked on it the program refused to run unless I paid an additional fee of $10. I find Turbotax's policies frustrating. They sent me an email saying that they would unwind these policies, but they didn't bother to say anything about how I could get my money back. Intuit does not seem to think a poor reputation among its customers will hurt its business. We'll see.
runner26

Post by runner26 »

larryc wrote:TurboTax is in the middle of trying to raise prices in lots of inventive ways. I'm in Flagship, and downloading Premier from Vanguard cost me $9.99 extra this year. Also, when I initially worked on my home office there was no problem, but the second time I worked on it the program refused to run unless I paid an additional fee of $10. I find Turbotax's policies frustrating. They sent me an email saying that they would unwind these policies, but they didn't bother to say anything about how I could get my money back. Intuit does not seem to think a poor reputation among its customers will hurt its business. We'll see.
My $9.99 was automatically credited back to my credit card with no action on my part. Check your credit card history.
larryc

Post by larryc »

Thanks for the information.
goshenBogle

Post by goshenBogle »

I am a flagship Vanguard client and had no trouble downloading TT. I don't use the online version due to privacy concerns.

If you are having trouble, call Vanguard customer support instead of posting to this forum.
Retired and loving it!!!!