Vanguard Turbo Tax prices anounced

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Grasshopper

Vanguard Turbo Tax prices anounced

Post by Grasshopper »

Flagship: Federal: Premier online $9.99 desktop $9.99 state included

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insigh ... i/turbotax
mickeyd

Re: Vanguard Turbo Tax prices anounced

Post by mickeyd »

Flagship Services and Asset Management Services clients will receive complimentary access to the Federal: Basic, Federal: Deluxe, and State: Basic products.
Looks like it's free for Flagship folks once again.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
CABob

Post by CABob »

TaxAct here I come.
:annoyed
Bob
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaz

Post by chaz »

TT does me good.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

They are sending me to the poorhouse :evil:

Most here need the Deluxe and $9.99 for Flagship clients is great. I am a consultant and thus have to use Home and Business. So this goes straight up toe $79.99 with no difference for Flagship. Boo.

Serious question though as I have usually used Desktop Download but would consider Online for various reasons. Does the online versions have all of the functionality of the desktop version, particularly the ability to look at the pdfs of the actual forms before it is finalized? I seem to remember maybe not..
Topic Author
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

HueyLD wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:Flagship: Federal: Premier online $9.99 desktop $9.99 state included

There is a conflicting information on that page. For example:
Premier download is shown as $9.99 (state included), but a few lines down it shows "State $39.99."

In addition, it says "Coming soon: TurboTax for tax year 2014 will be available soon. Please return to this page at that time to take advantage of great discounts. The pricing information below is not reflective of 2014 pricing.
:confused
A couple of days ago the site quoted prices as TBA, so this must be the prices for 2014.
aw82

Post by aw82 »

We will have simply taxes this year and could use the Free version for federal. But $36.99 to file my state return? Lame.

Maybe I'll give TaxAct a try this year.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

There is now a disclaimer at the top of the webpage.

Coming soon: TurboTax for tax year 2014 will be available soon. Please return to this page at that time to take advantage of great discounts. The pricing information below is not reflective of 2014 pricing.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

I am a Flagship client who must file Schedule D. Which version do I need?
cfs

Post by cfs »

Leesbro63 wrote:I am a Flagship client who must file Schedule D. Which version do I need?
Check TurboTax Premier 2014
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Calm Man wrote:They are sending me to the poorhouse :evil:

Most here need the Deluxe and $9.99 for Flagship clients is great. I am a consultant and thus have to use Home and Business. So this goes straight up toe $79.99 with no difference for Flagship. Boo.

Serious question though as I have usually used Desktop Download but would consider Online for various reasons. Does the online versions have all of the functionality of the desktop version, particularly the ability to look at the pdfs of the actual forms before it is finalized? I seem to remember maybe not..
I am curious as to your reasons for wanting to go with the online version?

In the past the big difference in functionality was that you could actually go into the forms mode dynamically while in the course of preparing your taxes, so you could essentially "peek under the hood" and see what TurboTax was doing with the answers you gave it in Interview mode. That's even better than getting to see the PDF before finalizing. Essentially you could toggle back and forth between forms mode and interview mode (which TT calls "Step by Step" mode). You could actually enter data either way. Bob Meighan (TT VP) acknowledged last year that TT Online wouldn't do that.

That is precisely why I prefer TT Desktop--because TT online seems like too much of a "black box" in the process of creating the return.

But whether you do online or desktop, I am pretty sure that TT gives you a chance to look at the PDF of the return before you actually click to efile. They pretty much have to do so--because when you file a return, you are signing "under penalty of perjury" that you have examined the return and attached schedules and to the best of your knowledge and belief, "they are true, correct, and complete." I don't see how TT could possibly allow you to authorize them to submit your return until they had given you a chance to look over the actual forms!

(Now, what is true, is that you can often start TT online and not pay for anything until you are ready to print or efile. I am pretty sure you have to pay before they will let you look at the PDF.)
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

dodecahedron wrote:
Calm Man wrote:They are sending me to the poorhouse :evil:

I am curious as to your reasons for wanting to go with the online version?

In the past the big difference in functionality was that you could actually go into the forms mode dynamically while in the course of preparing your taxes, so you could essentially "peek under the hood" and see what TurboTax was doing with the answers you gave it in Interview mode. That's even better than getting to see the PDF before finalizing. Essentially you could toggle back and forth between forms mode and interview mode (which TT calls "Step by Step" mode). You could actually enter data either way. Bob Meighan (TT VP) acknowledged last year that TT Online wouldn't do that.

That is precisely why I prefer TT Desktop--because TT online seems like too much of a "black box" in the process of creating the return.

But whether you do online or desktop, I am pretty sure that TT gives you a chance to look at the PDF of the return before you actually click to efile. They pretty much have to do so--because when you file a return, you are signing "under penalty of perjury" that you have examined the return and attached schedules and to the best of your knowledge and belief, "they are true, correct, and complete." I don't see how TT could possibly allow you to authorize them to submit your return until they had given you a chance to look over the actual forms!

(Now, what is true, is that you can often start TT online and not pay for anything until you are ready to print or efile. I am pretty sure you have to pay before they will let you look at the PDF.)
My reasons for using the online version are fair to poor at best. I can use different computers. And the price difference appears large in relative terms although not $ terms. Home and business even for Flagship (no discount at all) is $140 for Federal and a state desktop including a state efile while It is something like $55 for online. Now I admit to feeling like a fool for letting this bother me but I am used to free filing !!! And you are quite right that if I cannot toggle and look at the pdf as I go along instead of just before filing, that would not be good !! So a trivial nudge will get me to pay for the desktop version. Hint: give me a nudge. I feel very comfortable with Ttax which is why I am reluctant to try the other ones.
SpartanFan

Post by SpartanFan »

Grasshopper wrote:Flagship: Federal: Premier online $9.99 desktop $9.99 state included
For Flagship clients, does the Desktop Download pricing (9.99) allow you to PRINT a final State return which can be filed via paper ?

This was the case LAST year. (The only diff this year is the 9.99 charge as I see it)
"There's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in" - Leonard Cohen (RIP)
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Calm Man wrote:
My reasons for using the online version are fair to poor at best. I can use different computers. And the price difference appears large in relative terms although not $ terms. Home and business even for Flagship (no discount at all) is $140 for Federal and a state desktop including a state efile while It is something like $55 for online. Now I admit to feeling like a fool for letting this bother me but I am used to free filing !!! And you are quite right that if I cannot toggle and look at the pdf as I go along instead of just before filing, that would not be good !! So a trivial nudge will get me to pay for the desktop version. Hint: give me a nudge. I feel very comfortable with Ttax which is why I am reluctant to try the other ones.
TurboTax download of Home & Business (including Federal & State & Federal efile) is only $79.99 if you buy it at Amazon currently. And you can your refund with a 10% bonus if you opt to take it in Amazon gift card form.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

joe8d

Post by joe8d »

mickeyd wrote:
Flagship Services and Asset Management Services clients will receive complimentary access to the Federal: Basic, Federal: Deluxe, and State: Basic products.
Yea!!! :D
All the Best, | Joe
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

HueyLD wrote:

There is a conflicting information on that page. For example:
Premier download is shown as $9.99 (state included), but a few lines down it shows "State $39.99."
This is consistent. Premier includes one state, but if you have to file taxes in a second state, you need to buy a separate state package for that state (or else file the second state return by hand, which often isn't that hard).

TaxACT works the same way. The Ultimate Bundle includes the federal return and a discounted price for one state, while you pay full price for other states.
Wiki David Grabiner
SpartanFan

Post by SpartanFan »

Not free for Flagship if you need to file Sched D (its 9.99 and requires the Premier product)
"There's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in" - Leonard Cohen (RIP)
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

SpartanFan

Post by SpartanFan »

HueyLD wrote:
tommoran2 wrote:Not free for Flagship if you need to file Sched D (its 9.99 and requires the Premier product)
Based on what Bob Meighan said on amazon.com, one can still use the Deluxe version to prepare Sch. D, but the interview mode won't be available. As a result, efiling is not allowed and one must mail in the tax returns.

All I can say is that it is a revenue enhancement move and they are within their right to do so. Meanwhile, the customers can choose to do or not to do business with them.

VG web site indicates up to 5 Fed returns E Filed for free in the Desktop column.

You indicated Bob said "efiling is not allowed and one must mail in the tax returns."

Iam confused ???
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

mickeyd wrote:
Last year the TT Deluxe edition handled Schedule D which was free. It appears this year one must upgrade to the Premiere edition for $9.99 to include Schedule D. I hope I am wrong about that. As most investors probably do, I need Schedule D.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
John151

Post by John151 »

If you use the online version of TaxAct, you can e-file your federal return for free. If you want to e-file your state return as well, the charge is $17.99. I've used TurboTax for many years, but its prices are no longer competitive.

https://www.taxact.com/index.asp?sc=140 ... d=41141771
Last edited by John151 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

SpringMan wrote:
mickeyd wrote:
Last year the TT Deluxe edition handled Schedule D which was free. It appears this year one must upgrade to the Premiere edition for $9.99 to include Schedule D. I hope I am wrong about that. As most investors probably do, I need Schedule D.
There are threads that have made it clear that for online filing you need to buy premier to use schedule D. I am not exactly clear on whether you need premier to print and file schedule D but it sounds as if you do not.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyeWhiskey

Post by RyeWhiskey »

I'm planning on doing my taxes by hand in 2015 thanks to a BH post from some time back in which a member commented on how much you learn about your money when you do your taxes by hand. This said, I'll tell my girlfriend about the discounted price and Taxact as well. :beer
This post was brought to you by Vanguard Total World Stock Index (VTWSX/VT).
beyou

Post by beyou »

RyeWhiskey wrote:I'm planning on doing my taxes by hand in 2015 thanks to a BH post from some time back in which a member commented on how much you learn about your money when you do your taxes by hand. This said, I'll tell my girlfriend about the discounted price and Taxact as well. :beer
You can use software and read the actual forms and instructions before you efile.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

RyeWhiskey wrote:I'm planning on doing my taxes by hand in 2015 thanks to a BH post from some time back in which a member commented on how much you learn about your money when you do your taxes by hand. This said, I'll tell my girlfriend about the discounted price and Taxact as well. :beer
And you'll never become the captive victim of tax software price inflation.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

I used to do my taxes by hand, and I still like to review the printed forms, but I think Congress basically gave up a while ago on having a tax form simple enough to do by hand and now counts on people having access to tax software (whether through free file or otherwise).
bnes

Post by bnes »

Desktop you can prepare multiple returns (for friends & family).
Online you pay each time.

But that said I'm offended by Intuit's pricing model on TurboTax, including the extra fee for e-File.
The IRS should want people to e-File, and ban the practice of charging yet another fee for it.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Too pricey for me. I switched to TaxAct several years ago. (Simpler too.)
victork

Post by victork »

to Calm Man:
I used TT online for the last few years, and I have always been print a .pdf file of the actual forms and review before e-filing.
If the desktop version lets you do this during the data entry process, that would be a plus for the desktop version.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

I use software but I check everything by hand before filing. The software prevents math errors and miscopied numbers, which can be costly; meanwhile, I can check whether I entered the number in the wrong place in the software, and have even found several bugs in TaxACT.
Wiki David Grabiner
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

Leesbro63 wrote:I am a Flagship client who must file Schedule D. Which version do I need?
we have always used the deluxe version including state tax and have filed schedule D - the capital loss carryover? i think you can insert any form you need by searching.
John151

Post by John151 »

Leesbro63 wrote: I am a Flagship client who must file Schedule D. Which version do I need?
As I understand it, you can use TurboTax Deluxe to prepare Schedule D, but only if you're willing to print a paper copy of your return and send it through the mail. If you want to e-file, you'll have to use TurboTax Premier.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

John151 wrote:
Leesbro63 wrote: I am a Flagship client who must file Schedule D. Which version do I need?
As I understand it, you can use TurboTax Deluxe to prepare Schedule D, but only if you're willing to print a paper copy of your return and send it through the mail. If you want to e-file, you'll have to use TurboTax Premier.
My understanding (and I am more than happy to be wrong) is that is NOT true for the 2014 version. For 2014, Schedule D is unusable until you upgrade to Premier or higher -- even for manual entry. But I have decided to take my business to another product, so I can't confirm first hand.
macaroon

Post by macaroon »

BrandonBogle wrote:
John151 wrote:
My understanding (and I am more than happy to be wrong) is that is NOT true for the 2014 version. For 2014, Schedule D is unusable until you upgrade to Premier or higher -- even for manual entry. But I have decided to take my business to another product, so I can't confirm first hand.
John151 is correct. This was verified by Bob Meighan of TurboTax. You can prepare a Schedule D in Deluxe manually (the interview function is not there for Schedule D) but you cannot e-file it. To be able to e-file a Schedule D, you must have Premier.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

macaroon wrote: John151 is correct. This was verified by Bob Meighan of TurboTax. You can prepare a Schedule D in Deluxe manually (the interview function is not there for Schedule D) but you cannot e-file it. To be able to e-file a Schedule D, you must have Premier.
Thanks Macaroon and John! I must find the recent discussions. The last thread I read with Bob putting in commentary was about the 2013 version of TT.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

I will use Turbo Tax again this year even though it is going to cost me over $100 (I MUST use Home & Business now) even with my Flagship discount. That said, I indeed remember that Bob M (I don't remember his last name) from TurboTax was courageous enough to respond to a thread on this site. I thought he was very arrogant however. And this year, good lord, the cost increases are dramatic and I see a lot of people at this site and by reading reviews at Amazon, elsewhere, are going to drop TurboTax after years of loyalty.

I can rarely recollect such an example of inattention to customers and lack of understanding the marketplace. I recall one which I will share. It must have been 15 or more years ago. The VP at Chase Master Card instituted a new policy whereby people who DID NOT have any late payments or interest payments would no longer be eligible for credit cards without fees. So suddenly I had to pay fees. I threatened to drop the card in a phone call. Since it was not going to be imposed until a few months later, I was told "wait please". The VP was fired shortly thereafter and the new policy was retracted.

As I said, I WILL use TurboTax this year again as I like the transfer of prior return info and am comfortable with it. But others are dropping it. I cannot assume what I will do next year. So Bob M, I would be very, very careful or your business might implode.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

cfs wrote:
Check TurboTax Premier 2014
I don't get it. I always use the most basic H&R Block program and it has schedule C, D, SE, not sure about E. Is excluding some forms a TT thing?
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Calm Man wrote:And you are quite right that if I cannot toggle and look at the pdf as I go along instead of just before filing, that would not be good !! So a trivial nudge will get me to pay for the desktop version. Hint: give me a nudge. I feel very comfortable with Ttax which is why I am reluctant to try the other ones.
I use the desktop version every year so I can file multiple returns, and almost just as importantly, so I can flip between interview mode and forms mode as I go (I like to look under the hood and understand how things are working, and it sometimes helps me find errors faster). Forms mode is much more powerful than just viewing the PDFs; e.g., you can click links which take you to other forms or worksheets from which the data flows, which makes it much easier to understand how values on the forms are being calculated.

I also have been using the online version every year to help a few friends do their returns. Although there is no forms mode, you can view the PDFs as soon as you pay. Until you pay you cannot view or print PDFs. So if viewing the PDFs as you go is all you want, and you're only doing one return, online version is fine. Online version is good to help someone else do their tax returns remotely, and if I need to, I can download the return and load it into my desktop version to use forms mode.

Incidentally, using TurboTax desktop version is the only reason I need to even turn on a Windows PC. For everything else I use my $250 Chromebook and work in the cloud. My PCs are so old I'm thinking of buying a cheap, new PC just to do taxes, but I can get by with what I have. if I could do multiple returns with the online version and it supported forms mode, I would not even need a PC.

I am Flagship and don't need Schedule C (have in the past, but no more), but I do need Schedules D and E, so will spring for the $10 to use Premier desktop. I used Premier desktop last year too, and although I don't think it was necessary, I think some of the data entry/checking for Schedule D may have been a bit streamlined. I was always fine with Deluxe before that.

Will be interesting to see how the reaction to TT's product/pricing changes affects next year's offerings. I get the sense from this thread that many folks will be dumping TT because of the changes.

Kevin
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Data-mining of the discounted online versions inputs should probably be expected? The TurboTax you run on your own computer definitely is more private.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

I bought Turbotax Home & Business Fed + CA State + eFile + Bonus Refund Offer + Quicken 2015 for Mac off Amazon for $118.53 including $8.78 CA state tax. I'm hoping that Quicken 2015 for Mac will allow us to not run a Window VM with Windows Quicken on our Mac laptops anymore. Why be in agony over $30? Besides, it's tax deductible.

As Flounder notes in Animal House, "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
harryw

Post by harryw »

hicabob wrote:Data-mining of the discounted online versions inputs should probably be expected? The TurboTax you run on your own computer definitely is more private.
If that worries you then e-filing with the desktop version is not an option for you. This is actually what bugs me the most about the current system of having to go through a third party software to e-file - you can't prevent those companies from analyzing and using your tax data any way the chose to.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

It's not clear to me from the two currently active TURBOTAX posts: Can I now download Turbotax for 2014 using my Vanguard discount? Or is it still "Coming soon"?
runner26

Post by runner26 »

Leesbro63 wrote:It's not clear to me from the two currently active TURBOTAX posts: Can I now download Turbotax for 2014 using my Vanguard discount? Or is it still "Coming soon"?
I just checked. Not yet. Based on past years, I expect it by this Friday. Maybe a day or two earlier.
jidina80

Post by jidina80 »

SpringMan wrote:Last year the TT Deluxe edition handled Schedule D which was free. It appears this year one must upgrade to the Premiere edition for $9.99 to include Schedule D. I hope I am wrong about that. As most investors probably do, I need Schedule D.
It's absurd to call a tax filing product "Deluxe" and not include Schedule D.
Toons

Post by Toons »

blevine wrote:
You can use software and read the actual forms and instructions before you efile.
+1 :happy
The IRS definitely prefers to receive tax returns in e-file format because it is much easier for them to process. More than 80 percent of all tax payers are already filing electronically.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
macaroon

Post by macaroon »

BrandonBogle wrote:
macaroon wrote: John151 is correct. This was verified by Bob Meighan of TurboTax. You can prepare a Schedule D in Deluxe manually (the interview function is not there for Schedule D) but you cannot e-file it. To be able to e-file a Schedule D, you must have Premier.
Thanks Macaroon and John! I must find the recent discussions. The last thread I read with Bob putting in commentary was about the 2013 version of TT.
Here's Bob Meighan's open review on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-rev ... ef=pdp_new . It explains the changes being discussed here.