Medigap policy change. This seems like a no brainier.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Hexdump

Medigap policy change. This seems like a no brainier.

Post by Hexdump »

So of course I will need to check it out.

I presently have plan "G" and for 2015 will pay a monthly premium of $183.57 (183.57 x 12 = $2,202.84)
The high-ded plan "F" monthly premium will be $50.42. (50.42 x 12 = $695.04)

The 2015 deductible for plan F will be $2,180.

Ignoring the $147.00 part B deductible, it seems like plan F is a clear winner in that the most that at most, I will pay $2,180 + 695 and that will only be if I use the services a lot, vs $2,202.84.
For 2014 TTD, plan G has paid $484.00

Are there any other things that I should be considering ?
drawpoker

Re: Medigap policy change. This seems like a no brainier.

Post by drawpoker »

If your health is good now, great. If your health takes a turn for the worse you likely won't be able to switch back to Plan G. Texas does not have any special rules (like CA & OR) to allow you to switch back.

Remember, once you are out of the Open Enrollment period or have a qualifying event to put you into a Guaranteed Issue period, (those are the times that medical underwriting is not allowed) you can be refused Medigap insurance, or, if not outright refused, charged the very highest (class III or IV) premium for the plan.
rixer

Re: Medigap policy change. This seems like a no brainier.

Post by rixer »

Plan F Hi-D is a good choice. And if your health takes a turn for the worse, it will cover your expenses as well as reg plan F will or plan G as well.

Add up your "out of pocket expenses" and you'll see Plan F Hi-D is about the same if used a lot and cheaper on those months you don't have any issues.