Create a Social Security Account (pre SS age)?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
dbCooperAir

Create a Social Security Account (pre SS age)?

Post by dbCooperAir »

Have some of the younger folks created a SS account? Part of me says not to do it, its just one more account with sensitive information to get hacked.

http://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/
You probably plan to receive Social Security benefits someday. Maybe you already do. Either way, you’ll want a my Social Security account to:
•Keep track of your earnings and verify them every year;
•Get an estimate of your future benefits if you are still working;
•Get a letter with proof of your benefits if you currently receive them; and
•Manage your benefits:
◦Change your address; and
◦Start or change your direct deposit.

I have used this to get an idea of where I stand.
https://secure.ssa.gov/acu/ACU_KBA/main ... e=en&LVL=4

I did keep copies of the statements they used to send in the mail.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
mhc

Re: Create a Social Security Account (pre SS age)?

Post by mhc »

I created an account when they stopped sending out paper statements. I am in my mid-40s. I wanted to see my benefits.

My information is in the government system regardless of if I create an account or not.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

mhc wrote:I created an account when they stopped sending out paper statements. I am in my mid-40s. I wanted to see my benefits.

My information is in the government system regardless of if I create an account or not.
Ditto, except I'm 30. I was interested in knowing the estimated survivor benefits and disability benefits, since that is useful information for my wife to know if anything were to happen to me.
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

I created mine (and DW's) at about 50 or so. Two reasons: 1) to easily double check the numbers; 2) to get a strong password so that if I were hacked elsewhere, no one could go in and set my account up before I got there.
Our personal blog (no ads) of why we saved/invested: https://www.lisajtravels.com/
Topic Author
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

JDCarpenter wrote:I created mine (and DW's) at about 50 or so. Two reasons: 1) to easily double check the numbers; 2) to get a strong password so that if I were hacked elsewhere, no one could go in and set my account up before I got there.
I never thought about the flip side, same reason why I try to get my taxes filed early!
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-