Just wondering how you personally calculate net worth

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
UADM

Just wondering how you personally calculate net worth

Post by UADM »

Let's say you have 3 accounts:

Taxable account- 100k
Roth IRA- 10k
Tax Deferred pension account- 100k

Would you say that you are worth 210k? The taxable account has had taxes paid on the gains each year, whereas the pension will have taxes to be paid in the future. Just curious as to how most people view it. Thanks!
Sidney

Re: Just wondering how you personally calculate net worth

Post by Sidney »

I don't adjust anything. The only time I create a Net Worth statement is to provide it to the attorney who prepared my will.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

I discount my tax deferred holdings by 25%. An arbitrary number I pulled out of a hat. I don't discount taxable holdings by the cap gains rate on the gains, although for consistency I should.
Topic Author
UADM

Post by UADM »

Sidney wrote:I don't adjust anything. The only time I create a Net Worth statement is to provide it to the attorney who prepared my will.
This isn't for anything official. It is just for fun. I was just wondering how other people view it.
Topic Author
UADM

Post by UADM »

Chan_va wrote:I discount my tax deferred holdings by 25%. An arbitrary number I pulled out of a hat. I don't discount taxable holdings by the cap gains rate on the gains, although for consistency I should.
Before I had a taxable account, I was inflating my Roth IRA by 50%, assuming that 33% would go to taxes from my pension account. Now that I have a taxable, it makes sense to do the reverse, like you are saying.
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

Depends on what you're calculating it for.

For an on death number, the unrealized capital gains go away with the step-up in basis. The amounts in an IRA (traditional) probably should be expressed as the after-tax amounts available to heirs.

You can view it any way you like, but your question shows that you understand that there is a difference if the amounts are "pre-tax" or after tax.
lululu

Post by lululu »

UADM wrote:Let's say you have 3 accounts:

Taxable account- 100k
Roth IRA- 10k

Would you say that you are worth 210k? The taxable account has had taxes paid on the gains each year, whereas the pension will have taxes to be paid in the future. Just curious as to how most people view it. Thanks!
No. Whenever I think in terms of net worth, I remember that my traditional IRA amounts will have taxes deducted. I also don't count my house, since I need a roof over my head and don't plan to sell it.
Zabar

Post by Zabar »

Taxable account- 100k
Roth IRA- 10k

First of all, I can't tell this person's net worth because the other side of the equation--liabilities--is missing!

I do three calculations.

Net Worth: Assets minus Liabilities.

Discounted Net worth: Assets (with tIRA and similar funds discounted by 35%) minus Liabilities.
Discounted Liquid Net Worth: Discounted Net Worth minus A/R, real estate, automobiles and other tangible assets. I think of this as "gun to your head" net worth--a phrase that my accountant says he likes. :sharebeer
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

UADM wrote:
Sidney wrote:I don't adjust anything. The only time I create a Net Worth statement is to provide it to the attorney who prepared my will.
This isn't for anything official. It is just for fun. I was just wondering how other people view it.
What you are using it for will determine how you calculate it. What are you using it for?
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I keep it simple: Assets minus Liabilities = Net Worth
Johno

Post by Johno »

In my tracking spreadsheet I a keep a monthly history of net asset value, which is minus notional liabilities for future taxes on IRA's (I use 32%) and on unrealized capital gains (25%). I estimate expected returns and set future spending goals on the same basis. Particularly for IRA's it's really not accurate to compare them $ for $ with unappreciated assets in taxable accounts: they're substantially smaller in after tax $'s, which is what you have to have to get the goods and services you need.

Of course in a second stage you need to subtract tangible liabilities also (debt, payables, etc) to get new worth.

The twist on capital gains though is that they aren't ever due if you die before liquidating the position, so it's not accurate from heir's POV; OTOH if the estate is big enough there's a discount in the value due to estate tax from heir's POV.

However I assume that when/if people state or intimate a portfolio value, the vast majority are not making any such correction. OTOH a lot of them don't include their houses either when it's like half or more their actual worth! :D
Last edited by Johno on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cfs

Post by cfs »

UADM wrote:
Total $ in All IRAs + Total $ in Defined Contribution Plan + Total $ in Taxable Account + Total $ in Money Market Account - Total $ owed in Mortgage = This is what I have.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Personally, I don't.

Well, ... you asked.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I don't calculate net worth. I'm concerned about whether my investments and savings plus growth will cover my expenses plus inflation for the rest of my life. But if I was going to calculate net worth I'd include the value of everything I own ... house, cars, personal property, saving and investments, etc. not just the savings and investments. Other than bragging rights when I'm with someone poorer than me what's my net worth worth?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
HornedToad

Post by HornedToad »

Assets - Liabilities....

I don't discount for taxable vs. tax deferred. I do depreciate cars but I just hold houses at purchase price for simplicity and so I can see how my net worth changes from things I can actually control.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Ron Ronnerson wrote:I keep it simple: Assets minus Liabilities = Net Worth

+1 :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
UADM

Post by UADM »

cheese_breath wrote:I don't calculate net worth. I'm concerned about whether my investments and savings plus growth will cover my expenses plus inflation for the rest of my life. But if I was going to calculate net worth I'd include the value of everything I own ... house, cars, personal property, saving and investments, etc. not just the savings and investments. Other than bragging rights when I'm with someone poorer than me what's my net worth worth?

I was just wondering about the thoughts process of other people. I am only interested in retirement savings. The taxable account I referred to is money only to be used for retirement or emergencies.
DonCamillo

Post by DonCamillo »

I keep everything in a spreadsheet that I update in January each year. There is a little "How am I doing?" in the spreadsheet, but the main purpose is as a tax record and second purpose is a planning tool for things like asset allocation. After tax values are mostly irrelevant, as I take out less than the annual growth and plan to continue that even after full retirement. The taxes that matter to me are the taxes on minimum required distributions from retirement accounts, and dividend and capital gains in taxable.
Les vieillards aiment à donner de bons préceptes, pour se consoler de n'être plus en état de donner de mauvais exemples. | (François, duc de La Rochefoucauld, maxim 93)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

In my head. No need for great accuracy.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

Net Worth = Assets - Liabilities. I mark them to market. That which can't be marked to market, at least aproximately, I don't include in the calculation. A pension, for example, unless it has an immediately-realizable price I can opt to obtain, isn't part of the equation. Social Security is contingent on future events (my staying alive). I can't sell it today. For that matter, under Federal law, I can't sell it later, either.

When I want to use a number for another purpose, I use it, rather than pretending Net Worth doesn't mean what Net Worth means.

If the number I want to use has a name, and I know what it is, I call it by its name.

In answer to OP's question, that's what I personally do.

PJW
Last edited by Phineas J. Whoopee on Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

I calculate mine aperiodically.

After tax would be better, even though the future tax rate I or heirs will pay is unknown, but I don't bother.

I don't count pension, social security, etc that I do not own and can get as a lump sum. I suppose if I had a pension I knew I could take as a lump sum at any time I might count it, but I only have a regular pension (coming).

I don't actually do anything with the figure. I do like to see it go up. And mostly it goes up. 2008 or so was not so nice.

FWIW I subtract mortgage and if I had a significant loan of another sort I would take that out as well.
Last edited by Rodc on Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
midareff

Post by midareff »

If I was going to do a net worth, which I don't, I would take .75% of IRA + ROTH + taxable + home equity. Since my pension does not survive me it does not apply.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Why do you need this number to be accurate? If a large number makes you feel good, then multiply the taxable account by your tax rate. You can make it even bigger by adding pension and social security that you have earned. Some people would even add their unused vacation days.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I've not computed my net worth for a few decades now.
It's of no concern to me.
What matters is my financial assets and income in retirement...
Attempted new signature...
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

flyingaway wrote:Why do you need this number to be accurate? If a large number makes you feel good, then multiply the taxable account by your tax rate. You can make it even bigger by adding pension and social security that you have earned. Some people would even add their unused vacation days.
:)

And maybe their watches.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

midareff wrote:If I was going to do a net worth, which I don't, I would take .75% of IRA + ROTH + taxable + home equity. Since my pension does not survive me it does not apply.
Would you adjust home equity by your current long term capital gains rate less $250,000 (or $500,000, if you're married in a state in which which the federal government recognizes your personal marriage), and if so, what do you use as your assumption for your long-term capital gains tax rate, including AMT, additions, and phase-outs?

That is to say, not picking on you personally, these adjustments to the standard definition of net worth seem awfully contingent and imprecise to me, especially if carried to a third significant figure.

PJW
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Actually,Vanguard does it for me every day on it's site.
All the Best, | Joe
azanon

Post by azanon »

Chan_va wrote:I discount my tax deferred holdings by 25%. An arbitrary number I pulled out of a hat. I don't discount taxable holdings by the cap gains rate on the gains, although for consistency I should.
An interesting consideration - to discount a tax deferred holding.

But if I did that, let's say I have 50K in a traditional IRA and another 50K in a regular, taxable account, both in the same exact fund, then which one will be worth more in 15 years, even after the taxes are paid on the former? Silly question - of course the traditional IRA (provided that it generated reasonable returns).

So why the heck would I discount the account that would blow away the taxable one, even after I pay the taxes?! Hell, if I didn't fully expect that to be true, I wouldn't have ever put it in the IRA in the first place!

The better question is do I inflate my IRAs, especially the Roths? No, but perhaps I should!
Last edited by azanon on Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

UADM wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:I don't calculate net worth. I'm concerned about whether my investments and savings plus growth will cover my expenses plus inflation for the rest of my life. But if I was going to calculate net worth I'd include the value of everything I own ... house, cars, personal property, saving and investments, etc. not just the savings and investments. Other than bragging rights when I'm with someone poorer than me what's my net worth worth?

...... I am only interested in retirement savings. The taxable account I referred to is money only to be used for retirement or emergencies.
Then you should probably use a different them than "net worth"

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/n/networth.asp
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

azanon wrote:

But if I did that, let's say I have 50K in a traditional IRA and another 50K in a regular, taxable account, both in the same exact fund, then which one will be worth more in 15 years, even after the taxes are paid on the former? Silly question - of course the traditional IRA (provided that it generated reasonable returns).

So why the heck would I discount the account that would blow away the taxable one, even after I pay the taxes?! Hell, if I didn't fully expect that to be true, I wouldn't have ever put it in the IRA in the first place!

The better question is do I inflate my IRAs, especially the Roths? No, but perhaps I should!
Huh? How would the IRA blow away the taxable fund in your scenario? Run the numbers. Tax deferral isn't some magic bullet.
dewey

Post by dewey »

I treat net worth in terms of investable assets. Home equity is excluded. Personal property excluded. Keep it simple. I don't try to parse SS as part of net worth--for a variety of reasons. Same with a small pension. Investable assets, period. What can I pass on when I die? Investable assets, plus whatever else. But the main piece in my mind is investable assets. It means I'm worth more than I think. But I prefer it that way--since I'm not wealthy by most measures.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Assets at current value minus selling expenses (like for a house) minus liabilities. I do not subtract anything for future taxes.

In the OP's case, if the pension is some kind of cash-balance deal, I'd count my net worth at 210k.
market timer

Post by market timer »

UADM wrote:Would you say that you are worth 210k? The taxable account has had taxes paid on the gains each year, whereas the pension will have taxes to be paid in the future. Just curious as to how most people view it. Thanks!
I think it's worth putting together a simple Excel spreadsheet with assumptions on taxes and interest rates to get a sense for how much to discount the taxable and tax deferred account vs. Roth. I'd also recommend including present value of Social Security into your net worth calculations. Not including accrued Social Security benefits underestimates the amount you save while working.
IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Taxable account- 100k
Roth IRA- 10k

I do it two ways. The traditional approach I see espoused is to just add everything up (210k in your example), and I maintain that number.

In my mega spreadsheet I have a value I call "cash-out net worth" which is an estimate of how much cash I could put in the mattress if I liquidated everything in a short amount of time. So in your example the taxable account is essentially the taxable account less 15% of any unrealized gains, the Roth IRA is the Roth less 10% penalty tax, and I'm not sure about the pension account, but assuming you could cash it out, it would be the value less any taxes and penalties do. I don't know what practical value of knowing that number, but when I have my occasional daydreams of selling everything and fading from the grid, I have a ballpark number. :D
Don't do something. Just stand there!
PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 »

I use the assets less liabilities approach. I don't consider deferred taxes on retirement accounts because I don't know what tax bracket I'll be in retirement. My plan is to pay as little tax as possible in retirement and I will be trying to beef up my tax-free accounts over the next few years to accomplish that goal.

I include everything in my assets. An asset is an asset. Therefore, I include all cash, stocks, bonds, trade-in value of 3 cars, two houses, even the garage sale value of my belongings. Like I said I include everything. No liabilities, so my assets equal my net worth.
DonCamillo

Post by DonCamillo »

dewey wrote:I treat net worth in terms of investable assets. Home equity is excluded. Personal property excluded. Keep it simple. I don't try to parse SS as part of net worth--for a variety of reasons. Same with a small pension. Investable assets, period. What can I pass on when I die? Investable assets, plus whatever else. But the main piece in my mind is investable assets. It means I'm worth more than I think. But I prefer it that way--since I'm not wealthy by most measures.
Just to show how meaningless net worth is, when I retired from AT&T I had a cash balance in my pension. On retirement, instead of taking a lump sum, I took a pension. My "net worth" dropped instantly by the amount of the cash balance. I have since received pension payments significantly more than that balance was and expect to recover more than that sum again over during my remaining life expectancy.

I have two concerns that have to be addressed from my future resources: 1) Income after I stop working 2) Large expenses like vacations, medical problems, home repairs, new cars, etc. If I have enough to meet those two needs, I am satisfied. Notice that pensions and social security, not included in net worth, are more important than wealth in addressing the first concern.
Les vieillards aiment à donner de bons préceptes, pour se consoler de n'être plus en état de donner de mauvais exemples. | (François, duc de La Rochefoucauld, maxim 93)
rob

Post by rob »

I don't change the concept of "net worth" to be something it isn't BUT I don't care much about it.

What I suspect your getting at..... I calculate a number for retirement purposes (don't know what label to put on it) - Removing money market, emergency funds, value of the house (and mortgage - which is my only debt), anything for kids education e.t.c. and then I discount pre-tax monies (25%), taxable (15%) and roth's not discounted. This is the number I try and grow to match a WAG target (using a 4% swr). I actually have 2 targets - a "floor" bare min target and a "good" (whatever that means) target - I WAG both targets values from current expenses. I'm not close enough to worry about equity in the house or social security and just consider those a buffer - if I was closer to retirement I would certainly take those into account.

Whatever you do remember this is all a WAG to some degree..... don't pretend this is an exact thing, although maybe Guess or Projection are better terms if your within a couple of years.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

azanon wrote:

Networth is not a projection to some point in the future.

Networth is the value of assets today - liabilities today.

Now projecting into the future to gauge how things will look in the future relative to desired future state can be useful, but that is not a networth calculation.
sesq

Post by sesq »

I do a monthly calc of all assets and all liabilities. I record a deferred tax liability for a portion of my tax deferred accounts, currently I use 30% as my estimate for a blended tax rate to include Fed/State/local/impact of means-testing. The house is just zillow, cars are KBB. Zillow lags reality a bit, which I figure would be my selling costs.

I have a separate tally for financial assets, fin assets net 529s (don't fully consider it "mine"), and fin assets net taxes. I don't have much in taxable accounts, so I don't usually record deferred taxes on any gains there. The mortgage is nearly paid, so that may be a factor soon. I'd probably use a lower blended rate for that.
209south

Post by 209south »

I built an excel spreadsheet to track my portfolio and help with rebalancing, etc. The cover page has a 'Net Assets' schedule, just for fun. I carry my portfolio net of estimated taxes (on RMDs etc) and capital gains taxes...for 'net assets' purposes I carry my home at 'net realizable value', which I approximate as 90% of a conservative estimate of selling price (the 10% would cover commissions, legal, etc.)...also for net assets purposes I have a conservative 'Accrued Liabilities' section which covers important capital items I will be paying over the next several years (kids' college tuition, house needs painting in two years, we need a new car in next 18 months, etc.).
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

Basically assets-liabilities, but I don't add things like cars or jewelry, and I exclude the checking account because that money is generally earmarked for some future expense. So it's:

All retirement and non-retirement investment accounts
Savings accounts
Real Estate

Less:

Mortgages/Heloc on the real estate

This is just for my own tracking purpose. The real estate is not counted in the part of the spreadsheet where I project the "number" that I'll need to retire (i.e. the portfolio I need so I can retire and withdraw 4% or less).

I do have a defined benefit plan as well. I don't count any value of that as part of my net worth, but it does reduce the income needed to be supported by my portfolio in retirement.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

Assets - Liabilities.

Basically, all of my bank accounts, credit accounts, loans, retirement accounts, investment accounts, the house, and the vehicles.

I don't bother beyond that as most things are worth only a couple hundred at most. The items listed above are also auto-tallied in Mint, so I really don't have to calculate it myself.

I don't discount/inflate anything, as I won't liquidate everything in the same year or possibly ever, therefore I can't know what the tax on it may be. Besides, if I lost my job and had to live on it, I would be taxed at 0% anyways.
jared

Post by jared »

Assets - Liabilities.

I track my personal finances in QuickBooks. My house and vehicles are included as assets on the balance sheet at a conservative value and adjusted as necessary. My mortgage is a liability on the balance sheet. On a monthly basis, I reconcile bank accounts and make adjusting entries to account for earnings and change in value in my IRAs and HSAs.

I consider my net worth to be the Total Equity line on my balance sheet (assets - liabilities) with the simple understanding that the liquidation of my account(s) or sale of asset(s) might have tax consequences. It's very easy to print comparative balance sheets by month or by year to see how my overall net worth has changed over time, including the changes in each individual asset and liability that are a part of my net worth.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

I don't tax adjust because I don't know what the tax rate will be on the various components. I have run the calculation to create a reasonable estimate and have that saved on a separate tab.

Minnesota has a low inheritance tax threshold and that complicates matters a great deal.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Assets - Liabilities = Sum that is then multiplied by 0.50% to account for taxes and others thoughts on what my net worth should really be! :)
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

It's not a number that is of value to me so I don't worry about how best to calculate it.
Imdeng

Post by Imdeng »

All Financial Assets (Retirement, Brokerage, Bank, Defined Benefit Pension Plans) Minus All Debts (Student Loan, Mortgage, Credit Card). This is the number that I track on an ongoing basis.

Note that I do not consider House, Cars, Jewelry etc in Assets since they are not available to me for spending/using/investing.
Topic Author
UADM

Post by UADM »

DonCamillo wrote:
dewey wrote:I treat net worth in terms of investable assets. Home equity is excluded. Personal property excluded. Keep it simple. I don't try to parse SS as part of net worth--for a variety of reasons. Same with a small pension. Investable assets, period. What can I pass on when I die? Investable assets, plus whatever else. But the main piece in my mind is investable assets. It means I'm worth more than I think. But I prefer it that way--since I'm not wealthy by most measures.
Just to show how meaningless net worth is, when I retired from AT&T I had a cash balance in my pension. On retirement, instead of taking a lump sum, I took a pension. My "net worth" dropped instantly by the amount of the cash balance. I have since received pension payments significantly more than that balance was and expect to recover more than that sum again over during my remaining life expectancy.

I have two concerns that have to be addressed from my future resources: 1) Income after I stop working 2) Large expenses like vacations, medical problems, home repairs, new cars, etc. If I have enough to meet those two needs, I am satisfied. Notice that pensions and social security, not included in net worth, are more important than wealth in addressing the first concern.
I hate to say it, but pensions are pretty much gone for my generation, outside of a handful of mostly government jobs, so it isn't something I even consider.
Topic Author
UADM

Post by UADM »

cheese_breath wrote:
UADM wrote:

...... I am only interested in retirement savings. The taxable account I referred to is money only to be used for retirement or emergencies.
Then you should probably use a different them than "net worth"

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/n/networth.asp
You are right. Retirement savings total is what I meant.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

An equally valid question is, how do you calculate your height? I include my feet, and my head, when measuring my height.