Deleted

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
letsgobobby

Deleted

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Texas hold em71

Re: "I've had it" at work - how often

Post by Texas hold em71 »

Once a quarter? Finance for a large company. I have had the good luck of always following these days with some interaction with someone in another field with similar frustrations which reminds me that the grass is not always greener. I do occasionally encounter one of those "do what you love and never work a day in your life" people and while it is tempting to punch them in the throat I am pretty sure they are all liars or have really low expectations :D
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

It's directly proportional to my age. Not to be funny but when you have a young family depending on you - you suck it up and move on. When you are contemplating early retirement and running 400 firecalc scenarios that work that leave assets for for ungrateful heirs, you have a hair trigger. Also a health scare can change perspective.
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

letsgobobby wrote:How often do you come home from a day at work and say to yourself, 'That was bulls---. I don't need this in my life - I'm done."

Let me know your age/tenure, your field, and how often the above occurs.

If it is never, I'm envious. I assume most of us have this from time to time. I had one of those days yesterday, but I think it was exacerbated by the fact that I was treating several colleagues who were also so exacerbated by the work, the work environment, our employer/administrative leadership, that it made a 'usual bad day' more of an outlier.

I would think if I had the above experiences weekly, I'd quit and retire or find another job. If it were yearly, I'd grin and bear it. Currently I am somewhere in between. I'd say this occurs 1-2x per month. I am wondering if this is normal, or if it'd be any different anywhere else, in any other work environment, in some other field.
Hah! Would you include thinking "I'm ready to quit, I'm ready to quit" the entire way up on the elevator in the morning? I'll assume so.

Happens erratically, basically depending upon work level. If I can't fill up my days and am not busy enough to justify working at least one weekend day, I get bored. During those stretches, it is daily--and I spend time on discussion boards. When we are slammed preparing for a couple of trials and I'm busy 11/12 hours a day, plus solid days on both Sat/Sun, it never comes up. Luckily, no issues with co-workers and clients are usually not a problem.

Age: mid 54, commercial litigation (this time in a boutique firm), tenure is weird...say, 6th year of second time in private practice. Probably another 2-3 years of work, but if I had the level of frustration you are talking about (rather than just occasional boredom), I'd call it quits earlier. Of course, that would involve telling DW, our primary earner, that she'd have to work an extra year if we really want to do such fancy/lengthy trips in retirement. :twisted:
Our personal blog (no ads) of why we saved/invested: https://www.lisajtravels.com/
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

When I worked as a programmer, regularly. Maybe 2-3 times a month. But I had a boss who was (probably still is) an idiot.

I left that job in favor of one that pays less, but in over a year, I haven't had a single "I've had it" moment -- and several "this is why I love this job" moments.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

I'm 52, an Engineering Project Manager, and have this feeling just about everyday now...
midareff

Post by midareff »

It was way too often, maybe every other week, the last few years prior to retirement in 4/2012 at age 64. The politics at a municipal managerial job became insane with 13 commissioners and a new mayor all trying to look good to the voters at the expense of staff, not to mention a few less than forthright statements they fed the newspapers, who in turn placed their own sensational spin on things. To go with that nonsense came a new 10% of salary contribution to health care and the elimination of colas and several classes of monetary benefits bringing the total give back to the 20% range. It was time to check the math and mine looked good with some spare and it truly was, "I've had it".
sign_of_life

Post by sign_of_life »

I'm in my late 30's and have been in the same career path since my early 20's so over 15 years with the same company. I have always really liked what I did, but it can be pretty intense/high stress along with constantly changing assignments and lots of work travel and time away from home.

Until recently I thrived on the variety and lack of routine and never had any thoughts about changing gears, but about two years ago I suddenly felt some significant burnout kick in that I haven't been able to shake completely. This coincided with the entrance of new management who have taken away a lot of my autonomy in place of a more micro-management/bureaucratic style. My duties are primarily the same, but a lot of the small liberties I used to take for granted have disappeared. I didn't realize how much that flexibility contributed to my peace of mind, but since then my stress levels have skyrocketed and feel like my career is beginning to encroach on my family and other aspects of my personal life. In addition, I have a few small health issues that, while presently minor, could hinder enjoyment of my retirement years.

The burn out comes and goes but I have a "I've had it" moment at least once a month and I have started to look at my alternatives. I've been fighting back the more extreme urges to go back to college, become a stay at home dad, or drop everything and expatriate to central America. I have also run enough FireCalc sims to know I have more than a few years to go before I could early retire unless I want to live a Mr. Money Mustache pauper lifestyle (I don't). Realistically, my industry and career is very specialized, so it would be hard to escape where I am now, so I think my best hope is for a lateral move to somewhere more independent as moving further up the ladder would put me closer to the belly of the beast.

On a positive note, it is these feelings that have compelled me to get our financial house in order and am quite happy with the changes we have made on a personal finance and retirement level. Whatever happens in the future, I know these decisions will help provide some security and peace of mind down the road.
hoppy08520

Post by hoppy08520 »

I'm a software product manager and I get this feeling a couple of times a month. But then I also like my job a lot at other times. Sometimes I feel baffled that I can veer between extremes so frequently.

I've been in software development and product management for 15+ years and I think I've always been like that. I might have a bit of a volatile personality.

In spite of these waves, I've actually been at the same company for 15+ years, and during that time I've had multiple bosses, several ownership changes, and have worked on quite a few product lines. If I were doing the same thing for all that time, I'd have gone crazy long ago.

I've reconciled myself to the fact that in work, like life itself, there are good days and bad days.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Maybe I was the guy creating the BS, so I never felt this way. Instead of saying "I've had it" I got others around me to adjust.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
soaring

Post by soaring »

happened once upon return from two week vacation after 17 yrs...even before returning to work. Had planned to work another 8-10 years was 57 at the time. I quit, I retired (was tired), couldn't deal with 80-90 hr weeks. Retail mgmt...low level Director, multi-locations. Last week of notice VP had me remain on payroll for future needs. Luckily for me 11 years later I've built back to 50% of salary doing online consulting work....without the hours and responsibility.
Desiderata
Downeastah

Post by Downeastah »

50 yo, Pathology. Yes, pretty much on a weekly basis. The medical field used to be a great place to work, not so much anymore. I'll stick it out for another 8-10 years, then I'm done. If I didn't have so much invested in time, education, etc. I would have done it about ten years ago when all the BS was heading our way!
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton, Jr. | | "A man does good business, when he rids himself of a turd." King Edward I of England
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

I was a proposal manager working to hard RFP deadlines, with lots of red tape and gotchas that could get us kicked out of a bid. When I was doing 2-3 proposals at a time 15 years ago I was miserable and wanted to quit all the time, but knew I had a lot more years to work. Plus all my good work references were right there so applying elsewhere was a nonstarter.

When the RFPs stopped coming so fast after Y2k it was a huge relief, but eventually management realized I wasn't as useful as I had been. Fortunately the minutiae of my duties were so repulsive to everyone, especially Sales, that no one scrutinized my day very closely. I eventually got to do some documentation writing but I was always very careful before that to not threaten someone else's turf..finally things got so slow that I was laid off.

So to me, work is hell and I can't imagine anything in an office that wouldn't be so.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

never - 32, 3 years at current employer, 12+ in industry overall, major .com/software development industry

At a previous job, it was perhaps 3 or 4 times per year. The employer makes all the difference.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Never. I've resigned twice from jobs but I don't think either really matches your description. If "never" sounds way too rosy, then, let's say, apart from the two times I was laid off, I don't think there have been six times in forty years that I have seriously gone home and seriously started working on updating my résumé.

I know people scoff at "follow your bliss" and "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life*" but I worked as a software engineer for forty years and always felt that it was amazing that THEY would pay ME to do it. Like being paid to play with a big electric train set. I worked for good managers and bad managers. I worked in a startup with twelve people and in a Fortune 500 company with 30,000 people. I've worked for at least one person I really think was literally a sociopath; for two people who weren't sociopaths, just bullies; one perfectly reasonable person who had demonstrated the Peter Principle by rising in the company to the level of his incompetence, and four excellent and talented managers. I have resigned from jobs twice, once because I thought the company was going under, and once because, having been told I would be programming in mainstream language "A," I had in fact been programming in niche language "B" for two years and was concerned about the erosion of my marketable skills.

I have been at times frustrated, scared, and angry. I have worked at things I thought were pointless, and have at times not been given what I needed in order to work to my personal standards of quality. My time in the Fortune 500 was fascinating--it was right out of "Dilbert," and there were software engineers who had worked there for ten years and had never had any code that went into a product that shipped. Nevertheless what I was actually doing was interesting. In all of my other jobs, I went home feeling that I'd made progress on some reasonably craftsmanlike thing that was going to be of some use to somebody.

*Attributed to Confucius.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

letsgobobby wrote:How often do you come home from a day at work and say to yourself, 'That was bulls---. I don't need this in my life - I'm done."

I never thought it would come to this but a few times a week. Hospital pharmacist with 30 years on the job. The job has changed so much in the last five years. It started when a for profit hospital chain bought the place. It is a relatively large place and we used to have approximately 12 pharmacists on days to cover drug distribution and clinical services. So, they whittled us down to eight pharmacists and it was tough. Recently a consultant came in and said four or five pharmacists is all we need. That isn't implemented yet but it is impossible. It was a great job but I see the end approaching quickly.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Achelois

Post by Achelois »

Every hour of every day at work for the past eight years.

I retired this June and cannot express how glad I am to be out.
cfs

Post by cfs »

From my side of the keyboard.

Military - Over three decades on active duty military--which I consider the best job on this planet--I could not remember one of those "I've had it" moments.
Civilian - Working as a military contractor as a member of a high performing team, we were way too busy competing with other teams to even think about those "I've had it" moments.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

letsgobobby wrote:
If it is never, I'm envious. I assume most of us have this from time to time.
Other than an HR manager who might be the most slimy and biggest habitual liar I have ever met, I have yet to have a single reason to say this in 2.5yrs with my current employer. Health director for a ~300 employee public organization, far and away the best and least stressful environment I have ever worked in. There are trade-offs, they can not pay me even close to what someone with my education and experience is worth in the private sector, but you can't put a price on the flexibility and lack of stress. But yeah, that HR manager.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Never. I enjoy what I do. Most of my colleagues feel the same.
plannerman

Post by plannerman »

That's why they call it work.

plannerman

Post by 555 »

My work itself is okay. But the workplace is absolutely toxic. I'm desperate to get away. I should be financially independent in less than ten years. Until then I just have to survive.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

I have a bad day maybe every year or two. I am a senior manager in a smaller manufacturing company (300+ employees). I find that my job satisfaction goes up as I have more control.

I always thought when I reached critical mass, I would retire. Now that I am there, I find I have no interest in quitting, at least not yet. Work is great except for the hour commute each way.

There was a recent WSJ article that said you should consider quitting in your 50s and 60s if you are able. Then I look at people like the late Joe Paterno, Janet Yellen and the Who, who are going out on a demanding 50th Anniversary tour. Some of us just like what we do, I guess.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

nisiprius wrote:Never. I've resigned twice from jobs but I don't think either really matches your description. If "never" sounds way too rosy, then, let's say, apart from the two times I was laid off, I don't think there have been six times in forty years that I have seriously gone home and seriously started working on updating my résumé.

I know people scoff at "follow your bliss" and "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life*" but I worked as a software engineer for forty years and always felt that it was amazing that THEY would pay ME to do it. Like being paid to play with a big electric train set. I worked for good managers and bad managers. I worked in a startup with twelve people and in a Fortune 500 company with 30,000 people. I've worked for at least one person I really think was literally a sociopath; for two people who weren't sociopaths, just bullies; one perfectly reasonable person who had demonstrated the Peter Principle by rising in the company to the level of his incompetence, and four excellent and talented managers. I have resigned from jobs twice, once because I thought the company was going under, and once because, having been told I would be programming in mainstream language "A," I had in fact been programming in niche language "B" for two years and was concerned about the erosion of my marketable skills.

I have been at times frustrated, scared, and angry. I have worked at things I thought were pointless, and have at times not been given what I needed in order to work to my personal standards of quality. My time in the Fortune 500 was fascinating--it was right out of "Dilbert," and there were software engineers who had worked there for ten years and had never had any code that went into a product that shipped. Nevertheless what I was actually doing was interesting. In all of my other jobs, I went home feeling that I'd made progress on some reasonably craftsmanlike thing that was going to be of some use to somebody.

*Attributed to Confucius.
I guess the key must be to avoid moving into management, the mistake I made 15 long years ago :oops:
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Mid 30s. I feel it about once a week. One of the things I do is run a program that, even when being run 100% perfectly, gets all of the complaints and none of the glory compared to others. I probably have one of the least envied jobs in the company. At least I get to do it "my way" and management stays out of my path.

Unfortunately or fortunately my employer has one of the best pay/benefit setups in my industry, so it is very difficult to go elsewhere without somehow taking a cut. That is why I stay. Fortunately my coworkers are all too busy working their butts off to deal in any workplace politics/drama.
stlutz

Post by stlutz »

I guess the key must be to avoid moving into management, the mistake I made 15 long years ago
For people who were in management and moved out of it, did you do it with the same employer or did you move to another company

I moved into a management role a year or so ago and would like to move out. I have an "I quit" day about once per week.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I worked as an employee or a volunteer in some fields that had a fair number of those days. It just came with the territory. However, I would never have considered doing anything else.

There came a time, though, when getting away from it all was pretty important. I was lucky to have one boss who understood when I called in for a "mental health day". She almost always said yes. The only time she said no was when it just couldn't be worked out.

As I recall, you are in one of those jobs as well. Maybe you need a day off. Or a few days off? When was the last time you took a real vacation? It can make a world of difference.

Good luck!
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I get tired of the time demands of my job regularly but that has more to do with me being overcommitted in my life. That said I am financially in the best gig of my life and I work with a lot of very smart people. The environment can border on chaos but that is why they picked me. I get more tired of my overall life than my job. Probably the only time I really get tired of my job are those few occassions when things are operating below capacity (boring). I enjoy the constatnt challenge of having to figure new things out or learn about new things. Always have enjoyed having to connect the dots.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

During most of my career I was fortunate to be content with my work. The fluctuation were mostly on the positive side with several notable highs and generally shallow lows. However, I had two situations in which I was close to resigning. In the retrospect, I am glad that I stayed. Very glad.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Mid-30s. Senior IT manager. I do have days where company politics and people who want to stroke their ego but overall I cant complain. I work from home and only see my co-workers and managers once a year.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
mwm158

Post by mwm158 »

deleted
Last edited by mwm158 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
joe135

Post by joe135 »

mid 40s in medicine. "ive had it" occurs maybe every 3-4 months. But when it does, it lasts for about 2-3 weeks before I can shake the feeling off. Had one of those days last week. Still can't shake it. On other hand, how often is it 'i love this job'? never. will go another 10 yrs and get out.
IPer

Post by IPer »

Texas hold em71 wrote:Once a quarter? Finance for a large company. I have had the good luck of always following these days with some interaction with someone in another field with similar frustrations which reminds me that the grass is not always greener. I do occasionally encounter one of those "do what you love and never work a day in your life" people and while it is tempting to punch them in the throat I am pretty sure they are all liars or have really low expectations :D
+1 Excellent!
Read the Wiki Wiki !
irishbear99

Post by irishbear99 »

Mid 30s, civil servant...I'd been fighting that feeling pretty much every day for the last year or so. It's been especially hard because I loved the job I had previously (same field, just lower graded in a different location) and can't recall wanting to quit even a single day in the four years I had it. I got promoted and moved, and went from a job where I did actual work to a job that is substantially meetings and powerpoint.

I scored a couple of fascinating projects a couple of months ago and haven't had that feeling since. Unfortunately, those projects will be ending soon, so I'm working on identifying more, similar projects to volunteer for so I don't go back to the same dread.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

I remember in my final ~9 months of working (part-time, only 2 days a week) back in 2008, I often asked myself, "Why am I still working here?" when I began my trip home or to the office. I hated the commute, even 2 days a week. I was working hard on my early retirement plan and knew the day was approaching when all the pieces would fall into place so I could retire. Once the last piece fell into place that summer, I was able to give my notice at the end of September for a resignation date of October 31. At least for the month of October I was not asking that nagging question any more because the end was so near. :) Wow, it will be 6 years I have been retired in just 2 weeks from now. :):)
LowER

Post by LowER »

Last edited by LowER on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
kazper

Post by kazper »

Civil servant, early 30s.

I think about this more and more lately. We are down 2 staff with no sign of replacing them. As if that's not bad enough, we are all expected to somehow produce more, faster. Still trying to figure out the logic behind that call...

To make things better, we are spending much more time recording our daily activities, to the point where we will almost be spending more time accounting for our time than actually working. I keep thinking there is an end game with something great, but those "in the know" tell me it is only the beginning. Perfect!!
IMD801

Post by IMD801 »

Medicine, mid 30s. Two or three times per month "I've had it" frequency. Not very satisfying work a lot of the time.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

I'm in engineering and construction and I can say my work today is as exciting and satisfying as it was when I began my career 38 years ago. I've had four employers. I stayed with the first three ten plus years each and am in my third year with the current employer. I think if you choose a field that matches your personality, ambition, work ethics, family situations, etc... you will have success. If you choose the wrong field, it's an uphill battle the whole way. Remember if you love what you do, it wouldn't be work. Good luck to those who are having to bear and grin it, and waiting for that magic day when you can leave.
WorkToLive

Post by WorkToLive »

I'm an IT subcontractor program manager for infrastructure services (help desk, security, asset management, disaster recovery) at two hospitals and 25 other centers. I get that feeling about once a week. I've been in this job industry for 14 years and it's much worse than it used to be. I thought things would get better once I was in more leadership roles, but it's worse. I'm 40 and hoping for an exit strategy by 55, once my daughter is out of college. I like working, but work is nearly unbearable many days. So much petty politics, unrestrained emotions, silly decisions, lack of planning, unclear direction, etc. I'm the primary breadwinner and carry all the benefits so there is no way out. I'm trying to keep my head down, stay healthy and save 30% of our gross income.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

51 years of age / 25 years tenure / Lead Engineer / The world's largest company in its sector / I've thought about quitting every day for the last 5 years; literally every single day. Some days every hour from the time the alarm clock rings to the time I go to bed.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

TS,

Just pass 50. Worked 20+ years. Approaching 30 years soon. I downgraded myself from a product manager back to network architect. I have interesting work. I get to pick and choose what I work on. I do the best that I could. In the end, I accept that whatever I do may or may not matter much anyhow. It is just a game. You play hard and do the best that you can but you may or may not win.

I spend more time teaching and training people that matter to me. That is a lot more productive and rewarding. In the end, my job / career probably would not last very long anyhow. If I lose my job in a few years, I probably call it quit.

After surviving 80% laid off over 5 1/2 years on one of my employer as a product manager, I decided that I no longer willing and wish to take on that much responsibility for a little bit more money. I did a VERY GOOD JOB. We generated tremendous amount of profit for our employer. In return, my location was shut down and we lose our jobs. It was outsourced to India. It really does not matter to the employer. But, I kept my team employed for a bit longer. To me, that is a greater accomplishment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer

O God, give us the serenity to accept what cannot be changed,
The courage to change what can be changed,
and the wisdom to know the one from the other
- Serenity Prayer

Say this a few times and you will be at peace.

Or,

He Who Knows He Has Enough is Rich’ -Lao Tzu

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
narcissa

Post by narcissa »

I don't feel like any of U all but I still definitely wanted to jump in and answer also!
I'm my previous line of work( self employed ) I absolutely loved my work and the money and power that went along with it. I was financially stable and confident and well known. Once in a great while ( like maybe 2 or 3 times a year ) if an employee pissed me off enough I would tell my husband I was DOnE ! And he could completely take over the business lol.
But then things happens and we were forced to close due to legal issues and criminal charges.
Now up to last week for the past 5 months I was a night manager at a dry cleaner/laundromat. Most of the time I loved my work. But those days were getting less and less and more and more I was feeling I wanted to pull my hair out. It was mostly Bc of the manager over me ks where the problems came from. But when I was managing my own shift I was usually ok. It was the bad hours and late hours away from my family along with the low pay, that made me just quit without any notice. Sometimes it's just not worth it !

Post by 555 »

TravelforFun wrote:I'm in engineering and construction and I can say my work today is as exciting and satisfying as it was when I began my career 38 years ago. I've had four employers. I stayed with the first three ten plus years each and am in my third year with the current employer. I think if you choose a field that matches your personality, ambition, work ethics, family situations, etc... you will have success. If you choose the wrong field, it's an uphill battle the whole way. Remember if you love what you do, it wouldn't be work. Good luck to those who are having to bear and grin it, and waiting for that magic day when you can leave.
You are missing a major point. Your job/career can be a dream, but your workplace can be a nightmare.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

53. Medicine. After 15 years in my first job I had too many of those days - very high acuity and not enough manpower. Way too stressful - hard on me and also on my young family. Packed it in and went overseas for 3 years and had a wonderful time. Came back and worked 10 years in a new place where the work was less stressful and paid much better but ultimately was less satisfying I suppose. By the end I was just waiting for an excuse and when the hospital merged with two others and the new management team didn't seem to have much in the way of vision, I said enough. Retired from clinical medicine earlier this year and kept my teaching gig as a hobby job. Very satisfying and a great way to contribute in many positive ways - and isn't really work at all.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

555 wrote:
TravelforFun wrote:I'm in engineering and construction and I can say my work today is as exciting and satisfying as it was when I began my career 38 years ago. I've had four employers. I stayed with the first three ten plus years each and am in my third year with the current employer. I think if you choose a field that matches your personality, ambition, work ethics, family situations, etc... you will have success. If you choose the wrong field, it's an uphill battle the whole way. Remember if you love what you do, it wouldn't be work. Good luck to those who are having to bear and grin it, and waiting for that magic day when you can leave.
You are missing a major point. Your job/career can be a dream, but your workplace can be a nightmare.

I work from home about 80% of the time. I pick and choose which day and if I want to go to office.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Ged

Post by Ged »

From when I started work until my late forties it didn't happen once. Then I had a bad period mostly due to nepotism in the company.

After that I had a bad period when a different company was in the process of going under, in my mid 50's. Mostly the management was systematically eliminating the life part of work-life in a vain attempt to survive a broken and unfixable business model.

Finally I had it for the last time when my last employer lost about 2/3 of his people due to basic incompetence of the founder. That's when I posted a 'can I retire' message here to verify my own calculations, got a YES and followed through with the idea.

I've never been happier since. Well, maybe the year in graduate school after I met my wife. But retirement has been very very good to me so far.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

64 (almost entirely retired now), anesthesia. Until I hit 60 it was seldom. Between 60-61 it became often, so I opted to "retire" and instead have changed to a sort of "on-call" (if they find me at home) arrangement which has vastly improved my attitude. Now when they call, I climb onto my white horse, ride in to save the day, and leave without ever being tainted by the ever-growing BS.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

Tycoon wrote:51 years of age / 25 years tenure / Lead Engineer / The world's largest company in its sector / I've thought about quitting every day for the last 5 years; literally every single day. Some days every hour from the time the alarm clock rings to the time I go to bed.
That's awful. Sorry to read. Time to man up and make some bold decisions.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

It happens at least once a month, on my first of three overnight shifts that I work each month. It also happens a lot when I have an evening shift and miss an event with my family. I don't know, maybe twice a month. Not enough that I'm even seriously considering quitting (although maybe that's just denial because I'm not in a financial position to do so), but enough that I realize I won't want to be doing anything but 6 or 8 day shifts a month after age 55 or so, so I'm getting my finances in order so I can do that.

Interestingly, as many know I also "work" as a blogger. It was a pleasure for 2-3 years, but now into my fourth year, I'm starting to have days when I think about quitting that too. The truth is there is nothing in my life that I would like to do more than 30 hours a week. Variety is the spice of life. Each of my two jobs makes the other one better, just like recreation makes my jobs better and my jobs make recreation better. I wish there were more hours in the day, however.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course