Relocating to a tax free state with good weather need advice

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
rec7

Relocating to a tax free state with good weather need advice

Post by rec7 »

I am thinking about relocating to a tax free state with good weather. I am not a fan of humid summers or a very cold winter. What cities would you recommend?
Saving$

Re: Relocating to a tax free state with good weather need ad

Post by Saving$ »

Seattle.
But you will pay high sales tax, and pay it on EVERYTHING, services included.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

You'll find lower costs in the Eastern part of Washington, e.g., Spokane and Tri-Cities.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

There's no such thing as a tax free state. Texas has no income tax, but property taxes are high compared to some other states.

Here's a good place to start investigating ...

http://www.retirementliving.com/taxes-by-state
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Saving$ wrote:Seattle.
But you will pay high sales tax, and pay it on EVERYTHING, services included.
Gasoline taxes are high too. Washington ranks 9 on gas tax.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
lululu

Post by lululu »

In the middle of the country houses are almost free :D That would probably make up for taxes.
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Hayden wrote:You'll find lower costs in the Eastern part of Washington, e.g., Spokane and Tri-Cities.
Off the top of my head I thought of Spokane, Amarillo and maybe Rapid City, SD.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I am wondering why many people move to Florida in retirement, not to Las Vegas. I think Las Vegas also has no income tax, has warm weather in summer. (I have not been there in winter yet).
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hayden wrote:You'll find lower costs in the Eastern part of Washington, e.g., Spokane and Tri-Cities.
But then he wouldn't get the good weather that he's looking for. Eastern WA may not be humid but it is quite hot in the summer and ridiculously cold during the winter.
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

flyingaway wrote:I am wondering why many people move to Florida in retirement, not to Las Vegas. I think Las Vegas also has no income tax, has warm weather in summer. (I have not been there in winter yet).
Both have no income tax.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Reno might work. Probably cooler than Las Vagas.
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

retiredjg wrote:Reno might work. Probably cooler than Las Vagas.
That would be another good one.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

retiredjg wrote:Reno might work. Probably cooler than Las Vagas.
Reno gets snow maybe a few times a year, but you'll probably only need to shovel once or twice (or never depending on where in the city). Pretty nice if you like mountain snow sports (Tahoe) -- you get to enjoy without the work!
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

There is no real "tax free" (except maybe Alaska, where you can get money back from the state). Personally I think tax burden is only one of many things that need to be considered. Besides weather: how about traffic; health care; recreational options?? To mention a few.
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

Vancouver WA. Do your shopping next door in sales tax free Portland.
White House TN No income tax, do your grocery shopping in Franklin KY (TN taxes groceries).
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

flyingaway wrote:I am wondering why many people move to Florida in retirement, not to Las Vegas. I think Las Vegas also has no income tax, has warm weather in summer. (I have not been there in winter yet).
There's a huge population mass only a couple of hours flying time north of Florida, most of whom have large numbers of family, friends and neighbors who have made the Florida migration before them. There is not a huge population just north of Las Vegas and few have a family or local history of migration there.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Winter is mild.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Summer is brutal. There's not enough water for the people who already live there. The population needs to decrease, not increase.
jbourne99

Post by jbourne99 »

TN with their investment income tax, no thanks... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_income_tax
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

littlebird wrote:There's a huge population mass only a couple of hours flying time north of Florida, most of whom have large numbers of family, friends and neighbors who have made the Florida migration before them.
The eastern flyway. Just follow the geese and other migrating birds. :)
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff

Post by 123 »

State taxes are often income taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, and/or inheritance taxes. Choose carefully. It also depends on what public services are important to you. Your decision should be broadly focused if the aim is tax free. Alaska has good weather, sportsmen love it in the summer. If you lifestyle is close to camping there are ways to do that inexpensively pretty much anywhere.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

123 wrote:State taxes are often income taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, and/or inheritance taxes. Choose carefully. It also depends on what public services are important to you. Your decision should be broadly focused if the aim is tax free. Alaska has good weather, sportsmen love it in the summer. If you lifestyle is close to camping there are ways to do that inexpensively pretty much anywhere.
Taxes sometimes rise to an undeserved position on people's priorities when thinking about where to live/retire. I know for us, they don't make the top 5.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
uncaD

Post by uncaD »

Consider states like Arizona and Colorado that have (low-ish) income taxes but have much lower property taxes than states with no income taxes like Texas and Florida.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

123 wrote:State taxes are often income taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, and/or inheritance taxes. Choose carefully. It also depends on what public services are important to you. Your decision should be broadly focused if the aim is tax free. Alaska has good weather, sportsmen love it in the summer. If you lifestyle is close to camping there are ways to do that inexpensively pretty much anywhere.
Then there are the taxes the compilers of "best places to retire" type of articles never heard of, so they're not listed. Back in the day, New Mexico was shown in these books and magazines as having no state sales tax. No, it had something much worse: a "gross receipt tax", which as its name implies, was (is?) a tax on the gross receipts of all kinds of sales and services ( with few exemptions, newspapers as I recall.) Dealing with it as a consumer and a part-time professional services provider was a nightmare. But no one except the then-current residents were aware of it. Perhaps now, in the internet era, that type of tax could no longer fly under the radar, but who knows. It was an "unknown unknown" then.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

retiredjg wrote:
Summer is brutal. There's not enough water for the people who already live there. The population needs to decrease, not increase.
Las Vegas has a big lake nearby which provides water and electricity. Is there anyone on this forum who actually lives in and likes Las Vegas?
22twain

Post by 22twain »

jebmke wrote:
littlebird wrote:There's a huge population mass only a couple of hours flying time north of Florida, most of whom have large numbers of family, friends and neighbors who have made the Florida migration before them.
The eastern flyway. Just follow the geese and other migrating birds. :)
Eastern flyway to the east coast. Midwestern flyway to the west coast. Somehow my parents bucked the trend and retired from Ohio to Fort Lauderdale, even though some friends had already retired to the west coast. Both of the condos they lived in had lots of people from New York, Boston, etc. It was a change for them. :)
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
mac808

Post by mac808 »

Check out Las Vegas. It's a hidden gem for retirees. Well, hidden in the sense that most people only think about it as a tourist destination and not a real place to live. 2 million residents. A nice mix of all ages and backgrounds. No state income taxes. Low COL. Weather is great (hot but dry, way more tolerable than Florida). 24/7 access to the best food, services and entertainment in the world. Plus an international airport with flights all over the world.
kramer

Post by kramer »

This really depends on a lot of factors and how strong your desires for these things are.

Climate was a major consideration for me after I retired early and I treated it as an important factor, but just one factor among several. I find all the winter weather in the continental US way too cold, even what most Americans typically think of as good wintering locations, and so that was one of several major reasons I looked to living abroad.

I will say that I have met a lot of techie guys working for an American company from abroad in a nice climate with a fast internet connection. As a non-resident of any state, they are not paying state income taxes.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

kramer wrote:This really depends on a lot of factors and how strong your desires for these things are.

Climate was a major consideration for me after I retired early and I treated it as an important factor, but just one factor among several. I find all the winter weather in the continental US way too cold, even what most Americans typically think of as good wintering locations, and so that was one of several major reasons I looked to living abroad.

I will say that I have met a lot of techie guys working for an American company from abroad in a nice climate with a fast internet connection. As a non-resident of any state, they are not paying state income taxes.
I guess they don't (have to) pay federal income taxes either, if they make money overseas and stay overseas.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

mac808 wrote:Check out Las Vegas. It's a hidden gem for retirees. Well, hidden in the sense that most people only think about it as a tourist destination and not a real place to live. 2 million residents. A nice mix of all ages and backgrounds. No state income taxes. Low COL. Weather is great (hot but dry, way more tolerable than Florida). 24/7 access to the best food, services and entertainment in the world. Plus an international airport with flights all over the world.
I think Las Vegas is a place that I want to explore for a retirement place. I will try to stay for a winter to see what it looks like. I am just curious as not many people talked about Las Vegas as a retirement place.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

flyingaway wrote:I think Las Vegas is a place that I want to explore for a retirement place. I will try to stay for a winter to see what it looks like. I am just curious as not many people talked about Las Vegas as a retirement place.
The winters are very nice in LV. The summers...not so much. If you want to "try it out", you should stay there for a whole summer.
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

the southwest does have water issues. I suggest South Carolina. i don't know if tax free but it's where i would move if i was going to move.
Toons

Post by Toons »

There are trade-offs everywhere.I live in the tri-cities area of Tn.No state income tax,sales tax a little higher,,,Dividends,capital gain distributions taxed at 6% over 2500 Married Filing Jointly.Cost of living very low ,wouldn't change a thing :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
kramer

Post by kramer »

flyingaway wrote:
kramer wrote:
I guess they don't (have to) pay federal income taxes either, if they make money overseas and stay overseas.
I think they usually are paying federal income taxes in this situation because in this case they are not working for a company in their host country which would allow them to claim the FEIE (foreign earned income exemption). For most of the people that I know doing this, the host country is not even aware that they are working. And, in some cases, even the American company is not aware (a very bad idea, in my opinion).
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

Phoenix Sun City's. No school taxes in the property tax (maybe not in the newer sections), making them especially low. MIL pays about $800/yr on a $200,000 house in Sun City West.

Rarely if ever gets below freezing. No estate tax.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
rgardne70

Post by rgardne70 »

Personally the only state with decent weather most of the year is California - and then only the southern part within 5 or 6 miles of the coast. Get further inland in Southern California and it is hot in the summer, mild in the winter.

That said, the taxes, the business climate, the totally deteriorating infrastructure, the off and on droughts, and the traffic are all killers.

I have lived in San Diego just about my entire life. Love the climate and that it why I am staying here. But if it wasn't for the nice climate, I would find another place to live.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

gerrym51 wrote:I suggest South Carolina. i don't know if tax free
Sales tax is usually 5% state + 1% county. On groceries it's 3%.

Income tax is based on federal taxable income. It tops out at a marginal rate of 7% for income above about $14K. However, Social Security benefits are not taxable, and there is a $15K per person exemption at age 65+.

Property taxes vary by county and are generally low, partly because housing prices are low. We paid about $800 last year, in a small town, on a house which would probably sell for about $150-$160K. Other, nicer houses in our neighborhood have been going for $180-200K.

The weather is pretty hot and muggy here from about May through September, though. About once every two years we get a major snowfall or ice storm in the Upstate.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

rgardne70 wrote:Personally the only state with decent weather most of the year is California - and then only the southern part within 5 or 6 miles of the coast. Get further inland in Southern California and it is hot in the summer, mild in the winter.

That said, the taxes, the business climate, the totally deteriorating infrastructure, the off and on droughts, and the traffic are all killers.

I have lived in San Diego just about my entire life. Love the climate and that it why I am staying here. But if it wasn't for the nice climate, I would find another place to live.
Is that a good place for retirement? We may be tied to a place due to jobs, but we will be free to choose where to live in retirement. I think a place with lower taxes is a better one.
four7s

Post by four7s »

Las Vegas/Henderson, Nv. is a great place to live. After living in Fl. for 20 years I know about heat and LV heat is only a 'problem' for 3 months or so, and after awhile you get used to it and adapt. Spring, Fall, and Winter are mild, no bugs or humidity, lots for seniors to do. It's not all gambling by any means. Check it out and you might be surprised.
trueblueky

Post by trueblueky »

... duplicate post ....
Last edited by trueblueky on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trueblueky

Post by trueblueky »

chaz wrote:
Florida has no income tax and no estate tax.

If you live there full-time, you can get a homestead exemption that means no tax on the first $25,000 in real estate, then tax on the next $25,000, then only school tax on the third $25,000. So a $100,000 home has $50,000 exemption for county/city real estate tax and $25,000 exemption on school property tax.

About 1/4 of the income comes from the sales tax and hotel/motel tax paid by visitors. Sales tax is 7% in most countries; none are more than that. Car taxes are low, although you'll need to pay one time to move registration.
------
I would not live in Las Vegas, because of the congestion and heat. I'd prefer Reno or Carson City. Tahoe is great, but has too much sn-w for my liking.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

littlebird wrote:
There's a huge population mass only a couple of hours flying time north of Florida, most of whom have large numbers of family, friends and neighbors who have made the Florida migration before them. There is not a huge population just north of Las Vegas and few have a family or local history of migration there.

Actually Las Vegas has the equivalent relationship to LA and the rest of southern California. it's just not known as a retirement haven. Maybe people are either attracted or repelled by the gambling culture. It's not at all tropical however, and the winters can be cold and windy much of the time.

I always liked Reno/Carson better for weather but fear there has been a huge increase in congestion in the 30 years since I worked there.
john94549

Post by john94549 »

I would echo the comments of others that you take the totality of costs/benefits in retirement, not just taxes (income or otherwise). In addition, many states offer income tax abatement for retiree benefits (S/S, pensions) and property taxes even though they might otherwise be considered "high-tax" states. One should consider the totality.

As an example, Hawaii offers a "circuit breaker" for retiree property tax* along with exclusions for certain pension benefits. California does not tax S/S and has Prop 13. You need to shop around.

*Last I checked, if we "retired" to our Condo in Maui, our property taxes would fall dramatically, from roughly $12K/yr to 3K/yr. That opens your nostrils.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

four7s wrote:Las Vegas/Henderson, Nv. is a great place to live. After living in Fl. for 20 years I know about heat and LV heat is only a 'problem' for 3 months or so, and after awhile you get used to it and adapt. Spring, Fall, and Winter are mild, no bugs or humidity, lots for seniors to do. It's not all gambling by any means. Check it out and you might be surprised.
Is housing more expensive in Florida than in Las Vegas?
Punxsyboy

Post by Punxsyboy »

I've lived in Las Vegas for 18 yrs....originally from east coast.
First summer was brutal but after that you adjust. The low humidity makes a huge difference. Winters are mild and rarely gets below freezing. East & South side of town are warmer than the west side which may see snow flakes about once a year.
COL & RE taxes are low to reasonable. I really LOVE that there are very few mosquitoes etc.
There really is alot more to Vegas than gambling.
Punxsyboy

Post by Punxsyboy »

Is housing more expensive in Florida than in Las Vegas?
I don't know housing costs in FL but you can get a decent 3br 2 bath approx 1700 sq ft for less than $200k and probably find closer to $150 if u r a good shopper, :)
cannondale

Post by cannondale »

Are there any doctors left in Vegas?

Reno is a dying gambling city since all those Indian Casinos stole the major gamblers from NCAL.

I realized you stated a tax-free state in your OP, but is there such a thing as tax-free? I view taxes like a 3 legged stool. On one leg, you have property taxes, on another, you have income taxes, and then of course, sales taxes. If one leg is missing, the other two must be larger to compensate.

I'd throw a few other options out there:
1) Ashland, OR. You will get a little snow here and there, but it's beautiful. It's near the Rogue River (and 15 miles from a Costco in Medford). No sales tax in Oregon. Reasonable housing prices. Health conscious. And, best of all, it's a college town and has the Shakespeare festival.

2) Sacramento, and maybe the surrounding areas, is a hidden gem. You're close to all the wineries you can visit in a lifetime. You're close to Yosemite, Tahoe, and the Sierra Mountains for all outdoorsie stuff. The winter is mild, the summer can be hot, but that's only a few days out of the year. The night cools down. With prop 13, your prop tax increase is capped.

I wouldn't move to Florida. I lived in Tampa and Naples. IF you live or visit the beach often, you'd know what the 'noseem' are. They're sand flies and they will attack you. They hurt.

I wouldn't move to the Pacific NW like Portland, or Vancouver (the Couve), or Camas, WA if you like nice weather. The rain starts on October 20 and doesn't stop until July 5.

Good luck with your search. I like reading these threads b/c I too want to find a place w/in 5-7 years to retire. I'm in my mid 30s. :)
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Toons wrote:There are trade-offs everywhere.I live in the tri-cities area of Tn.No state income tax,sales tax a little higher,,,Dividends,capital gain distributions taxed at 6% over 2500 Married Filing Jointly.Cost of living very low ,wouldn't change a thing :happy
I live in NC and always enjoy visiting places in Tennessee. Tri Cities is nice but what about Nashville area? It is one of my favorite cities to visit. Not sure of COL but combining weather, things to do, people and taxes it should compare favorably with other places mentioned.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

cannondale wrote:2) Sacramento, and maybe the surrounding areas, is a hidden gem. You're close to all the wineries you can visit in a lifetime. You're close to Yosemite, Tahoe, and the Sierra Mountains for all outdoorsie stuff. The winter is mild, the summer can be hot, but that's only a few days out of the year. The night cools down. With prop 13, your prop tax increase is capped.
I'm guessing you wouldn't consider Reno in the "surrounding areas," but it has access to those wineries and is closer to the mountains. Similarly, it's close to the Bay Area, which is probably why Tesla and Apple and other tech companies have chosen Reno. And Reno itself is helping to shift away from casinos/gambling to grow startups:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/07/busin ... t-ups.html

A quick Zillow search of 3bd/2ba shows median prices of ~$400k and $3500 property tax in Sacramento vs $240k and $700 in Reno. The sales taxes are relatively close (8.5% vs 7.725%).
thenextguy

Post by thenextguy »

flyingaway wrote:
retiredjg wrote:
Las Vegas has a big lake nearby which provides water and electricity. Is there anyone on this forum who actually lives in and likes Las Vegas?
Me! :D And yes, the water supply problems are definitely overblown.