Personal Financial Inventory (From Vanguard's Site)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
potatoman

Personal Financial Inventory (From Vanguard's Site)

Post by potatoman »

I think there was a post a few weeks ago about what people do to document their financial information for a spouse or heirs in the event that they should need it. Vanguard posted a template that covers the bulk of this info pretty thoroughly. Has anyone taken a look at it?

Link to the template (pdf)
http://vanguard.com/pdf/FM_inventory.pdf
NoVa Lurker

Re: Personal Financial Inventory (From Vanguard's Site)

Post by NoVa Lurker »

I created something like this awhile back, but I had been meaning to update it for the first time in a couple of years. This Vanguard list is useful to double-check if I missed anything. Thanks for posting it.
Bill M

Re: Personal Financial Inventory (From Vanguard's Site)

Post by Bill M »

The idea is great, and the form is a good start at the data to record.

The file on Vanguard's site is a fillable-forms PDF file. I tried filling this in a few years ago, but got really frustrated with it. It had space for six of each type of account, but no way to enter information for the seventh and later. Does anyone maintain six checking accounts? I doubt it. But six retirement accounts filled too quickly (my 401k, DW's two 403b's, my T-IRA, my Roth-IRA, DW's T-IRA, DW's Roth IRA, and three inherited IRAs). The PDF tools I have wouldn't allow me to add another page of accounts, and keep the fillable-form.

So in true DIY fashion, I created my own MSWord file with all the data.

While I truly believe in keeping most records electronic, rather than paper, this is the one big exception. Keep a printed copy of the current contents of this file somewhere it can be found if needed.