Neighborhood kid around 13 throwing rocks at my house

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
rec7

Neighborhood kid around 13 throwing rocks at my house

Post by rec7 »

Neighborhood kid around 13 throwing rocks at my house. He has not caused damage yet. How do I handle this. I don't know the people that live in his house I tend to keep to myself. Sometimes he is under cover of trees and it is hard to see him. But I find the rocks in my driveway. I have said hi to him before this started but he just keeps looking at the ground and keeps walking. So I don't think I am going to make much headway with him. I just don't understand why he does this?
Last edited by rec7 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheese_breath

Re: Neighborhood kid around 13 throwing rocks at my house

Post by cheese_breath »

You could either...

1) Meet the people who live in his house and talk to them about it
2) Call the police
3) Live with it
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

I am going to try to talk to him tomorrow but I don't have high hopes in that working.
ahmadcpa

Post by ahmadcpa »

The last thing you need is a disgruntled neighbor around you. While you may have a lot arsenal, you do want to handle this as peacefully as you could. First, talk to the parents and see if the kid stops. Whatever avenues you can find that are peaceful, you should utilize. Once all avenues have been explored, you'd start out with police and subsequently legal action. I am on the HOA and once two neighbors are headbutting, it never stops. They will complain about the brightness of your lights, the organization of your garage and the noise from your brand new Mercedes.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Are the rocks actually Hitting the house, and haven't caused damage because they just hit something that is hard to damage? Is there any reason for this kid to dislike you? (get off my lawn, whatever? I think you need to be sure this is the actual culprit, photographic evidence would be nice. (note that this might only exist in your memory and not actually on an sd card, but he doesn't need to know that.)
Parents can range from "Not little johnny, he would never do such a thing! and be angry at you, to be reasonable and take care of the situation.
Are there other kids in the neighborhood that could be the culprit? You might start by talking to the neighbors and ask them if they had noticed anyone vandalizing, with a general discussion of your intentions to call the police if any actual damage occurs, without actually accusing the kid.
Mike
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

ahmadcpa wrote:The last thing you need is a disgruntled neighbor around you. While you may have a lot arsenal, you do want to handle this as peacefully as you could. First, talk to the parents and see if the kid stops. Whatever avenues you can find that are peaceful, you should utilize. Once all avenues have been explored, you'd start out with police and subsequently legal action. I am on the HOA and once two neighbors are headbutting, it never stops. They will complain about the brightness of your lights, the organization of your garage and the noise from your brand new Mercedes.
I have thought of that also. That's the part that worries me. I don't care if he throw rocks in the creek or pond just not at people or things they have bought. I think most boys go through this rock throwing stage. I always did it in a rural area so it did not hurt anything.
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

mhalley wrote:Are the rocks actually Hitting the house, and haven't caused damage because they just hit something that is hard to damage? Is there any reason for this kid to dislike you? (get off my lawn, whatever? I think you need to be sure this is the actual culprit, photographic evidence would be nice. (note that this might only exist in your memory and not actually on an sd card, but he doesn't need to know that.)
Parents can range from "Not little johnny, he would never do such a thing! and be angry at you, to be reasonable and take care of the situation.
Are there other kids in the neighborhood that could be the culprit? You might start by talking to the neighbors and ask them if they had noticed anyone vandalizing, with a general discussion of your intentions to call the police if any actual damage occurs, without actually accusing the kid.
Mike
They rocks are small he throws them on the roof or concrete basement wall. He also jumps off a wall I have on his way to his house that I would like to stop to. I have not done anything to him other than say hi. He is the only kid around here so I know it is him and not another kid.
Last edited by rec7 on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
golfvestor

Post by golfvestor »

It's possible that calling the police won't do any good besides maybe getting a warning issued. Depending on where you live, the police and local DA might think they have 1000 higher priorities, needing more resources, than to investigate, much less criminally prosecute a 13-year-old kid throwing rocks which has yet to cause any property damage. If talking to the parents doesn't help, you might just have to live with it.
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

He walks though my yard twice a day but will not talk to me when I say hi. He just looks at the ground and keeps walking. I don't think I am dealing with a normal kid here. If he sees me out doing yard work. He will throw a rock or two when I come in.
denovo

Post by denovo »

All I know is that I used to live in a house that had a cat who was outdoors occasionally. If someone was randomly throwing rocks in to that house, that could seriously injure my cat.

If your backyard is fenced, how can he get in?
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

denovo wrote:All I know is that I used to live in a house that had a cat who was outdoors occasionally. If someone was randomly throwing rocks in to that house, that could seriously injure my cat.

If your backyard is fenced, how can he get in?
We have no fences but that does not matter much because he throws the rocks from his yard anyway. He lives about 50 feet away.
denovo

Post by denovo »

rec7 wrote:He walks though my yard twice a day but will not talk to me when I say hi. He just looks at the ground and keeps walking. I don't think I am dealing with a normal kid here. If he sees me out doing yard work. He will throw a rock or two when I come in.
I assume by in, you mean in the house, so at least he's not aiming to hit you. :o
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

denovo wrote:
rec7 wrote:He walks though my yard twice a day but will not talk to me when I say hi. He just looks at the ground and keeps walking. I don't think I am dealing with a normal kid here. If he sees me out doing yard work. He will throw a rock or two when I come in.
I assume by in, you mean in the house, so at least he's not aiming to hit you. :o
He always aims for the house when we are inside. But if we are outside then there is a high chance he will throw a rock when we go in. He is very slick and hard to see. Today he had a rock in his hand then his dad drove up in the driveway so he did not throw it. I was going to run over to talk if I could catch him red handed.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Looking at this from a bird's eyes view, I don't see malice. He's just bored and throws rocks, not trying to hurt anyone. I could understand why you don't want him to do it anyways, maybe just tell his parents in a casual way.
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

denovo wrote:Looking at this from a bird's eyes view, I don't see malice. He's just bored and throws rocks, not trying to hurt anyone. I could understand why you don't want him to do it anyways, maybe just tell his parents in a casual way.
That true's the main thing I am worried about is my windows the rest of the stuff he can't hurt to much. But my house is the only one he does this to. The only thing I can think of is I keep to myself and maybe that family does not like that. The family are renters. The father is divorced and remarried so the kid has a lot on his plate to I guess. And if he throws rocks at a guy's house that has only said hi to him I would think he is no stranger to trouble.
Last edited by rec7 on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Do you think I will get anywhere talking to the kid?
sdsailing

Post by sdsailing »

rec7 wrote:Do you think I will get anywhere talking to the kid?
It sounds like the best place to start.
denovo

Post by denovo »

rec7 wrote:
denovo wrote:Looking at this from a bird's eyes view, I don't see malice. He's just bored and throws rocks, not trying to hurt anyone. I could understand why you don't want him to do it anyways, maybe just tell his parents in a casual way.
That true's the main thing I am worried about is my windows the rest of the stuff he can't hurt to much. But my house is the only one he does this to. The only thing I can think of is I keep to myself and maybe that family does not like that. The family are renters. The father is divorced and remarried so the kid has a lot on his plate to I guess. And if he throws rocks at a guy's house that has only said hi to him I would think he is no stranger to trouble.
Wow, that's a serious allegation, I can't imagine an adult telling a 13 year old, go through rocks at old man rec7's house because he doesn't talk to us.
I'd take it easy.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Teach him Karate. First he can paint your fence, then wax your car....
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
celia

Post by celia »

When you talk to him, ask him if he plays sports. Why not? Does he have a basketball and hoop? Would he like help getting one? Maybe he can rake leaves for you 3 times or something and you could buy him a basketball. But it's better to check this out with his parents first as they know him better. This may or may not fit with their house rules/parenting style which you don't want to interfere with.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

Ask him to stop. If he doesn't stop, put up a security camera. If you get a video of him throwing rocks at your house, show it to his parents. If he persists on throwing rocks, show the video to the police.

Another strategy: You can tell him you have him on video and if he doesn't stop, you will show it to his parents and the police. It's a bluff but it might work.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

ahmadcpa wrote:The last thing you need is a disgruntled neighbor around you. While you may have a lot arsenal, you do want to handle this as peacefully as you could. First, talk to the parents and see if the kid stops. Whatever avenues you can find that are peaceful, you should utilize. Once all avenues have been explored, you'd start out with police and subsequently legal action. I am on the HOA and once two neighbors are headbutting, it never stops. They will complain about the brightness of your lights, the organization of your garage and the noise from your brand new Mercedes.
This is great advice. The block I grew up on was like Mayberry. Everyone looked out for each other and as a kid it felt like you had a dozen Mothers all looking out for you. This was the case except for two neighbors and I kid you not, at least twice a week they were on the front lawns yelling and screaming at each other. The husbands never got involved and it was just the two women. Sometimes it was comical like the time one took a hose out and started squrting the other in the face and other tmes it was pathetic when the cursing got so bad and objects started flying. Cops were there so many times, they stopped coming. This went on for years. After witnessing this as a kid, I know I would move before I lived like that but I would not behave that way in the first place.

Having said that the advice above is good advice. Try to take the peaceful road and if that doesn't work I guess you would have no other choice and do what you have to do. However, be prepared to deal with unreasonable people if they are not nice and normal like most neighbors are and chances are they might be a dysfunctional family if their 13 year old is doing this. Good Luck.
Last edited by stemikger on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Call or visit his parents. He will stop after that.

Kids that age often do crazy things - often out of plain boredom. I don't think it's necessary to get the police involved.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
surveyor

Post by surveyor »

Talk to the kid first and explicitly discuss (not lecture) what behavior you would like to stop and why.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

Try to talk politely to the kid and explain that he is damaging property and ask him to stop.

If that doesn't work, get a photo (keep a copy) and then talk politely to the parents.

If that doesn't work, take the photo to the police. Or child protective services - it sounds like the kid has issues.

There is always the possibility of talking to their landlord. If the kid is damaging other people's property, no telling what is happening in that house is terms of damage.
John3754

Post by John3754 »

I wouldn't try to reason with a child, I'd go to the parents and tell them what's going on.
gd

Post by gd »

The kid has some emotional problems, like pretty much every 13-year-old on the planet. It's manifesting itself by odd little antisocial behaviors. Like pretty much every 13-year-old on the planet. He probably doesn't respond to you because he's embarrassed that he's working out some demon in his head by throwing rocks at your house. Get him to talk, and the rock throwing becomes more uncomfortable. You could strike up a conversation by asking him that since he's outside more than you, if he could help you out and figure out how all these dumb little rocks get on your roof. If you go to his parents maybe he'll stop, but maybe you'll cement your position as his nemesis- now he's got a reason! And speaking as a former 13-year-old, the first rule is to deny everything.
island

Post by island »

That's really bizarre. You've actually seen him throw the rocks and you're sure he doesn't throw them at anyone elses's house? Are they new neighbors or just a new behavior?

So if you know it's him for sure, just ask him.
Introduce yourself, ask him his name and just say Hey I've seen you throwing stones at my house; why are you doing that? ...... I'd appreciate it if you'd stop. Might cause damage, break a window, have to sweep them up, etc, whatever the case may be.
Don't make a federal case of it, psychoanalyze him, assume it has anything to do with his parents marital status (that's a stretch), or that your request is going to turn into a blood feud. Asking without being confrontational is the logical thing to do. If it continues then talk to his parents and go from there.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

At age 13 I think you need to start with the kid. If you go to his parents or police first there's a reaonable chance you'll see escalation/retribution. Rather than just saying hi to him I'd try to engage him a little more. Say something about his t-shirt or backpack. Introduce yourself by your first name. Maybe ask him to help you move a heavy object in the garage. The idea is to try to build a little bit of rapport with him. It may not stop the issue entirely, but it might shift his focus to someone else.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
stan1

Post by stan1 »

island wrote:That's really bizarre. You've actually seen him throw the rocks and you're sure he doesn't throw them at anyone elses's house? Are they new neighbors or just a new behavior?
Not at all. I think most 13 year old boys go through a rock throwing or slightly rebellious phase about that age. It does not mean he is destined to a life of crime. If all he's doing is throwing small rocks at the roof that's pretty minor in the scheme of things. Vandalism, tagging, slashing tires, fire, etc. are all much more serious.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
island

Post by island »

stan1 wrote:
island wrote:That's really bizarre. You've actually seen him throw the rocks and you're sure he doesn't throw them at anyone elses's house? Are they new neighbors or just a new behavior?
Not at all. I think most 13 year old boys go through a rock throwing or slightly rebellious phase about that age. It does not mean he is destined to a life of crime. If all he's doing is throwing small rocks at the roof that's pretty minor in the scheme of things. Vandalism, tagging, slashing tires, fire, etc. are all much more serious.
I think it's odd that he would only be aiming for one home, hiding in the shade trees doing it, or maybe it's the only home around. Just wondering why, but hey, I live in the burbs of a large metro area where the homes are so close, hitting someone's roof is no athletic feat! We all have fenced yards and it's a common occurrence to have balls sailing in accidentally when the surrounding kids are playing. I'm surprised none of us have had any broken windows from that.

Anyway... So maybe for this kid it's a challenge to throw that far, whatever. Not saying he's on his way to a life of crime, just wondering, that's why I say just ask, no big deal.
Last edited by island on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

cheese_breath wrote:You could either...

1) Meet the people who live in his house and talk to them about it
2) Call the police
3) Live with it
Let's go with what's behind number 2) Lets set some simple ground rules for this type behavior straight up. Unacceptable in our hood. File a report with the police, and then they can get to the bottom of this issue. I've tried many times to talk with the parents, and have found these younger generation parents just don't get it.

I'm proud to be part of a great multicultural neighborhood association, and hard working people. Mom and dad aren't around much, so the kids self watch themselves in groups after school, and evenings. We do have many retired older people such as us. Hope parents keep their eyes open to what their kids are doing, and saying out in the village. Rules must be enforced on kids. Should start in homes, but don't, and kids don't get this needed set of guidelines for play. Gang rule when left up to the kids. Any gang issues in your hoods? Some gangs have newbies throw rocks at houses as part of the gig. Get the police involved.
Last edited by rustymutt on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

For those trying to understand why a 13 year old would do this - don't bother. This does not mean he will be a hardened criminal. His brain is undergoing many changes at this time. As I said above, kids that age do crazy things and then most of the time grow-up to be fine citizens. I would handle this in such a way as to make it stop but not brand the kid for life.

I strongly disagree with Rustymutt that going to the police should be your first step. I see that as a last resort.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

It wouldn't rule out some sort of social/emotional issue; the fact that he is doing this and won't look at you or engage you in any way makes me think of some sort of autism spectrum disorder or other social / psychological issue. I would try talking to the parents in a very nice way - i.e., hey, I know this sounds a little strange but I have noticed that your son throws rocks at my house sometimes. He seems like a decent kid so I don't really understand why he does this...I am afraid something is going to get damaged or someone hurt.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Call_Me_Op wrote:For those trying to understand why a 13 year old would do this - don't bother. This does not mean he will be a hardened criminal. His brain is undergoing many changes at this time. As I said above, kids that age do crazy things and then most of the time grow-up to be fine citizens. I would handle this in such a way as to make it stop but not brand the kid for life.

I strongly disagree with Rustymutt that going to the police should be your first step. I see that as a last resort.
When I caught my own son throwing snowballs at my neighbors brick home, I made him go over to my neighbors house and apologize. Which he did, and my neighbor just laughed with him about it. They have now met and get along fine.
We have a responsibility to report crimes to our police. It's not an option in a free society. It's why we have civil servants.
Our town has great civil servants, ready to help kids with issues. But they've got to be introduced to the kids.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Call_Me_Op wrote:For those trying to understand why a 13 year old would do this - don't bother. This does not mean he will be a hardened criminal. His brain is undergoing many changes at this time. As I said above, kids that age do crazy things and then most of the time grow-up to be fine citizens. I would handle this in such a way as to make it stop but not brand the kid for life.

I don't, nor never have been afraid of our local law enforcement officers. They know how to handle these situations better than most. They are after all professionals.
artiephysed

Post by artiephysed »

Here's what a friend of mine did when faced with a similar situation. She thought to herself - "What do teenage boys like? FOOD!" So she baked some brownies/cookies and took them to the family next door. She introduced herself as the owner of the property next door and shared the goodies with the boy and his family. Smiled all the time... Has not had a problem since!
nyknicks4412

Post by nyknicks4412 »

You guys are way too nice...fat chance I'd let some little punk keep throwing rocks at my house let alone bake some cookies for him haha
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

nyknicks4412 wrote:You guys are way too nice...
Well, there are worse things to be than way too nice. I don't know the kid, and he might be Satan's spawn for all I know, but more than likely he's a spectrum kid. Walk a mile in his parents' shoes.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb »

I would first make sure that you have the right kid. Talk to him and tell him know that you know about his rock throwing. Tell him that you will be going to his parents if he doesn't stop.

If he continues, go to the parents... They will most likely be thankful that you let them know about their child's mischievous ways. Be friendly about it.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

rustymutt wrote:

I don't, nor never have been afraid of our local law enforcement officers. They know how to handle these situations better than most. They are after all professionals.
This has NOTHING to do with being afraid of law enforcement. It has to do with having a heart and choosing not to mark the kid for life for some transient mischievousness that most normal 13 year-old boys exhibit.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Criminal defense lawyer here: Please don't call the police. A charge, even a misdemeanor one like trespassing or criminal mischief, can have lifetime consequences for a kid who is probably just bored. Approach him directly and firmly and say, "Hey kid, I know you're throwing rocks at my house. I've seen you. I'm not going to tell your parents unless I see you do it again. Find some other way to amuse yourself." If that doesn't stop it, then approach the parents in a very friendly way. Only if the parents are completely unreceptive would I consider installing a security camera or calling the police.
BigMoneyGrip

Post by BigMoneyGrip »

Definitely get video if possible. From there you can 1) show it to him and threaten to talk to his parents if he doesn't stop 2) show it to his parents when they say "Not my little Johnny", 3) show it to the police if needed.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

I had this exact same problem with a neighbor kid. They had a small gravel area adjacent to their driveway for auxiliary parking. The gravel was about the diameter of a penny. I would find pieces in my yard, on my roof, in my driveway. I would also find small apples from a neighbor's apple tree. I never actually saw the kid throwing it, but I strongly suspect him because he lives in the house with the stone area and he is a bit goofy. Never really did any damage except there was maybe a very small ding or two in my car that could have been from stones/apples or could be from something else totally unrelated.

I have had a very minor disagreement with the neighbor about his kids cutting grass on to my property (which they still do), and I did not want to escalate the tension, so I just kept my mouth shut on the stones/apples. The kid apparently grew out of it after a year or so.

I am not necessarily recommending you do nothing, and I do not have any other recommendations.
nyknicks4412

Post by nyknicks4412 »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Well, there are worse things to be than way too nice. I don't know the kid, and he might be Satan's spawn for all I know, but more than likely he's a spectrum kid. Walk a mile in his parents' shoes.
I'm not saying I would curse out a kid with obvious disabilities...but I wouldn't sit back and do nothing.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
That was my thoughts as well. Just a thought, no idea if it is true.

I'd talk to the kid.

As to the cookies, I once was with a group of friends, I think we were 14 or 15 at the time. Very hot day, we stopped under someone's tree well into their yard to sit in the shade and have smoke. An elderly lady came out with a tray of cold drinks and an ash tray and said hello, and asked when we were done to please clean up and leave the tray on the nearby patio.

I still remember this clearly and with gratitude 40 some year later. I guarantee she was never going to have a problem with any of us, even though we were stupid dunderheads at the time. Not bad kids, but easily bored with poor judgement and impulse control, like many boys that age.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
mudfud

Post by mudfud »

TomatoTomahto wrote: ... but more than likely he's a spectrum kid. Walk a mile in his parents' shoes.
This may well be true. You could try talking to the kid, but don't be surprised if there is no response. If none, either tolerate it or gently discuss with the parent.
"Are you sure you have tested an a priori hypothesis?" | | Image
2stepsbehind

Post by 2stepsbehind »

rustymutt wrote:

Well thats quite lovely for you. As recent news events underscore, however, that experience is hardly universal.

OP try speaking with the kid in question. Keep it neutral/nonaccusatory--"I've noticed someone throwing rocks at my house. While I don't mean to stop the fun, this can do a lot of damage. Have you considered XYZ diversion?" If that doesn't work, speak to the parents, but again keep it neutral/positive as kenschmidt suggested: " hey, I know this sounds a little strange but I have noticed that your son throws rocks at my house sometimes. He seems like a good kid so I don't really understand why he does this...I am afraid something is going to get damaged or someone hurt." I'd suggest speaking to the kid first, because the kid may be coming from an abusive home and your comments may only inflame the situation.
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

If I was you I would just casually mention it to the parents. When you see them outside just "happen" to take a walk at the same time. As you introduce yourself just mention it to them.

I would not like someone telling my kid what to do, but have NO problem someone telling me my kid is doing something wrong and letting me yell at them. Maybe it is just me? You also don't know what the kid will tell their parents after you talk to them. I can bet they will not give a favorable replay.

Either way I would make an attempt to get some evidence before pointing fingers. In this society no one seems to want to admit their kids are not perfect so some picture or video would be helpful if the parents give the, "Oh no it can't be Johnny he is an angel" line.

I would ONLY use the police as LAST resort. Having a neighbor who is disgruntled with you (wrong or right) is a MUCH MORE serious issue then the kid throwing rocks at your house. The kid is likely bored or acting out.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Thanks everybody you helped me cool my head and have given me some great ideas.