strategy to get brokerage bonuses

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
15202guy

strategy to get brokerage bonuses

Post by 15202guy »

I think I have a strategy to capture brokerage bonuses for bringing in new money without harming my overall investment approach...please let me know if you see issues.

For my taxable investing, I prefer to use all Vanguard index mutual funds...I find the convenience of mutual funds better for my situation than ETFs. I would like to move some of my money at Vanguard to another brokerage to capture the rather generous bonuses being offered, but I don't want to "be out of the market" or need to sell anything, which would have undesired tax consequences. So I was thinking of converting some of my (Admiral) shares to ETFs, then transferring those ETF shares in-kind to the new brokerage. As I understand it, the shares would remain fully invested while they moved to the new brokerage so I will capture any gains or suffer any losses while the shares are "in between", and also eventually receive any pertinent dividend distributions. I could then leave the shares at the new brokerage and sell them as needed (as ETFs), or eventually move them back to Vanguard as ETF shares and then reconvert them to mutual fund shares.

Thoughts?
livesoft

Re: strategy to get brokerage bonuses

Post by livesoft »

Sure go ahead.

I recently moved some shares of VBR from TDAmeritrade to Fidelity and collected a bonus. I already had accounts at both places. My portfolio did not change at all and I was not out of the market at all. Cost basis and data acquired were transferred over as well. In short, nothing changed for me at all except I gained a free trip to Hawaii. The only unknown is whether Fidelity will send me a 1099DIV for the value of the frequent flyer miles to me or not.

In a little while, I will probably move my Fidelity 401(k) to TDAmeritrade to collect a bonus.

One thing I do is move the minimum amount to collect a bonus. For instance, if I have $400,000 to move, but the bonus is for $250,000 and the next tier is $500,000, then I only move $250,000. I save the other $150,000 for another bonus opportunity.
Last edited by livesoft on Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
jbourne99

Post by jbourne99 »

15202guy wrote:...move them back to Vanguard as ETF shares and then reconvert them to mutual fund shares.
You may not be able to reconvert them to mutual fund shares as you plan. https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/faqs#conventionalMF

Be on the lookout for account closure fees.
Topic Author
15202guy

Post by 15202guy »

livesoft wrote:Sure go ahead.
livesoft, thanks for your "first hand experience".
jbourne99 wrote:
15202guy wrote:...move them back to Vanguard as ETF shares and then reconvert them to mutual fund shares.
You may not be able to reconvert them to mutual fund shares as you plan. https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/faqs#conventionalMF

Be on the lookout for account closure fees.
I was unaware that you couldn't convert from ETFs to regular mutual fund shares -- thank you very much for pointing that out. That's less optimal for my situation, but not the end of the world.
hmw

Post by hmw »

What kind of taxes do you pay on this transfer bonuses? I asked TDAmeritrade a few months ago, and was told that it was not reported if it is less than $600.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

So far my cash bonuses have been in tax-advantaged accounts, so no taxes due and no 1099s. But if there was a 1099 for a bonus paid in a taxable account, so what? Would there be a problem with that?
Topic Author
15202guy

Post by 15202guy »

livesoft wrote:So far my cash bonuses have been in tax-advantaged accounts, so no taxes due and no 1099s. But if there was a 1099 for a bonus paid in a taxable account, so what? Would there be a problem with that?
Very interesting...the bonus goes into the tax advantaged account? Does that effectively let you exceed the maximum annual contribution limit on such accounts? I would have thought it would be paid to a taxable account and taxed. Actually, even if it is paid into a tax advantaged account, I would expect for it to be taxed.

It's not a "problem" if the bonus is taxed, but it does change the calculus regarding whether moving assets around is worth it...if you take ~44% off of the bonus then it's a much less compelling deal to many, I would think.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

If I transfer IRA assets from one broker to another and get a bonus for the transfer of those IRA assets, then the bonus goes into that IRA account. Why is that interesting?

It does not help one exceed the contribution limit. To my knowledge, all contribution limits are well below the level needed to garner a meaningful bonus.

Let's face it, a $1,000 bonus on a $250,000 transfer is only 0.4% which is less than a one-day change in many investments. It is like an added 5th dividend payment for a stock fund that pays quarterly dividends. It's pretty good money for 5 minutes of work though and will pay for more than 100 sushi lunches.
Topic Author
15202guy

Post by 15202guy »

livesoft wrote:If I transfer IRA assets from one broker to another and get a bonus for the transfer of those IRA assets, then the bonus goes into that IRA account. Why is that interesting?
Not trying to be a wise-guy, but it just surprises me, so I find it interesting :) With all of the rules/regulations about tax advantaged accounts, I did not think it would be something brokerages would do.
livesoft wrote:It does not help one exceed the contribution limit. To my knowledge, all contribution limits are well below the level needed to garner a meaningful bonus.
What I meant was that I am wondering if the bonus counts against your contribution max. Example: I contribute the annual max to my IRA in January. In August, I transfer the account to another brokerage and they deposit a bonus into my IRA account. Have I exceeded the annual contribution limit? Or have I exceeded the contribution limit in a legal manner?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

The bonus does not count against any contribution max. It the same as if your account earned a dividend. Dividends and other gains do not count against any contribution max.
dbr

Post by dbr »

livesoft wrote: The only unknown is whether Fidelity will send me a 1099DIV for the value of the frequent flyer miles to me or not.
No 1099. As mentioned, this may be different with cash bonuses.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

15202guy wrote:What I meant was that I am wondering if the bonus counts against your contribution max.
No they write it up as interest or something of that sort so it's just extra into the account.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I've been making heavy use of transfer bonuses over the years which is one reason why my accounts are all ETFs and with bonuses for taxable amounts you're supposed to declare them regardless of size but custodians only issue 1099s when they get to a certain size ($1000 maybe) note also that some custodians will cover transfer fees in addition to the bonus and others won't.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

livesoft wrote:It's pretty good money for 5 minutes of work though and will pay for more than 100 sushi lunches.
That's the way I look at it and it only gets better as your asset level grows because it's about the same amount of work to move an account regardless of size unless you get into splitting them maximize the bonus as I've done sometimes.
Last edited by placeholder on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

hmw wrote:What kind of taxes do you pay on this transfer bonuses? I asked TDAmeritrade a few months ago, and was told that it was not reported if it is less than $600.
Even if not reported to you(like bank interest < $10), you are still responsible for reporting and paying taxes on the bonus......I think it's interest .
hmw

Post by hmw »

15202guy wrote:
livesoft wrote:So far my cash bonuses have been in tax-advantaged accounts, so no taxes due and no 1099s. But if there was a 1099 for a bonus paid in a taxable account, so what? Would there be a problem with that?

It's not a "problem" if the bonus is taxed, but it does change the calculus regarding whether moving assets around is worth it...if you take ~44% off of the bonus then it's a much less compelling deal to many, I would think.[/quote]

^ +1
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

All Fidelity would do for me was give me 200 free trades. Those are worthless to me.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

SpringMan wrote:All Fidelity would do for me was give me 200 free trades. Those are worthless to me.
If you had at least 50k to bring in they have an offer to cover that:
https://rewards.fidelity.com/offers/cashrewards
If you're under that then your options are elsewhere like Etrade which will give you the $200 for just 25k.
http://www.hustlermoneyblog.com/best-brokerage-bonuses/
Topic Author
15202guy

Post by 15202guy »

livesoft wrote:The bonus does not count against any contribution max. It the same as if your account earned a dividend. Dividends and other gains do not count against any contribution max.
That's amazing. Done strategically, you can potentially raise your effective annual IRA contribution 50% every single year! That's a HUGE benefit!
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

It is a bit like the free dinner offered for attending the retirement presentation. A certain percentage that go for just the free dinner end up paying a heavy price. So, anytime there is an attractive bonus you really need to not get ensnared by fine print gotchas or being lured into products or services that you don't really need. I know some really smart people that ended up with time shares they were sold while getting that free deal.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Dandy wrote:It is a bit like the free dinner offered for attending the retirement presentation. A certain percentage that go for just the free dinner end up paying a heavy price. So, anytime there is an attractive bonus you really need to not get ensnared by fine print gotchas or being lured into products or services that you don't really need. I know some really smart people that ended up with time shares they were sold while getting that free deal.
The flaw in this is that these are discount brokerages and there isn't (in my experience) any high pressure sales associated with it for the most part they really just want your assets.
dbr

Post by dbr »

placeholder wrote:
Dandy wrote:It is a bit like the free dinner offered for attending the retirement presentation. A certain percentage that go for just the free dinner end up paying a heavy price. So, anytime there is an attractive bonus you really need to not get ensnared by fine print gotchas or being lured into products or services that you don't really need. I know some really smart people that ended up with time shares they were sold while getting that free deal.
The flaw in this is that these are discount brokerages and there isn't (in my experience) any high pressure sales associated with it for the most part they really just want your assets.
There does indeed seem to be a cut-throat competition among the usual suspects to pull in assets even without selling anything at all. There are offers all over the internet.

On the other hand, outside of the Fidelity airline miles offers, I am not all that impressed with the value to be had.

I remember my mother putting $100 in the savings account and they gave her a toaster.
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

hmw wrote:What kind of taxes do you pay on this transfer bonuses? I asked TDAmeritrade a few months ago, and was told that it was not reported if it is less than $600.
You still owe taxes on a gain that isn't reported.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
Pizzasteve510

Post by Pizzasteve510 »

Edited... Seems .25% is the standard ratio.
Last edited by Pizzasteve510 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Pizzasteve510 wrote:$2500 for $1M transfer seems to be the top end deal. I had received $1,200 from Schwab for transferring $500k in, as a match to a Fidelity offer. Seems .25% is the standard ratio.
You could get 50,000 ff miles on DL, AA, or UA at Fidelity for a $100K account repeated annually to some unspecified number of repetitions. At $0.01/mile that is .5%, and if you believe miles are worth $0.02, then that is 1% value back.
leonard

Post by leonard »

Sounds like a monsterous headache - especially if something (who knows what) goes wrong.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

dbr wrote:On the other hand, outside of the Fidelity airline miles offers, I am not all that impressed with the value to be had.
We're talking hundreds even thousands of dollars for very little work not toasters.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Pizzasteve510 wrote:$2500 for $1M transfer seems to be the top end deal.
For a one shot but you can sometimes do better splitting between a few custodians.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

leonard wrote:Sounds like a monsterous headache - especially if something (who knows what) goes wrong.
What headache?
leonard

Post by leonard »

placeholder wrote:
leonard wrote:Sounds like a monsterous headache - especially if something (who knows what) goes wrong.
What headache?
Keep it simple applies to the logistics of investing - not only the portfolio itself.

Financial institutions: make mistakes with transfers, missplace cost basis on xfer. Only takes correcting one of these mistakes to generate a enough time and phone call follow ups to totally consume any benefit.

Also, check the fine print - to ensure there are no exit fees. Or, that the instituation requires a signature guarantee when you are ready to leave. Those can be a challenge to get.

Fewer movements, fewer transactions, fewer opportunities for error.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
coolwaves

Post by coolwaves »

You could get 50,000 ff miles on DL, AA, or UA at Fidelity for a $100K account repeated annually to some unspecified number of repetitions
Are you sure this is true? My rep seems to have told me I could only do it once in any existing account. I have a lot of cash, I could just transfer out of Fidelity and transfer back?
Pizzasteve510

Post by Pizzasteve510 »

Edited...
Last edited by Pizzasteve510 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

leonard wrote:Keep it simple applies to the logistics of investing - not only the portfolio itself.

Financial institutions: make mistakes with transfers, missplace cost basis on xfer. Only takes correcting one of these mistakes to generate a enough time and phone call follow ups to totally consume any benefit.
Even if there were a situation where some time was needed to fix a problem (and that can happen with a transfer into Vanguard too but I don't see anyone hesitating to recommend that) it doesn't consume the benefit it would just make the hourly wage less and I've done many transfers without any problems.
leonard wrote:Also, check the fine print - to ensure there are no exit fees. Or, that the instituation requires a signature guarantee when you are ready to leave. Those can be a challenge to get.
There sometimes are exit fees so you have to figure that into the overall equation but the bit about the signature is just pretty bogus as I've never experienced it and in fact the only custodian I hear of that is into that is Vanguard.
leonard wrote:Fewer movements, fewer transactions, fewer opportunities for error.
I'll go through a bit of complexity to net thousands of dollars.
dbr

Post by dbr »

coolwaves wrote:
You could get 50,000 ff miles on DL, AA, or UA at Fidelity for a $100K account repeated annually to some unspecified number of repetitions
Are you sure this is true? My rep seems to have told me I could only do it once in any existing account. I have a lot of cash, I could just transfer out of Fidelity and transfer back?
For more information this forum is helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuz ... -only.html

They are up to 1942 posts with varying stories of success regarding repeating the offer, people being declared unwanted customers, churning deposits, etc. Note that Fidelity has been changing the terms and practices about these offers, so reading from today backwards is probably best. YMMV* and HUCA*

*YMMV = your mileage may vary HUCA = hang up and call again
boomergeneration

Post by boomergeneration »

I got a 1099 form at the end of last year for my $1,000. bonus from Ameritrade(taxable account).
Tramper Al

Post by Tramper Al »

I have had some experience with these over the last couple of years. I look at it this way. 0.25% or thereabouts may not seem like much at first, but how many of us would jump through hoops to get some or all of our fund/ETF expenses lowered by that much, even for a year at a time? Exactly. The work involved here has typically been about 10 or 15 minutes each, a form, a stamp, and wait a week or two.

I have received bonuses from Fidelity, E*Trade, and TD Ameritrade, and it has been quite easy and without issue. With a transfer in kind and no plans to have to do any "trading" during the 6 or 9 months the assets sit there, it is basically free money. In the case of Fidelity and E*Trade, I already had accounts with them (which was fine for the bonus). With TD Ameritrade, I have now left behind one ETF position in order to avoid the account closure fee. I just made another transfer in, having read that balances over $100K (Apex?) won't be charged to transfer out. Even if stuck with that $75 fee, the $600 bonus I've received will cover it.

As for risk of mistakes during transfer? I transfer holdings form one brokerage to another quite often, and have only ever had one problem, unrelated to these bonus offers, and it was Vanguard Brokerage. They mistakenly tried to transfer an entire account, instead of the one VG fund that I listed quite clearly on their form (and they agreed). That was a mess mainly because I could not get anyone on the phone at Vanguard who could help in any way, they all said once started, no transfer could ever be stopped.

I actually would like to get a second round bonus from Fidelity, and am aiming for the $2500 this time. But I am locked out, now 17 months after the first bonus. The fine print says: "limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months" but I continue to get the window that says I am ineligible. Anybody have any experience with this?
SobeCane

Post by SobeCane »

Tramper Al - I agree with everything above and think it is worth it to play the brokerage bonus game, especially for IRA accounts (no 1099 received).

My one issue is that it will only work with ETF's and not Mutual Funds. The ETF's seem to declare dividends every month and there is no automatic re-investment option for ETF's. I am set it and forget it guy and usually forget to manually buy more shares of the ETF. In your post you say you let the money just sit for the 6-9 months required to get the bonus. Do you set reminders to re-invest the dividends?
Tramper Al

Post by Tramper Al »

SobeCane wrote:Tramper Al - I agree with everything above and think it is worth it to play the brokerage bonus game, especially for IRA accounts (no 1099 received).

My one issue is that it will only work with ETF's and not Mutual Funds. The ETF's seem to declare dividends every month and there is no automatic re-investment option for ETF's. I am set it and forget it guy and usually forget to manually buy more shares of the ETF. In your post you say you let the money just sit for the 6-9 months required to get the bonus. Do you set reminders to re-invest the dividends?
I pay too close attention (though I have tried not to) to not know that distributions are coming, or at least have come. Fidelity certainly will reinvest in your ETF for you, though I'm not sure about the other two. I think what I did in IRA accounts while funds were there was just make an ETF purchase for a no-commission ETF. I have cash in my AA anyway, so as long as I see it there and count it, I am not always compelled to reinvest immediately. In a taxable account, you can always just transfer the cash out right then to where you would normally want it to go.
SobeCane

Post by SobeCane »

How do you get fidelity to re-invest the dividend automatically for an ETF? I thought that was one of the disadvantages to ETFS is that you can't buy fractional shares?

Merrill Edge has a current promo for $500 for 100k in assets or .5%
Tramper Al

Post by Tramper Al »

SobeCane wrote:How do you get fidelity to re-invest the dividend automatically for an ETF? I thought that was one of the disadvantages to ETFS is that you can't buy fractional shares?

Merrill Edge has a current promo for $500 for 100k in assets or .5%
Yes I have (ETF reinvestment at Fidelity) many times. You or I may not be able to buy fractional ETF shares, but Fidelity can split them up and put shares to the nearest 0.001 in an account. They show up the day the cash would have, at a price where it traded some time over the last few days, and without commission.

I have drawn the line this side of Merrill Lynch, I think.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I usually don't reinvest ETF dividends in taxable accounts and if I don't have free trades I'll often pull those out to a different account.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

SobeCane wrote:How do you get fidelity to re-invest the dividend automatically for an ETF? I thought that was one of the disadvantages to ETFS is that you can't buy fractional shares?
You tell them that you want dividends automatically reinvested. All reasonable brokers do this for free. Automatic reinvestment of dividends is not the same as you placing an order for more shares. Reinvested dividends will typically get you fractional shares. When you purchase you cannot buy fractional shares at most brokers.
leonard

Post by leonard »

placeholder wrote: but the bit about the signature is just pretty bogus as I've never experienced it and in fact the only custodian I hear of that is into that is Vanguard.
Bogus. I had a huge headache moving from ML to Vanguard due to signature guarantees.

Do a search of this forum and you will see many, many folks have dealt with a very real (not bogus) signature guarantee requirement.
leonard

Post by leonard »

placeholder wrote:
leonard wrote:Fewer movements, fewer transactions, fewer opportunities for error.
I won't. It only takes one problem and hours of beating ones head against the wall to fix it. That time and frustration can easily eat up a couple thousand dollars worth of benefit.
leonard

Post by leonard »

placeholder wrote:
leonard wrote:Keep it simple applies to the logistics of investing - not only the portfolio itself.

Even if there were a situation where some time was needed to fix a problem (and that can happen with a transfer into Vanguard too but I don't see anyone hesitating to recommend that) it doesn't consume the benefit it would just make the hourly wage less and I've done many transfers without any problems.
A xfer to Vanguard (or fidelity or other low cost brokerage) is necessary to implementing the overall low cost approach. The move to collect a signing bonus is not necessary to implementing an overall low cost approach. Since it's not necessary, it's extra churn that can lead to errors and problems that aren't necessary.

Keep it (including the logistics and recordkeeping) simple.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

leonard wrote:
placeholder wrote: but the bit about the signature is just pretty bogus as I've never experienced it and in fact the only custodian I hear of that is into that is Vanguard.
Bogus. I had a huge headache moving from ML to Vanguard due to signature guarantees.

Do a search of this forum and you will see many, many folks have dealt with a very real (not bogus) signature guarantee requirement.
I recently transferred a bunch of stocks from E*Trade and DRIP accounts to Vanguard. Signature guarantees were not required for any of them. The way the Vanguard rep explained it to me is if the registrations on the accounts are the same, no signature guarantees needed. If the registrations are different, then they are required. One difference requiring a signature guarantee would be transferring a stock certificate or account that has one person's name on it into a joint account, or vice versa. My wife does have stock in a DRIP plan in her name (from before we were married) and I have not taken the time to get a signature guarantee.

I don't claim to be an expert on this. That's how it worked and was explained to me.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

leonard wrote:
placeholder wrote:
I won't. It only takes one problem and hours of beating ones head against the wall to fix it. That time and frustration can easily eat up a couple thousand dollars worth of benefit.
I agree with this but only if the probability of a mistake occurring is high enough. If the rate of mistakes is low enough, then I'd think it would be worth taking the chance for the right amount of compensation. We all assess what risks are worth taking differently, though. It seems most of the people here who have done such a transfer have found that the process was easy and accurate and they seem happy with the decision to do the transfer. The way I look at it, there is always the possibility that a mistake could be made. However, I went into the ocean this summer even though shark attacks occur sometimes. I dipped in anyway because I figured the probability of being eaten was low enough. What I don't understand is that despite all the automobile fatalities and heart attacks in our nation, why do I keep driving my car and eating hamburgers? Since I'm apparently more of a risk-taker then I'd like to believe, I'm going to look into which brokerage's offer would be best for transferring my IRA accounts to earn a bonus. I've never done it before so am hoping all goes well. I'm going to print out the most recent statement just in case an error is made and I end up having to get things fixed. If all goes without a hitch, though, there are some hamburgers with my name all over them!
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

leonard wrote:Bogus. I had a huge headache moving from ML to Vanguard due to signature guarantees.
Merrill Lynch or Merrill Edge and what were the exact circumstances (was it a registration difference or a general policy)?
Last edited by placeholder on Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

leonard wrote:I won't. It only takes one problem and hours of beating ones head against the wall to fix it. That time and frustration can easily eat up a couple thousand dollars worth of benefit.
Problems that take hours to fix can happen anyway.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

leonard wrote:A xfer to Vanguard (or fidelity or other low cost brokerage) is necessary to implementing the overall low cost approach. The move to collect a signing bonus is not necessary to implementing an overall low cost approach. Since it's not necessary, it's extra churn that can lead to errors and problems that aren't necessary.
Taking a walk around the block can get you hit by a car so better to keep your life simple and stay in the house.