Sending cash back to myself in the US (from Brazil)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
BSA44

Sending cash back to myself in the US (from Brazil)

Post by BSA44 »

Hi Everyone,

I did a quick Google search for the answer to this question to no avail. I am a US citizen currently in Curitiba, Brazil for a combination of business/vacation. I just got paid $3,000 in cash for a speaking engagement (we already had an additional $1,000k on us because we brought US dollars to exchange for Brazilian currency for the rest of our trip). We'll be traveling to Rio de Janeiro tomorrow by plane and spending a few days there. I normally wouldn't feel comfortable traveling with this much money on me, and I especially don't feel comfortable in the current area given the relatively high incidence of muggings (we'll obviously keep the money in our hotel room safe when we can, but still have to travel to and from the hotel). Is there any way that I can send this money back to myself or deposit it in my bank account while I'm in Curitiba? I have bank accounts with Ally and BOA, but neither seems to have locations in Curitiba. There is an HSBC location near our hotel, but I have no accounts there. Given the money is in US dollars, it would also be ideal to avoid any foreign transaction fees (i.e., needing to convert the money to Brazilian Real and then back to US dollars in order to send it).

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help!
LeeMKE

Re: Sending cash back to myself in the US (from Brazil)

Post by LeeMKE »

Andrew,

In my limited experience, the hosts intended for you to carry the cash back with you. If you deposit it from there, it will be converted and then converted again. US dollars are often black market currency and tightly regulated for citizens of that country. So, someone went to some trouble and expense to give you currency you could use without worries about fluctuating values and dealing with foreign currency exchange fees.

$3,000 plus whatever you have leftover from your vacation expenses isn't enough to be required to report it to US customs (I think the reporting amount is still $10,000.00 or more). I'd avoid putting it in checked luggage, but otherwise just carry it back home with you.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

Invest in a money belt and bring the $ back with you. I do it all the time. Brazilian banks are rapacious, even local branches of foreign banks, ie HSBC, Citi.
kramer

Post by kramer »

Just the act of going to a bank to ask about this could draw unwanted attention.

And while this is a lot of money, it is not *that* much money (e.g., if you lose it, it would not be the end of the world).

Just try to keep it safely locked up in your hotel room. Rio is downright dangerous, don't take it out of the hotel with you.