Information for Caregivers and Survivors document

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
sunnyday

Information for Caregivers and Survivors document

Post by sunnyday »

My wife and I are setting up a sheet with information for our survivors. I'm going to list things like SS#s, life insurance policies, real estate holding, mortgage and insurance, pension, financial accounts, code for our safe. I'll distribute that list to two relatives and also keep an additional list that includes passwords in a safe at my house or a safe deposit box. Do you have any recommendations and is there anything else that I should list?

This topic came up a few months ago and there were some great responses. I'm now having trouble finding the thread. If anyone wants to link to it that would be great too. Thanks
pjstack

Re: Information for Caregivers and Survivors document

Post by pjstack »

pjstack
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Here is a very helpful thread that I found linked in the Estate Planning article on the wiki under the headline title Death Book. But I like your title for this current thread better, because when I think about this topic, I am not just thinking about preparing for my death but also for possible times of incapacity (which need not be permanent, of course).

Also note that your safe deposit box will be sealed after your death and it may take some time for your executor to get the court appointment papers necessary to authorize access to it. If the box is owned by you, it is not a good place to keep this type of document. An alternative would be for spouses or your intended executors to each keep this document for their spouses in their own separately owned boxes. My lawyer is keeping the original of my will and papers authorizing my daughter as POA in her safe. I am also thinking of giving her a list of the places where I have accounts and other useful information to keep her in her safe. No accounts numbers or passwords, but I would still put it in a sealed envelope with a letter of instruction to give it to my daughters upon my death or incapacity.
Topic Author
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

^^ Thanks, the first link is the exact thread I was wondering about the "death book" thread has some great additional information. It may be a bit overkill for myself and my wife but I'll get some things together that are listed in it.
Good point about the safe deposit box -- was leaning towards a home safe anyway.