Poll - Do you use Quicken?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes: 272

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

How many Bogleheads use Quicken?

Do you use it for Windows or Mac?

What are your thoughts with the whole investor to Admiral share conversions? Has this been improved with some new "mutual fund conversion" feature that I am reading about?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
sscritic

Re: Poll - Do you use Quicken?

Post by sscritic »

Mac. I have no problems with conversions. My register shows Admiral Conversion In and Admiral Conversion Out as the two sides to the conversion. Now maybe you want to do something other than know your account values and have a record of what has happened, but that's all I need. Quicken records my spending: in my checking accounts, my credit card accounts, and my Vanguard accounts. It does what I want.

P.S. Mine was an Out, not an In, from the point of view of the Admiral.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

No because I don't care about tracking personal spending and Excel is excellent for handling my investment accounts.
JoeJohnson

Post by JoeJohnson »

I use Mint to track spending.
BHCadet

Post by BHCadet »

Windows 7
chaz

Post by chaz »

No, no need for me.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Jake46

Post by Jake46 »

I used Quicken for years but switched to iBank three years ago.
acr123

Post by acr123 »

yes , been using for over 10 years
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Nope. Unnecessary for myself.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We used it for 10 years and overall we liked the program. However, we have been "Quicken Free" for 5 years. At the end our frustration was growing and the inability to convert Investor shares to Admiral shares resulted in us pulling the plug.

Now as the multi year transition away form Windows to Apple continues (as products break or are replaced) I was curious if we should look at a different software of Quicken for Apple (assuming we use personal finance software again). I am seeing a lot of "iMoney" comments on the board over time but am unfamiliar with the program.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
hornet96

Post by hornet96 »

Windows 7 for my Quicken platform (Premier 2013). I had a conversion to admiral shares a year or so ago that took a little extra effort to figure out (I think I had to void a transaction that I messed up upon first attempt). Looking back, I had to do the "add/remove" shares function, but was somehow able to keep the correct cost basis in my file. I see now that there is a "mutual fund conversion" option, which may be the correct way to do this (not sure if this option was in my version of quicken at the time of my admiral conversion).

Being an accountant, I use Quicken to basically manage our household finances like a business. It has helped tremendously to get a handle on things in much greater detail and plan for our future. That being said, it does take some *effort* to learn how to best use the program for your needs, as it is not quite a simple plug-and-play operation, like Mint basically is. However, once I got Quicken setup to my liking, it now only takes me about 5 minutes or so each day to run updates. Much easier than keeping track of everything manually via spreadsheets, in my opinion.
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

I have used Quicken for personal and some business tracking for over 20 years. I do NOT use automatic update from Vanguard or Fidelity, but rather make each transaction manually so that I can understand just what goes on.
YellowJacket
bcjb

Post by bcjb »

No; we don't track personal spending and don't have a budget. We check our investments and checking account once a month, and that's sufficient for us.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I still use Quicken but only to maintain the basis for taxable investments. I could probably convert to a spreadsheet and probably before I would do another upgrade. Most of our taxable basis was consolidated in the great TLH of '08-09 so it would be much less onerous to convert to a spreadsheet now.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

No, I do most everything in Excel.
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

Have used Quicken for over 10 years to track spending -- credit cards, checking and cash. Use Excel to track investments and for portfoloio management.
prudent

Post by prudent »

I use Quicken but acknowledge it could all be done in a spreadsheet. My wife does not know how to use Excel so I continue to use Quicken just in case.
Toons

Post by Toons »

22 years,it is an integral part of my financial life :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

deleted - obsolete
Last edited by TimeRunner on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
Meg77

Post by Meg77 »

I use Mint for spending, SigFig for investment monitoring, and Excel for net worth tracking over time. I tried Quicken years ago on my Mac, but it seemed overly burdensome since every single thing had to be categorized manually. I'm sure I'd love it, but I've been using my system for so long that I have no motivation to switch.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
peppers

Post by peppers »

No, I use a number 2 pencil and a spiral notebook to track our assets.
For tracking expenses, I GPS my wife's car.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I used MS Money for many years. Finally when the end came I switched to Quicken. HATED IT. I found Money infinitely better for investment tracking/returns. Not as visually interesting as Quicken but much greater functionality (IMHO). I now use the free sunset edition of Money, which works on Win7 (good for 5-6 more years). I will use an Abacus before I will go back to Quicken.
flossy21

Post by flossy21 »

I used Quicken for years. I switched to Mac a few years back and Quicken for Mac does not have a very good reputation so I converted to Moneydance. It mapped over all my Quicken data so I have my history as well.

It works very well. I would highly recommend it to anyone; Windows or Mac user.

If you want to read what other Bogleheads have said about Moneydance then use the search feature. There have been many threads on it and Quicken in the past.
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

Used to but not anymore.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

The first paycheck that shows up in my Quicken data is January 1991. That's over 23 years ago.

Pretty much every income or expense since then has gone into Quicken.

I also back-filled major expenses to 1985. For example all mortgage and tax payments.

I'm not sure how I could stop since nearly everything is now on autopilot. All income and every expense except a few cash payments and some rare or one-time payments to places that don't take cards and want cash (or check) on the spot. For example septic tank pumping. I have a lawn guy now who likes physical checks but I haven't had him long enough to establish a mail-in payment which I could then automate in Quicken.
MANY things go on my AMEX. I only need to fill in the expense category the first time. One Quicken sees it it is automatic from then on.
Last edited by bertilak on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 »

Former Quicken user. Now I use YNAB for budgeting. Mac
froman118

Post by froman118 »

Nope, spending and budgets tracked with Mint. Investments and big picture stuff tracked in Google Sheets.
OAG

Post by OAG »

Quicken 2014 Windows 8.1 Update 1 on Surface Pro 2 here.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
OAG

Post by OAG »

Rob5TCP wrote:I used MS Money for many years. Finally when the end came I switched to Quicken. HATED IT. I found Money infinitely better for investment tracking/returns. Not as visually interesting as Quicken but much greater functionality (IMHO). I now use the free sunset edition of Money, which works on Win7 (good for 5-6 more years). I will use an Abacus before I will go back to Quicken.
Sunset also works on Win 8.1.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Similar to bertilak, I have also been using Quicken since 1991. First version I used was Quicken for DOS 4.0 I believe.

I use it for tracking spending, account reconciliation, tracking investment cost basis and transactions, loan/mortgage tracking, tax record keeping, etc. I think my wife would rather do everything on paper still but I don't think she realizes how much of a time saver Quicken can be. It's not perfect but has served me pretty well overall. The only financial things I do outside of Quicken are my asset allocation (Excel spreadsheet and Morningstar Portfolio Tracker) and long-term retirement planning (Excel spreadsheet).
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

I answered no. Like others, I started with Quicken in the early 90's. Around 1998 I upgraded to the latest version of Quicken, and a month later got a telemarketing call from them trying to sell me the upgrade. "WTF, you're interrupting my dinner time when I already bought the upgrade a month ago?!?!?!" I immediately switched to Microsoft Money. For the most part I liked Money better than Quicken. I rely on automatic downloads, so when MS dropped support for Money I switched to MoneyDance. I've been reasonably happy with MD.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

I started using MoneyCounts (Parsons Technology) in 1987 and found it to be a great product that fit my home accounting needs, while running under DOS (I didn't use Windows at the time).

Quicken bought out MoneyCounts (Parsons Technology) in 1994 and provided a simple way to port the MC entries into the then current Quicken software.

I guess you can say that I've been using Quicken or one of its predecessors for 27+ years.

- Ron
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I use Quicken on Windows for tracking cost basis, investments, credit cards, bank accounts, etc

I'm surprised that Excel is so widely used. I've written elaborate applications in Excel and VB for Apps, but why would I jump through hoops to do what Quicken does out of the box? I guess if you've got only a few accounts, few mutual funds, few credit cards, etc it might be okay, but I only roll my own if there isn't a fit for purpose solution available for a few dollars to amazon.

YMMV
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
gks

Post by gks »

Microsoft Money Sunset Edition. Yes, I have to enter updates manually, but I have 14 years of income, expenditures, and appreciation all in one program. Use Open Office spread sheet for quarterly gains and losses for investments.

Greg
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

TomatoTomahto wrote:I'm surprised that Excel is so widely used. I've written elaborate applications in Excel and VB for Apps, but why would I jump through hoops to do what Quicken does out of the box?
I have never used Quicken but can it aggregate various investments into allocation types and perform a rebalancing analysis?
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

placeholder wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:I'm surprised that Excel is so widely used. I've written elaborate applications in Excel and VB for Apps, but why would I jump through hoops to do what Quicken does out of the box?
I have never used Quicken but can it aggregate various investments into allocation types and perform a rebalancing analysis?
It will categorize investments based on what is downloaded for securities that are not one type only; I'm not sure of the source of the data, but mutual funds can be called "mixture" type (e,g., 10% international equity, 20% international bond, etc.). I don't know what you mean by a rebalancing analysis, but there are many charts and reports available that probably satisfy most people's needs. If the reports need additional tweaking, I sometimes import them into Excel and pivot to my heart's content.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

placeholder wrote:
Yes. It pools all accounts and reports the portfolio weights on large cap, international stocks, domestic bonds, small cap, cash, other asset class.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

I'm pretty good with Excel. But I use quicken because

1. 1-click update accounts
2. can input gross income and split into many categories, which helps income tax planning
3. net worth report
4. monthly income/expense report
5. update investments using the latest prices
Alan S.

Post by Alan S. »

gks wrote:Microsoft Money Sunset Edition. Yes, I have to enter updates manually, but I have 14 years of income, expenditures, and appreciation all in one program. Use Open Office spread sheet for quarterly gains and losses for investments.

Greg
Eventually Microsoft will probably sunset the sunset as they are prone to do, and transferring all your data to another program has presented some real hassles for many. Be sure to use the backup facility.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

used Quicken for many years but for the last 10 years, I have not needed it.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Has anyone here used AceMoney before?
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

I use Quicken for our personal expenses and portfolio. Tried Money Dance after hearing about it here, and it seemed more trouble than it was worth to get the data cleaned up. I was attracted to the ability to use an app to record checks, and then found that Quicken had finally added an app with this feature as well, so there was no benefit to cleaning up the MoneyDance file to play with it any longer. My records go back about 20 years, so that might have been a big part of my frustration with MoneyDance as it really scrambled a lot of historic entries.

The retirement planning section in Quicken is pretty good, and I've used it for years to confirm I was on track for retirement. Now I lean on the Fidelity tool as my primary source of evaluation because it is much more sophisticated and it is time to get down and dirty about the details as we approach retirement.

Years ago I used an excel spreadsheet. A boyfriend watched what I was doing and bought me a copy of Quicken for Christmas and helped me get it setup. So I've used Excel as well.

For new folks, serious about investing, I'd still recommend Quicken for the analysis tools that happen automatically as you populate your data. There are tools I don't use to track expenses to your budget, and other interesting tools to get and keep you on track. When the money gets serious, then it's worth investing the time to populate data on Fidelity's tools or some other big kid analysis tool.

I do like being able to update all accounts with one step, as I'm all about avoiding data entry.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
villars

Post by villars »

placeholder wrote:No because I don't care about tracking personal spending and Excel is excellent for handling my investment accounts.
ditto.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

acegolfer wrote:I'm pretty good with Excel. But I use quicken because

1. 1-click update accounts
2. can input gross income and split into many categories, which helps income tax planning
3. net worth report
4. monthly income/expense report
5. update investments using the latest prices
All that is nice but there are two other things I would put at the top of my list:
  1. Integration of automated bill paying with automated record keeping (including account reconciliation). One action (usually automated except for a one-click OK by me and sometimes updating the amount) does both. I almost never need to write out a physical check nor stamp an envelope nor cart it out to the mailbox (or forget to and be late in payment).

As a bonus, the only reason I have needed new checks since 1991 is when I moved and my address needed updating.
  2. By setting all those scheduled transactions (deposits and payments) to be automatically entered 35 days in advance (but not actually initiated) I always have a good handle on my upcoming cash flow for just over a moth in advance. This is a fantastic management tool. I can keep an eye on the float to see if anything needs "topping up."
Last edited by bertilak on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

I started using Quicken in DOS days, it seemed a treat. Over the years it started to get overloaded and when various financial sites allowed me to enter "outside investments", I ditched Quicken. Never was one to budget or track expenses, spend what is needed, save the rest.

Fast forward eight years or so and I am now retired, with only vague ideas of what I spend and for what. So I have re-installed Quicken and will use it for the next year or so to see what I spend and where I spend it. Might ditch again once I am reassured that our savings are sufficient to take us to the end. :happy

Running Windows 7 on a ThinkPad
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
etarini

Post by etarini »

Yes, since 1998, but only for personal expenditures; we use Excel for everything else. We have Quicken Deluxe 2004. (I suppose I should upgrade, but it works fine for us the way it is.) We don't do any direct downloads; everything, including all cash, is entered manually. We have PrimeMM as one of the accounts, but mainly because it's where the Vanguard cash sweeps go.

It's also a log of our life, with lots of details in the memo field of what we did, when, and where. What was the name of that restaurant? How many times have we taken visitors on the Boston Duck Boat tours? Which credit card did we use in the UK last year? Where did we spend Thanksgiving in 2003?

Eric
WingsFan4Life

Post by WingsFan4Life »

I use You Need A Budget (YNAB).
kayanco

Post by kayanco »

For free option, Mint will suffice for most folks. Although Quicken budget capabilities are a bit better, but I don't think it would matter much.

Another paid option, if you want manual control (and not share bank info), would be YNAB.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Been using Quicken since early 1990s. Originally on Mac, now on PC. I only upgrade every other new version. Seems to get more complicated every upgrade -- and documentation is practically useless. Fear of what will happen if I need to convert another account to Admiral shares makes me inclined to avoid adding to the account. I've screwed up so badly trying to convert accounts I've probably lost a bunch of historical information. Ugly, ugly stuff. But we know that the folks at Quicken don't really care what we think.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

The admiral shares conversion was a hassle (I'd forgotten about it since it happened years ago). Unfortunately I bought TSM and had dividends reinvested. I knew I needed to get the number of shares right for each lot in order to maintain cost basis properly. I ended up building a conversion spreadsheet and essentially had to re-enter every purchase.

I don't hold this against Intuit/Quicken; it is a quirk of a single mutual fund vendor (Vanguard). I don't expect Intuit to build a custom conversion tool to support one company's peculiar processes.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer