Lump Sum or Monthly Pmts

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
KipZoji

Lump Sum or Monthly Pmts

Post by KipZoji »

After receiving a fixed monthly payment amount of $1,056 for six years, the company has offered me the choice of taking a lump sum payment of $128,000, or continuing with the monthly payments for life. I am seeking suggestions.
jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Re: Lump Sum or Monthly Pmts

Post by jimb_fromATL »

KipZoji wrote:After receiving a fixed monthly payment amount of $1,056 for six years, the company has offered me the choice of taking a lump sum payment of $128,000, or continuing with the monthly payments for life. I am seeking suggestions.
How old are you?
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

KipZoji wrote:After receiving a fixed monthly payment amount of $1,056 for six years, the company has offered me the choice of taking a lump sum payment of $128,000, or continuing with the monthly payments for life. I am seeking suggestions.
KipZoji:

Welcome to the Bogleheads Forum!

More questions:

How is your health?
Are you married? If so, what is your spouses age and is a joint payment available?
Do you feel the monthly payment is a secure guarantee?

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Topic Author
KipZoji

Post by KipZoji »

Marital Status: currently single
Health: good
Company is secure
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

Immediateannuities.com quotes that 128,000 would buy an immediate annuity of only $873/month for a single male. A $1,056/month annuity would cost $156,000.

If your health is poor, like heart problems, cancer, or diabetes, this might be a reasonable deal. If you are in normal or better health, not a good deal.

Ralph
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

KipZoji:

According to http://www.immediateannuities.com, the highest lifetime income obtainable with an investment of $128,000 in a commercial insurance company is $873/month.

In my opinion, your guaranteed income of $1,056/month is a bargain compared with their lump sum offer and subsequent investment risk.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Topic Author
KipZoji

Post by KipZoji »

Taylor,
Thanks very much. That is the conclusion I am coming to.
Cheers,
Kip
pjstack

Post by pjstack »

$1056/month equals $12,672 per year. That goes into $128,000 a little over ten times.

If you think you might live longer than ten years, take the $1056/month!
pjstack
Topic Author
KipZoji

Post by KipZoji »

Thanks, pjstack. I agree.
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

This question , lump sum or annuity , seems to come up often and if you search on the topic you get a flood of responses which are hard to sift through - but if you search by author and enter G$$ you'll get a more manageable list - in my opinion he gave some very thoughtful ,thorough, and knowledgeable responses to this question.

It will still take a little time to read the responses but a worthwhile exercise in my opinion.