In retirement you expect your standard of living to?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.

In retirement you expect your standard of living to?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:00 am

Stay About The Same
54%
Go Up Some
31%
Go Down Some
6%
Go Up A Lot
7%
Go Down A Lot
1%
I have no expectations I will just take what the market provides
1%

Total votes: 217

LongerPrimer

Re: In retirement you expect your standard of living to?

Post by LongerPrimer »

Forced retirements. OK in SS + small pension and small stipends to care for elderly parents. We only ocassionally tapped into retirement funds for a couple of thousands. At RMD andRMD + 2yrs, some of the annuities will matured and our income will go up substantially, if parents' (currently 95, 95) condition do not burden us too heavily.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Our goal is to have the same level of discretionary spending. Given modestly increasing standard of living this is a bit of a moving target. But within modest error bars, I think our chances of success are pretty high.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
avenger

Post by avenger »

Go up some. Plan on spending more money with more free time.

cheers ... -Mark
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
fmzip

Re: In retirement you expect you standard of living to?

Post by fmzip »

HomerJ wrote:
Working for 5-10 more years so I can buy a nicer car or a nicer boat, or a nicer house, or fly first-class doesn't seem worth it to me.

Time > Money

Great advice here!
island

Re: In retirement you expect you standard of living to?

Post by island »

steve_14 wrote:Standard of living, the same. Quality of life, much higher.
Agree. More time to travel.
hdcd

Post by hdcd »

I expect my standard of level living to about double. Going to retire at 64 with COLA adjusted 100% pension and add in SS/Inherited IRA/Roth's/RE investment income. Looking to do OK. Also planning to do P/T work as long as I can. Can only do so much travel and butt sitting :o