It is time to retire when you .......

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Re: It is time to retire when you .......

Post by Ron »

When you finally realize what really is important...

- Ron
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:There are a lot of threads that talk about when it is time to retire. People have all sorts of different events that people set as the finish line to work. Some of these are classic and logical and some can be at least mildly amusing. Here are the 4 I have been mullying around I would like to see what other people are thinking of using. So it is time to retire when.....

1) ...I reach my number
2) ...I reach age X
3) ...I have earned X more dollars
4) ...my cat dies and I am free to travel
My goal is $2 million and a paid off house at age 55 (when my last kid graduates college, and my wife turns 63 and can collect Social Security)

Now, how flexible are those goals? If I have $2 million at 54 will I retire a year early? If I have $1.8 million at 55, will I retire anyway?

Not sure which is more important, the age or the amount. I'll make the final decision when I'm close to both.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

wilpat wrote:I retired (at 72) when my health dictated that it was time. If it were my choice I would still be working (at 74). I was one of the lucky people that enjoyed work immensely. In my 58 years of working I cannot think of a dozen days that I didn't wake up looking forward to going to work.
What did you do? You were indeed very very lucky.

I very much like my job, but I can always think of something I'd rather do instead.

Surely, you didn't do the same job for 58 years? When you were 15, you woke up looking forward to going to work?
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

StarbuxInvestor wrote: 4) ...my cat dies and I am free to travel
Had to laugh at that one, but it did sort of strike home. We plan to do more traveling when we retire, as well as likely relocating, and I'm not sure our older cats would do well with that. I used to strike a fairly utilitarian view about pets, and how they shouldn't run your life, but they do seem to be an excuse to tip the balance towards the status quo right now.

and then I have:

5) ... the small business my wife works for is either sold or wraps up. A part time job that is only a small portion of our income shouldn't carry that much weight, but personal loyalty to people that have come to rely on her makes a difference. If this one would sort out, I'd probably either retire or take an extended leave of absence.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

get an offer you can't refuse.
kramer

Post by kramer »

I knew it was time to retire when . . .

I was so burned out on my tech job that each time I needed to use the restroom I walked downstairs from my 3rd story office and walked outside to a random restroom on the other side of the campus. Just to get outside and get away.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

When your company is willing to pay you almost as much to leave as you would make if you stayed.

I had long planned to retire (not early) next year. Megacorp is cutting heads and made an offer. I took it -- after getting some insightful input from the Bogleheads. I have adapted very quickly. :D
russellh

Post by russellh »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:There are a lot of threads that talk about when it is time to retire. People have all sorts of different events that people set as the finish line to work. Some of these are classic and logical and some can be at least mildly amusing. Here are the 4 I have been mullying around I would like to see what other people are thinking of using. So it is time to retire when.....

1) ...I reach my number
2) ...I reach age X
When my pension + income from investments = 100% of my current salary. I guess that is (1) above.
The only question is whether I use 4% or 3% as income from investments. I'm leaning toward 3% to be safe.
jcman01

Post by jcman01 »

HomerJ wrote:

1) ...I reach my number
2) ...I reach age X
My goal is $2 million and a paid off house at age 55 (when my last kid graduates college, and my wife turns 63 and can collect Social Security)

Now, how flexible are those goals? If I have $2 million at 54 will I retire a year early? If I have $1.8 million at 55, will I retire anyway?

Not sure which is more important, the age or the amount. I'll make the final decision when I'm close to both.
I am trying to understand your situation and compare it to mine. You want to retire at 55 with $2 million. At that time your wife will be 63 and collecting SS?

Will you have any other income besides SS and the earnings from the $2 million?
hudson

Post by hudson »

When you want to find out what it's like on the other side of the fence....and you're ready to give it a shot.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

jcman01 wrote:
HomerJ wrote:

1) ...I reach my number
2) ...I reach age X

I am trying to understand your situation and compare it to mine. You want to retire at 55 with $2 million. At that time your wife will be 63 and collecting SS?

Will you have any other income besides SS and the earnings from the $2 million?
Nope that's it... With a paid off house, we don't need a lot of money to live very well (we're in the mid-west)...

Our house is paid off now, and we spend about $6000 a month now (we kept track for a year with Quicken)... Wife will get $1500 a month from Social Security.

So we need to generate $4500 a month ($54,000 a year in today's money)... With 3% inflation, that is $72,000 a year in 10 years...

4% pulled from $2 million is $80,000 a year. My Social Security will kick in 8-15 years after I retire, so that will be extra...
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

Watty wrote:Before the Affordable Care Act, my answer was, "as soon as my spouse and I are both 63.5 years old and 18 months of COBRA will get us to Medicare", since buying private health insurance for someone in their late 50 or 60 was so difficult.
This was my first plan :sharebeer
Retire when I had insurance coverage, the new healthcare solved that
John
BigJohn

Post by BigJohn »

Six months ago I was giving this little thought. Now giving very serious consideration to retiring at the end of this year. Based on posts it seems an easy decision for many but for me it's one of the most difficult questions I've had to consider in the last 20+ years. What flipped the switch was a combination of

1) Increasingly frustrated with things at work. Still a lot that I enjoy but percentage of bureaucratic nonsense is growing (or at least my tolerance is decreasing)
2) Wife's health concerns and worry about how much time we'll have to enjoy retirement. In hindsight I may wish I had retired sooner but felt I needed to wait for #3 & 4
3) Old enough to be vested in pension without a substantial discount. At end of the year I'll get ~92% which is starting to feel like enough based on #1 & 2
4) All three kids off the payroll in jobs with health benefits and 401(k)s. Achieved this objective several weeks ago :D
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan" - Carl Von Clausewitz
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

BigJohn wrote:Six months ago I was giving this little thought. Now giving very serious consideration to retiring at the end of this year. Based on posts it seems an easy decision for many but for me it's one of the most difficult questions I've had to consider in the last 20+ years. What flipped the switch was a combination of

1) Increasingly frustrated with things at work. Still a lot that I enjoy but percentage of bureaucratic nonsense is growing (or at least my tolerance is decreasing)
2) Wife's health concerns and worry about how much time we'll have to enjoy retirement. In hindsight I may wish I had retired sooner but felt I needed to wait for #3 & 4
3) Old enough to be vested in pension without a substantial discount. At end of the year I'll get ~92% which is starting to feel like enough based on #1 & 2
4) All three kids off the payroll in jobs with health benefits and 401(k)s. Achieved this objective several weeks ago :D
Personally I think it is a very big decision and is difficult for a lot of people so you are not alone or even unusual in that regard.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Pay Off mortgage -8 years
Youngest thru college - 18 years
Find hobbys? - done, travel + exercise + soccer + wimbledon etc
Any spare time can always be filled by test match cricket...the most time consuming activity known to man
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
tj

Post by tj »

Find hobbys? - done, travel + exercise + soccer + wimbledon etc

Do you only play tennis on grass? :)
Average Investor

Post by Average Investor »

Woodshark wrote:
"When you have enough and you've had enough"
Awesome, that nails it for me!
Tomorrow never knows.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Tim_in_GA wrote:When my investments can generate income greater than my spending needs, then it's time.
This above and Woodshark's terrific reply quoted several times did it for me. I retired 5 1/2 years ago at age 45 once these key pieces (and others) fell into place.
RunningRad

Post by RunningRad »

Average Investor wrote:
Woodshark wrote:
"When you have enough and you've had enough"
Awesome, that nails it for me!
Ditto, and I am getting close on both accounts, very close!
Few decisions in life motivated by greed ever have happy outcomes--Peter Bernstein, The 60/40 Solution
jcman01

Post by jcman01 »

I was 17 years old in the 70s working at a gas station. One of my jobs was to help perform annual inspections. I had to pull wheels and brake drums. When I pulled the brake drums, little did I know that I was breathing clouds of asbestos.

So I feel like I want to enjoy life while I can.

I plan to retire as soon as I hit the "Rule of 90" in my pension plan next March.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Woodshark wrote:"When you have enough"
Personally, unless I was magically given just a stupid amount of money, I am not sure I know how to answer this question. Seems like once you get to one level there is always another level one can envision. I think you need another parameter like age, health or job enjoyment before you can answer what is enough.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
BigJohn

Post by BigJohn »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:
Woodshark wrote:When you have enough...
Personally, unless I was magically given just a stupid amount of money, I am not sure I know how to answer this question. Seems like once you get to one level there is always another level one can envision. I think you need another parameter like age, health or job enjoyment before you can answer what is enough.
+1

I think the missing part of the question is "enough to do what?". For me it's not about another level of increasing life style, don't really see that changing. The question I struggle with is what level of contingencies do I want to cover... how significant a market drop, how much help to the kids, etc. Especially important when considering retirement in your late 50's as a lot can happen in 30+ years
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan" - Carl Von Clausewitz
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

kramer wrote:I knew it was time to retire when . . .

I was so burned out on my tech job that each time I needed to use the restroom I walked downstairs from my 3rd story office and walked outside to a random restroom on the other side of the campus. Just to get outside and get away.
OMG, you just described me... I'm on the third floor and everything, it must be time :shock:
trueblueky

Post by trueblueky »

1) when your pension take home is as much as your work take home

2) when one parent dies and you want to move closer to the survivor

3) when your youngest finishes college

For me, all three happened within six months.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Crimsontide wrote:

OMG, you just described me... I'm on the third floor and everything, it must be time :shock:
I have a fitbit so I tell them I have to get some steps in and go walk around the parking lot for a few minutes.
marielake

Post by marielake »

A few weeks ago, I got off the commuter train, was walking to my office when out of the blue decided I'd had enough and I didn't want to do it any more. At end of day, I went thru my spreadsheets with a fresh eye. I'm no where near wealthy, but have enough to live modestly; still a bit concerned about cost of health care insurance. I pulled out a calendar to back into a retirement date after taking into account 18 mos cobra and 12 weeks earned time. Looks like my date will be the end of May 2015, unless I can figure a way to do it earlier with federal subsidy for health care. It is time to see a tax accountant
Last edited by marielake on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ged

Post by Ged »

It's time when you don't want to work any more and have a means of support.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

The decision is quite complex unless your boss makes it for you :oops:
1. It used to be concern about health insurance
2. You and your spouse's health
3. Obligations e.g. mortgage, kids in college, other debt
4. How much you love/hate your job
5. The physical/mental strain of the job/commute
6. Your retirement assets
7. fear of change - making a possible irreversible major decision
8. What am I going to do when I retire and have all this free time?
9. How will we bridge time to get to pension, Social Security or Medicare?
privateer79

Post by privateer79 »

have all the kids off to college(17 years)
have "enough" (7-10 years)
get burned out from work (fingers crossed :), its been fun so far)
Independent

Post by Independent »

Can't take w*rk anymore.

There's a poll on the topic "What finally made you walk out the door?" on the Retire Early forum.

IIRC, the clear majority of responses involved something negative at work, not something positive about retirement.
New [boss, project, job description, CEO, ...] that just I didn't like.
Or, just couldn't take one more year of corporate malarky [goal setting, team building exercises, re-organizing because management can't think of anything constructive, ...]

A much smaller number of people said things like: Visited the Pacific Northwest and thought "Why would I want to go home?"
Or, "I hit my number and decided to retire on schedule".
peppers

Post by peppers »

"...The thrill is gone...the thrill is gone away..."
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Ged wrote:It's time when you don't want to work any more and have a means of support.
Part one came early; like even when I enjoyed it I always had something better to do than go to work

Having the means of support came way later but then I started enjoying my consult work out of a home office... Go figure.
Thankfully, at 75, I truly shut down the office for good this past January 8-)
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Watty wrote:Before the Affordable Care Act, my answer was, "as soon as my spouse and I are both 63.5 years old and 18 months of COBRA will get us to Medicare", since buying private health insurance for someone in their late 50 or 60 was so difficult.
Sorry to side track this post. How does Affordable Care act can help, what the requirement? Low income? What about the typical Boglehead's large portfolio or saving? Does that mean my retirement redraw has to be low?
I tried to search the government site and it's not easily searchable. Thanks in advance for any help.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Will do good wrote:
Sorry to side track this post. How does Affordable Care act can help, what the requirement? Low income? What about the typical Boglehead's large portfolio or saving? Does that mean my retirement redraw has to be low?
I tried to search the government site and it's not easily searchable. Thanks in advance for any help.
Until ACA, many people who were ready to retire but still not eligible for Medicare could not count on getting health insurance at an affordable cost -- or even at any cost if they had a "pre-existing condition."*** I considered taking early retirement when I became eligible at my company a few years back, but the cost of healthcare tipped the balance away from early retirement. For years I figured we'd probably see some kind of fix to the problem right around the time I became eligible for Medicare. I was prescient. I became Medicare eligible just as the ACA health exchanges opened up.

*** Note that "pre-existing condition" could mean anything the insurance company wanted it to mean. In early 1993 I had to find health insurance on the open market. I dutifully filled out the exhaustive questionnaire about my health history. I was offered a policy but was told that because in the past 3 years 1) I had spoken to my doctor about menstrual cramps they would not cover anything having to do with my reproductive system and 2) I had consulted my doctor to get my neck checked after a fender bender (and the doctor found nothing amiss) they would not cover anything having to do with my neck or spine. They told me that no matter what may cause a problem in the subsequent 3 years they would not provide any coverage for my suspect body parts. And no, no discount on the premium we will charge you. I still own the Papermate pen I ruined when I smashed it into the table in anger during that phone call. It serves as a reminder about why I so wanted to see our so-called healthcare system reformed.
wshang

Post by wshang »

Will do good wrote:
When you have a pile of $, your income is what you make it to be. If the government determines you get subsidized healthcare at X, you make sure that your capital gains + working, etc does not exceed X. (Remember, income does not equal what you spend, especially if you have a large cash position.) Obamacare's changes will and is having a huge influence upon middle-aged, well-off workers who would like to retire except for pre-existing conditions or an inability to get healthcare outside of their company's plan.

On another but related subject, the first inkling about monetarily being retirement ready is:
1) The market gains more in a day, than your monthly salary.
2) Your annual net worth increases more than your annual salary.
3) Your annual net worth increases doubles your gross annual salary - a 1X net worth increase is savings and salary independent.
The cure shouldn't be worse than the disease.
zed

Post by zed »

... finally use up that box of employer-supplied staples
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

....hit your full retirement age (56 years, 10 months for me), so that you continue your FEHB (federal health benefits) and start getting the FERS pension.

We'll likely hit our number a few years before that, but healthcare costs are too much of an unknown for me to be comfortable giving up the ability to keep the fed gov't bennies.
MP1233

Post by MP1233 »

Crimsontide wrote:

Fourth floor here. Part of my reason for the "long walk" is to get exercise, but I am also able to think more deeply about complex data when I am walking. However, most of the time the long walk is to break up the day and avoid burnout.
Alskar

Post by Alskar »

I thought I had invented this dodge! I work on the 3rd floor. Since we don't have a "campus" I walk down the stairs and outside to use the bathroom at a nearby Starbucks.

High tech sucks...I must be ready to retire!
Lagom är bäst
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

imgritz wrote:After sitting in an office job for 30 years, you long to be a forest ranger.
or, after being a backcountry ranger, you wish to have a life where you can be with your friends and family, hang your hat one last time and file your last tour report. :happy
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

This is so true. The last 6 months I worked at "Giant Software Corp" I would take long loops to get beverages and use the restroom. I would even loop outside if it was nice and stroll around the building. Others were taking smoke breaks and coffee breaks. On my return I knew another call to India was on my to do list.

At that point I knew my salary, no matter how high, was not worth it. Quit. Took 3 months off. I now work from home on the same product, but for a small consulting firm.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

We had a similar problem (albeit with a workaround that we never used) but are now old enough that we don't have to worry about that.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
jacksprat

Post by jacksprat »

.. When a BAD day fishing is better than a GOOD day at work ..

But then fishing is always better than work.. Think I'll retire now :?
chaz

Post by chaz »

Ron wrote:When you finally realize what really is important...

- Ron
A timely cartoon.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

...when your planned hobbies and other activities would take more than a lifetime, even not counting the time wasted on work.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
plannerman

Post by plannerman »

In my case...

When I was having chest pains from the job stress, I had made my number and mega corp made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Retirement has been the best period of my life.

plannerman
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

VictoriaF wrote:...when your planned hobbies and other activities would take more than a lifetime, even not counting the time wasted on work.

Victoria
I don't know if you're joking here, but some hobbies, especially unexpected ones, can require learning almost from the beginning and the learning can't be rushed. It's work, even long hours of hard work, but one is not wasting time. :happy
Last edited by Fallible on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Julieta

Post by Julieta »

Make mistakes at work. Until then, if you like your job, keep working!
Keep It Simple
island

Post by island »

MP1233 wrote:
Crimsontide wrote:

Fourth floor here. Part of my reason for the "long walk" is to get exercise, but I am also able to think more deeply about complex data when I am walking. However, most of the time the long walk is to break up the day and avoid burnout.
How do you all have time for walks? What type of work do you do? Would love the ability to do that!

I work in healthcare and every day is beat the clock. Every minute is so over-scheduled that just a run to the bathroom can put me behind schedule and rarely have time for lunch. That said, I enjoy my work, and don't know when I'll retire, but do think about it more often since I think I'm prepared financially and the more I hear about the flexible work days many people have I want that, but realize I'll only experience that in retirement because no plans for a career change.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

island wrote:How do you all have time for walks? What type of work do you do? Would love the ability to do that!

I work in healthcare and every day is beat the clock. Every minute is so over-scheduled that just a run to the bathroom can put me behind schedule and rarely have time for lunch. That said, I enjoy my work, and don't know when I'll retire, but do think about it more often since I think I'm prepared financially and the more I hear about the flexible work days many people have I want that, but realize I'll only experience that in retirement because no plans for a career change.

"I've been rich and I've been poor: rich is better." Beatrice Kaufman (1895-1945) American writer.

The same sentiment applies to time. I had jobs into which I was engrossed around the clock. And I had jobs from which I could tune out when leaving the office. Both types of jobs exist, but even the best ones can't beat the freedom of the full control of your time that comes with retirement.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)