Poll: Luxury and Happiness

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.

How often have your luxury purchases delivered sustainable improvements to your happiness?

Always
6%
Often
31%
Sometimes
36%
Rarely
19%
Never
8%

Total votes: 228

Tamahome

Re: Poll: Luxury and Happiness

Post by Tamahome »

When I buy, I buy quality that will last, but I do not consider that to be luxury. My wife and I rarely buy luxury items or services because we do not get as much out of them as we get out of regular, solid goods or services. On occasion, we splurge on a nice dinner. I would love to own a Mercedes if money grew on trees, but my Volkswagen Jetta really does do the job well. I have owned it for five years now, and I plan to keep driving it. The extra money to upgrade to a Mercedes would be wasted at this point in life, since the money could be used to go toward building wealth. In turn, that new wealth can allow me to take a good, solid non-luxury vacation to Europe. Those memories would benefit me much more than a Mercedes. My wife and I were walking around the mall (Phipps Plaza in Atlanta for those that know the area), and we saw an Aston Martin for $229,000.00. I joked with my wife that it was only $9,000 more than our house. I told her honestly that I could not imagine spending that much money on a vehicle, when the Atlanta Food Bank really needs money. I want to build comfort for myself and for my family, but I would honestly feel a great deal of guilt if I went that far into luxury. I would become miserable. There is a line where comfort moves into excess. That line is different for different people, but luxury rarely gives me the benefit it appears to give some.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

lowerleisureclass wrote:There are even people who don't have a cell phone at all (!!!) -- only about three of us, though.
I don't have one either however I do always have my iPod with me but I almost never need to use it for time checks because there are clocks just about everywhere I go: home computer/work computer/vehicle radio/bedroom clock/microwave/cable box/etc.
Mingus

Post by Mingus »

goodenyou wrote:While I don't endorse investing in jewelery, if you had bought a $2500 Rolex watch in 2003, it is now worth about $6000 if in good condition. Used Rolexes are highly sought after and do appreciate in value considerably. A lot of people hand them down to their children. They last forever.
I'm not sure how true that is.

I inherited a Rolex that was purchased new in 1987. It cost more than $2500 in 1987.

Had it appraised in 2008. I don't remember the appraisal being that high. The watch had virtually been unworn for the majority of the time so it was in good condition.

Has something happened in the used Rolex market in the last six years to make their values jump?
lululu

Post by lululu »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:For $400 I could buy enough Timex's to last me the rest of my life and have a couple left over.
Why would I buy a $10 watch if my cell phone has the time on it? I don't get it. Now a $1,000 watch would be an accessory or jewelry or a collectible so that I understand.
Consider being in no cell phones allowed areas for some period of time, like a hospital or doctor's office
amitb00

Post by amitb00 »

It is hard for material things (luxury or non luxury) to give happiness for elongated time. Else rich folks would be the happiest. Money can't get you things like good health, caring kids, happy marital life, professional achievement, spiritual fulfillment etc. which are very important for happiness. Lack of money will generally mean misery but presence of money, will just mean that you don't have monetary problems. You can get good health care or buy tuition for your kids etc if you have money.
Generally people feel happiest when they spend money for greater good. So if you donate to a cause you believe in, help out others etc,. you are likely to feel better and get sustained happiness.
If you are spending on yourself, generally money spent on experiences (like good vacation, nice massage, eating out at places where you don't go often) are likely to provide greater happiness as you can recall them, look at the pictures etc.
Alskar

Post by Alskar »

This thread is very interesting to me. It helps explain some things I've wondered about all of my life.

FWIW, I have never really enjoyed any car I've ever owned including the BMW 5 Series I owned. Sure it drove great and was really quiet, but it was very costly to maintain. I was actually relieved when it died at 142K miles with a blown #5 cylinder. Money spent on cars is money wasted in my view. However, my brother loves his cars, motorcycles, and other "toys". He loves washing them, maintaining them and driving them. He has enjoyed every dollar he spent on his toys, including the Porsche he owned. For me, cars are just money pits. Don't really get any pleasure from them.

On the other hand, I spent ~$40K on a semi-Concert grand piano. It remains the only physical possession I ever owned that I would really miss if it were gone. My brother can't understand why I love my piano and I can't understand why he loves his cars.

Mr. Money Mustache (MMM) thinks cars are pure evil, but freely spends his money on wine and beer. I know plenty of people that think alcohol in all forms is pure evil and cars are great fun. Clearly MMM isn't channeling divine truth!

Clearly there are different strokes for different folks. I've come to the conclusion that there are people that truly enjoy physical possessions and there are people that do not. I apparently fall somewhere near the "do not" camp, but that doesn't make me better or worse than the people that enjoy physical stuff.
Lagom är bäst
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

cheese_breath wrote:For $400 I could buy enough Timex's to last me the rest of my life and have a couple left over.
Based on my last watch purchase, that would be 800 watches 8-) so yes I suppose that would last me for the rest of my life. $0.50 at a garage sale for a sparkling gold tone bangle bracelet watch with faux diamonds encrusted in a long S down the band on both sides.... I got a heck of a lot more compliments on that than on my "real" dress watch from people who think it's solid gold! Well I did have to buy a cell for $5 so I suppose the total cost should be $5.50.

We are not so much into luxury, so it's hard to answer your poll. Our luxuries are little ones, like good coffee, warm hand-knit cashmere socks, hiring someone to do certain things around the house or yard the neither of us wants to do anymore, etc. Being able to cut out of the rat race a bit early is going to be our most expensive luxury and I bet it will be well worth it!
-Kathy
amoeba

Post by amoeba »

Mingus wrote:
goodenyou wrote:While I don't endorse investing in jewelery, if you had bought a $2500 Rolex watch in 2003, it is now worth about $6000 if in good condition. Used Rolexes are highly sought after and do appreciate in value considerably. A lot of people hand them down to their children. They last forever.
I'm not sure how true that is.

I inherited a Rolex that was purchased new in 1987. It cost more than $2500 in 1987.

Had it appraised in 2008. I don't remember the appraisal being that high. The watch had virtually been unworn for the majority of the time so it was in good condition.

Has something happened in the used Rolex market in the last six years to make their values jump?
Nah, even being a huge fan of mechanical watches, I realize that watches are a terrible terrible investment. Occasionally you might strike gold if a highly sought after model from Rolex or Patek (milsubs, newman Daytona, original Milgauss, Patek 2499, etc...) becomes very collectable and rises in value but for the most part 99.9% of luxury watches lose value with respect to inflation. Also, I really can't think of a Rolex model that costed only $2500 in 2003 and is worth $6000 today.
MnD

Post by MnD »

We've made a point to focus on luxury experiences. I've never been disappointed in spending money on that.
Long vacations with first class airfare and single-family home or cottage oceanfront rentals
First few row concert tickets
Those sorts of things.

These seem to bring us more happiness than buying luxury stuff we have to protect, insure, repair, polish, clean.......
For "stuff" I prefer best overall value with high reliability and low maintenance over luxury or fancy.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
Gattamelata

Post by Gattamelata »

There are some luxuries that consistently pay off in terms of my satisfaction with them.

1: Investments in myself. Trips, education, running shoes, swim trunks, lap swim fees, and so on.

2: Investments in experiences. My deck repair/rebuild/remodel enabled many, many fantastic times with friends and family out back (and hopefully many more to come). I am much more satisfied with the deck remodel than with my shower remodel. The shower is fancy and looks great, and I use it often, but I remodeled it because the old one was draining into the living room. It was a forced purchase, I don't have any experiences in it that I couldn't have had in the original shower, and I don't get much joy out of it that's specific to the expenditure.

3: Investments in my principles. Charitable gifts, my electric car, charging station for that car, and so on.

I think a separate discussion about whether we are "made to become happy" or whether we "choose to be happy" might be interesting, but possibly off topic here.
Lafder

Post by Lafder »

I answered rarely, because I believe I rarely make luxury purchases. But when I do I usually enjoy them for a sustained time.

My house is more luxury than necessary, and I do enjoy it every day. Yet it is well below what we could have bought costwise.

I bought a midrange model new prius. I was too cheap to get the leather and navigation system since the couple thousand extra seemed extravagant and unnecessary. But a few years in, I wish I had just gotten the leather. Fabric seats get dirty so fast. I appreciate rarely stopping for gas, but it is not much fun to drive (which is just a Prius, not the model I got). I decided next time I am picking the price I want to spend and buying a lightly used fancier model /more of a luxury car that is more of a deal since used.

Luxury is relative. My husband would fall out of his chair laughing to hear me say I don't make luxury purchases often. Because he appreciates that being able to buy any groceries we want , and eat out as often as we wish (not at fancy expensive places), and send our kids to private schools, and buy a new car when we needed it without stressing about the cost, etc etc are in fact all luxury purchases by the majority of human's definition.

I decided I love indiglo/light up watches, and so I am stuck with inexpensive watches unless a nicer brand starts making light up. My most expensive watch in years was 39.99 $ and it felt expensive since there were models closer to 20$ I just did not like as much.

My peer group has people that make more luxury purchases than we do, as well as others who make less luxury purchases than we do. So we do not feel the need to "keep up with the Jones" and sometimes I feel a bit embarrassed about how nice our house is.

My mom thinks I should be less frugal and enjoy spending more.

My husband and I get along $$ since both of us are very careful and thoughtful in how we spend $

lafder
Lane4Imaging

Post by Lane4Imaging »

I'm a serious amateur photographer. I have been into photography for 47 of my 55 years. I have been a digital shooter since 2001. Since I learned at the knee of my Uncle when I was but a child, I have always craved a Leica M camera - because he had one. Folks, these are not cheap, whether or not they are digital or film, we are not talking $200 for a point and shoot here. I own professional Canon equipment, but I have always craved a Leica M. (Basically, one camera, one lens is about $10K, all hand made in Germany, the very best optics in the world).

Last Fall, after a great year (and a great bonus), my perfect Mrs. said, "Why don't you get that Leica?" Wow!

After a lot of research, I bought a refurbished Leica M9 and a new 50mm Summicron lens last Fall. After several months of ownership, I am awed by the quality of the images and the joy I have in shooting this camera. Luxury brand? You bet. But the best image quality in the world. Not for everyone, but I'm happy!

We of course have no consumer debt, a small mortgage at 3.25 percent and enough in retirement plus non-taxed deferred savings that we are close to having "F You" money if needed. I would not have bought this camera if I was 25 years old.
absolutFinance

Post by absolutFinance »

I replied "Sometimes" because I consider the following luxuries worth it in at least one way that drives my happiness:
nanny for our child (30k/year)
luxury suv for my wife (replacing an old civic. we wanted something safer now that we have a child)
nice meals to celebrate special occasions like anniversaries and birthdays (typically $200-500)
premium economy on a trip to Africa ($1k more than economy, but prevented a flare up of back issues)
turning50

Post by turning50 »

Behavioral economics suggests that it is not the intensity of the experience, but the frequency of the experience that provides more (and lasting) happiness. Our investment in luxury centers around frequent trips to fabulous destinations and interesting art pieces that we pick up on our trips. It reminds us of the trip and are good heirlooms for kids and grandkids.
turning50

Post by turning50 »

absolutFinance wrote:I replied "Sometimes" because I consider the following luxuries worth it in at least one way that drives my happiness:
luxury suv for my wife (replacing an old civic. we wanted something safer now that we have a child)
nice meals to celebrate special occasions like anniversaries and birthdays (typically $200-500)
premium economy on a trip to Africa ($1k more than economy, but prevented a flare up of back issues)
Just returned from a trip to Kruger and Capetown. We invest in business class tickets. It is expensive, but is an investment in our aging lower backs. Where did you guys go?
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

HardKnocker wrote:More money has not made me happier.

More comfortable yes but not happier.

I was just as happy when I had two nickels.
Yep. I think to a large degree happiness is inborn. There is some minimum, hard to be happy when you can't feed your kids, but after that any benefit to money slows greatly or stops.

Other than the occasional fine diner out or delux family vacation I don't really spend on luxury items (though the definition of luxury is person dependent - just replaced a 10 year old Accord with a new base model Forester. To some a new base model car is just a car, to someone who can only afford to buy the 10 year old Accord it would be a luxury.)
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 »

I very rarely buy luxurious items because they make feel guilty. Being frugal and witnessing extreme poverty in third world countries may explain it.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell
lululu

Post by lululu »

I just realized that I have a luxury item that makes me happy every time I use it, a Chief Joseph Pendleton blanket. Several hundred bucks, and worth every dime in comfort and attractiveness.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

When my wife retired in April of this year I bought her a Dale Chihuly Marigold Persian flower-like piece. Chihuly has a connection to UW-Madison where we live and I work (at least until July 3). He was in the first group of graduate students in the glass making program, which was the first of its type in the country. Every year the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art has four of his pieces for sale so I bought one for my wife after consulting with her as to which piece she would like. She has always admired his work. First thing I did when I got it home was to get it insured. This is what it looks like: http://www.artnet.com/artists/dale-chih ... hkEnSwe_Q2

It was not the most expensive thing we every bought. It has no practical value like a car or a house except that it radiates beauty, which is value enough.
absolutFinance

Post by absolutFinance »

turning50 wrote:
absolutFinance wrote:I replied "Sometimes" because I consider the following luxuries worth it in at least one way that drives my happiness:
Just returned from a trip to Kruger and Capetown. We invest in business class tickets. It is expensive, but is an investment in our aging lower backs. Where did you guys go?
we went to joberg (including soweto), kruger, port elizabeth and jeffreys bay. pretty awesome experience overall! when our kids are old enough, i definitely want to take them on safari
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

absolutFinance wrote:we went to joberg (including soweto), kruger, port elizabeth and jeffreys bay. pretty awesome experience overall! when our kids are old enough, i definitely want to take them on safari
We went to Mala Mala Game Reserve when our youngest was 8 1/2 years old. She might have been a bit young for it, but it worked.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

Lane4Imaging wrote: (Basically, one camera, one lens is about $10K, all hand made in Germany, the very best optics in the world).

Last Fall, after a great year (and a great bonus), my perfect Mrs. said, "Why don't you get that Leica?" Wow!
Wow indeed. I had a pretty good year last year too but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on purchasing an entry level DSLR :oops: To each his own I suppose :beer
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

turning50 wrote: interesting art pieces that we pick up on our trips. It reminds us of the trip and are good heirlooms for kids and grandkids.
Oh, please, I beg of you, rethink this! My inlaws will need to downsize in the next few years, and their almost 4000 sq ft house is packed with art acquired from their travels to offload to their three children and we don't want any of it! Those Balinese masks and Sri Lankan wall hangings are lovely but they have no significance to us and our house is full already. In fact my husband would like a larger home of our own but I told him we aren't moving before they do, because we need to hang onto our excuse to say no.
Gattamelata

Post by Gattamelata »

lululu wrote:I just realized that I have a luxury item that makes me happy every time I use it, a Chief Joseph Pendleton blanket. Several hundred bucks, and worth every dime in comfort and attractiveness.
Oh, Pendleton Mills! Why do you want me to be warm, comfortable, and poor?

Although I think this could open up another interesting tangent about buying quality items that will last a long time vs. much less expensive items that aren't as durable. If you have heirs, they may wind up coveting that blanket. My dad's Pendleton and Filson stuff was the source of much haggling and speculation during the time we were settling his possessions.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

lululu wrote:I just realized that I have a luxury item that makes me happy every time I use it, a Chief Joseph Pendleton blanket. Several hundred bucks, and worth every dime in comfort and attractiveness.
Oh! I have one of those too! Got mine for $100 at a close-out at a pow-wow supply store. At the time I thought 'Shame on you, spending $100 on your own personal blanket!' but gosh, some of the best money I ever spent. It really does make me happy every time I use it. Perfect way to end the day wrapped in my colorful Pendleton blanket with a book and a cat in my reading chair. Now that's luxury!
macchiato

Post by macchiato »

I think of some luxuries as things you have access to but don't necessarily need to use but you're glad they're there if you use them.

San Francisco within driving distance is one of my favorite luxuries. I can go there anytime I want but don't have to live there.
GiGiLuna

Post by GiGiLuna »

I get what scone is saying, on a visceral level and yet that view is from 30,000 feet as well. It makes me a bit sad too.

As far as myself - I guess I would say my college education was a luxury, since it exceeded the financial grasp of the family I came from…the happiness produced from that experience was immeasurable.

later in life I would say it was cosmetic surgery that as a luxury has produced much happiness - my family has a genetic tendency for drooping eye lids at an early age. I have lovely eyes, so I paid to have that corrected and now I have my beautiful eyes back to see a world of happiness…

I am still curious about the fully automated espresso machine - that sounds like something that could produce quite a bit of happiness for me. More details please?

Gigi
Desert

Post by Desert »

Abe wrote:
Leesbro63 wrote:The only luxury items that I've found "of value" are Lexus cars and Ralph Lauren POLO shirts (bought with coupons, on sale, at the "outlet" store, but still expensive). I enjoy every dollar's worth that I've spent on my Lexus cars. I inherited a 18K gold Rolex watch that I'm thinking about selling on Ebay for about $13,000. I rarely wear it and don't even get why anyone needs any watch any more (with a smartphone always in hand). My Vizio TV appears the same to my eye as my TV-o-phile friend's $25,000 TV.
One time my wife and I were eating at a nice restaurant with several other couples. They were all showing off their expensive Rolex watches. I had on a $10.00 watch that I bought at Walmart. I pulled my shirt sleeve down over my watch hoping no one would see it, but someone said they wanted to see my watch. I reluctantly took it off and laid it on the table. They all laughed and one guy threw it in a glass of beer. I fished it out, dried it off and put it back on. A long time later, one of the guys who was sitting at that table told me they all thought I was broke back then, but he said he knows now that I had more money than all of them. He said they laughed at me back then for wearing a cheap watch, but that was the reason I had it. :wink:
You really need some new friends.
bcboy57

Post by bcboy57 »

Last fall I spent bundle on new skis and new ski boots. Worth every penny...best year of skiing ever....
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

macchiato wrote:San Francisco within driving distance is one of my favorite luxuries. I can go there anytime I want but don't have to live there.
I am more picky. I need to be within a walking distance from a major city, or better, to live in a major city.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I think for a lot of people they save by convincing themselves luxuries aren't worth it. They are just overpriced versions of everyday items that work no better and are just bought for status. And there is probably a fair amount of truth to that on certain levels. So perhaps instead of using the word luxuries we should use the word pleasures to better understand what these items mean to people because a please can be a $5 beer, $20 burger or $10,000 Safari and many more things too.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
burt

Post by burt »

cheese_breath wrote: Now my primary luxury is Nabisco pinwheel cookies.
I like that. Very good.

I guess my pleasures might be homemade bread and quality shoes. Not stylish shoes, comfortable shoes.
OK, Good Bourbon.

burt
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

People who spend lots of money on luxury items are doing the economy good. They put their money back in circulation and provide jobs to all those who make and service the goods they are buying.

When I see Hollywood celebrities and sports stars spending vast sums for mansions, cars, and other things I think about this. Just think of all the people they employ to take care of all this stuff they buy. Many of them end up bankrupt of course.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou »

cheese_breath wrote:
Now my primary luxury is Nabisco pinwheel cookies. They bring a lot more happiness than the store brands.
Maybe you should change your name to cookie_breath :D
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | “At 50, everyone has the face he deserves”
terpfan122

Post by terpfan122 »

My most recent luxury purchase was a brand new F150 in 2012 with many bells and whistles. This purchase enables my hobbies and lifestyle as I regularly use it for towing my toys (TT and quads) and also provides a lot of functionality for frequent needs such as hauling mulch and other items. I consider it a luxury purchase because 1) I bought new instead of used and 2) because its a higher trim model (FX4) with lots of extras. These luxuries provide additional enjoyment. I think I get a lot of enjoyment because they make life easier and because for a little more money I get a lot of enjoyment for a vehicle I will likely have for roughly 8 years. This luxury purchase did not place my financial goals in any jeopardy. Thus - $$ well spent and no regrets 2 years later (except I should have spend a few more dollars for an additional luxury item I wish I had on the truck but don't). The BH in me says oh well - lesson learned and I will make sure I include that option 6 years from now.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

obgyn65 wrote:I very rarely buy luxurious items because they make feel guilty. Being frugal and witnessing extreme poverty in third world countries may explain it.
Do you donate time or money to worthy causes? I find that I don't have guilt over luxuries or indulgences because I know that I give back. Although, I occasionally chastise myself when complaining about 'first world problems'.

-Steph
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

amitb00 wrote:It is hard for material things (luxury or non luxury) to give happiness for elongated time.
I would like to rewrite your comment as the luxury to give happiness of elongated time. Most people, including those with money, don't understand what makes them happy and they spend on wrong luxuries. Elongating time is an excellent way to create happiness. This elongation can be accomplished by engaging in activities that feel like lifetime. And it can be an outcome of delegating, outsourcing, and avoiding undesired chores. As an example of false economy, one may chose to live far from work justifying it by the property values, in the mean time wasting his time in a long commute. A luxury creating happiness would be to live close to work while giving up some real-estate benefits.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 »

Abe wrote:cheese_breath
My phone is also an AT&T GoPhone (flip phone). My wife and I share the one phone because most of the time one of us can receive calls on our land line. Did you know you can pay $100.00 per year and get 1000 minutes (10c per minute). As long as you don't use over 1000 minutes it only cost $100.00 per year. I have over $300.00 carryover since I don't always use the 1000 minutes. I've had a couple of years that I did not have to pay anything more for another year because I had a surplus. I didn't have a cell phone either until my mother got sick and I needed a way to call her on the few occasions when I was away. It's like a lot of things like that though, I find that I am getting used to having it and it does come in handy at times.
2000 minutes for an entire year for $80 with Pageplus (Verizon Network) minus $0.50 fee a month. So really, 1850 minutes for an entire year for $80. With Pageplus you can get your costs as low as $30 a year (if you can live off of 240 minutes).

Or, you could use freedompop and get a free small talk/text/data plan (Sprint network) and buy (or bring in) an older generation galaxy/iphone smartphone :happy
Abe

Post by Abe »

2000 minutes for an entire year for $80 with Pageplus (Verizon Network) minus $0.50 fee a month. So really, 1850 minutes for an entire year for $80. With Pageplus you can get your costs as low as $30 a year (if you can live off of 240 minutes).

Or, you could use freedompop and get a free small talk/text/data plan (Sprint network) and buy (or bring in) an older generation galaxy/iphone smartphone :happy[/quote]

Thanks centrifuge41. I knew my plan was not the absolute cheapest one out there, but it's good enough for me. We get good service and reception with it so I probably would not change. I was just advising cheese-breath about the 10c plan in case he didn't know about it since we both have GoPhones.
Slow and steady wins the race.
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Interesting - seems all relative, as base on posts here, these can be seen as luxuries:
Leather seats in a vehicle
Going from an older vehicle to a 3 year old vehicle
Shopping at Whole Foods
A watch that costs more than $10
Jewelry - All
Paying for private school
Cable TV
Manicures and pedicures on a regular basis
Not having to work more than a 9-5 job
An SLR
Big screen TV
Latest smartphone
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)
dmcmahon

Post by dmcmahon »

I buy things that might be considered luxury items when I get (or think I get) a better value for money. So in me you have the apparent contradiction of a guy walking out of the grocery store with a bag full of store brand and sale items and throwing it into the back of a Lexus. In no particular order:

Lexus - best car I've ever owned, though I wish they made a mid sized wagon.
Big screen Sony - countless hours of entertainment for little cost.
iPad and IPhone - ok the pad was a gift, but these devices I use every day and have more than paid for themselves in value received.
Remodeled rooms in house - love em despite the expense. Plus maybe I'll get some of it back on resale.
Expensive scotch - a minor indulgence, plus I have a friend from Scotland who won't abide anything less.
Dining out - my social life would be non existent without this expense, worth every penny.
Organic meats - I don't eat meat much, but when I do, I only eat (and serve) the very best
Furniture - don't have much good stuff because I have pets, but otherwise I seem to have a taste for pieces that will last forever.
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

dmcmahon wrote:I buy things that might be considered luxury items when I get (or think I get) a better value for money. So in me you have the apparent contradiction of a guy walking out of the grocery store with a bag full of store brand and sale items and throwing it into the back of a Lexus. In no particular order:

Lexus - best car I've ever owned, though I wish they made a mid sized wagon.
What year and model?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)