Car Insurance - Which company do you use?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
MrMiyagi

Car Insurance - Which company do you use?

Post by MrMiyagi »

Specifically for California. I have used the same company for many years that provided great coverage at fair prices. However, they don't cover in California. I currently have 2 cars insured for the same price Geico would insure one in CA (~800 bucks).

What car insurance company do you use? Any pointers on things I should definitely make sure it covers. Thanks!

Edit: Any recommendations on minimum coverage for x,y,z in California? Are there tons of uninsured people driving for example? We are not in the military so can't get USAA.
Last edited by MrMiyagi on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gunn_show

Re: Car Insurance - Which company do you use?

Post by gunn_show »

for a perfect record or 1 point or less, no one beats Wawanesa rates in CA while having a A+ rated carrier standing by AM Best ... but they are really old school, you have to call and give your info, and you get this old typed package in the mail and buy it that way.

I used to sell insurance for Geico... they have a great product and service, but usually not the cheapest unless you live in a favorable zip code, drive low miles, and are in a top profession with grad degree (yes, those are rating categories). But if you can get a good rate, I would go with Geico over most any others
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
hq38sq43

Post by hq38sq43 »

USAA since 1965. Can't beat them for service and hard to beat them for price. Their slogan is "We know what it means to serve," and I'm convinced they're right.

Best regards,
Harry at Bradenton
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Liberty Mutual. Just had a claim for a totaled car. No issues getting the money for the car and 2 new car seats. And all medical bills covered with no issues as well. This is only my 2nd year with them. I tend to switch companies frequently for monetary reasons.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

hq38sq43 wrote:USAA since 1965. Can't beat them for service and hard to beat them for price. Their slogan is "We know what it means to serve," and I'm convinced they're right.

Best regards,
can't offer up USAA without the caveat that you have to be military related ... so it is not freely available to everyone. that being said, if you qualify, I agree, USAA is probably superior to all others.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
LowER

Post by LowER »

Another vote for USAA. I'm in a bit of sticker shock adding three teens and 3 cars recently - ouch! They have been so great for 28 years that I didn't comparison shop though while the teens were being added.
wander

Post by wander »

tommy_gunn wrote:for a perfect record or 1 point or less, no one beats Wawanesa rates in CA while having a A+ rated carrier standing by AM Best ... but they are really old school, you have to call and give your info, and you get this old typed package in the mail and buy it that way.

I used to sell insurance for Geico... they have a great product and service, but usually not the cheapest unless you live in a favorable zip code, drive low miles, and are in a top profession with grad degree (yes, those are rating categories). But if you can get a good rate, I would go with Geico over most any others
+1. I used to have Wawanesa but then I moved out of California and I had to go with different insurance company. GEICO gave me best rate. I am thinking about ERIE, wonder if anyone has experience with it?
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

21st Century insured my car for almost twenty-five years. Today, however, I donated my car. Several hours after Speed's Towing towed away my car, I called 21st Century to cancel my insurance.
Gordon
b4real

Post by b4real »

USAA since 1978 for car and home insurance and checking account. Also life ins when I had it. Great company.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (insurance).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

Have used Mercury Insurance and USAA. Both have been OK for us, but the USAA rates are lower than Mercury. Have never made any claims.

Post by 123 »

I know this isn't a very exciting option but I've used State Farm in California for over 30 years. Homeowners & Auto. Every few years I shop price for better deals. I've passed on some other insurers with a tad lower rates, the rates for my policies have just been too consistent year after year to risk a change. I'm a very boring car insurance prospect. No tickets. Two insurance claims. One was for a replacement windshield 25 years ago (wind damage) and another was for a vehicle totaled when it was hit by another car while it was parked on a public street. Insurance settlement for the totaled car was prompt and very fair. I just have no complaints about them.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

GEICO.

Haven't been able to beat their rates yet. Have had a few accidents and they handled them well too.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
skatterZ

Post by skatterZ »

USAA for 44 years. Good prices, great service.
USAA unlike most insurance companies knows that if you are unhappy, you automatically know other policy holders to complain about service( other military and ex military friends)
No other company has to worry about you knowing who other policy holders are.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

USAA here, but any of these might do:

Mutual insurance companies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_insurance
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

JD Powers annually surveys thousand of people who use insurance. Here are their latest results for auto insurance for California.

http://ratings.jdpower.com/insurance/ra ... /index.htm

USAA (if you can get it), State Farm, Hartford and Wawanesa (best overall) get the top marks.
widestance

Post by widestance »

Wawanesa for me. No one could touch their rates.
I can vouch for their easy claims process too.
Everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the face - Mike Tyson
Watts

Post by Watts »

State Farm previously, Amica currently. I have had good experiences with both companies, but switched to Amica for their lower rates.
tj

Post by tj »

tommy_gunn wrote:for a perfect record or 1 point or less, no one beats Wawanesa rates in CA while having a A+ rated carrier standing by AM Best ... but they are really old school, you have to call and give your info, and you get this old typed package in the mail and buy it that way.

I'm in CA and Wawanesa is not lower than USAA.
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

Geico

This should have been a poll