How do you walk away from a good job?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

How do you walk away from a good job?

Post by TheTimeLord »

I took an early retirement package from my last company but knew I would still have to work a couple more years. I figured I would be doing good to get 70% of my previous pay at my new job. Well instead I ended up getting a job contracting that pay considerably more than I was making before and now have a solo 401K. I plan to retire totally in 2-5 years, more likely 2. But I have no clue how I would ever walk away from this job. Any insights from people who walked away in their 50s from really good jobs? How did you know it was time to go?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Call_Me_Op

Re: How do you walk away from a good job?

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Why do you have to walk away? As far as I am concerned, if I don't want to leave my job, it's not time to retire yet.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Call_Me_Op wrote:Why do you have to walk away? As far as I am concerned, if I don't want to leave my job, it's not time to retire yet.
It is more of a golden handcuffs type of situation. It is by a good margin the best compensation I have ever received. But there are a lot of things I want to do while I am young and healthy enough to do them and money isn't everything to me.
Last edited by TheTimeLord on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

To me a "good job" was never about the money. The money just came. I never took a job for the money. When I finally stopped, money was never a consideration.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

jebmke wrote:To me a "good job" was never about the money. The money just came. I never took a job for the money. When I finally stopped, money was never a consideration.
The job and the people are excellent to. But, at least currently as a contractor I find it difficult to take time off because I realize I will lose X dollars by not working that day. And that is not condusive to a healthy lifestyle in my opinion.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:
Call_Me_Op wrote:Why do you have to walk away? As far as I am concerned, if I don't want to leave my job, it's not time to retire yet.
It is more of a golden handcuffs type of situation. It is by a good margin the best compensation I have ever received. But there are a lot of things I want to do while I am young and healthy enough to do them and money isn't everything to me.
any chance you can convert to part time? I was already 65 when I made the move and I got nearly 10 years as a marketing consultant while living in a retirement environment - until the passion & fun & motivation ran out...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

1530jesup wrote:
StarbuxInvestor wrote:
any chance you can convert to part time? I was already 65 when I made the move and I got nearly 10 years as a marketing consultant while living in a retirement environment - until the passion & fun & motivation ran out...
Possibly. 3 days a week would be ideal, even 4 would allow me a great flexibility to do some of the things I want.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

You should read John Bogle's write-up on Enough!
No man on his deathbed ever said, I wish I could work some more to accumulate more gold (read: cash). Maybe Silas Marnas - are you Silas? counting your gold coins at night?

When you have Enough! you'll know it's time to go! When your work is done, you'll know you're done.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:But, at least currently as a contractor I find it difficult to take time off because I realize I will lose X dollars by not working that day. And that is not condusive to a healthy lifestyle in my opinion.
I looked at it differently when I was a contractor. I had the flexibility to take time off that employees simply didn't have. I had clients in several cities so I wasn't exclusive to any one client. I was lucky in that if my clients wanted me to do the work, they would work with my schedule whether I was working at another client in another city or on vacation for a month. I would work with their schedule if things were time critical. I was saving 50% of my gross income while working only 4-7 months a year. I could have made more money if I worked 11-12 months a year but I wanted to do other things as well and the money was pretty good working half a year, way more than when I working full time as an employee. Sometimes those projects were intensive - 80 hr weeks for weeks but I loved the flexibility to take lots of time off in between projects.

The contract work was fun for the first 10 years and got less and less fun. When it got a lot less fun, I just did less of it and did more of other things.
Wiki
Bidwell

Post by Bidwell »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:I took an early retirement package from my last company but knew I would still have to work a couple more years. I figured I would be doing good to get 70% of my previous pay at my new job. Well instead I ended up getting a job contracting that pay considerably more than I was making before and now have a solo 401K. I plan to retire totally in 2-5 years, more likely 2. But I have no clue how I would ever walk away from this job. Any insights from people who walked away in their 50s from really good jobs? How did you know it was time to go?

Starbuxinvestor, IMO you are passionate about life itself but work to support yourself (like most of us). Now you have a surprise on your hands. May I say it's not how to walk away but how you see your life's mission. Define your mission, focus on it and everything fits into place. Look above the fray, above the numbers and see those goals that help you accomplish that personal mission which might surprise you even more.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

modelamike wrote:
StarbuxInvestor wrote:I took an early retirement package from my last company but knew I would still have to work a couple more years. I figured I would be doing good to get 70% of my previous pay at my new job. Well instead I ended up getting a job contracting that pay considerably more than I was making before and now have a solo 401K. I plan to retire totally in 2-5 years, more likely 2. But I have no clue how I would ever walk away from this job. Any insights from people who walked away in their 50s from really good jobs? How did you know it was time to go?

Starbuxinvestor, IMO you are passionate about life and work to support yourself and interests (like most of us). Now you have a surprise on your hands. May I say it's not how to walk away but how you see your life's mission. Define your mission, focus on it and everything fits into place. Look above the fray, above the numbers and see those goals that help you accomplish that personal mission which might surprise you even more.
I like that approach.
kayo

Post by kayo »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:
Most people who work are trying to achieve some type of goal, like putting food on the table, or having a warm, dry place to sleep at night. They may also be motivated by the social upside of working for a company, or appreciate the mental stimulation.

However, when you reach the point where your job is preventing you from achieving your goals rather than helping you achieve them then it's time to re-evaluate the situation.

Maybe there is a way you can change your job that will improve your life situation ("work to live" vs "live to work") and still benefit your employer. It's certainly worth a discussion with management. If it doesn't work out, then part ways and move ahead with your own life agenda.

Good luck.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

“It is so hard to leave—until you leave. And then it is the easiest [...] thing in the world.” -- John Green
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I also have a good job and have difficulty walking away from it. To make it easier to break away, I am making various exciting plans that are impossible to accomplish while having a job.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
midareff

Post by midareff »

I think the first step is to stop wondering how to walk away. When the things you want to do become more important than the income your path will be clear, and you will at a minimum want to work less, maybe not at all. No point to wonder now... now should be Borden's time.. if you get my meaning. Let the flow be your guide.

I used to have a great job...... reasonably well paid, great benefits... politics and the housing downturn took all the joy from being a municipal employee. I figured my exit time and the couple of years went by quick enough despite multiple significant pay and benefit cuts. Getting over the place was a little tougher... took the whole elevator trip from the 10th floor to the lobby. Really don't know how I ever had the time to go to work and it's just two years retired this week.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

Quickly and stash the cash 8-)
greg24

Post by greg24 »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:Possibly. 3 days a week would be ideal, even 4 would allow me a great flexibility to do some of the things I want.
If you are truly a contractor, you choose when and how often you work. Just start working four day weeks.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I decided to walk away because I felt I had enough money and many things I wanted to do that would not be accomplished while I was working. I also wanted a less stressful and more enjoyable life than work provided for me.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

greg24 wrote:
StarbuxInvestor wrote:Possibly. 3 days a week would be ideal, even 4 would allow me a great flexibility to do some of the things I want.
If you are truly a contractor, you choose when and how often you work. Just start working four day weeks.
I guess that is true if I want to pursue another contract position with different terms.
nanosour

Post by nanosour »

I walked away from my dream job to move 3000 miles away and live where we wanted to live. Had enough money and found it was priceless to live and grow old where we chose. It was all about having control over my life.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

You have to decide what are the most important things in life to you. All work? All play? Something in between?

Think about it. In your situation, you have the flexibility to make the choice on what direction you want to go. Many people do not have this level of flexibility.

In your case, it is not about choice, it's about indecision and perhaps some fear of the "unknown".

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
basspond

Post by basspond »

What is your main goal? Making more money, staying productive, flexibility of retirement, tired of working, etc. Once you decide on that your decision will be easy.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

You should walk away because you want to rather than because you or anyone else thinks you should.
Near retirement

Post by Near retirement »

Today, I did just that! At the end of my current contract, I will retire from my career. I recently turned 60, have paid off all debt, and have aligned portfolio to 55/45. I will enroll in ObamaCare to bridge me to Medicare with plans to wait to 70 for SS. I will place my energy into joyous adventures, artistic interests, exercise, family/friends, and living each day with healthy, hopeful goodness. I waffled back and forth for a while due to fear, but I have gained clarity and peace. I do not feel like I am walking away from a good job; I am walking toward a good life. I wish you the best as you make your decisions.

Near Retirement (really near!)
cfs

Post by cfs »

Good conversation.

Simple answer. Just do it (and no, this is not a sport shoes commercial). I have a good-paying job, but I no longer have the desired nor the need to walk out of my home prior to 0400 (that is 4 AM in civilian time) working 12-14 hours regularly as a contractor. I will submit my letter very soon. I will not look back. Next stop is our well-deserved trip to the East Coast followed by our well-deserved trip to Amazonias (reservations already made).

Thanks for reading this note.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 »

I like that approach also but it is much easier said than done. I also have a life mission, but am I ready to walk away from my full time employment ? I am only 49 years old...
StarbuxInvestor wrote:
modelamike wrote:

Starbuxinvestor, IMO you are passionate about life and work to support yourself and interests (like most of us). Now you have a surprise on your hands. May I say it's not how to walk away but how you see your life's mission. Define your mission, focus on it and everything fits into place. Look above the fray, above the numbers and see those goals that help you accomplish that personal mission which might surprise you even more.
I like that approach.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell
JDDS

Post by JDDS »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:
jebmke wrote:To me a "good job" was never about the money. The money just came. I never took a job for the money. When I finally stopped, money was never a consideration.
The job and the people are excellent to. But, at least currently as a contractor I find it difficult to take time off because I realize I will lose X dollars by not working that day. And that is not condusive to a healthy lifestyle in my opinion.
I feel similarly about taking time off. If I feel pretty awful on a day I don't hesitate to stay in bed. I also let my friends know that I'm available almost any time with some notice, but that in absence of specific plans I'll be working a normalish first shift. I'm lucky though that I rarely work more than 40 hours a week; I just work 40 hours nearly every week.
travellight

Post by travellight »

I empathize with you, Op. I feel the same way. Lots of good points here.... I think there is a lot of fear of the unknown when the known is quite good. For me, there is also the issue that I worked so hard to get to "work", 14 grueling years of education after high school just to be able to do this. On a social mission level, I feel the work is very worthwhile and important so that will be difficult to replace in retirement (although I plan to). There is also the challenge of feeling "enough" financial security even though my brain tells me it should be fine.
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

DW was absolutely at the top of her field and game and working like a Trojan when she was suddenly disabled and our life plans shifted dramatically. Oddly enough we are fine for money. But there are things we can no longer do

But as they say, you are a long time dead
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I have decided to commit to another 11 months. Then take it in 3 month chunks from there.
leonard

Post by leonard »

One of the best parts about being a contractor is that the higher pay and nature of the job provides much greater flexibility than being an employee.

If you want more free time - structure your assignment to be three quarter time, half time, or whatever ratio you want and your customer can live with. Then, manage to those hours and use the new free time for what you want. Some consultants contractors fear that this might alienate their customer. If you are extremely good at your job, your customer will be very happy to get whatever time they can. So, don't let fear keep you from making your life work the way you want and can afford to make it work.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
Zabar

Post by Zabar »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:But, at least currently as a contractor I find it difficult to take time off because I realize I will lose X dollars by not working that day. And that is not condusive to a healthy lifestyle in my opinion.
I believe that you're framing the situation incorrectly. While you earn money by working there, you don't "lose" money by not working. The earned dollars are real; the "lost" dollars are theoretical, and don't really count.

It's a bit like people who purchase a coat that usually costs $200 when it goes on sale for $150, and proudly announce that they've "saved" $50. No, they've spent $150.
Clearly_Irrational

Post by Clearly_Irrational »

I always find this conversation confusing. I mean, if you love it so much you'd do it for free, then why leave? If you don't love it that much then why would you stay one minute past the time you have to?
lemme think

Post by lemme think »

StarbuxInvestor wrote: But I have no clue how I would ever walk away from this job. Any insights from people who walked away in their 50s from really good jobs? How did you know it was time to go?
It seems if you are asking the question, you're not ready to go!
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:I have decided to commit to another 11 months. Then take it in 3 month chunks from there.

With an academic job, I decided two years ago that I would no longer work in summer months. I have not hit my comfortable number yet, but I do not want to work as crazily as I used to.
wholeinone04

Post by wholeinone04 »

Clearly_Irrational wrote:I always find this conversation confusing. I mean, if you love it so much you'd do it for free, then why leave? If you don't love it that much then why would you stay one minute past the time you have to?
Haha I was thinking the exact same thing. Most people work b/c they need the money to pay for expenses, fund retirement, etc. Once you have enough money in savings/investments to fund all that you no longer have to work. At that point, if you enjoy your job keep doing it. If you don't, quit.

The best jobs are ones that don't feel like work at all.
freddie

Post by freddie »

I love skiing. But I wouldn't want to ski 40 hours/wk for 11 months of the year. Unfortunately with jobs, there are a lot that will not let you scale back to 24 hours/week

wholeinone04 wrote:
Clearly_Irrational wrote:I always find this conversation confusing. I mean, if you love it so much you'd do it for free, then why leave? If you don't love it that much then why would you stay one minute past the time you have to?
Haha I was thinking the exact same thing. Most people work b/c they need the money to pay for expenses, fund retirement, etc. Once you have enough money in savings/investments to fund all that you no longer have to work. At that point, if you enjoy your job keep doing it. If you don't, quit.

wholeinone04

Post by wholeinone04 »

freddie wrote:I love skiing. But I wouldn't want to ski 40 hours/wk for 11 months of the year. Unfortunately with jobs, there are a lot that will not let you scale back to 24 hours/week

wholeinone04 wrote:

That's a good point. I guess that's why I like working for myself in addition to my day job since you can set your own hours and scale up/down as you please. You are right though, most industries require 40 hrs/week or nada. But I do think society is leaning towards more part time workers so why not at least ask?
tractorguy

Post by tractorguy »

For me, the trigger was losing a good friend to cancer when I was 57. He was in his mid 40's, in wonderful shape, when he was diagnosed with melanoma. He only survived for a year after they found it.

This was a wake up call for me. I enjoyed my job and always had in the back of my mind that I'd stay there until a "normal" retirement age of 65 or maybe retire early at 62. My friends death was a kick in the face reminder that there is no guarantee that there will be a life after retirement.

After my friend passed away, I started running the numbers through my retirement calculator at work, Firecalc, and all of the other calculators I could find. I was pleasantly surprised that a lifetime of LBYM, a lucky decision to pick a company that had a defined benefit pension and remained profitable for my tenure with them, and a good salary because I had accepted some overseas assignments gave me more than enough to live on. I made the decision to retire at 58 when I could start collecting a pension. Going part time wasn't an option for me. If it had been, I may have considered it just to keep in contact with my co-workers.

That was 4 years ago. I've found other interests and have absolutely no regrets. I've found plenty of other things to do, including volunteer work that is just as rewarding as anything I did for pay. The best part is that my spouse and I are masters of our own time now.

IMOP, there are three requirements to a happy retirement. They are:
1) Sufficient money to live the life you want to live. Only you can decide how much that is. If you are a bibliophile and are going to spend your retirement reading and volunteering at the library, your expenses are going to be much less than if you use retirement to sail around the world in your dream yacht.
2) Initiative to decide what you want to do and make it happen. The Man is no longer going to tell you to go to work every day. Instead, you have to get up and get out of the house and get involved with something. If you stay at home all day watching TV, you probably won't get the same enjoyment you did while at work.
3) Agreement with your significant other on what it is you are going to do with both of your time. Instead of running off to work and meeting each other in passing, you now are going to be spending significant time together (if you want to).
Lorne