Taxes: Claiming a dependent that receives Social Security

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
jwblue

Taxes: Claiming a dependent that receives Social Security

Post by jwblue »

I have an elderly sister that lives with me. Can I claim her as a dependent if her Social Security payments are more than half of her support? She pays some of her Social Security for food and secondary health insurance premiums. She saves the rest.

I am finding conflicting information online. I read that there is rule that if her Social Security Payments are greater than one half her support, I can not claim her.

I also read that if the Social Security payment money is set aside for another use besides support, then the it does not count towards the money paid towards support for the purpose of determining dependent eligibility.

I know about the worksheet in this IRS publication below. The rule would trump anything on that worksheet.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf
sscritic

Re: Taxes: Claiming a dependent that receives Social Securit

Post by sscritic »

Do you not believe the IRS?
Person's own funds not used for support.
A person's own funds are not support unless they are actually spent for support.

Example. Your mother received $2,400 in social security benefits and $300 in interest. She paid $2,000 for lodging and $400 for recre­ ation. She put $300 in a savings account.

Even though your mother received a total of $2,700 ($2,400 + $300), she spent only $2,400 ($2,000 + $400) for her own support. If you spent more than $2,400 for her support and no other support was received, you have provided more than half of her support.
(from the pub you linked and presumably read)

Does this not correspond to your situation?
Topic Author
jwblue

Re: Taxes: Claiming a dependent that receives Social Securit

Post by jwblue »

sscritic wrote:Do you not believe the IRS?
Person's own funds not used for support.
A person's own funds are not support unless they are actually spent for support.

Example. Your mother received $2,400 in social security benefits and $300 in interest. She paid $2,000 for lodging and $400 for recre­ ation. She put $300 in a savings account.

Even though your mother received a total of $2,700 ($2,400 + $300), she spent only $2,400 ($2,000 + $400) for her own support. If you spent more than $2,400 for her support and no other support was received, you have provided more than half of her support.
(from the pub you linked and presumably read)

Does this not correspond to your situation?
Thank you. :oops: